Southbridge Care Homes
Happiness score is 22 out of 100

Southbridge Care Homes Employee Reviews

Canada15 reviews

For Profit LTC

I worked as a PSW. I enjoyed the residents as well as some awesome coworkers. Management were very kind and approachable. Unfortunately being a for profit ltc facility in a rural area there were some major staffing shortages that made it a very difficult place to provide the level of care that residents deserve.

Please do not work here

This is not a good place to work and grow your skills if that you are seeking for. The other staffs are rarely supporting you and working as a team. They will ignore your struggles. We always work under too much pressure and intense stressful environment. For example, if your tables need a first choice of the menu, the other staff will try to take all for their tables first, the kitchen is always lack of food. And interesting things are staff eating the residents’ food behind their back, then told them their choice was ran out.The manager will not listen, they also print out your email with your name so the other staff can read.Don’t trust what they promise you. I don’t think this is a good place to work and to put your members in.

Insights into Southbridge Care Homes

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Support from manager
  • General feeling of work happiness

Huge Disappointment

This is by far the worst organization I have ever worked for. I wish I had done more research on Southbridge prior to accepting the position. You are provided with zero support from management. If you want to work for a company that values it’s employees and follows basic HR principles, do not work here. If you value work life balance, do not work here. The CEO will randomly call you out of the blue, after hours. Very unprofessional management. If you want to work somewhere where your input and opinion matters, do not work here. They tell you benefits start immediately but then when you inquire months after you have started why you haven’t received your benefits you are told that the homes are busy and in outbreak. There is no HR department so essentially upper management do as they please and continuously talk down to people. It’s a for profit company and they clearly do not care about their homes and their employees. They are concerned with profit and acquisition of homes. I didn’t realize Southbridge owned the LTC homes that had the government brought in the military during Covid due to the conditions in the homes. If I could give this company zero stars I would.

Horrible and Unprofessional Workplace

They recently let me go for nothing I did wrong reallly. They lied to my face by telling me I had time to change; they said 2 weeks, but only gave me 5 days. Didn't prepare you for non trained tasks. Expected you to know everything. They dont communicate or tell you anything. My manager was the worst one I've ever worked for. They said we couldn't take food even tho everyone else was taking it and allowed. Noone talks to you, you just get written up.

Pros

Literally None

Cons

No benifits, dont get paid to be in union even tho you are? Report you for everything

I am a dietary aide at Parkview Manor in Chesley and I love it. The management team goes above an beyond to make sure all the staff are well treated and respected. The residents are very sweet and fun. Would recommend this home to all of my friends looking for work.

Pros

Free Food

Great Place to work

Small home with a good vibe. I love working here and hope to work here until I retire. The management team is very easy to work with and flexible with the staff

Pros

Small home

Cons

Not enough hours in the work day

Pros

Management and team members

Cons

Salary

Productive place to work in

The management and the staff are excellent in this home. They have agency staff working with residents, but they are very kind and polite with the residents. The home works as a well lubricated machine. Couldn't have got into a better place to work. It is sad to see so many negative comments about this home, but I can assure you until you have been in here working with the staff and residents, you wouldn't know how good they are. the management staff are always there to help and support us. The DOC , Resident service manager and the Programs manager are always up on the floor helping out where needed. I have never had any other home that I worked in where the management team is this helpful. I feel so proud to call my work home .

Pros

Excellent management team

Cons

Salary

Supportive and Encouraging Environment

Applied and received an interview within a couple days. Interview was over the phone due to COVID but DOC knew what she needed and asked some challenging questions. Co-workers are supportive and the residents well cared for. Love it so far

Pros

Supportive Management

Cons

Can be stressful at times

I really enjoy working here!

I found Southbridge very welcoming and I'm impressed with their streamlined processes and willingness for change to make improvements. I really enjoy working here!

Dissapointing workplace-Kemptville

-Nurses that have been there for 20 years plus treated the PSW's poorly, acting like they were better than everyone else telling them how to do their job. Had a little friendzi circle with the care coordinator/superviser so every complaint was brushed off and not dealt with in a serious professional manner. -Poor management, every complaint was not taken seriously. A complaint against another co-worker was brushed off and managers made excuses for their actions/behaviours. The managers and their friendzi group would gossip behind your back and share unnecessary info to the health care team. The care coordinator also booked you for shifts you didn't agree with and not even tell you, you had to find out by other people.

Pros

Paid PSW's a good starting wage

Cons

Toxic work environment, treated poorly, management don't do their job professionally

Don't even bother working in the kitchen either as a Dietary Aide or a Cook!

Possibly the worst kitchen I have worked in, in my entire life. Toxic, gossipy co-workers that do not support you and will do anything to step on you for hours. The work is overencumbering, expectations are unrealistic and in that time you are incharge of many things which you have to juggle whilst dealing with bad management and toxic co-workers. No breaks to be expected, taking one would often mean you're behind whilst the other staff just watch you struggle and the director comes in nitpicking on whatever you do. My advice as an experienced chef is stay away from this horrid place.

Pros

Going home after work.

Cons

Horrible co-workers, incompetent management and laughable work expectations.

Run away as fast as you can!

Unsupportive toxic environment. ED is beyond a micro manager. Unrealistic work expectations, abusive environment. Untrained staff, all about profit, not residents care. Witnesses so much neglect. More trained staff is needed! Management needs to learn how to treat and speak with staff. Walking around making demands is not supportive when always short staffed or trying to take care of residents. Higher better qualified staff and more staff! Upper management challenges every year, even upper management is running away. If you want change, look at the ED, and focus on resident care, not profits.

Pros

Nice area of the city

Cons

Long hours unfair wage abusive power hungry micro managment unrealistic work expectations.

Typical day

Assist res with activities of daily livingTime management Team building Watching deathPolitics Working with no staffManagement does not support employees

Huge disappointment

Southbridge came to our community acquiring a new home and since their acquisition everything has gone downhill tremendously. They are operated by extendicare assist (another horrible company). The folks with extendicare assist literally have no idea what they are doing but some how they are the MOH’s preferred vendor. Both southbridge and extendicare only care about profits, not the residents, staff or quality of care. This is the worst company in ltc private sector I have ever worked for. If you want to kill your passion for caring for seniors, these are the companies to work for! They prefer to hire non educated folks into leadership roles as it’s cheaper for them, which means your bosses have no idea how to do your job and can only tell you to go faster and work harder. Unlike other companies I have worked for, they don’t even care to understand their shortfalls- they just want to make money and spend as little as possible.

Pros

Cons

The list is too long for this field

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Southbridge Care Homes. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.8 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement