Sonoco Employee Reviews

Family Environment and Room for Advancement
Labourer/Operator (Current Employee) –  Frankford, ON2 September 2019
If you have a great work ethic than this company, its crews and the culture will work for you. Great training, overtime available and a good rapport between management and staff. Yes, you have to work hard and hard work has made the company successful and able to support its employees.
Official response from Sonoco
4 September 2019

Thank you for leaving your review! We love to hear from our teammates and about your experiences.

Disgustingly dirty / manipulative management
Packer - inspector - but mostly heavy lifting (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON10 June 2019
Run , don’t walk away.
The air quality is the worst.
The workers washroom , change room and lunchroom are disgustingly dirty and nobody seems to mind.
The office washroom and lunchroom.....clean.
The coworkers are mostly miserable. Everyone talks dirt about everyone. The money is just ok.
You’ll work a 10 hour shift with only a 30 minute break. Your coworkers with seniority will treat you like dirt - yell and swear at you without any real issue from the managers. The workplace is way too small for the work that’s being done so you’ll constantly be moving stock from place to place all day long. Getting in each other’s way and blocking others work causes animosity and arguments daily between the workers. I only worked there for a short time but I could see the misery and frustration in the other workers eyes. It’s a sad , sad place to be.
If you like working in a dusty dirty dungeon you’ll love this place.
With so many jobs out there for the same money - save your time - your lungs and your long term health and just keep looking.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
You have to be in the dust and dirt for 4 days.
Paper Mill
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON27 January 2019
12 hour continental shifts.
workplace environment is great.
hardest part of the job is working night shifts.
great benefits and job security.
great place to work
Pros
every other weekend off
smell
an adventure
Millwright (Former Employee) –  Trenton, ON26 November 2018
if they dont have a rule for something they will make one up

dictatorship........micro managers..the one in charge takes direction from south Carolina directly...cannot make a decisions on his own
Environnement de travail
Trois-rivières - Entretien (Former Employee) –  Trois-Rivières, QC22 October 2018
J’étais sur la maintenance des machines.
Je n'avais pas d'horaire fixe, mais une restriction, faire mes taches dans un délai de 3 jours. Donc, je ne vivais pas de stress ce qui était agréable.

Quand mes trois coordonnateurs ce mettais en accord sur mon travail, tout allais bien
Pros
super avantage sociaux
Cons
trop de coordonnateur
Good Place to work.
Shipping/Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON17 May 2018
I learned to value my work at Sonoco as much as I value my relationship with my co-workers because we work there as a team.

I find it challenging sometimes in hitting our daily targets but thanks to our undrestanding management we're able to achieve it.

I love working at Sonoco because we are like a family there.
Official response from Sonoco
25 May 2018

Thank you for your review! We are company that thrives on teamwork and believe in providing a safe, caring and fulfilling work environment - so we're thrilled to hear your experience mirrors our core beliefs. If you'd like to tell us more about your experience, please email us at connect@sonoco.com

Progressive place to work which valued employees
Manager, Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON21 March 2018
I worked for a dynamic and motivated leader who was genuinely interested in fostering a culture of accountability and 'win-win' relative to employee relations.
Pros
work-life balance
It was just ok
Network Systems Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON27 February 2018
The culture at the time was interesting, very rigid, not accustom to change or new ideas. Pay was ok at the time, my personal commute was terrible, the main reason I left.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Everything Else
Lots of money, poor management
Labourer/Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON17 December 2017
They pay ludicrously well, but expect you to live for work. Supervisors will hold it against you if you can't cover a 12 hour shift at a moments notice.
Pros
Lots of money
Cons
Treated poorly
tres valorisant
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Baie-Comeau, QC15 April 2017
Très sécuritaire motivant et un grand plaisir de m'être son expérience à l'œuvre dans l'exercice du management dans cette culture et cette structure
Pros
T'es belle structure
Cons
Je ne peux rien mentionné rien de négatif
Excellent company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sault Ste. Marie, ON20 February 2017
Great company to work for. Advancement available if you are willing to relocate. In house training and education for those wanting to move up.
Pros
Salary and environment
Cons
Can work long hours at times
Loved working here, was a long time employee for approx. 16 years
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 February 2017
Worked for Sonoco after an acquisition of another leading company. Enjoyed my time there. It was hard work, but very rewarding, and if you worked hard you received recognition for it. If there was a location closer to where I live I would consider working there again.
Pros
Busy, the days went fast; formed great relationships with coworkers, Learned quite a bit about the industry!
Cons
Can't think of any at the moment
Very professional and progressive
Northern Region Graphic Sales, Mississauga (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 January 2017
I enjoy working with all of my associates. Management is very supportive of any additional training required. They are also open to discuss any progressive ideas and will suggest any further contacts to reach out to to help support your ideas.
What I enjoyed the most is being trusted to work independently to achieve a satisfied customer and a further return on business.
nice teammates
Quality Control Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON8 September 2016
good time I learn a lot
sometime we had more fun
while doing work
its really like a family
safety is first priority
health & safety award winner
Good Work Life Balance
Procurement Analyst (Current Employee) –  Hartsville, SC6 July 2016
Good Work Life Balance
Lean Structure
Hartsville is a small town so not much to do
Good and Supportive co-workers
Flexible work culture but depends upon your manager
toujours axer sur la securiter
Responsable d'atelier et de l'entrepôt (Former Employee) –  gatineau, QC4 December 2015
chef d equipe en charge de la prise de commande et production et livraison ,reparation des machines si possible,livraison avec camoin 10 roue recevoir commande de different client et gerer la production et les commandes de differente sorte de core et different embout. sur apelle le soir pour rush. pour ne pas arreter les machine a papier.nous etions producteur de core en carton pour l indusdrie du papier journal et autre. j ai beaucoup aimer travail, tres motivant,compagnie tres securitaire,tres grosse experience comme chef d equipe.
Pros
partage des profits
Cons
aucun
evaluation de mon travail.chez sonoco
mecanicien industriel (Former Employee) –  Terrebonne, QC27 January 2015
c'est une bonne entreprise avec beaucoup de procédure relié à la sécurité . je commençait à 7 heure , faire une ronde allez après réparer les machines défectueuses selon les ordres de mon superviseur aussi je recevais des directives pour faire des projets ,modifications , de la machinerie aussi beaucoup d'installation de nouvel machinerie example ... un gros "oxidiser" (c'est mon deuxième que je participe à installer) mais priorisait toujours les réparation qui ont but pour la production,
j'aurais beaucoup aimer travailler à cet usine je commençais à m'y habituer je suis une personne qui aime la stabilité et c'est pour cela que je cherche quelque chose avec une grosse entreprise tel que mondelez
Pros
je fesait beaucoup d'heure ... donc beaucoup de salaire
Cons
les syndiqués qui épiait tout mes fait et jeste
Productive and team atmosphere
Health Safety and Environment Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Brampton and surounding area27 August 2014
The workplace is creative, innovative. Where managers value your input.
Sonoco is a good company to work for
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON17 April 2014
Very health and safety oriented.
Management involved with the employees
Co-workers work hard
Pros
Good employees
Cons
Closed down and moved to the US
I work at a small plant for a large corporation
MAINTENANCE PLANNER / PURCHSER (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 January 2014
Learned a lot about packaging machinery, maintenance in general, and coordination and documentation of all related activities.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sonoco. Our community is ready to answer.