Sony Pictures Entertainment

Sony Pictures Entertainment Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Vancouver, BC7 reviews

I loved my time at Imageworks!!

Sony Imageworks continues to be one of my favorite studios and best employment experiences thus far. They are dedicated to culture and employee satisfaction on a level I have not experienced elsewhere. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there and would recommend it to other colleagues in the industry looking for visual effects or animation work, at a great studio.

Pros

State of the art facilities, Comfortable work environment with many amenities, Dinner typically provided during crunch/OT, Great coworkers, Lots of team & culture building exercises, and holiday events & parties, Employee recognition and appreciation, Competitive salaries & benefits packages.

Cons

None come to mind

Great Internship

Sony pictures was a great starting block for me as I learned more about the workplace. I didn't do as much hands on animating as I would have liked, since I was just an intern there , and now I have branched of into programming. But It was still a gift for the ability to work in a recognized name in digital media, in any case.

Insights into Sony Pictures Entertainment

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Sense of belonging
  • Overall satisfaction
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

Good work life balance and good benefits

In this position I worked closely with various departments in the company. There is a wealth of training materials for individuals to move on to other paths in the VFX industry. Good work life balance and benefits.

Great

Lots of talented people work at Sony. There are lots of events and food put out for employees. The support you get at Sony is extremely on point and fast.

Great atmosphere and amazing environment.

They care about their employee's well being. They have very friendly staff and staff dedicated to making sure the work place is nice and manageable. The environment is filled with many great artists who are willing to help you improve.

Pros

free snacks, fruits, coffee and tea. Friday breakfast.

Wears Multiple Hats

A typical day involved overseeing the day to day operations of the studio, including troubleshooting issues that could hinder production schedules, short and long term planning, interacting with external vendors and other departments at Sony. I was responsible for implementing and rolling out new projects in such areas as large scale build outs, security, health and safety, green initiatives, studio ramp up and down (headcount could fluctuate plus or minus 100 employees within a month). I was also heavily involved in planning and hosting studio events. Internally there would be 2 company events a month, and larger external events would take place on site a few times a year. Although I supported over 750 people at the studio, my team consisted of 6 direct reports. I partnered with other departments at Sony to ensure we operated according to company policy and procedures. In terms of facility management, I oversaw the operation of 3 buildings, with over 80k square feet. I worked closely with the building engineers to troubleshoot mechanical issues, and, if needed, facilitated bringing in outside vendors to address the issue. I was responsible for managing the facility operating budget, and oversaw all studio accounts (excluding production accounts). No day was ever the same, which made the position interesting and challenging!

Pros

Always learning something new

Cons

The Hotel Transylvania project should make its mark in the animation industry

Hotel Transylvania was a rushed project, but we made it! Most of the animation was done in Vancouver, Canada. It is a good, fun, and young city to work in, albeit's winters are cold and wet. The summers are said to be fantastic!

Pros

stylistic animation

Cons

rushed

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sony Pictures Entertainment. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement