Southern Alberta Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

Enjoyable part of the job
Business Intelligence Analyst (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 July 2019
As a student of SAIT in the Spring 2019 Business Intelligence class, I started by learning the rudiments of data management and how a data culture can help an organisation gain insights in their business, see the past and present trends while being able to make future projections
Used to be good
IT Specialist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 July 2019
Then they brought in an American company called Campus Works to "provide oversight." They immediately inserted a dozen of their buddies into Associate Director positions they invented and fired 19 of our IT department. So far, the only promise they've kept is the upgrade of our ERP system, for which they hired 64 contractors and half of it still doesn't work. All their other magic bullets turned out to be way to expensive.

I pity the students come September.
Pros
Good benefit package and lots of time off
Cons
Bad management
Great Place to Learn
Earned Master Electrician (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 July 2019
SAIT has very dedicated instructors that have a willingness to go above and beyond in order for students to understand material matter. The school also has a wide variety of equipment to use that allows students to put the theory of what they've learned in a classroom environment into practice.
best Institute
student (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB20 June 2019
Good institute to for leaning and upgrade your skills. build your confidence and perfectly give you a professional shape to enter in industry and leverage your career of choice.
Full time Faculty (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 June 2019
SAIT has been a great place to work and has helped me develop as a professional. The school has great perks that can really take your professional career to the next level.
full time Sensations Cashier
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 June 2019
worked as full time lead cashier. I was responsible for the retail food ordering and all bank deposits.
SAIT is a great place to work and continue your career.
Productive and fun workplace , Professional and hands on work . Very good instructors works under pressure Access to all information you need helpfu
CIVIL ENGINEER TECHNOLOGIST (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 May 2019
Productive and fun workplace ,
Professional and hands on work .
Very good instructors
works under pressure
Access to all information you need
helpful instructors and friendly.
Pros
instructor
Cons
too many assignment
Nice People to work with but long hours poor benifits
Executive Chef Chartwells (Current Employee) –  Chartwells at SAIT Calgary Alberta16 March 2019
Great group of people, however work long hours and very difficult to get back extra time given.
Upper management not that great, DM and VP do not walk the talk
Pros
Day work
Cons
Long hours, lousey benifits
Multicultural and fun enviroment.
VOLUNTEER (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 March 2019
I developed excellent customer service skills working with people from different countries. I have built strong communication skills in a team-work environment.
good place to start if you are a student
Polytechnic Student Calling Program (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 March 2019
I was a student caller. The pay is above average, but hours are limited. Although, you can select days to work but available hours are only from 5-9. You get to talk to alumni and it's 50/50 good and bad.
I am glad that I left this company
Payroll and Benefits Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 February 2019
This was my first fulltime payroll job after I finished my payroll studies.
The training for new hires, it was poor and disorganized. The people in my office said that their training menu was 8 years old and no one to update it. I was told to create a training menu, consider that I was new and I needed guidance as well. It was a joke, I had no idea of what to do. They gave me the union menus to read for a week, there were 3 unions and they were thicker than yellow pages. They expected me to know everything after one week from the readings. If I asked questions, they felt that I annoyed them and I was stupid. This girl said to me that I should know it by now because I was there for couple of weeks. They weren’t forgiving people if you made mistakes. There wasn’t team work spirit.
I thought that my coworkers were supposed to be well-educated and knowledgeable in my environment. In fact, people were there because they held the job for 1-2 decades. They were backstabbers (except this one girl) and gossipers. They talked behind everyone and everything. I felt intense and pressure after couple of weeks. It was a negative experience to me. I disliked the job, and started to think that it wasn’t the right job for me. On the other hand, I needed the payroll job experience, I refused to leave.
I’ve got to worked 9 days and banked 1 day off. Because this job was too stressful and too much work, I hardly enjoy my 1 day off. I had nightmares.
This workplace has great sick leaves. In general, I saw workers tense to take sick days, & then short term and long
  more... term leave. I am the type of person who rarely take any sick days. Throughout my six months of work, I didn’t call in sick at all. This workplace’s system it is just corrupted. This wasn’t my type of job.
I left the company over a decade. At first, I thought it was something wrong with me because I couldn’t keep this job. My self-esteem was dropped down to zero. This job experience really boarder my horizon.
Now, I know that it wasn’t me who had the issues. I am able to keep my current job for over 1 decade.
Pros
You can take lots of sick days
Cons
You have to take over your co-workers tasks when she is away sick
The Best Employer Ever
Math & Physics Instructor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 February 2019
SAIT is the best employer I ever worked in, the academic chairs I worked for are amazing to understand the situation of the instructors. Having more than one opportunity is a big deal in any company. I really love to give as much time to my best company.
Pros
Everything is Amazing regarding the timing of classes.
Cons
Hours of teaching are fantastic
Inept leadership
Managment (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 February 2019
When I began at SAIT, it was fantastic, tremendous vision and management. Beginning in 2016 a number of key management positions were forced out and replaced by unqualified puppets who would fall in line with the top level of managers. This practice still continues and while there are still some possible "pockets of bliss" to be found at SAIT, the overall environment there is one of fear and frustration under the current leadership.
Pros
Great view of the city
Cons
Poisonus work enviornoment
Exceptional place to learn
Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 February 2019
Vary friendly staff teachers that want you to succeed and will put in the effort to make sure it happens so long as you do it as well cannot say enough good things great experience.
Best school I have gone to.
SAIT Journalist/ Photojournalist (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 February 2019
SAIT is very hands on and all of my instructors helped me further in my career path. All of my instructors have told me about their experience with everything.
Career Focussed
Access Services Librarian (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 January 2019
I enjoyed my thirty year career with the SAIT Library. SAIT is focussed on career training. Students, staff and instructors are highly motivated and strive for professional success.
Pros
Great Professional Development Oppurtunities
Cons
Overall a great place to learn new skills
Contracts Administrator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2019
Great people to work with for the most part, but management practices are not consistent across the org. The experience of working there can vary greatly depending on the dept/school/division. Good opportunities available to upgrade skills by taking courses. Good benefits but not as much job security as you would expect for a unionized workplace.
Pros
Training opportunities
Cons
HR is not great
4TH class lab experience
4th Class Power Engineer lab Student (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 December 2018
Intended a comprehensive power engineering lab after completing power engineering theory courses to gain six months of valuable hands-on experience for my 4th class ticket.
Pros
Great instructors, Jim and Dale with a lot of experince
Cons
Working during evening and some nights to Cover my bills
I got very good experience in SAITSA Elections
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 December 2018
It was my first work in Canada. I got a very good experience and supervisor to encourage me and help them in elections. My other members had worked with it before and they also told me many new things.
This place is toxic and soul destroying
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 December 2018
worked at SAIT for 5+ years and have never seen a place that has more ego. The turn around in senior management proves how horrible it is, if senior people don't want to stay who does? I have never met anyone that has left and has anything good to say about SAIT. The culture is one of throwing people under the bus, motivation is done by fear and it is common that people step on others to get ahead. Workplace bullying is rife in most departments and HR is only concerned with covering it up instead of correcting the issue. It's the only place I know that continually gets worse.
Pros
vacation
Cons
bullying, HR cover ups, ruled by fear