Spectrum Resource Group
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

Spectrum Resource Group Employee Reviews

Canada30 reviews

hourdaypeopleworkinggoodcompanymanagementjob

Good place for young students

Their contracts don't pay well for the work you are doing are doing and if even when you do everything correctly you aren't appreciated, also very unprofessional at times in an already high stress environment

Pros

laundry in camp

Cons

not paid enough for long hours

Okay

all year work if you are down with moving around and being at the mercy of their schedule. Management expects you to jump when they say jump even if you've been sitting around waiting for a contact with no information or plan. You basically have to have no life outside of the company. People on the crew's are cool, fun jobs, lots of travel, you get to see a lot of BC.

Pros

travel

Cons

management

Insights into Spectrum Resource Group

Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Fair pay for job

Posted salary was misleading.

The people were friendly and the training was good but it was a very demanding job with long hours and the posted salary was misleading. We were understaffed for the size of the contracts. We saw our manager one time for two days out of our three month contract. The use big protective masks for pesticide applications is very understated. It's a big company with a chain of command, trying to communicate and send documents to various departments when working/living remotely was very frustrating.

Pros

Good people

Cons

Long hours, misleading salary

Fun, remote.

Decent company to work for. Management cares about you and they empathize the importance of the safety a lot. Fun working environment. You will meet a lot of cool people here

Great learning opportunity, stressful work

I worked in invasive species management using herbicides and it was a really great opportunity to learn about invasive species, herbicide treatments, be given a lot of responsibility and training in the field as well as with clients. I also got to travel around BC and given a work vehicle which was nice. I gained a lot of confidence in myself leading others and in my work quality. I also had control to make good judgement calls. The job had good flexibility and was 4 days/week. The cons were that we were often left to problem solve ourselves and could not reach our supervisor for support, our supervisor was spread too thin. We were usually exhausted working outside in the heat all summer (10 hr days) with heavy packs on and had to start very early to beat the heat and follow herbicide application rules which we did not expect based off the interview. Lastly, we were given wrong information from some supervisors and felt that poor judgement calls around herbicide application in other regions was occurring regarding natural resource protection.

A good place to go if you want a wide range of forestry experience.

Lots of Perks to the job like traveling, exploring new areas, meeting and working with some rad people. Benefits and pay are pretty good, especially as you move up. Unfortunately communication and keeping their end of commitments are not their strong points.

Pros

Company shares, traveling, exploring.

Cons

Poor communication

Worst company I have ever had the displeassure of working for.

Good luck getting paid the proper amount. Spectrum will do anything possible to save money. Won't pay per diem or LOA. Will lie to you and say production pay is available then stick you on a "day rate" that doesn't exist and then give you the run around when you ask about anything to do with Financials.

Pros

No vaccine mandate as of right now

Cons

Just about everything.

Stepping stone company only

Do you want to explore parts of BC you've never been to/ heard of or visited in a long time? Do you want a chance to to potentially see animals such as, black bears, lynx and other critters? Do you want to learn skills useful in the future? Do you want to travel BC on the company's dime? Do you want to work with cool people? The only other positives are staying in a camp provided by the contractor and staying in good hotels, depending on the project manager. People have said this company is the Walmart or Salvation Army of forestry. Communication between home base and work crew is very little to non existent. They will tell you things last minute. The Chetwnyd camp should definitely not have been lived in by anyone. If they can get more organized and have better communication, along with the pay, the turn over rate would not be as high. If you're serious about building a steady career, I would not work here.

Pros

See story above

Cons

See story above

Its good work, with flaws..

The co workers are great for the most part job is great fun :) love it but management drama and politics they pay alright but don't always pay you all the days you worked so make sure you let them all know cuz apparently telling 3 staff members doesn't do jack... 🙄 would work for them again if they promised what they put out... still some of the best people I ever worked with :) I'd still give them a chance

Pros

Working in the bush is healing mentaly

Cons

Poor management

Don’t do it

Worst management ever. They don’t care about your safety at all. Basically all equipment was broken so you are covered in herbicide all day long. No communication from management as to how they want things done. There will be out of town work (which would be fine but at the interview I was promised no out of town work) and they will put you up in the cheapest motels money can buy. No food allowance. Too many things to list but just don’t bother with this company.

Pros

Met some good people and we suffered together

Cons

Too many to count

Awesome coworkers

The company provides all year round work opportunity - invasive vegetation in the summer and fire mitigation in the winter. The work is typically always around 10 hours. It is strenuous work but very rewarding because the people you work with are awesome and they make work a little more bearable. My supervisors are very supportive and caring. They communicate well with very detailed instructions. The work contracts are in different locations in BC. I have traveled beautiful places I would never have visited. They also provide accommodation if you are working away from home.

Great chance to see parts of the province you normally wouldn't!

early morning starts mean more chances in the afternoon to enjoy the summer!great management who care about your well being, create a good working environment and want everyone to succeed in their position setting you up for success. Management likes to celebrate little victories and reward staff with bbqs, swag and events. Great entry level position to learn about legislation, safety, quality over production as well as gaining valuable knowledge about maintaining equipment, driving company vehicles and using GPS, ipad software and various weather equipmenthardest part of the job is waking up for those early mornings.most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people and exploring the country side!

Pros

beautiful landscapes, workout while you work, meet great people, use company equipment to access sites, gain knowledge and skills using GPS and ipad software

Cons

sometimes long days, nightmares about knapweed

Flexible job ideal for a person who thrives in a team environment

I did Invasive plan management and really enjoyed the team environment and support. It was awesome because they paid for my certificate, and management supported me in learning/provided me with the resources and book to pass the exam. They helped me grow in so many ways in a field I had no experience in and got me passionate about weed management. The hours were long, but that was a good part of the job because it meant more money! I made good relationships with my coworkers, which is important because you are working and living with the same people. The hardest part is you can not control the weather, but you are working outside so you have to deal with what the weather decides. With any job, but especially this one, crew moral is so important. It just takes one person to be super negative and bring down a whole IPM crew! Management always found fun and creative ways to boost our moral when they could, like dinners/ treats or a planned adventure day. I actually left the job at the end of my second summer working there due to a different opportunity. I felt bad to leave my new friends and worried about just up and leaving with short notice, but they were so encouraging to me and to this day if I run into management they are so kind and supportive. I literally learnt so many random bits of knowledge and skills that have helped me in my new job, and I am so glad I worked for them at that period of my life. It was hard to work long hours, but my bank account needed it!

Pros

Free rent! lots of money and overtime opportunities, travelling, living playing and socializing with other young people, working outside, learning new skills, team atmosphere, they paid for my exam and many certificates. .

Cons

Long hours, away from home, weather is unpredictable, fighting weeds can feel defeating sometimes!

Team Environment

Lots of opportunities to learn new skills like navigation, data collection, operation of ATVs. Days are typically 10 hours long and some days are challenging but when mistakes were made management was understanding and helped course correct. Spraying was the toughest part but our supervisor would take us to a lake on lunch, or bring us donuts from time to time. Overall the attitude at work was positive and a team player environment

Overall great experience so far.

I highly recommend working here if you're ambitious and want to make money and are willing to work hard. Long work hours but lots of percs.I've had to travel and have been provided with year-round work. Each season brings on new projects types, challenges and adventures.I highly recommend Spectrum Resource Group Inc.

Pros

Benefits, flexibility, percs and people.

Cons

Long hours.

Unsafe work environment, deceiving pay

Work environment was not safe. Work along highways actually got shut down for this reason and when new safety protocols were put in place, management failed to communicate this with all crews. Almost all equipment (backpacks, ATVs, radios, etc) were broken and upper management had a very nonchalant attitude about getting things fixed. Lack of communication between management and staff was a huge issue-expectations were constantly changing. Overtime pay was a joke-they simply take your day rate (ie 200$) divided by 10 hours (standard shift length) and that was your hourly overtime pay rate. Encouraged to push the limits of legal herbicide application-spraying passed the wind speed limit, spraying when the temperature is too high, and spraying in a light rain.

Pros

Get to see some remote area of BC forests

Cons

*See review

Management lacking leadership

Management did a poor job of organizing and communicating expectations. It was obvious when people were stressed/overworked, which contributed to regular disrespect and miscommunication.

Sugar coated company

They make fake promises to hire you on board, the pass all blame to employees and cover managements butts because it it ran by friends in the kamloops district rather then professionally. Push you to spray in the rain causing runoff into riparian areas, as well as extreme heats costing the clients thousands of dollars from pesticides that will evaporate before they take effect. This company makes the industry of pesticides applications look like a joke.

Pros

Cons

Where to start...

Run

No one from my crew recommends working here. Equipment is always broken, you'll be asked to do dangerous and stupid things with said broken equipment. Including things which are kind of against the law and are definitely bad for your health. Company seems to operate in a legal grey zone with your compensation. No paid overtime but always asked to work overtime, 10 hour days, 50 hour weeks minimum.

Pros

coworkers who are in the same position are cool

Cons

Long hours, everything is broken, management doesn't communicate, pay is not enough, dangerous

Do not work here

Spectrum hires really fast due to their high turn over rates and terrible work conditions. Spectrum's management pressures naïve workers into unsafe situations. For example: discouraging employees from wearing protective masks while spraying a known carcinogen, forcing employees to begin work at 6am after driving through the night only to arrive at the worksite at 4am, and pressuring employees not to take the legal amount of time off - after working 18 days straight offering only 2 days off. They also encourage not adhering to ethical environmental practices while applying pesticides.

Fast-Paced and Compeitive

Working here was amazing. It was fast-paced, competitive, both individually and with your team. It had aspects of individual work and team work that made you work hard.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Spectrum Resource Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement