Southlake Regional Health Centre Employee Reviews

Insightful and opening workplace
Gift Shop Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON9 April 2018
Southlake Regional Health Centre is a new and established facility with welcoming and supportive staff in all areas of the centre. As a gift shop volunteer, the staff had proper training and guidance to be fully equipped with the knowledge and skills required to run a gift shop. The centre is well-respected and a great place for the pursuance of medical or health careers
Great environment
Management (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON13 March 2018
Working at Southlake has many great benefits. The pay is excellent, and you can make an impact on the people around you. As with any public sector, finances are always an on-going topic. Staff consistently want the latest and greatest, without taking into consideration that we only receive public funding and/or grants.

Once you look past that, Southlake has many great qualities such as education reimbursement, training courses and employee assistance programs that make it a great place to work.
Pros
Making a positive impact daily
Cons
Unionized environment - sometimes staff believe because they are in a union, it is okay to do the bare minimum
REGULAR PART TIME RPN (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON20 February 2018
Great staff and work environment. I was exposed to a lot of different items covering both workplace culture/management/work level. I would recommend this to everyone.
Worked over 7 years
Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON1 February 2018
Money is their driving force. You will survive providing you agree with senior management. Directors do not consider seniority and some have favourites.
Pros
Benefits and pension
Cons
Job security
overworked and underpaid
Pharmacy Technician (Current Employee) –  pharmacy2 January 2018
beds are always over censed . New floors units open and no new staffing is allocated for this. They just add more work on top of the over stressed employees right from nurses to lab, pharmacy , X-ray
cleaning staff etc..
The motto is "do more with less" from the Lean team Manager!
Cons
overcensed all the time
Productive workplace
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON15 August 2017
Friendly staff; community oriented care; approachable management members; online learning resources available for staff and clients to access; client-centered care
Great place to work!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Newmarket ontario27 February 2017
Working at Southlake brings change and excitement on a regular basis as it strives to provide for patients and families the ultimate hospital experience! Our team is resilient and loyal as well as single minded in its pursuit of innovative solutions to patient care challenges. The hardest part of my job is managing flowthrough of patients with the increased pressures of bed shortages. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing results for the hard work and dedication to patients our team puts out regularly; seeing results that improve patient care!
Great team adds to your success
Health Information Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON20 January 2017
I am currently working in the Health Care Industry as a Coordinator, Health Information Services with previous experience as a Data Quality Analyst.
After Eight (8) years at my current employment, I have decided to pursue career opportunities to utilize my interest, knowledge and experience of network analysis and system analysis to drive projects to successful completion. At my most recent position as a Health Information Coordinator, I have acquired strong analytical and problem solving skills, leadership responsibilities and implement and maintain compliance to health information systems.
During my professional involvement, I have acquired skills in proactive business decision-making, by developing quantitative and qualitative analysis and recommendations. I am highly detail-oriented, technically advanced and work well independently and in challenging environments.
Very friendly people
Environmental Services / Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON9 July 2016
everyone is great to work with and everyone is very helpful. Management is great and they are helpful as well. Shifts in my department are 8 hours and that works great for me.
I like coming to work to see all the patients, put a smile on their face.
Review of Southlake Hospital as a volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON6 June 2016
I volunteer for the Eating Disorder Program at Southlake Hospital. I typically go into work every chance I get to increase my hours for medical school. A typical day working at Southlake consists of entering patients charts into a database in hope to find correlations among the patients' disorders. The hardest part of working in a hospital is having to see people struggle and in pain. However, the most enjoyable part of the job is being able to help those struggling and in pain, I am able to comfort and talk to patients about their sufferings and worries and try to help them. Knowing I can positively impact people on a daily basis is what makes this job so rewarding.
If you have any ambition or career goals, stay away from this place.
Clerical (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON1 June 2016
If you have any ambition or career goals, stay away from this place. There is no mentor ship for staff so your on your own. They do not promote from within and only hire from outside.
In my position I dealt with many departments and managers, most were not very nice. It is top heavy with no respect for the front-line worker
great staff in AF
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON27 April 2016
The surgical team for AF is excellent; with an easy-going, fun-team environment. Pricey parking but cheaper across the road or 2 monthly pass options.
fun workplace
RN - Inpatient (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON2 March 2016
A typical day at work is busy, fun, full of knowledge and new informations, skills and challenges.
Hardest part is when people don't appreciate the hard work.
Quality care
Staff Nurse, Coronary Care Unit (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON24 November 2015
Dedicated to providing quality health care, puts patients first.
regional center, providing advanced services to a large part of Central Ontario
Fantastic Learning Experience
Clinical Placement (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON18 October 2015
As a student, it can be intimidating learning in such a fast paced environment. However, the team at Southlake is very encouraging and provides such a positive learning environment.
Horrible Human Resources
Director (Former Employee) –  Medicine29 September 2015
By far, the HR dept. has been the most unprofessional and unorganized group I have ever met. Always on vacation or unavailable. There isn't any continuity, nobody has any clue who is handling what.
I have accepted another offer.
Pros
Unknown
Cons
Horrible Human Resources and Recruiters
It's all about the people you work with...
Pre-op Scheduling/Emergency Clerk (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON12 July 2015
If your lucky enough to work with a great group of people then your work life is made easier knowing that they have your back.

Emergency department staff aren't just co-workers, we're family.
Wonderful people excellent place to work
Database Instructor/QA Representative (2008-2014) (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON26 February 2015
I worked at Southlake for my whole career loved it there people were great wonderful working environment. Would highly recommend anyone to apply there.
Rn
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON30 October 2014
Southlake has been a wonderful place to work throughout my nursing career. Unfortunately due to health care costs and hospital deficits the hospital has made major financial cuts in the past few years. As I am sure this is the same with other hospitals.
We unfortunately work short as they are not willing to pay OT unless desperate.
My co- workers are one of the best things about working at Southlake, wonderful staff!
Pros
Close to home, medium- large sized hospital
Cons
Budget cuts, morale
Encouraging workplace
Research Assistant (Volunteer) (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, Ontario2 October 2014
Very helpful staff