Southland Transportation
Happiness score is 70 out of 100

Southland Transportation Employee Reviews

Great Employer

Featured review

Southland Transportation selected this as a representative review
I was warmly welcomed the minute I walked into the office. Excellent training and ongoing support. I love driving the busses, they are well maintained and in good shape. I love being a part in the lives of the children, and do make a difference in their lives.

Pros

Professional Work Place

Cons

Money is not great but rewards come in many other ways.

Good Part-Time Work

Great job for having lots of free time if you're in school etc. Overall enjoyed working here. Learning curve in being able to manage kids if you don't have any of your own.Overall positive, however I am potentially out of work soon for not taking a vaccine for something that rhymes with BOVID, so that's weird.

Its a fun place to work if you are not the primary bread winner of your home.

working at Southland was awesome for me for the most part. It helped me joggle being a mom and working at the same time. The only challenge i faced initially was finding the run that fit my childrens school schedule, i.e school bus pickup and drop off time. But over all, i enjoyed my time there and i wish i didn't leave but i had to cos my driving schedule and kids school schedule started to clash this year.

Pros

potlucks, free barbecues

Cons

combined school runs

Ok job. Too low pay.

This job is fine for semi retired, parents or students to get an OK pay cheque with some freedom during the day. But the wages have stagnated while the amount of work and time commitment has increased.

Pros

Free days

Cons

Split shifts low pay

Overall great experience

Always available runs to take. If you want additional hours let the office know or request a kindergarten/lunch run. Keep track of your hours and make sure you keep your log book up to date.

Pros

Split shift so can still make appointments etc

Kids are great

This is a good job if you like kids. But low pay and van be stress full if you get rowdy kids. The drivers are helpful but also very bossy of other drivers.

Enjoyed my time here.

Very Approachable management in STSAwesome co- workers. Enjoyed my time here.Training was top notch and management made sure you were ready to perform your job duties.Miss the team and we had a good one before covid threw a wrench into it all.

Pros

Good wages.Free food on safety meeting night.Paid training, paid police check, paid physical including vision test.

Cons

Split Shift

Good company

Very good company. Do right by their employees. Care about the kids. Want everyone to be safe (driving-wise and COVID). Many health and safety procedures in place. Good benefits and pay.

I love my job!

What a great place to work. I love driving the kids and they make me laugh. Really good team atmosphere and the supervisors are really helpful. They want you to be successful. I would recommend.

Pros

Weekends and evenings off

Cons

Early mornings

One of the best in the area

One of the better companies for school bus drivers in the area. I’ve heard a lot of horror stories about some of the other ones and I can say from experience that Southland is nothing like any of that. If it hadn’t been time for me to retire, I’d still be happily employed here.

Some people were nice some not.

Worked in Medicine Hat and the people were respectful, but not in Cochrane. I had to return the bus to the Cochrane yard and find my own way back to South Calgary until I complained.

Good for growth

Southland Transportation is one of the best organizations I’ve had the pleasure to work for. They helped me to grow both professionally and personally. I met many people who changed my life for the better and I’m grateful for the experience I got here.

Compassionate managers who want to help you out

I started out as a driver for Southland, but a personal car accident I got into left me feeling jittery and nervous on the road. Instead of letting me go, they moved me over to dispatch and I couldn’t be happier.

I love it here

I love working for southland. I used to deliver produce across the country. Not only does this keep me closer to home, but the kids are a lot more fun than the vegetables ever were. Don’t recommend this job if you don’t like kids though.

As long as you’re safety conscious it’s a good job

The title says it all. As long as you’re safety conscious this is a great job. You’re responsible for the safety of every child in your care meaning you have to go above and beyond when it comes to getting them from Point A to Point B safely. They do a good job with training so there’s nothing to worry about.

I loved working at Southland as a Bus -Aide.It's a big Southland family they are very friendly and good and appreciate your work

A very lovely place there are challenges that come with the job sometimes but nothing goes unattended. You do get support and a fair deal . I wish I can go back got laid due to the pandemic

Pros

We do get Christmas a gift card and some discounts

Cons

Wish we got more insensitives or hours of work

A Plus

Amazing work environment – very friendly and welcomingNice peopleExcellent pay – regular reviews + raisesDecent hours – OT is never expectedGood work/life balancePlenty of support and thorough training at the beginning

Not for everyone

Only take the job if you enjoy driving and if you love kids. Otherwise, it’s not the job for you. I’ve seen a few drivers come here who are just looking for a paycheck and they didn’t last that long but I’ve seen many more who came onboard and came to love their job because it was something they enjoyed doing.

I wholeheartedly recommend them

Nice environment. Super helpful staff. Kick back work that’s easy to do. There are moments of monotony but more often than not each day was unique. Management will play to your strengths to help you excel.

Valuable Job

Very regulated schedule with defined pick up and drop off times which makes it a little easier to schedule appointments and child care. Morning pick up times are usually before rush hour and the afternoon drop offs sometimes do put you in afternoon rush hours. This is a problem because most other drivers on the road do not like sharing the road with large vehicles.

Pros

defined schedule

Cons

Not a fulltime job so you require a second job.

Fellow drivers were hard working people

What I liked most about working for Southland Transportation were my fellow drivers. They were a great group of people. They were hard working, kind and supportive. You always knew you could rely on them if you ever needed anything.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southland Transportation. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement