Southland Trailer Corp. Employee Reviews

Great Place to work
Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB30 October 2019
Best job I've had in a long time. I get fair pay, but have a paid apprenticeship to go with that. Management is great. Young Energetic.
People here get paid better if they work hard, solve problems and are always looking for ways to improve.
Great overall buisness,still building in a competitive market awesome and understanding bosses
MATERIAL HANDLER (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB9 October 2019
Southland Trailer Company was a great and valuable place of work to of been hired at,learned many new skills and met a bunch of hardworking and awesome fellow employees.
A fun easy place to work, lots of good people.
Welder/Fitter (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB13 September 2019
Southland is a great place with an easy going environment, The people are great, its a safe place you can learn skills and feel comfortable. Unfortunately the wages are very low for the work expected and there is very little room to grow or advance. there is never overtime and my paycheques do not cover my bills, i cannot afford to work here.
Decent place for Trades
Welder (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge24 July 2019
A good place to learn the trades. Tuition was paid for welding and HET apprentices. Have Friday's off most weeks. I think I worked 3 Fridays in the 6 months. Could have paid better, but the trade off was no outdoor work, no layoffs, no road trips. Could have made more at head water or charleton but $30 bucks an hour is only good when they have work.
No good stay away
Welder (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB15 July 2019
Employees are good management sucks they treat your bad bad wage easy hours no money to be made you scrape by and get treated like dirt
Pros
Cons
Everything about this place
Fun place to work with great people.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB24 June 2019
Great shift, good people to work with great attitudes. No challenge is too big. Always steady work, no layoffs then mass hires, nice consistence pace. Good company that is always growing.
Rock bottom wages
Prospective employee (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge Alberta14 December 2018
Tested for this company, MCAW flat, hot and vert on pretty thin material for the process but that's not my call. End of the day not worth the time for the rock bottom wages they're paying $25/hr for a third year putting J-men well under $30/hr, meaning barely over minimum wage for a labor/first year, and disgustingly under the average. Was glad I found a better place with fairer wages. For such a big company you're working for dirt there, only perk is the "extras" they add for breaktime.
Pros
Break activities
Cons
Rock bottom wages
Fun place to work with great people.
Line worker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB9 August 2018
Southland trailers is the best. I love the 4 day work weeks and the in house cafe. The coworkers are great and the moral always seems high here. I cant say enough good things about STC!!
Pros
In house cafe, 4 day work weeks, decent pay
Cons
Have to work stat holidays with no offer of day of lue.
Not productive at all
Welder/ Fabricator (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB23 April 2018
Getting workers to do jobs that are not safe, when you refuse to do the unsafe work they FIRE you. Lunch on site is the only good thing there. The foreman is bad for their company.
Pros
Hot lucnh on site
Cons
unsafe work
30 April 2018

We at Southland Trailer Corp are sorry for your experience. The heath and safety manager never received a report of refusal for unsafe work so it is difficult to back track what you are saying, please contact our health and safety department.
Also STC would never terminate employment due to a refusal for unsafe work, please contact our human resources department for clarification on your termination.

doing it right
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB17 April 2018
there is never a dull moment at work . it is truly a fast pace environment with constant growth and improvements to the product . With training that the coaches and managers provide, I have even used it in my own personal life how to organize and sustain . I have always felt that the owners and management team have my back and treat me well. southland has a saying "Doing it right the first time" I personally own a southland dump trailer and i am proud of our product i helped build. The most rewarding thing for me at southland is to be able to pass on knowledge that i have acquired over the years and getting a thank you so much . It is truly a family owned company and a team work driven atmosphere .
Pros
thursdays free popcorn and a caffiteria .great managment team . clean shop
Good Environment
Marketing and Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB11 April 2018
This was a good family owned business with a strong organizational culture. Located in Lethbridge so pay is low compared to rest of alberta as there is no oil
Best job i've ever had!
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB9 April 2018
Awesome people, free training, in house cafeteria, lots of fun social club events, progressive thinking, solid benefits. List goes on but overall I very much enjoy working at this company!
Pros
Free Gourmet Lunch for perfect attendance! Fast pace, growing company, lots of room to move up!
Cons
None.
Definitely not trying to keep their employees happy.
Production Worker (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB1 April 2018
Don’t expect a “competitive” wage. I took a 10.00$/hr paycut to work here when I moved to lethbridge. You’ll basically cap out at 25.00$/hr even if you’re a journeyman welder. Mediocre benefits at best and only after 6 months. There are some really good lead hands and head coaches but their hands are tied most of the time. Schedule is basically the only redeeming quality. Fridays off are nice if you don’t have to come in at 6:00am and Work for only 4 hours because overtime isn’t permitted.
They now pay for stat holidays (we only got paid for stats if it fell on a Monday) but In order to balance it out, we no longer receive paid coffee breaks and you’ll still end up working an extra day on the next weekend for lost production hours from them so graciously giving you a STATUTORY holiday off. Kinda defeats the purpose of a day off.
Seriously, coffee breaks?
They took away PPE allowance(I’ve always worked in the trades and I’ve never NOT had PPE allowance)
Basically, this company will pinch every penny they can on the backs of their employees and blame it on government policies. They keep saying “this is our best year” and “we’re on track to give out big bonuses” but the “bonuses they’re referring are basically money that they owe us for all the cuts. I recommend working here if you enjoy making a whole bunch of money to a company that’s going to give you as little as they can get away with. But hey, at least you get a foozball table.
Pros
Friday off most weeks.
Cons
Low wages, No safety allowance, no paid coffee breaks, make up for the stat holidays you don’t work, mediocre benefits
4 April 2018

We at STC apologize for your frustration. STC does offer a succession plan so you can plan out your own increases and success, there is no salary cap. Our benefits do cover 100% therefore it is required that you work for 6 months before being eligible. STC pays for ALL stat holidays no matter what day they fall on. Also, there have been no changes to the breaks, you are allowed to have coffee breaks and lunch breaks. The PPE allowance was unfortunately taken away temporarily due to employees making copies of the vouchers. We hope to have another allowance package launching soon. STC has also introduced profit sharing to give our employees a bonus that has never been offered in the past.This has been one of the most successfule years for STC and they plan on sharing it with the employees. Im truley sorry you feel this way but I question where this information is coming from. Please see your HR manager if you have any further concerns.

Terrible work environment
Line Technician (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB13 March 2018
Southland Trailers is a terrible company to work for. There is ZERO staff appreciation. An employee doesn't receive benefits until he/she has been there for 6 months. The place is a revolving door for employees. Southland is too demanding for very little pay.
Pros
Cons
Everything related to the company.
4 April 2018

We at STC are sorry that you felt like you were not appreciated. We do reward our employees after 3 months with free southland swag, a special thanks from our senior managers and a signing bonus. STC also has a succession plan so you can plan out your own success and increases that goes with it. Our benefits package offers 100% coverage which is why the waiting period may be longer than our competitors.
We also pay for our apprentices schooling so they can get their journeyman ticket with no student debt.
STC truly does value their employees and do their best to keep everyone happy.
Please contact us if we can help any further.

work of my dream
receptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 December 2017
i love this place as i am working here for like a year now, i enjoy working here and salary is also very good, they also have fridays off and a very good staff
Excellent
Production Engineer (Current Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ON20 December 2017
Enjoy working with all the people at Southland, good food and free breakfast at the onsite cafe, nice modern equipment for processing the steel & the company is always looking for ways to make the job easier
best job I've ever had
Managing Director (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 December 2017
Constantly learning new things that can build my career. Makes you think outside the box and find motivation in new ways. Management always wants to see hard workers advance.
Totally Recommended
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 December 2017
Great place to start your career. Workplace is continuously changing to adapt to industry standards and to operate as lean as possible. Plenty of opportunities to prove yourself and advance through the company.
Pros
Friday off
good place
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, PE20 December 2017
I've worked at Southland trailers for 7 years and it only seems to become better. The management is always ready to listen to employees and make any changes to make your job easier and more productive.
Fun place to work
Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 December 2017
I am working for the company for almost 5 years now and i have never encountered any serious issue with the company, the staff is very friendly and helpful, the salaries are great and the have lots of promotion schemes.
Pros
Comfortable work space

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southland Trailer Corp.. Our community is ready to answer.