Sparkling Hill Resort

Canada74 reviews

Clear
2.6Pay & benefits

Great coworkers. Poor upper management

I worked at Sparkling Hill for a few months last year. My position was sometimes fast paced but not stressful at all. Some other position were much more stressful and employees dissatisfaction was very high.I enjoyed the interactions with my co-workers, my supervisors and with the vast majority of the clients. Some were truly classless but these people can only afford the Winter Local rates.Driving to work in the winter can be a real challenge for some due to the poor road conditions. The main staff parking is not ideally located: a good uphill walk. The secondary staff parking is much worse but the main staff parking is often at capacity so...The compensation is very low by industry standards. They do attract some staff with low cost staff accommodation.The upper management and the company culture are the rotten apples that ruin the experience. They have unrealistic expectations, they don't value their employees and they are not acting like they are accountable for their failures. Leadership is a game breaker for companies and leadership is non existent at Sparkling Hill.The upper management would benefit to read books like by Extreme Ownership by Jocko Willink. Being accountable to their employee is something foreign to them.The company doesn't have an HR professional. To turn things around they would need a HR Superstar consultant... Sparkling Hill is a "revolving door" staff wise because the company is a company that fail to value and invest in their entry level employees. The top heads need to rolls or they need serious help to change things -

Pros

Co-workers, friendly and relaxed clients (mostly).

Cons

Low wage, poor staff morale, disconnected upper management.

Good to stay and save money, cheap staff housing

Pay is ok if you are on hourly rate + overtime or salary and no overtime, cheap staff housing, no shuttle to the town, 1 option for food delivery.Overall nice place, feels quite expensive. Department managers are very knowledgeable. Housekeeping manager was very caring and open to changes, some people in upper management have that "small town mentality" someone mentioned before. Overall pretty balanced experience

Pros

Knowledgeable middle management Cheap and clean staff housing Benefits, if you will be able to stay long enough

Cons

No shuttle to town, feels isolated from everything and everyone, No staff meals, 1 overpriced delivery option, Upper management (some) not interested in changes and trying out new things, High turnover rate because of the factors above and the location

Insights into Sparkling Hill Resort

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

Good work environment

Pay is good, people are great, and management needs work. Staff accommodation is small/shared per room but it’s okay cause you can save quite a bit with the amount of rent your charged.

Pros

Nice people

Working in the Spa.....

I only worked there for a short time and almost got to probation, I left because I cost me half my days wage just to get there, there’s not enough parking and if your closing you normally have no choice but to park in “overflow” parking which is down a super steep hill and is totally unsafe in the winter and it really drags walking up two steep hills to get to work after driving for 20 minutes, you have to be there early just to park and half time to walk to work. It’s rediculous. That’s before you even enter the building. How ever the view and location is to die for, its stunning in the winter and spring. On that note, working there as a spa attendant was probably the only job position I would recommend because nobody except guests and coworkers nag plus you can hide for a bit, it was by far the only casual job possition and the co-workers were super nice people. BUT, management sucked. They needed training badly. They have horrible communication between even departments or even staff. Staff get looked down upon on the daily even though with out us the resort would literally fall apart. I would continually receive my schedule 1 week at a time and usually between 24-72 hours before my shift. It gave everyone a bitter taste in there mouths and left feeling very unappreciated, we were expected to live only for work and not have lived outside of work, we were required to remain VERY flexible due to scheduling randomly changing with no email or anything to tell us, except a phone call telling you your late or missed a shift. It was the only work place I’ve worked at where every -

Pros

Your co-workers always had some tea to gossip about

Cons

Parking, benefits after 9 months, turnover ever few weeks, job security, low wages, long commute, bad communication. Poor management, breaks, bad workplace environment

Horrible

The atmosphere is atrocious, there is never enough staff so everyone is overworked and seriously under paid it is very demanding, I developed carpal tunnel there in less then 3 months of work and instead of letting me have time off to heal and have treatment they just let me go because I was within 3 months probation period still I didnt get a choice.

Pros

Health benefits

Cons

Hard work

Great Staff, Great Money, Great Benefits, Terribly Managed

I have worked in the resort industry for 8 years now and have never had such a high income as I did there. You are always guaranteed your hours, you work closely as a team, and the front line staff become a true work family. The benefits of working there include health and dental benefits, accommodation discounts and discounts on the purchase of products and food. There is also on site staff housing for those who require it. The issue is the management. All the way from the top, it comes across as shady in regards to where our earned tip money is allocated. I have never heard of restaurant managers for one, receiving a tip out while on salary, and two, being able to go away on vacation and having hundreds of dollars in tip out waiting for them upon return. There is little enforcement of duties and therefore the cleanliness of the work spaces is disgusting or falling apart. Nice place to visit as a guest, I don't recommend working there.

Pathetic place to work

The drive is long and dangerous in the winter. You are expected to do more work than humanly possible and are ridiculed if you can't do it If you hurt yourself you will be told you are not a team player. The housekeeping manager has no idea how to motivate staff but believes that it is her forte, Don't ask for a raise because you will be bullied until you are brought to tears. Overall great people are not appreciated here.

Pros

It's a job

Cons

No appreciation for good employees

Toxic envirnment with low quality foundations

-Inexperienced, untrained/poorly trained management with bottom line always being money money money -Boasts a "wellness" mission, however, decisions and approaches scream nothing but greed -Staff in ALL departments are not valued, rewarded, praised -Not even provided with proper tools/supplies to create an appropriate and positive experience for guests (your own integrity is often compromised) -Worst level of communication I have ever experienced in a "professional" setting -Policies and procedures are not black and white... Lots of room for inconsistency - You'll get thrown in and over worked with little to no genuine thanks or proper compensation. -No actual leadership. Managers don't tend to be coaching staff. No time spent to help staff get better. All training happens via other employees. -Boundaries are not respected and there are huge health and safety concerns Honestly, this list goes on for days.

Pros

Room discount

Cons

Don't waste your time

not worth it

lots of drama and very disorganized. only made 12.50/hr but not worth it because on the drive. don't get benefits till after 9 months and the hotel it's self is just very dirty and dated.

Highly disorganized

Hectic, fast paced highly disorganized environment. Very little promotion from within company, most management/supervisor positions are filled by outsiders and not loyal employees. Communications with management needs work and employee retention is terrible. Some employees care about their work, but for most it's just a job until something better comes along.

Pros

Free staff meal during shift

Cons

9 months before benefits and employees are not permitted to use facilities on off days

Working at SHR was some of the best years of my life. Thank you.

This resort is the most fantastic and beautiful place I've ever had the privileged to work. I miss the beauty and wellness environment.

Pros

Wages, Stability, Benifits and Atmosphere.

Cons

Career Advancment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sparkling Hill Resort. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement