Spencer's At The Waterfront

Spencer's At The Waterfront Employee Reviews

Canada14 reviews
Don't even bother
It's a circus. Long, hard shifts, everyone is doing way too much overtime, high turnover rate, coworkers are great people, but most of the management sucked - a few of the chefs were incredible people, but FOH manager is a complete witch. People are stressed 24/7 and can never keep up. Stuck up customers complaining every night.

If you want a difficult, fast paced job, it's fun! Until you realize it's awful and you're exhausted physically and mentally.
Pros
Great cooks to be friends with, food tastes good
Cons
Long shifts, high turnover rate, pay for lunch and uniforms, excessive overtime
Employee
Not the best place to learn and grow as an individual. There are way more restaurants/hospitality groups that will treat and respect you very well. So much potential for a beautiful spot at the heart of burlington.
It just needs better leaders that actually cares about what they do and not just about yelling at your face all the time.
Absolutely Hate It H
Spencer’s is a great place to start working if you love arduous shifts and no appreciation from management. The food is mediocre and boring. I was planning a flight to Italy for New Years to see my grandparents (which in my mind was a reasonable reason to use my vacation days) but I was denied because they “already put me in the system”. Now I am forced to switch flights and maybe never see my grandparents again (both have cancer, which I’ve fought up with my manager) or lose my job. All because management was too lazy to find someone else to cover me. This is the reason I am giving my 2 weeks notice my next shift. Godspeed to whoever decides to continue working there after more than a month or so.
Terrible place
They can not keep staff members to save themselves. Worst kitchen to work in by far. Management has their heads so far up their arses they wouldnt know a good dish from the poo in their mouths. They dont care about the employees or the employees needs. They will under pay you and under staff you and wonder why you quit. Dont even waste your time. They dock for fist pay completely with out warning and you dont qualify for pay out till after 3 months if you last. First pay is 3-4 weeks after start.
Pros
Free food *if the cooks even make your meal for you*
Cons
Long hours, no breaks, no free time yet no money.
Abusive
Overworked, no breaks, no respect .
temper tantrums, male chauvinism ,

No proper or formal training provided.

Judged, petty, deceitful.

Unorganized environment with too many things going on at once with no proper communication. No direction. Pathetic.
1/5 Don't bother applying.
This company has a lot of learning to do. I worked there in the last three years and unfortunately this place is a horrible place to work. They often under schedule you for the hours you were promised and then quickly replace that with over scheduling you with back to back shifts from 3AM end times to 8:30AM starts the very next morning! They have poor organizational skills and management does not know how to work together or learn from their mistakes. It is a very "pass the buck" work environment where no one will take accountability for their actions or misactions. Spencers has an incredibly hard time keeping full time staff, most likely because of the inconsistent and somehow 'legal" way of scheduling. They schedule you for legal hours on paper, but you are expected to stay 4-5 hours past the time listed for 100% of your shifts. I think this place is a perfect example of a company who knows how to manipulate labour laws in their favour. Many employees never take or get breaks, but yet their paychecks are deducted for them anyways. They often mess up your pay and you have to constantly track your hours to make sure you are paid for the full amount of hours you worked and lastly, if you work on the events side, they do not share any of the tips with their staff. That is right... they charge events at full gratuity, but this all goes into the pockets of the company and not shared with the ANY OF the employees working the event.

Workplace culture is average, but the overall morale is bruised because of the collective anger and resentment towards the entire management staff.
 - more...
Cons
long hours, miscalculated pay, illegal scheduling, poor management accountability
Spare yourself the frustration.
On the outside, Spencer´s seems like a great place to work, but you will very soon realize that it is a house of cards, just barely staying in one piece by a million hasty improvisations from the staff.

The management is utterly useless. They will use you as much as they can, they think that they are better than the people who actually do the work to keep the place afloat, and they will disrespect you when you make it known that you cannot do your job well when they constantly set you up for failure.

This place does not give a care about their employees, all they care about is income for their corporation and the managers/ owners at the top, and not even paying the event servers their tips, which are legally owed to them. They will split hairs about every penny they owe you, and will likely make ¨mistakes¨ in your pay, never giving you too much, and often taking from you. Hours in general are terrible, staff meals are insulting, wages are enormously insuffient, the building itself is spread out without any sense of operations, and you may literally lose your head if you have to find anything in the storage shed.

I have spent a year tearing my hair out at every single shift I have worked there, always believing that it will get better. It did not. It can hardly hold onto half of its staff. Managers change over like clockwork, and no real improvements are ever made. It is rapidly decomposing as a fine dining option. It´s just meh.

Apparently once upon a time, this was a great place to work, but not in a very long time, and those who remember it are the angriest,
 - more...
Don't board this ship
Great place to work until half the staff have left, now it has more holes in their staffing than a piece of Swiss cheese. If you value your personal life stay away!
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Everything else
Wasn't bad
Worked as a kitchen porter in the kitchen, typical day you would come in and get the dish pit organised and set up,. Depending on the day you would start getting deliveries and having to put them away as well as doing dish. Often times you would feel you have too much to do however the time would go by quickly. Management was friendly and let you do your thing as long as you were good at the job, some of the cooks and chefs weren't as great but over all everyone was nice and it felt like a family.
Pros
Staff meals, cool co workers, family atmosphere
Cons
Job expectations sometimes unclear and not properly explained, amount of hours weren't always reliable
Awful
take advantage of student employees by not putting into consideration that they should not work back to back 13 hour shifts all weekend long, rude to students, will make you work until 2am then come back for 8:30 the next morning

better for adult servers who are looking for full time serving, hostess and server support is not good
Pros
tip out
Cons
long hours, bad for students
Terrible place to work now
I hate to leave negative reviews but unfortunately this has to be one.
This company used to be a good company to work for. This is until they became corporate. They cared about their staff. They rewarded the ones who worked hard and put their time in. Now, forget it. They don't care how long you have worked there or how good you are. Some staff had been there before me and get worst shifts then new staff. They have changed management at least 5 times since I was there and all upper management is changed. Owners clearly do not care about the morale. It has turned into a real Boys club all around. And I am guy saying that. I can't believe how they treat some of the girls. But I guess if you say something you will lose your job. Quality of the food has gone down. Some of the kitchen guys are nice. Management never smiles or says hi. It's terrible. I am so happy I left. God help the ones who have stayed.

Maybe owners will read this and change something?
Cons
Bad morale, boys club, management never smiles
Busy location with amazing view, brunch Sundays
Owners are very friendly with great understanding of hospitality. Chefs are passionate and help you grow. Kitchen has up to date equipment and high standards of sanitation, freshness, and quality. Daily fish board specials. Cooks have fun with staff meals.
Dish Washer
It wasn't a horrible job paid well if you needed money. The people there are hilarious and easy to get along with.
Pros
Free food, good people
Cons
Stressful, very wet and gross
Productive and fun place to work
great place to work. I really enjoyed it as well as the management team. Could not say anything bad about working there. Learned how to work in a team and in high stress environment at time.
Pros
good pay good team
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spencer's At The Waterfront. Our community is ready to answer.
1.9