Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
Happiness score is 72 out of 100

Southern Alberta Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Canada178 reviews

Engaging and result-oriented expectations

One day a week with an on-campus shift at the front desk in the International Centre office where we answer in-person student queries while resolving FreshDesk tickets or performing other administrative tasks. One definitely gets to learn how to act professionally at times of difficult student encounters/situations, you learn about the dynamics of working in an education-driven environment while gaining knowledge every day!

Pros

AUPE membership

Cons

Last-minute tasks with tight deadlines

Dysfunctional and Unprofessional

There are absolutely zero perks to working here, as unlike other RA positions there is no housing discount for working here, and no offer of a studio bedroom for working here either. Management is unorganized and often times RAs are not updated on basic info and therefore can't even help students.

Pros

Considerate of school schedule

Cons

Only can work 6:30pm-1:30am, no other shift options

Insights into Southern Alberta Institute of Technology

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Ability to learn new things
Areas for improvement
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

SAIT is NOT doing well financially - lack of supplies in course & instructors fighting for limited supplies. Negative, disrespectful work environment.

Terrible place to work. Drama, corporate ladder climbing, people willing to step on anyone to get ahead as this behaviour is rewarded & promoted. Very strict regime, too much red tape to do/get the simplest task done. I do not recommend working here - high staff turnover for reason. They constantly have advertisements for needing instructors for a reason. Hardly anyone stays on unless they’re financially desperate or enjoy the drama & chaos.

Benefits

Cons

The culture.

Very encouraging start. Disappointing collaboration with colleagues.

Initially thrilled, I gradually became more and more disappointed as far as collaboration with some colleagues is concerned. A lot of "politics" going on.

Pros

sufficient workload. in terms of the feeling that one works F/T.

Cons

Quite low pay rate and high demands (in terms of time dedicated), not enough recognition for the whole effort.

No job security

For long term engagement look elsewhere better for short term consulting engagement . No promotions and performance perks.management is poor overall. The school has got great contents

Engaging environment

I truly enjoyed my tenure wiring at SAIT. I enjoyed the challenges of the job, the responsibilities and the collegial feel. It is a lage college, so be aware that each department or school, will present its own unique challenges and experiences.

Pros

Excellent colleagues, summers off, and excellent professional development opportunities

Cons

Can have periods of heavy workload.

Teaching is great but SAIT is very poorly managed

Teaching eager adult learners is an enjoyable experience for those that prepare and know what they are talking about. Every morning I am eager to get to work. Unfortunately over the past couple years SAIT has laid off over 150 staff (support and faculty) and converted permanent positions into contract positions. They are being directly replaced with either outside companies or with contractors at less than half the wage with no benefits, little training and zero job security. More layoffs to follow in 2021. They are literally laying off loyal staff that have worked here for over 20 years. When a permanent person retires they convert the position into a contract position. If you are looking for a job it is a fair place to work short-term but if you are looking for a career look elsewhere. Don't waste your time. There are no new career opportunities at SAIT.

Pros

Teaching is very enjoyable

Cons

Zero job security, no future career

You will get to work with some amazing people who are/were the industry leaders. It was great working with fun loving staff and faculty at the School of Hospitality.

Pros

Work-life balance, food outlets on campus and in downtown, vacation time and benefits while working on campus

Cons

Job security, salary

Worst job ever

The worst place and staff that I have ever seen 35 years of training. I still cannot believe that our tax dollars support such a place! I found management only care that you are dumber than them, just a feifdom for liberal failed tradesmen and so called teachers nothing to see there run unless being p on

Cons

My Time at Southern Alberta Institute of Technology was a great experience working as a contract instructor.

Lots of Personal training & support available to succeed as a instructor. I enjoyed the culture and team atmosphere! Classes & Shops were properly designed to allow for balance between practical and educational experience for those teaching and those learning

Loved the environment i placed at. One on one with students was my style. Although I loved the work i was doing, communication from the top end was never on the ball. Information was always sketchy and not very clear. My team lead at the time was trying his best to keep the team informed but even he was not sure on what was going on as CEO's were never clear.

Pros

Was a good work environment

Cons

Hard to get a raise

SAIT Alumni and Development was collaborative and supportive.

SAIT is a large institution and employee experience varies from department to department. My area, Alumni and Development is a positive and collaborative work environment.

OK for the short-term.

I was a contractor for SAIT and came recommended, therefore an interview was not really required. I did a specific task for six months and then was not renewed. Overall I was able to perform my duties with minimal supervision and enough trust and respect to feel very productive.

Pros

Great work/life balance, working from home.

Cons

Management seemed to change, a backlog of work made things a bit stressful

Fast paced hands on

SAIT is a very practical school that offers a lot of instructor support. Although supportive in my career, could maybe have a better transition from collage to career.

Productive workplace and very rewarding

Very busy workplace, multitasking an asset, most enjoyable times was interaction with students and instructors. Gained a lot of knowledge on the workings of a post secondary institution.

Fun place to work

Very enjoyable place to work I would really recomend it. The culture of the work place is very relaxed and friendly. I really enjoyed working there,

Best job yet

I was working with a small team which was separate from the rest of SAIT which made it different experience from elsewhere on campus. It would have been a dream to stay, but budget cuts sent me packing. I hope to find another team that works together so well in a healthy workplace environment.

fun

admin duties, a great place to work. great management, great instructors, productivity is rewarded, great team building opportunities, students are amazing.

Great work environment

I loved working for the SAIT Calling Program. Each supervisor was incredibly accepting and nice. It helped expand my customer service skills and gave me the ability to talk to amazing alumni who love SAIT as well. The hardest part about the job was getting consistent donations from the alumni as not everyone can contribute. I loved working with everyone and having frequent group activities which helped motivate us for the calling shift.

Nice place to study and work

Nice place to study and work.People in here very nice and friendly. Nice lab in overall! However, old instrument using but still go to use . Good place for studying as it will give you many experiences before graduating

Great School

Great institution with amazing staff. Everyone is very helpful and willing to work together to help students succeed. Access To support and supplies.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southern Alberta Institute of Technology. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement