South Country Co-op

South Country Co-op Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
Pay needs be higher , Need to hire within , some managers need better management skills to feel with there anger , over all good place to work ,,,,,
I have found a great group of people who try to make every customer feel at home. Customer service is very important and the management is easy to talk to.
South Country Co-op invests heavily in their team members. They offer in house training and a lot of advancement opportunities not just within South Country Co-op but also with the entire Co-op system. They have flexible working hours, solid pension and benefits and a positive work environment. Their commitment to health and safety is second to none. I would recommend South Country Co-op to anyone.
Like most Co-operatives they operate within a strong team environment. They are successful within this model and only waiver when dealing with rural and urban misconceptions. Leadership is learning and developing as they grow and the promise of a strong future is in site. Overall a very worthwhile company to work for.
This company could care less about their bottom line, I was treated poorly by staff and upper management.
It is difficult to get any paid holidays or sick days. Except to work terrible hours with this employer.
Pros
Slim to none
Petty, power triping, and a hypocrite. The manager there should never have been hired. Once she started almost everyone who worked for the previous manager quit. Even some of the new hires quit right away.
If you're above the age of 40, you'll do great here. Anything under and you'll be treated like s**t constantly for absolutely nothing. We all do the same amount of work, yet if you're younger, you're treated like you do absolutely nothing. Double standards are the way of the coop. The managers are fine, it's the old ladies that make me want to kill myself every time I come into work to simply do my job.
The people I worked with were awesome, but past that it seems like you get gradually taken off working mornings and end up working all afternoons, which makes scheduling things outside of work hard and makes it kinda hard to maintain a good balance between life and work. The job itself is really easy though, which does help a bit since work itself isn’t that bad, just the hours. Definitely a good starting job.
My experience at south county co-op was outstanding, I had a great relationship with frequent customers and staff. As well as having a very understanding manager.
Pros
The people
Cons
Working so
Difficult to have a life around the hours but the people were good and the work was fairly simple
Most enjoyable was the people I worked with and the culture was good
Pros
It works
Cons
weird hours
When I started working here, the cliques within the business was pointed out immediately. There was favouritism shown, managers/supervisors with a “ more superior “ attitude . Don’t get me wrong, I loved working with the customers, but it only took me 3 weeks before I started strongly disliking this job. Co workers ridiculed other co workers, public humiliation seemed to be the only thing people knew around here. Co workers and managers were extremely unhelpful. I would not recommend tis place, there is a reason why you see new employees at the front desk atleast every 4 weeks, it’s because employees keep resigning.
Pros
Get the hours you need
good job for the right person, i found it very stressfull due to a lack of required information and the discrepancies between american and metric measuring scales
easy to get along with others and starting pay depending on your department can be great. very fast paste so not for everyone unless your able to do a lot of cleaning and enjoy making food
They pay is what you'd expect from a job at a gas bar. And although people have a tendency to come and go due to many of the employees being high school students, it was always a good environment to work in and the boss did their best to keep everyone happy and productive.
The people are good, and has the potential to create a good staff, however the management is very poor.
Note, that this is some select managers, not all of them. This review can only comment on the CO-OP Liquor Stores.

The CO-OP will shift their managers around the stores, and this can be very disruptive. Most importantly the company does not check up on the managers. This lets the managers get away with behaviors that most companies would not allow.

The managers can be abusive to the staff. Some often don't understand the job, and push off the work onto the supervisors.

The overall work is good. If you get a good manager, then the job will go smoothly. It can be a fun job, and the staff due to the small size becomes very friendly.
Great management, great team, excellent work environment and employer ethics and very caring about employees. Flexible hours and shifts.
Pros
Excellent management
Cons
Pay