Southland Trailer Corp.

Southland Trailer Corp. Employee Reviews

Productive and Optimistic Place to Work

Southland Trailers is a great place to work! Everyone is super supportive and they want you to succeed and fully enable you to do so! Discounted lunches and a supportive team make this a fantastic place to work!

Do not work here

They pick who they like. And it doesn’t matter how hard you work; they say it isn’t good enough and get rid of you. Doesn’t matter if you’re just learning either, they say you catch on “too slow”. Also don’t tell them you have issues like anxiety or depression. They use that against you. They play like they will help you with your situation then turn on you.

Pros

Short work week

Cons

Bad management

Inclusive fun work place with a lot of extra training options

-10 hour work days so you get a long weekend every week.-Lots of opportunities to cross train in many positions in the company.-Days or night shifts that suit your personality or needs-Positive work environment and inclusive to all people. -

Pros

Great benefits plan

Cons

Repetitive

Great place to be

I work in the cafeteria and I love it. I get to interact with people from every production line and they are amazing guys/ladies to chat with and serve. They let it be known how much they enjoy being able to eat a hot, fresh meal twice a day. The cafeteria is a wonderful part of the company. There is some stress at times, but which job comes without it?

Pros

Lots of interaction, short work week, evenings off

Cons

Don't always have time to enjoy break

Great place to be!

I love working for the Sailer boys. Southland Trailer Corp. is a positive and dynamic work environment. They are extremely reasonable to work for, accommodating, and invested in their people! even the owners come and teach classes about the company and their values and they dedicate time to come down and educate the next leaders of this company.If you want a workplace that invests in YOU and YOUR wellbeing -- This is the place to be.

Pros

Positive, on site cafeteria, team work, encouraging, work-life balance, flexibility.

POOR at best.

The brothers can pound sand. Overall a horrible place to work. Bad pay for the work. Bad management. The company is all about that! And only that…. The company! They don’t give an F!! They’ll lay you off after a year of work… RIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS!!! 100% do not recommend

Pros

Absolutely none. See cons…

Cons

If you like being belittled and treated like garbage. Work here!

Probably an okay place to work if you have no experience...

... but if you DO have any kind of experience or credentials, look elsewhere. I applied for a welding apprenticeship after completing the Pre-Apprenticeship welding program at Lethbridge College, and was hired to install lights and wiring in open-top trailers. It was monotonous, hard on my hands and wrists (crimping wire connectors, twisting ends) and back (lots of sitting on a concrete floor!), and I was told that I had to do that for a year before I'd even be considered for an apprenticeship. Then one of my classmates from the welding program got hired on the enclosed trailer line to immediately begin a welding apprenticeship, and that was what really helped me realize Southland wasn't a company I wanted to work for.

Pros

Three day weekends, on-site cafeteria (food costs money)

Cons

Long hours, undervalued by management

Cheap.

They’d rather pay low wages and run through countless employees than raise the wage to a fair one and keep loyal employees onboard. And they go through A LOT of employees. You get fridays off, but any holiday off is always made up for on your Friday off. These guys only talk in terms of money. I don’t feel rewarded for working here, and my coworkers feel the same.

Pros

Friday’s off (sometimes)

Cons

No overtime allowed/low wage/money hungry

Great sense of camaraderie

The environment in this company is super positive and work oriented, which of course it's the way it should be. The management is super willing to teach you the things you want to know and help improve the things you already have knowledge about. The day end meetings really gives you a chance to leave your day where it is and not take added stress home with you. I have only been here for a few weeks and already I feel like I belong.

Pros

Great cafeteria, good hours and good pay

Cons

Some co works tend to complain about silly things and can make a day not so positive.

Fast paced, lots to learn

They gave me a chance which is a lot more than most companies, I’ve really enjoyed my time there so far. I have no complaints about the wage myself, I had no experience in this type of field. I feel that showing up every day and just trying to work hard was rewarded and it’s been a very positive experience for me

Pros

Fun, fast paced, lots to learn

Cons

I honestly can’t think of any, just show up and work hard with the right attitude

Challenging and fast paced but also fun and rewarding

Southland is an amazing place to work, it is a fast paced environment, but hard work is rewarded. I have been with them six months and have moved up from general labor to full time fabrication. And had a pay bump. If you work hard it gets noticed. The work is generally easy, and the management is very involved and ready to help you achieve your goals. School is taken care of if that’s what your looking for and there is job security. Which in this economy is a great thing not to mention the short work week. Friday’s off make for a great weekend. They have a cafe onsite and the breakfast and lunch are amazing. Definitely check it out

Pros

Breakfast and lunch onsite, short work week. Communicative management

Cons

Fast paced

Family environment and worker empowerment.

Working at Southland Trailers is one of the best experiences I’ve had with an employer. There is an environment dedicated to improving/supporting their staff, everyone is able to provide input on improvements for both the product being built and the workstations being used. The social programs create a friendly environment that’s feels very comfortable. Southland is always trying to lead the way, not just in the products they offer, but in the way they treat their employees.

Always Improving

this company has a big focus of doing better each day, or finding a better way to complete tasks. each week we had to submit a report on one thing we did to improve ourselves

I learned welding at a fast pace and making sure its done correctly... Different metal thickness to learn how fast. So working here all in all was good and the lead hands working with you always know the job

Pay is low, good people to work with

Pay needs to be higher, journeyman welders deserve more than $19-$22/hr Good group of guys and the social club has monthly outings like paintball and bowling. Management needs to rethink wages, to keep good staff

Official response from Southland Trailer Corp.

20 January 2020
Thank you for your feedback. There are a lot of good people working here, making it a better place. As for the wage, the range you mention is the apprentice wage for a first year onward. We also top that up with our benefits, tuition coverage, RRSP. We are competitive overall with other manufactures in town and Journeymen get a wage commensurate with their qualification, along with all the benefits, including RRSP and 100% coverage on Dental, as well as the opportunity for a 2nd ticket.

Great Place to work

Best job I've had in a long time. I get fair pay, but have a paid apprenticeship to go with that. Management is great. Young Energetic. People here get paid better if they work hard, solve problems and are always looking for ways to improve.

Great overall buisness,still building in a competitive market awesome and understanding bosses

Southland Trailer Company was a great and valuable place of work to of been hired at,learned many new skills and met a bunch of hardworking and awesome fellow employees.

Decent place for Trades

A good place to learn the trades. Tuition was paid for welding and HET apprentices. Have Friday's off most weeks. I think I worked 3 Fridays in the 6 months. Could have paid better, but the trade off was no outdoor work, no layoffs, no road trips. Could have made more at head water or charleton but $30 bucks an hour is only good when they have work.

No good stay away

Employees are good management sucks they treat your bad bad wage easy hours no money to be made you scrape by and get treated like dirt

Pros

Cons

Everything about this place

Fun place to work with great people.

Great shift, good people to work with great attitudes. No challenge is too big. Always steady work, no layoffs then mass hires, nice consistence pace. Good company that is always growing.

Rock bottom wages

Tested for this company, MCAW flat, hot and vert on pretty thin material for the process but that's not my call. End of the day not worth the time for the rock bottom wages they're paying $25/hr for a third year putting J-men well under $30/hr, meaning barely over minimum wage for a labor/first year, and disgustingly under the average. Was glad I found a better place with fairer wages. For such a big company you're working for dirt there, only perk is the "extras" they add for breaktime.

Pros

Break activities

Cons

Rock bottom wages

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southland Trailer Corp.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.8Job security/advancement

Compare Southland Trailer Corp. with

• Southland Trailer Corp.