Southland Transportation

Southland Transportation Employee Reviews

Featured review
Southland Transportation selected this as a representative review
I was warmly welcomed the minute I walked into the office. Excellent training and ongoing support. I love driving the busses, they are well maintained and in good shape. I love being a part in the lives of the children, and do make a difference in their lives.
Pros
Professional Work Place
Cons
Money is not great but rewards come in many other ways.
It’s a job. It’s pretty independent Work once your trained. You don’t interact with others much. The kids are fun. Much more enjoyable then I thought it’d be.
Pros
Weekends
Cons
Early mornings with cold pre trips
Terrible management. Always drowning from huge workloads throughout the school year, not enough staff. Archaic systems. Still trying to run a national company like its a one shop joint. Inefficient. Untrustworthy. Dishonest. Very disappointing.
Pros
Reduced summer hours
Cons
Management, cramped working spaces.
I had a great experience working for Southland Transportation in Okotoks ,Alberta. The staff and fellow drivers were awesome to work along side . If you have any issues they were handled discreetly with out any animosity
Pros
don't work holidays, home weekends, you can take preschool children with you
There's a lot of pride taken by the drivers in their job of transporting the most precious cargo in the world. Personally, I have had a good experience with Southland, generally the management has an open door policy. I have worked for them for several years. They do have a lovely family feel to the company and are very helpful and generous e.g. they have an annual safety awards ceremony that drivers can work towards, at Christmas they give you a gift card for Sobeys, they have a long-term service awards ceremony, annual workplace coupons for Mark's and other store which goes up with the number of shifts worked and employee of the month. So their incentive schemes are in place. However, some of the management are better at listening than others. So sometimes you hit a brick wall with issues. Generally though a very good company to work for.
Pros
Flexible, majority of the fleet is fairly new so comfortable, fairly reliable buses. Good family feel
Cons
Not very secure, some employees feel targeted by some managers, If you dont work you dont get paid which can make it a bit competitive for extra work.
Southland Transportation was a great place to work and I enjoyed working with management. It was a relaxed environment while still maintaining great and realistic standards. Management all had open door policies and did their best to support you.
Pros
Great work enviorment.
Cons
Long hours, lower pay.
Working at SOUTHLAND,Really need to be fast and know how, as school bus company there are certain hours in a day are go go hours as the drivers waiting for there buses
Pros
You will gain a lot of experience
Cons
A lot of stress if something gone wrong
Semi retired so this is a good job for me. good training program. Friendly bunch of staff. Great kids, nice teachers and friendly parents. Looking forward to going back
Pros
On my own
Cons
better communication
Never no help for Questions when l asked always bad information. The people that work in the office don't have a clue what they are doing ,make sure you watch your hours that you work they like to short your on hours.
Southland is new to HRM and was completely unprepared to be here. Drivers are in training and have not received offer letters yet. Seniority is not based on hire date, but rather former experience. Drivers are expected to commit without understanding all of the job details, location, wages, hours. Training is unprofessional and many short cuts taken. 1 business day notice was given for training start.
Pros
Summers off
Cons
Unorganized
Don’t believe anything other than pay. And that I’ve heard from others is different in each hub. They will tell you anything to fill a spot. Than you have to jump through hoops to get placed. The do great things in other divisions but management micro managements and nobody knows what’s going on. Part time on a schedule works well if you can get it.
Very impressed with this company. Well organized and management is professional respectful and helpful in every level of the company. Typical day is very consistent and easily completed. Equipment is well maintained and communication within the company is great. As a new employee there is lots to learn but there is support from management to answer any questions, Workplace environment, very professional and friendly - key safety
Pros
key i think is management dispatch.
Cons
many drivers striving for extra work, etc. charters
Southland translation is a nice company with good management but it’s very low income which doesn’t help someone with family support here and back home like I do
If you like children it's a great opportunity. You work independently driving these students to and from school and get to know a little about each of them. They form a bond with their driver.
Job is suited for part time and retired folks or those who need the commercial driving experience. Pay isn’t great but the hours aren’t long and you can bring your kids with you if childcare is a issue. Overall I enjoyed my time there but not really a career long term type job.
I truly enjoyed my route and the children/parents on my route we had lots of fun and the experience was very rewarding. Working in between my shifts I was the receptionist at the Glenmore office. There was always something to do but the management there always made work fun and appreciated. I enjoyed my time there very much.
its part time job with nice work place .provide training management is overall good . i start working may 2019 and its very good experiece learn lots of thing .
Very good company to work. Always help you when you needed. I really enjoy working there. Routes are well planned. Management is very helpful. Thank you 😊
I met a lot of great people! So incredibly organized, everyone was very kind and respectful. Really enjoyed my time with Southland and especially the CLN folks, they work tremendously hard. Just remember, you get out what you put in, and smiles are free.
Driving is a very satisfying job, the problem comes in the pay dose not justify the amount of time put into prep and waiting. It takes a special person to be able to relate to the children and have uneventful trips. If you can’t be on time, you can’t be consistent, be understanding that we are not all the same, driving a school bus is not for you. The problem is because of the pay, there is a shortage of drivers so anyone who walks through the door becomes a driver.
I would recommend working as a school bus driver for Southland Transportion. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The management and staff were very supportive.