Sparkling Hill Resort
Happiness score is 54 out of 100

Sparkling Hill Resort Employee Reviews

it's easy to get the job.

I personally have had a great experience working here. I hear lots of people in the restaurant complain about one of the managers. there's also a high turnover rate so they're constantly hiring but that also means a lot of the time they are understaffed.

Pros

staff accommodations

Cons

location is a little inconvenient.

Fast paced environment but amazing management and coworkers

I took this job from Ontario and was nervous coming so far and after seeing previous reviews about management. There is new management who I found to be extremely kind and understanding, and who care actually care about you succeeding. Definitely a fast paced job and can be stressful at times but one that keeps you active throughout the day and there is always help and support by supervisors/ management to make sure everything gets done. Staying in staff housing was an extremely cheap way to get to experience BC and meet so many amazing people and leaving this work place felt like leaving a family :( if you just want to experience BC, like to stay moving all day and want to meet new people I genuinely do recommend Sparkling Hill.

Pros

Great management, staff housing, discounts, great people

Cons

Fast paced

Stressful

It was extremely fast paced and high pressure aswell as high standards . There is always supervisors telling you to go faster or or your going to slow when you’re going your fastest. Expected to be at the same pace as someone who’s been there 10 years when you’re still new.The other staff members are so kind thoughtful. No drama

Pros

Guests would leave stuff behind like alcohol, clothes or sometimes jewellery and if it was never claimed you got to keep it

Cons

Stress / exhausting

Fast passed work environment with great team members, have enjoyed my few years working for Sparkling Hill. Upbeat positive work environment with lots of opportunities to move around and up within the resort.

Ecellent place to work

Worked for sparkling hills for 4 years one of the best jobs I have had good environment the staff and management go all out for you recommend highly the staff and management always there to help the most part is coming to work every day the morning staff are a blessing

Good work environment

Pay is good, people are great, and management needs work. Staff accommodation is small/shared per room but it’s okay cause you can save quite a bit with the amount of rent your charged.

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Great place to learn how to have a good work ethic!

This job is never boring, you’re always on your feet and moving quickly which I quite enjoyed! Housekeeping will seem daunting at first but if you persevere with a positive attitude and have a desire to continue to improve you’ll find that not only does it get easier but that it becomes more enjoyable and you’ll be able to achieve more than you ever thought you could! It is hard work but really pays off, I like feeling like I’ve accomplished something in a day, and seeing guests faces as they walk into a room you’ve worked so hard on is so rewarding! The supervisor team and our new manager (who is AMAZING) have made this a much more enjoyable place to work. In my year and a half here, I’ve felt valued, not only as an employee but as a person and have felt more and more like I’m part of a little family. The people I’ve gotten to work with have become more than just co-workers, but my friends. And I’ve appreciated that so much! I’ve always felt supported and understood, and even in a place where efficiency is a high priority and it’s very important that things are done right I’ve always felt that I’m valued over what I do and that grace is always there for you!

Be Prepared to Work Hard

I have been working at Sparkling Hill for over 2 years in the Housekeeping Dept. It is incredibly fast-paced and demanding, but is very rewarding. We have a great new manager (as do other departments) and so the atmosphere has begun to shift into something much more positive and productive. Hotel housekeeping is what it is - it will ALWAYS be a difficult, messy job, but we have a great management/supervisor team right now and I look forward to coming to work.

Pros

New manager; great co-workers; fun tourism environment

Cons

heavy workloads some days

Fast paced, good money

I only work mornings so I can only speak on that behalf. New management in restaurant. Good hours, good money, good management. All staff I've come across has been lovely. It is very busy but managers have really stepped up to help during service. BOH is great too, they know their stuff which is a relief. Overall great place to work.

Much better

Most departments have had new managers in the last year and have completely changed the environments of their departments. Going to work now compared to a year ago is a completely different mindset, I used to dread getting to work now I enjoy seeing my coworkers and starting my day. Honestly not everyday is great but we used to never have good days with our old managers. I would definitely recommend working at sparkling hill.

Pros

New management

Terrible place to work

Management is the biggest problem! No Human Resources for employees! No guidance or direction! Hardest part of the job is dealing with management. Most enjoyable part was the co workers that also are no longer there.

Pros

Cons

All of the above

ok

spent a long time working there. very fast paced, hard work. i liked most of my coworkers and the manager they have now is the best they have had in many years.

Poor management & toxic culture

Do yourself a favor and look up Sparkling Hill in the company reviews section at the top of Indeed. They have about four accounts, this is the fifth as they keep opening new accounts in hopes new employees not really seeing how horrible this place is to work at. They exploit people coming from other countries, once they arrive they have no way of leaving as they're in staff accommodations and there is also no bus or shuttle to town, therefore no way of getting basic needs like food, medical appointments, etc. Either taking an expensive cab ride to Vernon or begging a fellow staff member for a ride. Don't work here, it's unethical as it can get!

Cons

Management is unethical, unprofessional and there's bed bugs as stated by guests

The worst management I've ever experienced - STAY AWAY

Multiple times in Sparkling Hill I witnessed my manager scream at and berate my co-workers to the POINT OF TEARS. Do I even need to state how absurd and inappropriate this is??? Management was often accused of holding racial prejudice when telling guests how to behave and specifically targeting racial minorities and allowing white guests to bend the rules with far more leniency. When confronted, management insisted this was impossible. That's it. The Spa Manager is specifically the worst person I have ever worked for/with. She is a bully and torments her employees. I existed in a perpetual state of fear, I have never experienced such anxiety in my life than I did while working at Sparkling Hill. There is NO HR department so there is nothing to be done. On my first day, the person training me, the right-hand person of the Spa manager, was trying to instigate tensions and feuds between the new hires and the existing employees in gross and demeaning ways. On multiple occasions, I witnessed the Spa manager scream and yell at not only customers BUT PAYING GUESTS AS WELL. Different managers in different departments are perpetually feuding and trash-talking to each other behind their backs and this toxicity trickles down into the attitudes of the employees. None of the departments work well together and because of this, the hotel is run incredibly poorly. The constant behind the back trash-talking is childish and highly inappropriate. Beyond all of this, the hotel itself pretends to be a 5-star establishment but it is not in the slightest. It is dirty, infested with bugs, and -

Excellent if you're looking to earn quick cash, but expect to work hard for it

If the management team focused more on the employees instead of themselves, I would have stayed. There is on-site housing for staff members needing accommodation and all staff receive a discount for the spa and resort!

Pros

Spa Discounts

Cons

Poor management team

The worst management I have ever experienced - STAY AWAY

Multiple times in Sparkling Hill I witnessed my manager scream at and berate my co-workers to the POINT OF TEARS. Do I even need to state how absurd and inappropriate this is??? Management was often accused of holding racial prejudice when telling guests how to behave and specifically targeting racial minorities and allowing white guests to bend the rules with far more leniency. When confronted, management insisted this was impossible. That's it. The Spa Manager is specifically the worst person I have ever worked for/with. She is a bully and torments her employees. I existed in a perpetual state of fear, I have never experienced such anxiety in my life than I did while working at Sparkling Hill. There is NO HR department so there is nothing to be done. On my first day, the person training me, the right-hand person of the Spa manager, was trying to instigate tensions and feuds between the new hires and the existing employees in gross and demeaning ways. On multiple occasions I witnessed the Spa manager scream and yell at not only customers, BUT PAYING GUESTS AS WELL. Different managers in different departments are perpetually feuding and trash talking each other behind their backs and this toxicity trickles down into the attitudes of the employees. None of the departments work well together and because of this, the hotel is run incredibly poorly. The constant behind the back trash-talking is childish and highly inappropriate. Beyond all of this, the hotel itself pretends to be a 5 Star establishment but it is not in the slightest. It is dirty, infested with bugs, -

Soul Sucking Work Environment

I have worked here for over 3 years and with 3 different sets of managers in the restaurant and man do I have a lot to say. Basically the management has no actual concept of hiring standards, keeping stock, or interdepartmental communication. This leads to a multitude of problems where you are constantly apologizing to guests for running out of espresso (in the coffee shop), limes, egg white, specific liquors for cocktails etc. As for communication you will be working a regular bar shift and all of a sudden your pulled to go serve a 70 person cash bar banquet with 20 minutes to set up because no one told you about it or the events department dint tell the restaurant management team. Secondly the management couldn't care less about the staff the hire. They pay you minimum wage in the restaurant and unless you are senior server (which wont happen to you because they have had the same 6 core serving staff for 6+Years) you will most likely be on as a junior server/expo/host (10 - 20 dollars a night) or stuck in barrique & java (15 - 100 dollars). Barrique and java sounds good at first but the pay does not equal how much work you actually put into the job due to the responsibilities you have down there. For example as of now there is still no running kitchen in barrique so for the past year all the servers there are forced to make and sell cheese plates and antipesto plates as well as serve and watch the restaurant. As for your preferred shifts, there is a group of 3 that does all your scheduling so if you get on one of there bad sides it is not good for you. If you would -

Pros

Staff housing

Cons

No breaks, no appreciation of staff

Management is very secretive the Manager that hired me disappeared overnight was fired and noone will comment

The Manager that hired me was fair and acknowledged a good job but was fired after 5 years for a reason unknown his replacement Housekeeping Manager was a person that I think doesn't know the word Please or Thank You and instead of asking you to do something he just says "Come" like your a dog Upper Management was kind

Upper management needed better training or experience

Direct manager was awesome, they quit shortly after I did. Upper management made the atmosphere hard to do our jobs. So I would have preferred to avoid them which is no way to work.

Would not recommend

This job was extremely overwhelming. I worked in housekeeping with Pradeep as my manager and I’m happy to know he is no longer working there anymore. The housekeepers need more time to do a thorough cleaning job but they are rushed at doing even the basic cleaning, and if they go over the time limit they are “letting down” the team. If this hotel wants their guests to be happy they will let the cleaners do a better job.

Fun and great atmosphere

Worked there in the summer, it was fairly busy, great teamwork. Work culture was always fun. Learned how to work faster and more efficiently. met a lot of great people working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sparkling Hill Resort. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7