Spence Diamonds Employee Reviews

Great Place to Grow
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC24 May 2018
I worked for Spence Diamonds Langley for just over 4 months and I absolutely loved the position. Training started immediately and was pretty easy to grasp, especially with all the help that was given, I was never left without an answer. Everyone was super supportive in helping me learn the in's and out's of the position and pushed me to grow and achieve more.

There is always something to do, so in slow times your never looking at the time waiting for it to go by. Everyone in the store makes working there so wonderful. The consultants, store directors, as well as fellow front receptionists are all so nice and welcoming its easy to feel like part of the family so quickly.

In the short time I worked for Spence Diamonds I learned a lot and got to gain a ton of friendships. I would recommend working at Spence Diamonds to anyone who's looking for a rewarding, fun paced job.

Seeing happiness on peoples' faces when buying a ring for an engagement makes the job even better.
Pros
People skills, Wonderful Team Members, Flexible Hours, Not located in a mall
Cons
Wanting to buy every piece of jewelry in the store
Positive and supportive coworkers and fantastic company to work for
Front Desk Manager (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC22 May 2018
Spence Diamonds is a growing company with opportunities for growth and advances. At Langley we truly are a family and want to see each other succeed.

The days are usually pretty consistent, just like any job some days are slower than others. New clients coming in as well as returning clients. The "Up" system we use gives every sales constant a fair opportunity to sell, with the support from the front desk team.
As part of the Front Desk Team I am ALWAYS busy! There is always something to do! The hardest part of the job, is dealing with the odd difficult client. Luckily you are not alone while tackling a difficult scenario; the management team is always there to support you and to provide coaching along the way.
I really do enjoy my job. New clients to work with, always or busy, opportunities for growth, positive work environment, supportive co-workers. The management here in Langley is fantastic, I always feel supported and appreciated. When I have required additional training or coaching or have a question I never hesitated to ask 
I enjoy coming to work every day. It is always a delight to assist clients with one of the most exciting times of their lives.
Pros
Supportive co-workers, opportunity for advancement, enjoyable
Cons
Front Desk stand all shift, mentally exhausting some days
I love my job
Store Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Langley, BC22 May 2018
I've been with the company for over 3 years now and it has been a wonderful journey. I started as a Diamond Consultant and have been able to grow my career and skill set at Spence. Over the course of the last 3 and half years I have had 4 promotions and been given the honor of working along side and for an amazing executive team. Spence is a growing and innovative company and I stand behind the vision of our leadership team of taking Spence to the next level and giving back in the process.
Pros
Great earning potential, career advancement opportunities, discounts on diamonds, love my team members
Cons
Evenings and Weekends
23 May 2018

Thank you for your glowing review, we so appreciate you n the team.

Positive and Challenging environment
Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON22 May 2018
Working with Spence has been a surprisingly very pleasant experience. It is both fun and challenging. I work with a great team that is always working together to achieve our goals, and is never hesitant to help one another. There is no pressure to know everything all at once, there is constant learning. And the management is super supportive. Fantastic work environment.
Pros
Discount!
Cons
Hard commute.
Good career sales position
Diamond Consultant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 May 2018
Supportive environment with all levels of staff coaching and helping each other. 4 page educational verbatim to learn and use daily.
Great, specific sales process that focuses on giving the client an amazing experience.
This is a sales focused company that is mproving its culture and actively trying to be a better place to work.
Good base salary with commission, and annual bonus potential.
This is a great place to work if you like to keep learning and driving yourself to be better at sales and customer service.
Pros
A great sales career in a fun environment
Cons
Retail hours
Like it, positive changes, and growth
Confidential (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2018
The organization is going through changes with new management, and really open to developing a scalable business. Its exciting to see the future growth in stores. More recently we've taken Spence to the USA, which has been really fun.

Lots of great employees in all the places, Stores, Studio and the Store Support Centre.
Pros
Diamond Discount
Cons
Lots to do, but really rewarding
Great place to be
Front Desk (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 April 2018
Working at Spence has taught me a lot and it helped me to develop and sharpen the customer service/communication skills I already have. The team here is wonderful to work with; everyone is willing to help out. Even head office is readily available to help out with anything. Overall, working here has been a positive experience.
Pros
Great team to work with + management is very organized
19 April 2018

Thank you for your post. We appreciate you sharing that the Vaughan store is a great place to work.

Life Changer- Lots of work and lots of pay off
store director (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON18 April 2018
Great company who invests in their people. If you are engaged , passionate and put in the work- it pays off. lots to know but that is valuable in itself
19 April 2018

Thank you for your glowing review, we appreciate you feel that the work pays off, we think so too.

Challenging and Rewarding Company with Great Opportunity for Dedicated Individuals
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 April 2018
Having been in sales and management for over 20 years when I joined Spence Diamonds I knew it would take time to find 'my place' in the company and learn the in's and out's of the jewelry and diamond industry.

They invest into you as soon as you start to educate and develop your knowledge giving you confidence in the product and what you are selling.

Although it took me several months to learn the processes and how to use my skill set to be a top consultant, I had constant support and coaching to hone my skills and I have become one of the most successful consultants.

Some areas that may be tough for individuals are following a proven system and maintaining a high level of professional activities to produce results. Being held accountable for your actions/results can be challenging if you aren't willing to put in the work. With years of statistics behind the company however it's not hard to see how a long term commitment to excellence can yield great returns! For someone who wants to 're-create' the wheel success may come tough... the quote "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind...

Recently there has been a huge push to develop the culture in the company, and a uniformity between all of their stores making it easy for anyone who wants to grow and develop in the company and for the right individual become a Store Director in a new store of their own!

I have been very fortunate to be able to visit and assist in several different locations in both Canada and the US which has all been supported by the company!
Pros
Great compensation structure, education and development programs!
Cons
Retail hours can be long. Lots to learn/memorize to be successful.
I Love My Job
Sales Performance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB23 March 2018
I've been with Spence for nearly 10 years now, just receiving a promotion to Sales Performance Specialist within the last few months. I've stayed because it has always been a great place for me to grow and improve my skill set.

Some big Pros are:

-Excellent Compensation

-Company Expansion: Spence is adding stores and with this will come many promising growth opportunities for employees

-Hands on Training Program: If you are willing to work hard, and are coachable, you are given every tool you need to succeed

-Purpose Driven: Spence is giving back to those in need through it's partnership with Not For Sale, a global non-profit dedicated to ending human-trafficking

-Accessibility to Upper Management: The C Suite and President of Spence are all very friendly and approachable individuals.

-Exceptional Product Line
3 April 2018

Thank you for the glowing review, we appreciate your thoughtfulness and are excited to see you in your new role.

Positive Changes
Private title (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC22 March 2018
- Lots of moving parts, and growth coming
- Everyone is committed to excellent customer experiences
- Many resources to help yourself
- Leadership is very direct and supportive, its clear what success looks like
- Benefits aren't the best in Canada, but I hear that changing.
Pros
Diamond Discount, good coworkers
Cons
Retail hours, but thats what you sign up for
3 April 2018

Thanks for the 5 star review. Our diamond discount is definitely a perk our employees love.

work
Diamond Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 February 2018
It was a great place to work, I learned a lot. The employees were well trained and this was non negotiable. The atmosphere was very business like and inviting.
3 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We continue to strive to keep our sales consultants and staff developing, so happy you experience your colleagues as well trained.

Rough and heavily micromanaged environment.
Diamond Consultant (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC30 January 2018
Working at Spence seemed great at its face value, learning about diamonds and helping people with a huge decision in their lives. Once you get over the ridiculous and archaic sales script that has to be memorized verbatim that is when the magnifying glass is zeroed in on your every move.

I learned over my 4 months there that nothing really mattered other than having a verbatim script and hitting the sometimes impossible budgets. Being a male in a heavily female dominant store was also difficult as there was constant drama and gossip amongst the employees about one and other which made most days almost reality show like in a sense that there was just no cohesion with the team.

The manager although friendly and accommodating at first and being brought in towards the end of last year it was great as it was busy and there was lots of opportunity to perform and grow. Then as soon as the new year hit then panic ensued and the scrutiny and micromanagement came into play. The company basically expects you to convince your clients that they need to buy now regardless of their timeline to purchase.

One of the most ridiculous requirements of the job was having to recored a sales presentation weekly with a customer to review how accurate the script was.

They literally built the entire selling model solely on the script so it doesn't really take any true sales skills to make it through the presentations.

The budgets going into the new year are insanely unachievable as there was just no business in the store and there was never a single week where everyone hit the targets
  more... it would always bounce between the consultants due to the luck of the up. The luck of the up is solely how you are successful in this job and doing extensive follow up with clients doesn't get you there despite what they push you to believe.

The bottom line is Spence as a company doesn't look for or care about passion and dedication. Only numbers and if you are lucky to hit them you may stay there for awhile but this is a very high turnover job and every employee is a number on a page.

The most and only enjoyable part of the job was being able to play a small part in the biggest decision in someone's life when they decide to propose.

They have cameras in your office and watch your every move so make no mistake as you will be ridiculed for it no matter how small it may be.
Pros
Having your own office, intro diamond certification course, working with diamonds
Cons
Long hours, very intense weekly performance criteria, heavy gossip environment, manager plays favourites, no respect for individual lives and well being
Diamond Consultant and Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC5 January 2018
If you are dedidcated, focused and goal oriented. Spence is a great place to work and build a career.
I highly recommend this company. I worked for them for about 4 years and would definitely do it again.
21 March 2018

Thank you so much for the kind words, we are so glad you found us a great place to work. We hope you ongoing success and hope to see you in our showroom again.

Fast and repetitive task, sitting all day, busy...
Master Goldsmith (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 September 2017
Good company, Good management, Busy place, Multiculture coworkers, Every month Birthday celebration for employee..

Once in while all employee lunch gathering
Pros
Lunch and festival party
Cons
Traveling time to get at work place
3 April 2018

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We're glad you like the company and the management. Diversity is something we take pride in.

Decent place to work - Dictatorship like
Diamond Consultant (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON12 September 2017
It's a fun place to work if you eliminate the dictatorship like mentality.
there is a script of 30 pages to remember and if you miss a word you are off the selling floor. poorly managed.
Pros
good salary & Commissions
Cons
Dictatorship like - need more sales selections (not just rings)
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2017
Fast paced at times
Good Experience
Friendly coworkers
Friendly members
Opportunity to grow
Gain experience in professional atmosphere
Poorly ran management team
Head Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 June 2017
If you sell diamonds then you are a star. You can do what ever you want as long as you sell, sell, sell!
Reception is treated as support staff to the consultants. Expected to follow up on the clients waiting for their orders and deal with all the problems. The consultants tend to drop their clients as soon as the sale is done.

Reception is highly under paid for what they are expected to do, and left with no respect.

Left this position because I was promised a wage review, and never received one. When I pushed, I was told that I would not receive one and I would also not receive a wage increase.
Pros
Discount of diamonds
Cons
Weekends, nights, treated poorly
Awful.
Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 May 2017
Awful place to work. No sense of teamwork or loyalty - the place has a revolving door as far as employees go. Terrible corporate culture, always fearing for your job since so many people get fired all the time. Corporate management is awful. HR practices are sketchy at best.
Cons
12 hour days, rotational schedule, no sense of job security, unprofessional leadership
Very poorly ran company
Diamond Consultant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 April 2017
Don't work here. The pay is excellent, but staff are treated like they a disposable. CEO is one of the most dishonest, unethical business leaders I have ever met.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spence Diamonds. Our community is ready to answer.