Southland Transportation Employee Reviews

Minimum wage. Run down poorly maintained fleet
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB19 March 2018
Wages suck. Cannot support my family. You will get more picking fruit at the green house. Fleet is poorly maintained.

Catty workers and office staff can be very abrupt.
Cons
Wages.
Great punch of co-workers
STS Bus Operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 March 2018
My beef with management is I did what they training me for and when I went to apply it in real life that did not work out for them. The said only one apple the ruttin the whole basket.
Pros
great work place
Cons
ONLY one member of the management is the problem!!!
Fast paced
Journeyman Auto Body Technician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 February 2018
Good work culture. Fair wages, friendly knowledgeable people. Overtime available. Days went fast as we were always busy. I enjoyed every aspect of my job.
Pros
Good bosses
Always felt lied to
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Highfild office ..Calgary,AB8 February 2018
Pay is horrible they promise one thing but as you will see if you work there it's not what they say Charter Managment are very rude and condescending with long hours you don't get paid for and don't ask about your pay you will be black listed bus are not reliable always broken down the only good thing is you get your class 2
Pros
You get your class 2
Cons
Typical bus driving environment, good company overall but not much opportunity for growth and advancement if you're looking for it
Floater (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 February 2018
Pleasant work environment, average compensation for the industry but insufficient overall unless this is strictly done for additional spending money or in addition to another job
Pros
Some flexibility and definitely a supportive branch management team
Cons
Pay is not great when all of the uncompensated travel time and yard time is factored in
Worst job I've had
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 February 2018
Would not recommend. Poor management, not helpful or accommodating. Nice that you can bring your kids but older ones would be better. Younger spend the majority of their waking hours strapped in a seat. They expect you to fuel, do your walk around and drive a portion of your route without pay. You only get paid for the actual route from first stop to last.
A scab shop that misrepresents the job in interview
access driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 January 2018
During the interview you'll hear platitudes like "split shifts," and "paid benefits." What they don't mention is the shift is indeed split, into a bunch of small pieces, and the benefits paid are paid all right, by you, the employee, at a $2k per year rate!

Your typical day will begin at 530-730am and finished 12 hours later, but you'll only be paid for 8. You see, Southland won't pay you for time not driving to pickup a client, and won't pay you after you've dropped off your last client and gone on "break."

During the interview it was explained that you "work for four hours, get a four hour break, and work for another four hours. A split shift!"
It shakes out like this once or twice a month. Typically, you start your day, work for an hour or two, get a two hour "break" (stuck in the far-flung reaches of the city of course), work another hour or two, then get another break. No slack pay, and no travel time paid. It's assumed the second you wheel off your last chair at the airport you can kick back and relax for two hours.

It's unbearable, but what makes it worse is the way management frames the problem. First, they harp on about collisions and safety problems while ignoring the obvious fatigue management issues inherent to such a shift structure, and second, they pass the blame over to Access Calgary. They'll claim the break scheduling is "unacceptable," but of course they have no incentive to change it, other than driver complaints, so they enter a lengthy "review" process with nothing ever getting serious attention. It's pitiful, and it's putting the public at
  more... risk.

The hiring packaged specifies "40 hours per week within 5 days over a 7 day period," but as a new employee you might get 3 or 4 full days per week. They don't mention the three hour floater shifts, and the dreaded, unpaid "on-call" block.

I could go on forever. Southland doesn't tolerate unions or other driver organization, and it shows. They stuff as many slobs into a training session as they can because they know the turnover rate is so high. It's a testament to the economic desperation felt by so many that such practices are tolerated.
Pros
Tolerable job features
Cons
Everything else
loved the people
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB8 January 2018
long hours, wide range of small towns to cover. bus drivers for the most part willing to work with your schedule and theirs. I would recommend them to others
Poor management
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB6 January 2018
Lack of organization, rude staff, catty employees and minimal training. The only thing holding people to working for Southlands is the freedom to bring your children.
if desparate or love kids
Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB6 January 2018
Low pay and not a fulltime job but if you love kids you will like this, other than office staff, some good and some not so good. You can get your class 2 for free if you stay with them for atleast 90 days, otherwise you have to pay that money back.
Pros
good for ppl looking for part time work
Cons
low income
Worse Place ever
Driver (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB4 January 2018
So much drama, hate and favoritism in the Medicine Hat office. You can get fired because of another driver spreading vicious lies and rumors about you They (management) believe the worst not even looking at your accomplishments. They don't believe in their GOOD DRIVERS and keep the worst
Pros
NO PROS here
Cons
Tons of CONS
Worst job ever
School Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 December 2017
Management is rediculous and all tight knit. If an employee complains about anyone in office, the whole teams attacks the one employee. Talks about said employee behind back to other employees and management team. When the heat starts then they want you to sweep it under the carpet and move on. They ask you to do a special needs run before your pm run to find out you don't get the special needs pay for that half hour, they tuck it in with your regular run so they can make the money off of your literal free paid run. Would not recommend this job to anyone not even my worst enemy. Oh and p.s lowest waged bus company in Edmonton even Calgary makes more
Pros
Going home
Cons
Leaving home
Able to take up to 2 kids
Student Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 November 2017
This is a decent job if you want to be with your kids and not pay daycare. However, the buses break down A LOT. There is extra expected of you that you do not get paid for. Routes have been cut and/or combined requiring longer shifts and getting home later in the evening.
Pros
Take your kids
Cons
Supervisor/management attitudes
Transportation
other (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 September 2017
Drivers are always needed. Part time hours only. Rigid rules about Hours of Service. A lot of unpaid time spent fulfilling job requirements. Caring environment
Pros
lots of free day time hours
Cons
never full time work
great place to work and every one if frendly
School Bus driver (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB5 September 2017
over all I enjoy working here every one is willing to help if and when help is needed. the equipment is in great working order and is well maintained by the mechanics
Supervisors do not care about the personal aspect of life that influences your work.
School Bus Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 August 2017
I was taken off my route due to kids on my bus lying on my children. I was then taken off my route for being sick with my children. I had back problems that I was penalized for. They would give my bus to someone else to cover their route and then in turn cover my route with someone else and they would still have me come in. they switched the supervisors and dispatchers and its been messed up ever since. They give me the run around. All I want to do is do my job and go home and only go in the office when I have too.
Pros
You can bring your children to work with you.
Great Part-Time work with amazing flexibility
Bus Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB1 August 2017
Southland has an amazing work culture and great flexibility. This job is perfect for a stay at home parent as you can bring your children with you on the bus, also a great job for retired or semi retired.
Free training and excellent support. The hardest part of the job is driving a huge bus is icy conditions but overtime your confidence and comfort level make it less stressful. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with amazing children each and every day.
positive place to work, lots of comradery with other drivers and management
School bus driver (Former Employee) –  Ogden Yard21 July 2017
did pre trip and post trip on bus every day, picked up special needs students at various high schools in the area

Lots of special meetings on a regular basis to suggest how to improve the company.
Pros
Lots of free time when not driving
Cons
limited income of 4 hours per day
Excellent job if you like young people and want part time employment
Driver (Current Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB8 July 2017
I have worked here for 3 years previously 3 years with Totem. A truly great place to work, if you can handle children with good common sense and are comfortable driving a school bus this job is for you! The company is great to work for and they do care about the employees. Dont expect to make big money, but a great job for anyone retired or a Mom with young kids who dont want to pay a babysitter. Regular staff appreciation events, I give them 9 out of 10 to work for. Good Management, winter can be a challenge driving, enjoy having rapport with young people on the bus!
Pros
Great retirement job
Cons
Winter driving can be a challenge.
a job I enjoyed
School bus driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 July 2017
mostly driving kids to and from school
A great job for semi retired people
They could use a little tweeking here and there but overall I was very happy to work for the company
The hardest part of the job is trying to find addresses when filling in for another driver's route, but they have great support staff for that if needed?
The best part of the job for me was interacting with the kids.
Pros
Not stuck in a building day to day
Cons
Mostly dealing with traffic or misbehaving childern

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southland Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.

Southland Transportation Reviews by Location