Southlake Regional Health Centre

Southlake Regional Health Centre Management reviews

Canada66 reviews
Working at Southlake is both hard work but rewarding. Staff usually are helping you and communicating is on daily basis with management. Suggest you learn about working at hospitals
Turn over rate is extremely high. No one has any respect to each other. The sense of entitlement is unbelievable. You will not be working with the same team for long as it is a race to the exit. You will either ever fired or you will quit unless you are part of the union, you can file a grievance.
Pros
You have a job
Cons
Heavily unionized environment
I enjoyed being here and the people that I worked with. There are some issues with communication among management and staff as well as with family and staff sometimes.
This is a nice place to work. It has an advantage of having the opportunity of job advancement. The management are very cooperative and understanding and most enjoyable place to work
Pros
Union and job advancement
Cons
No free lunches
Wonderful colleagues...Amazing management and team who take the time to give you positive feedback. H.E.L.P clients make the experience unforgettable. You never realize the difference you make in someones life until they ask you directly when will you be returning. All the best!
Management did not provide adequate training to me. No formal or informal feedback given from my manager. Management instead of looking at the work flow and process issue, blamed the staff instead. Everyone was tired and overworked and under appreciated. The hospital has an archaic system of electronic health records and often orders would be missed because somebody couldn’t read a doctors writinng or just placed a patients chart in the wrong orientation. If only the patients knew! Lots of medical errors made giving me anxiety and worry about my patients everyday. After a month I was burnt out. Would not recommend since the employer doesn’t invest in your growth as a professional for how much effort you put in.
Pros
Patient care
Cons
Management, poor staff support, poor communication and feedback process
This is the worst place on earth to work for - staff turnover is so high that it's hard to remember who comes in and goes. Management is so cut throat and transparency is not part of their culture. However, they'll pay you high figure to get you in then start laying off staff from your team to cover that cost, job security is a hard find here. There is always a hidden agenda at the top brass, and a lot of infighting with hospital board. This place is a good example of closed door management style and all about "make me look good' management. Micro management and riding on fear culture is what you'll experience here. Stay away from this toxic place (foundation).
Pros
Absolutely non
Cons
Entire foundation
Spent 5 years as a unit clerk and 5 years as an RPN. Great experience, some issues with management. Great supportive environment from other staff members.
I loved my years at southlake some of the leading doctors and nurses available. never a bad day. always with supportive colleagues and management. nursing shortage exists as with anywhere but everyone pulls together
Nursing staff mostly good. Managers not; contract not followed, ++grievances. Being overcensed is the norm. Staff injured and abused by pt’s often; emerge very unsafe d/t poor layout, high turnover, too many inexperienced staff. Staff retention not important to management, will just replace you with someone new.
Pros
Good pension plan
Cons
Unsafe, low staffing, micro-management, too much mid-management
- Great opportunity for volunteering
- Great communication and interpersonal advantage

- learned the value of life

- management and staff great to work with
- workplace culture is great
- hardest part seeing others in a difficulty and the least you can do is listen in order to take action

- most enjoyable part is seeing people smiling and being encouraged even though of their illness

- Most amazing experience. People can make a change and a difference in someone's life.
Great staff and work environment. I was exposed to a lot of different items covering both workplace culture/management/work level. I would recommend this to everyone.
Money is their driving force. You will survive providing you agree with senior management. Directors do not consider seniority and some have favourites.
Pros
Benefits and pension
Cons
Job security
Poor communication amongst management and lack of staff support. Poor recognition for years of service. Difficult to maintain educational goals due to poor support.
Pros
Convenient location
Cons
inability to keep up with growth of community due to lack of services.
Friendly staff; community oriented care; approachable management members; online learning resources available for staff and clients to access; client-centered care
Typical disability case specialist role. Compensable and non compensable cases, attendance management, physical and psychological issues managed. Both union and non union employers.
everyone is great to work with and everyone is very helpful. Management is great and they are helpful as well. Shifts in my department are 8 hours and that works great for me.
I like coming to work to see all the patients, put a smile on their face.
If you have any ambition or career goals, stay away from this place. There is no mentor ship for staff so your on your own. They do not promote from within and only hire from outside.
In my position I dealt with many departments and managers, most were not very nice. It is top heavy with no respect for the front-line worker
By far, the HR dept. has been the most unprofessional and unorganized group I have ever met. Always on vacation or unavailable. There isn't any continuity, nobody has any clue who is handling what.
I have accepted another offer.
Pros
Unknown
Cons
Horrible Human Resources and Recruiters
My experience as an intern at Southlake was pleasant because of the exposure to the different activities in the communications office. It is not an overly high stress environment and there is an emphasis on internal communications in my role. I admire that they are catching up on social media and being transparent with their communications to the community. There has been some negative media coverage during my time due to workplace violence but the hospital showed initiative in providing a solution and has brought it to senior management to put in place a code white button for each staff on their badge.The most enjoyable part of the job are the collegiality of the coworkers. My managers and director were helpful and always open to feedback.
Pros
Weekly team lunches, on-site Tim Hortons
Cons
Health-care initiatives can take a long time to move forward.
great co-workers, very helpful
management listens and addresses any concerns