Southmedic

Southmedic Employee Reviews

Canada51 reviews
Micro managed by controller
Never happy with anything I completed

Criticized in front of co-workers

Set me up for failure

Company environment is good- they making the environment friendly but some management lack skills for managing people. Seminars for this would help them
The worse company to work for. No training. If you are not brown nosing the TL and managers, they make it very hard for you, try to make you quit. The turn around for employees is very bad. A lot of safety issues in other words employees have been hurt or can get hurt there. Please look somewhere else for employment.
Cons
There is no job security. At any moment you could be walked out and if you are contract it is written that they can just fire you with no cause. The other employees are dejected and feel that they aren't listened to from management.
They will hire you for 6 months then let you go. Always too hot. Not worth the effort. Look for something else. You wont last long if you don't do overtime every weekend. Terrible place to work.
I have many years of production experience gained from at least ten factories and numerous industry sectors.

SM would be rated the least favorable employer of all of these.
Southmedic was one of my favourite places to work. The people I interacted with were top notch amazing individuals. Unfortunately, like a lot of businesses though, good employees are removed to enhance and promote others. To say there is no nepotism would be a lie, however we all go through life ahead of the game in some way or another. It’s better to be let go, and find the right fit then to quit while you’re ahead. We all have choices, management just might make the wrong ones however are blind or lead to believe they are correct. Thank you Southmedic for setting me free, it’s the best thing that’s happened to me.
A company that started out as a small town manufacturing that benefitted the community with a solid product that people could be proud of producing.

It has turned on it's head where it is now a manufacturing company that would do anything to turn a profit (even if it means bending a few ethical rules to increase the bottom dollar)

The owner of the company has removed herself from the business and more interested in lunch dates then the company and she has left her son in charge.

He is unqualified for his role and changes the company's focus on a dime. There is a such a disconnect between himself and the labour force that he employ's. He treats them like numbers and takes advantage of foreign students that are unfamiliar with their rights.

He has no checks or balances as he has gone through so many senior managers in the company that every one that is employed are "yes" people even if it means breaking Canadian or International Law.

A company with such a good product but they are there own worst enemy as they jeopardize people's life's by their shortcuts. Everyone would be better off if they sell to a company or person that has the experience within the health care industry that can clean up this company.
Most workplaces encourage you to do your best and make sure things work smoothly for everyone on each shift. This company is the total opposite. Never in my life have I ever felt unmotivated at a job and I like to be kept busy and working throughout the shift. They go through a wave of new people and don't end up with many people wanting to stay. We went through many different supervisors and team leaders, some do their job while others act like entitled babysitters. This factory job is one of the easiest jobs I've ever done and I only ever worked at retail jobs. The workplace becomes stressful when things get misunderstood and people start to take things personally and there's not much communication from management but "work faster" and "stop talking". There's no real communication here and when you do speak up about a problem, nothing really happens until months and months later. The only time management steps in and make changes is when they lose their precious money, an audit is coming in or an accident happens. Seems like nothing will change much and that's when workers start to do their own thing and get away with it.
Overall great place to work. The majority of people are friendly and want to do a good job. Like at any company, there are some difficult characters, but that's to be expected. There are lots of opportunities for growth if you actually want to do well and have a good attitude. Production supervisors and team leads have reasonable expectations and will stick up for their team members. The factory environment is better than most. There are lots of BBQs and other staff events (free golf tournament, kids Christmas party).
Pros
Staff events, music throughout factory, job security, training/education opportunities, GMP experience
The only thing I gained from working at Southmedic is the knowledge to look for other employment. I’ve seen many people quit, others just let go and some run before their first shift is over.
Not a good choice unless you like working in a toxic environment. Narcissistic family who only cares about making a dollar. The silver spoon son who is taking over hasn't a decent bone in his body.
There is no organization at all and people are way over worked. They are always looking for people for over time, because their sales people make big promises that we can't meet without overtime. The training is pretty much non-existent, they expect you to be able to keep up with production your second week there. There is a very high turn over rate, and when you start it's on a 6 month contract.
I have worked at Southmedic for the most part of the past 18 months. I have worked in Assembly and the Mold room....for the most part these jobs are repetitive and can get boring at times, but when I applied to work at a factory, I expected that.

The pay is not the greatest, but its a factory in Ontario in 2019, if you can show me a factory that pays much more in the area, I will listen....

A typical day at work is basically go to work and do your job and go home.

The hardest part of the job is training, at first some parts of the job almost make you want to get up and leave after a day, however, I was told by a team leader to talk to them in a few weeks and let them know what I thought, and once you get the hang of the paper work etc......they were right, as any job, things come together. It also takes an effort on the part of the employee to make it work, if you go in with a sour attitude, it just won't work out.

When I started, I was told that there was favoritism, that full time staff were bossy and full of attitude.....SO i went in there with my guards up and ready for the attitude. Do not believe everything that you read or hear, the majority of the employees at southmedic are good people, willing to help new employees learn the job.

LIke any job, there is good and there is bad, some of the good is that the company pays you for your lunch break, so that you are there for 8 hours and you get paid for 8 hours, they play music on their PA system, in all areas, so it helps the shift go by, they have perks, such as summer bbqs, Christmas potlucks, and
 - more...
Pros
paid lunch, events throughout the year, music on pa system, water, coffee, gatorade provided to employees
Cons
mandatory overtime, summer shutdown vacation day policy
PLEASE IF YOU VALUE YOUR MENTAL HEALTH YOU WILL FIND A BETTER PLACE TO WORK! Management is so full of themselves they try to upsell the job on job sites that show low ratings due to horrible experiences at southmedic. Work your butt off for nothing, treated unfair while others sit in comfy seats, favoritism at its best, I mean the owner has no clue or is fully aware how management has screwed up everything. I've had multiple friends, wife and including me leave the job due to high stress where it affects our mental health that's saying something for such a basic factory job. If you don't mind highschool drama, favoritism, lack of motivation, lack of training, and lack of basic common sense then Southmedic is a place for you!
Worst managed company I have ever worked for. People get fired so frequently it became a joke about how many days would pass before we see the next email about another firing. Then they try and convice coworkers that the person that was fired did something terrible. I was also advised by my boss not to associate with people who have been fired. Little to no training when promoted, they just expect you to figure it out. They only want sheep working there, if you have an opinion that doesn't 100% agree with management you'll eventually be fired and told it is "restructuring". Such a horrible company for so many reasons, this is just a few... I could go on and on... I'm actually embarrassed that I worked there.
Pros
some good people
Cons
everything else
Having worked for a number of companies I can assure you Southmedic is a great place to work. It cares for its employees, rewards loyalty and hard work, is always open to new ideas and is very patient focused - always looking to find ways to meet customer and paitent demands.

The company has grown a lot in the last few years requiring innovative approaches to deal with space and people requirements. It continues to solve these problems through the amazing support of its employees. The future is bright at Southmedic and I would strongly encourage those looking to join a winning team to check it out.....
Pros
Open Culture, Winning Team, Great Benefits, Working for a cause to improve global Healthcare
Over my past 14 years, there have been many changes and a lot of growth at Southmedic. It is a fast paced and challenging environment with team members that are great to get along with. I feel privileged to be part of that team.
No job security and the management sucks. High stress low paying job. Nobody cares about the real issues going on in the plant not even the supervisors. The operators are never willing to help out and are full of attitudes. Turn over is crazy. Worst job ever. The president of the company also has no idea what is going on in all departments. The head of HR is clueless and doesn’t do anything about issues that are brought to his attention.
How do you fire a bunch of employees a couple weeks before Christmas only to hire a bunch of temps after Christmas. They can't even keep management around because they all quit due to overdemanding stress. They double up on jobs because they are too cheap to hire more people and then pay minimum. They were paying people in the mold department a higher rate just to fire a bunch of them and put assembly people in there cheaper. People been there almost 10yrs lost there jobs. Made ridiculous incentives to make any bonus. Do yourself a favor don't go there you'll regret I
Absolute Garbage. I would give this a 0 star rating if I could. The place is filled with all negative people and it drags your mood down to the point where you do not wanna work there anymore. The team leaders are bullies and the supervisors will not believe you over them.
Cons
Horrible Management
Management and lack of proper training... Low Wage high stress! Go elsewhere Toxic socially corrupt workplace. Expert performance is expected with no compensation.
Pros
Cons
High Stress for a minimum wage job