Spence Diamonds

Spence Diamonds Management reviews

Canada41 reviews
Company can be fun, but lots of animosity between sales staff. High learning curve as it's needed to know the ins and outs of the entire company policy and procedures. Training program was inconsistent between staff and locations.
I worked in production. Low salary, and it tends to stay that way. There is a culture of underpaying employees who are ESL; I'm guessing because they know that workers would have trouble finding work somewhere else.
The employees are diverse, and in this instance it has not worked out for the better. A lot of entitled casual racism from some of the older employees.
Pros
Some health benefits
Cons
Racism and low salary
If you want to work in IT for this company - don't! The new head of IT has skipped from multiple companies in a short space of time for a reason. He has poor talent management skills and has favourite vendors to work with regardless of whether the solution actually works for the company or is cost effective. He finds co-workers' knowledge of the industry threatening and tends to fire them - he wants Yes men who do not question his strategy. Other ares of the business are great! Great product, colleagues, and non-IT managers. Will miss working with the rest of the business.
It was hard work and little room to improve. Good for someone starting out in the work force. Some of the management would micro manage while you were doing day to daut tasks
I've been with the company for almost a year now - it has been both a challenging and rewarding position, having come from a background of no jewelry/gem knowledge.

I started off in the Calgary location & had an amazing team there. I came in as the Front Desk supervisor & was trained by the existing front desk team. Everyone was very positive & supportive in helping me learn the in's and out's of my new position even though it was an odd situation, having to train their new manager. There is never any hesitation to help each other out, especially when it came to job knowledge and/or training.

The management team in Calgary was amazing - I'm so glad to have started off in that location before transferring to the new Ottawa store.

One of the highlights is that there is always something to keep you busy! The management team is very approachable & down to earth, always willing to listen & provide feedback & coaching.

I recently was able to transfer to the Ottawa store that was opening up, which was ideal because my family is here & my mother was quite sick. The company was very supportive & accommodating & made the transition as smooth as possible. I have had a lot of support with hiring & training my new team - we have turned into a close-knit work family.
Pros
Great team environment, excellent management team, supportive company
Cons
Expensive parking, long mall hours
Employee does same thing over everyday, very scheduled work. I learned numerous knowledge of jewelry and diamonds. It's a very pleasant work place, the management team definitely need to improve. The most enjoyable part is the co-workers.
Spence Diamonds is a growing company with opportunities for growth and advances. At Langley we truly are a family and want to see each other succeed.

The days are usually pretty consistent, just like any job some days are slower than others. New clients coming in as well as returning clients. The "Up" system we use gives every sales constant a fair opportunity to sell, with the support from the front desk team.

As part of the Front Desk Team I am ALWAYS busy! There is always something to do! The hardest part of the job, is dealing with the odd difficult client.
Luckily you are not alone while tackling a difficult scenario; the management team is always there to support you and to provide coaching along the way.
I really do enjoy my job. New clients to work with, always or busy, opportunities for growth, positive work environment, supportive co-workers. The management here in Langley is fantastic, I always feel supported and appreciated. When I have required additional training or coaching or have a question I never hesitated to ask 

I enjoy coming to work every day. It is always a delight to assist clients with one of the most exciting times of their lives.
Pros
Supportive co-workers, opportunity for advancement, enjoyable
Cons
Front Desk stand all shift, mentally exhausting some days
I've been with the company for over 3 years now and it has been a wonderful journey. I started as a Diamond Consultant and have been able to grow my career and skill set at Spence. Over the course of the last 3 and half years I have had 4 promotions and been given the honor of working along side and for an amazing executive team. Spence is a growing and innovative company and I stand behind the vision of our leadership team of taking Spence to the next level and giving back in the process.
Pros
Great earning potential, career advancement opportunities, discounts on diamonds, love my team members
Cons
Evenings and Weekends
23 May 2018
Thank you for your glowing review, we so appreciate you n the team.
Working with Spence has been a surprisingly very pleasant experience. It is both fun and challenging. I work with a great team that is always working together to achieve our goals, and is never hesitant to help one another. There is no pressure to know everything all at once, there is constant learning. And the management is super supportive. Fantastic work environment.
Pros
Discount!
Cons
Hard commute.
The organization is going through changes with new management, and really open to developing a scalable business. Its exciting to see the future growth in stores. More recently we've taken Spence to the USA, which has been really fun.

Lots of great employees in all the places, Stores, Studio and the Store Support Centre.
Pros
Diamond Discount
Cons
Lots to do, but really rewarding
Working at Spence has taught me a lot and it helped me to develop and sharpen the customer service/communication skills I already have. The team here is wonderful to work with; everyone is willing to help out. Even head office is readily available to help out with anything. Overall, working here has been a positive experience.
Pros
Great team to work with + management is very organized
19 April 2018
Thank you for your post. We appreciate you sharing that the Vaughan store is a great place to work.
Having been in sales and management for over 20 years when I joined Spence Diamonds I knew it would take time to find 'my place' in the company and learn the in's and out's of the jewelry and diamond industry.

They invest into you as soon as you start to educate and develop your knowledge giving you confidence in the product and what you are selling.

Although it took me several months to learn the processes and how to use my skill set to be a top consultant, I had constant support and coaching to hone my skills and I have become one of the most successful consultants.

Some areas that may be tough for individuals are following a proven system and maintaining a high level of professional activities to produce results. Being held accountable for your actions/results can be challenging if you aren't willing to put in the work. With years of statistics behind the company however it's not hard to see how a long term commitment to excellence can yield great returns! For someone who wants to 're-create' the wheel success may come tough... the quote "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind...

Recently there has been a huge push to develop the culture in the company, and a uniformity between all of their stores making it easy for anyone who wants to grow and develop in the company and for the right individual become a Store Director in a new store of their own!

I have been very fortunate to be able to visit and assist in several different locations in both Canada and the US which has all been supported by the company!
Pros
Great compensation structure, education and development programs!
Cons
Retail hours can be long. Lots to learn/memorize to be successful.
I've been with Spence for nearly 10 years now, just receiving a promotion to Sales Performance Specialist within the last few months. I've stayed because it has always been a great place for me to grow and improve my skill set.

Some big Pros are:

-Excellent Compensation

-Company Expansion: Spence is adding stores and with this will come many promising growth opportunities for employees

-Hands on Training Program: If you are willing to work hard, and are coachable, you are given every tool you need to succeed

-Purpose Driven: Spence is giving back to those in need through it's partnership with Not For Sale, a global non-profit dedicated to ending human-trafficking

-Accessibility to Upper Management: The C Suite and President of Spence are all very friendly and approachable individuals.

-Exceptional Product Line
3 April 2018
Thank you for the glowing review, we appreciate your thoughtfulness and are excited to see you in your new role.
Working at Spence seemed great at its face value, learning about diamonds and helping people with a huge decision in their lives. Once you get over the ridiculous and archaic sales script that has to be memorized verbatim that is when the magnifying glass is zeroed in on your every move.

I learned over my 4 months there that nothing really mattered other than having a verbatim script and hitting the sometimes impossible budgets. Being a male in a heavily female dominant store was also difficult as there was constant drama and gossip amongst the employees about one and other which made most days almost reality show like in a sense that there was just no cohesion with the team.

The manager although friendly and accommodating at first and being brought in towards the end of last year it was great as it was busy and there was lots of opportunity to perform and grow. Then as soon as the new year hit then panic ensued and the scrutiny and micromanagement came into play. The company basically expects you to convince your clients that they need to buy now regardless of their timeline to purchase.

One of the most ridiculous requirements of the job was having to recored a sales presentation weekly with a customer to review how accurate the script was.

They literally built the entire selling model solely on the script so it doesn't really take any true sales skills to make it through the presentations.

The budgets going into the new year are insanely unachievable as there was just no business in the store and there was never a single week where everyone hit the targets
 - more...
Pros
Having your own office, intro diamond certification course, working with diamonds
Cons
Long hours, very intense weekly performance criteria, heavy gossip environment, manager plays favourites, no respect for individual lives and well being
Good company, Good management, Busy place, Multiculture coworkers, Every month Birthday celebration for employee..

Once in while all employee lunch gathering
Pros
Lunch and festival party
Cons
Traveling time to get at work place
3 April 2018
Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We're glad you like the company and the management. Diversity is something we take pride in.
It's a fun place to work if you eliminate the dictatorship like mentality.
there is a script of 30 pages to remember and if you miss a word you are off the selling floor.
poorly managed.
Pros
good salary & Commissions
Cons
Dictatorship like - need more sales selections (not just rings)
Awful place to work. No sense of teamwork or loyalty - the place has a revolving door as far as employees go. Terrible corporate culture, always fearing for your job since so many people get fired all the time. Corporate management is awful. HR practices are sketchy at best.
Cons
12 hour days, rotational schedule, no sense of job security, unprofessional leadership
Don't work here. The pay is excellent, but staff are treated like they a disposable. CEO is one of the most dishonest, unethical business leaders I have ever met.
Had way better expectations for spence since they consider themselves a top sales organization. Found out they are not ,they don't take care of their employees. Manager is tough to work with and very rude. Does not offer any sales training other than a script that has been created and don't allow any leniency towards the script so they want robots nots sales people.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
Not a true sales organization, management is not there as support but to manage as a dictator.
Didn't have to work there too long to realize how unstable this job was. High turn over leave. People always getting let go. A lot to know for 12.50/hr. No intensive training, they throw you right into it. Very unstable hours. People were very shady and two-faced.
Pros
It was challenging
Cons
Unstablity
The sales approach is rather archaic. The atmosphere is too competitive, such that people don't get along well. It is all shiny outside, but inside is rather poorly run.