Southern Alberta Institute of Technology

Southern Alberta Institute of Technology Employee Reviews

For long term engagement look elsewhere better for short term consulting engagement . No promotions and performance perks.management is poor overall. The school has got great contents
I truly enjoyed my tenure wiring at SAIT. I enjoyed the challenges of the job, the responsibilities and the collegial feel. It is a lage college, so be aware that each department or school, will present its own unique challenges and experiences.
Pros
Excellent colleagues, summers off, and excellent professional development opportunities
Cons
Can have periods of heavy workload.
Teaching eager adult learners is an enjoyable experience for those that prepare and know what they are talking about. Every morning I am eager to get to work. Unfortunately over the past couple years SAIT has laid off over 150 staff (support and faculty) and converted permanent positions into contract positions. They are being directly replaced with either outside companies or with contractors at less than half the wage with no benefits, little training and zero job security. More layoffs to follow in 2021. They are literally laying off loyal staff that have worked here for over 20 years. When a permanent person retires they convert the position into a contract position. If you are looking for a job it is a fair place to work short-term but if you are looking for a career look elsewhere. Don't waste your time. There are no new career opportunities at SAIT.
Pros
Teaching is very enjoyable
Cons
Zero job security, no future career
You will get to work with some amazing people who are/were the industry leaders. It was great working with fun loving staff and faculty at the School of Hospitality.
Pros
Work-life balance, food outlets on campus and in downtown, vacation time and benefits while working on campus
Cons
Job security, salary
The worst place and staff that I have ever seen 35 years of training. I still cannot believe that our tax dollars support such a place! I found management only care that you are dumber than them, just a feifdom for liberal failed tradesmen and so called teachers nothing to see there run unless being p on
Cons
Lots of Personal training & support available to succeed as a instructor. I enjoyed the culture and team atmosphere! Classes & Shops were properly designed to allow for balance between practical and educational experience for those teaching and those learning
Loved the environment i placed at. One on one with students was my style. Although I loved the work i was doing, communication from the top end was never on the ball. Information was always sketchy and not very clear. My team lead at the time was trying his best to keep the team informed but even he was not sure on what was going on as CEO's were never clear.
Pros
Was a good work environment
Cons
Hard to get a raise
SAIT is a large institution and employee experience varies from department to department. My area, Alumni and Development is a positive and collaborative work environment.
I was a contractor for SAIT and came recommended, therefore an interview was not really required. I did a specific task for six months and then was not renewed. Overall I was able to perform my duties with minimal supervision and enough trust and respect to feel very productive.
Pros
Great work/life balance, working from home.
Cons
Management seemed to change, a backlog of work made things a bit stressful
SAIT is a very practical school that offers a lot of instructor support. Although supportive in my career, could maybe have a better transition from collage to career.
Very busy workplace, multitasking an asset, most enjoyable times was interaction with students and instructors. Gained a lot of knowledge on the workings of a post secondary institution.
Very enjoyable place to work I would really recomend it. The culture of the work place is very relaxed and friendly. I really enjoyed working there,
I was working with a small team which was separate from the rest of SAIT which made it different experience from elsewhere on campus. It would have been a dream to stay, but budget cuts sent me packing. I hope to find another team that works together so well in a healthy workplace environment.
admin duties, a great place to work. great management, great instructors, productivity is rewarded, great team building opportunities, students are amazing.
I loved working for the SAIT Calling Program. Each supervisor was incredibly accepting and nice. It helped expand my customer service skills and gave me the ability to talk to amazing alumni who love SAIT as well. The hardest part about the job was getting consistent donations from the alumni as not everyone can contribute. I loved working with everyone and having frequent group activities which helped motivate us for the calling shift.
Nice place to study and work.People in here very nice and friendly. Nice lab in overall! However, old instrument using but still go to use . Good place for studying as it will give you many experiences before graduating
Great institution with amazing staff. Everyone is very helpful and willing to work together to help students succeed. Access To support and supplies.
just there. unionize Educative you will meet different people work time is flexible lots of holidays and flex days food on campus is expensive things can be slow.. lots of bureaucracy
it was a good experience i learned a lot of commissioning skills as i was under very well known operators in the province. the experience i got moved me up for sure
The Centre for Innovation and Research in Unmanned Systems is a great place to work, especially for practicing remote sensing applications, processing aerial images, etc
Collaborative work environment with work life balance, benefits and pension. Salary however is not at pace with the market due government salary freeze.