Spence Diamonds

Spence Diamonds Employee Reviews

Canada41 reviews
Fast Paced
Company can be fun, but lots of animosity between sales staff. High learning curve as it's needed to know the ins and outs of the entire company policy and procedures. Training program was inconsistent between staff and locations.
Great culture
I received Amazing training and support while I was employed at Spence Diamonds. Consultants are fully trained with ongoing support which provides a great customer experience
Fun place to work, few advancement opportunities
While Spence was a fun place to work, they rarely hired within the company and the few opportunities that were presented often had high turnover before finding the "right" candidate for the job.
Great experience.
Loved working here, wish I could have stayed but personal reasons got in the way. NOT a perfect company by any means but I get the feeling that they're trying to do better by their employees.
Made friendships that will last a lifetime. Amazing manager.
Pros
People, earning potential.
Cons
Work life balance, long hours, weekends.
Some people are nice, dental
I worked in production. Low salary, and it tends to stay that way. There is a culture of underpaying employees who are ESL; I'm guessing because they know that workers would have trouble finding work somewhere else.
The employees are diverse, and in this instance it has not worked out for the better. A lot of entitled casual racism from some of the older employees.
Pros
Some health benefits
Cons
Racism and low salary
Delusional new Head of IT
If you want to work in IT for this company - don't! The new head of IT has skipped from multiple companies in a short space of time for a reason. He has poor talent management skills and has favourite vendors to work with regardless of whether the solution actually works for the company or is cost effective. He finds co-workers' knowledge of the industry threatening and tends to fire them - he wants Yes men who do not question his strategy. Other ares of the business are great! Great product, colleagues, and non-IT managers. Will miss working with the rest of the business.
Great culture and family
The staff are super friendly and inviting. The team tends to be small so you really get a sense of family. They really care about the clients and want to make sure that they walk away knowing exactly what they have purchased. Educating the clients and the staff is what really sets them apart from other jewellery stores
Pros
co-workers, culture, work environment
Cons
Minimum wage, not much growth within the company
Hard work
It was hard work and little room to improve. Good for someone starting out in the work force. Some of the management would micro manage while you were doing day to daut tasks
Supportive team environment & great management
I've been with the company for almost a year now - it has been both a challenging and rewarding position, having come from a background of no jewelry/gem knowledge.

I started off in the Calgary location & had an amazing team there. I came in as the Front Desk supervisor & was trained by the existing front desk team. Everyone was very positive & supportive in helping me learn the in's and out's of my new position even though it was an odd situation, having to train their new manager. There is never any hesitation to help each other out, especially when it came to job knowledge and/or training.

The management team in Calgary was amazing - I'm so glad to have started off in that location before transferring to the new Ottawa store.

One of the highlights is that there is always something to keep you busy! The management team is very approachable & down to earth, always willing to listen & provide feedback & coaching.

I recently was able to transfer to the Ottawa store that was opening up, which was ideal because my family is here & my mother was quite sick. The company was very supportive & accommodating & made the transition as smooth as possible. I have had a lot of support with hiring & training my new team - we have turned into a close-knit work family.
Pros
Great team environment, excellent management team, supportive company
Cons
Expensive parking, long mall hours
Amazing work environment!
I love this job!
Spence Diamonds is so innovative and unique, it's a much better concept then other jewelery stores, you learn so much and the people who work there are so welcoming and knowledgable. The company is ethically smart and strides towards a better working environment.

Thanks Spence for the great opportunity.

Ottawa Spence Diamonds!
A typical routine work day
Employee does same thing over everyday, very scheduled work. I learned numerous knowledge of jewelry and diamonds. It's a very pleasant work place, the management team definitely need to improve. The most enjoyable part is the co-workers.
Great Place to Grow
I worked for Spence Diamonds Langley for just over 4 months and I absolutely loved the position. Training started immediately and was pretty easy to grasp, especially with all the help that was given, I was never left without an answer. Everyone was super supportive in helping me learn the in's and out's of the position and pushed me to grow and achieve more.

There is always something to do, so in slow times your never looking at the time waiting for it to go by. Everyone in the store makes working there so wonderful. The consultants, store directors, as well as fellow front receptionists are all so nice and welcoming its easy to feel like part of the family so quickly.

In the short time I worked for Spence Diamonds I learned a lot and got to gain a ton of friendships. I would recommend working at Spence Diamonds to anyone who's looking for a rewarding, fun paced job.

Seeing happiness on peoples' faces when buying a ring for an engagement makes the job even better.
Pros
People skills, Wonderful Team Members, Flexible Hours, Not located in a mall
Cons
Wanting to buy every piece of jewelry in the store
Positive and supportive coworkers and fantastic company to work for
Spence Diamonds is a growing company with opportunities for growth and advances. At Langley we truly are a family and want to see each other succeed.

The days are usually pretty consistent, just like any job some days are slower than others. New clients coming in as well as returning clients. The "Up" system we use gives every sales constant a fair opportunity to sell, with the support from the front desk team.

As part of the Front Desk Team I am ALWAYS busy! There is always something to do! The hardest part of the job, is dealing with the odd difficult client. Luckily you are not alone while tackling a difficult scenario; the management team is always there to support you and to provide coaching along the way.

I really do enjoy my job. New clients to work with, always or busy, opportunities for growth, positive work environment, supportive co-workers. The management here in Langley is fantastic, I always feel supported and appreciated. When I have required additional training or coaching or have a question I never hesitated to ask 

I enjoy coming to work every day. It is always a delight to assist clients with one of the most exciting times of their lives.
Pros
Supportive co-workers, opportunity for advancement, enjoyable
Cons
Front Desk stand all shift, mentally exhausting some days
I love my job
I've been with the company for over 3 years now and it has been a wonderful journey. I started as a Diamond Consultant and have been able to grow my career and skill set at Spence. Over the course of the last 3 and half years I have had 4 promotions and been given the honor of working along side and for an amazing executive team. Spence is a growing and innovative company and I stand behind the vision of our leadership team of taking Spence to the next level and giving back in the process.
Pros
Great earning potential, career advancement opportunities, discounts on diamonds, love my team members
Cons
Evenings and Weekends
23 May 2018
Thank you for your glowing review, we so appreciate you n the team.
Positive and Challenging environment
Working with Spence has been a surprisingly very pleasant experience. It is both fun and challenging. I work with a great team that is always working together to achieve our goals, and is never hesitant to help one another. There is no pressure to know everything all at once, there is constant learning. And the management is super supportive. Fantastic work environment.
Pros
Discount!
Cons
Hard commute.
Good career sales position
Supportive environment with all levels of staff coaching and helping each other. 4 page educational verbatim to learn and use daily.
Great, specific sales process that focuses on giving the client an amazing experience.

This is a sales focused company that is mproving its culture and actively trying to be a better place to work.

Good base salary with commission, and annual bonus potential.

This is a great place to work if you like to keep learning and driving yourself to be better at sales and customer service.
Pros
A great sales career in a fun environment
Cons
Retail hours
Like it, positive changes, and growth
The organization is going through changes with new management, and really open to developing a scalable business. Its exciting to see the future growth in stores. More recently we've taken Spence to the USA, which has been really fun.

Lots of great employees in all the places, Stores, Studio and the Store Support Centre.
Pros
Diamond Discount
Cons
Lots to do, but really rewarding
Great place to be
Working at Spence has taught me a lot and it helped me to develop and sharpen the customer service/communication skills I already have. The team here is wonderful to work with; everyone is willing to help out. Even head office is readily available to help out with anything. Overall, working here has been a positive experience.
Pros
Great team to work with + management is very organized
19 April 2018
Thank you for your post. We appreciate you sharing that the Vaughan store is a great place to work.
Life Changer- Lots of work and lots of pay off
Great company who invests in their people. If you are engaged , passionate and put in the work- it pays off. lots to know but that is valuable in itself
19 April 2018
Thank you for your glowing review, we appreciate you feel that the work pays off, we think so too.
Challenging and Rewarding Company with Great Opportunity for Dedicated Individuals
Having been in sales and management for over 20 years when I joined Spence Diamonds I knew it would take time to find 'my place' in the company and learn the in's and out's of the jewelry and diamond industry.

They invest into you as soon as you start to educate and develop your knowledge giving you confidence in the product and what you are selling.

Although it took me several months to learn the processes and how to use my skill set to be a top consultant, I had constant support and coaching to hone my skills and I have become one of the most successful consultants.

Some areas that may be tough for individuals are following a proven system and maintaining a high level of professional activities to produce results. Being held accountable for your actions/results can be challenging if you aren't willing to put in the work. With years of statistics behind the company however it's not hard to see how a long term commitment to excellence can yield great returns! For someone who wants to 're-create' the wheel success may come tough... the quote "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind...

Recently there has been a huge push to develop the culture in the company, and a uniformity between all of their stores making it easy for anyone who wants to grow and develop in the company and for the right individual become a Store Director in a new store of their own!

I have been very fortunate to be able to visit and assist in several different locations in both Canada and the US which has all been supported by the company!
Pros
Great compensation structure, education and development programs!
Cons
Retail hours can be long. Lots to learn/memorize to be successful.
I Love My Job
I've been with Spence for nearly 10 years now, just receiving a promotion to Sales Performance Specialist within the last few months. I've stayed because it has always been a great place for me to grow and improve my skill set.

Some big Pros are:

-Excellent Compensation

-Company Expansion: Spence is adding stores and with this will come many promising growth opportunities for employees

-Hands on Training Program: If you are willing to work hard, and are coachable, you are given every tool you need to succeed

-Purpose Driven: Spence is giving back to those in need through it's partnership with Not For Sale, a global non-profit dedicated to ending human-trafficking

-Accessibility to Upper Management: The C Suite and President of Spence are all very friendly and approachable individuals.

-Exceptional Product Line
3 April 2018
Thank you for the glowing review, we appreciate your thoughtfulness and are excited to see you in your new role.