Somerville Merchandising Inc Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 January 2019
A unique place to work encompassing everything from design to manufacturing to delivery. Every day brings new items and challenges - so if you like fast-paced work with lots of variety, this is the place to be. You have a chance to get involved in lots of things if you are truly interested.

People say it's like a family here - we all care for each other in so many ways - that's a big plus!
Pros
Lots of variety in manufacturing, great people
Cons
Super fast pace at times!
Productive, enjoyable work environment
Material Handler/Factory (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 January 2019
I did my co-op education at Somerville Merchandising Inc, I gained valuable work experience from this company and the staff where very knowledgeable and helpful, over all this was a great place to work.
Family
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 November 2017
Working in a 'Family' environment is never easy. They hire people with experience and knowledge, and then ignore their ideas. They want people who are just 'yes boss' people. They don't want to hear people's ideas.
Very little support of encouragement.
Pros
Independent work
Cons
Poor leaadership
Extremely cheap and bad management company
anonymous (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON3 August 2016
Extremely cheap boss and the company lacks of management skills.
All workers are under paid. Salary are all lower than the average. They give you a $0.30 cents raise each year. Also, they have lots of outstanding bills unpaid. They outsource some jobs and refuses to pay the full amount afterwards. No AC for the workers on the floor. Staffs are friendly, but most of them are not as knowledgable as they should be for their position. They do not appreciate your hard work. Should have trusted the rumours out there about this company. Will NOT recommend anyone to work there.
Productive place to learn from experienced team mates and workaholic atmosphere.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 May 2016
A typical day started with me managing inventory for OLG and using visual CRM software to make work orders,I helped in re positioning of inventory and restructuring of the warehouse.

Though inventory was never my forte but since i joined as an intern after project management and logistics is a part of it,I learned a lot about how work orders are processed,about office atmosphere in Canada and working in teams.My strong communication skills and pleasant demeanor helped me to gain appreciation from my colleagues.
Pros
Saturday off
Cons
long hours, family owned business, over exhausting employees specially at warehouse office.
Great Job with Great People
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 June 2014
-Typical day at work would be attendance, filing, printing, copying, mailing, imputing invoices into the system, and training co-op students on new jobs daily. Assisting others in the office as well as reporting to the HR Manager.
- I have learned how to create documents on Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, and used Microsoft Office daily. I learned how to manage my time each day so that I can get the most out of it. I have learned so much about this company and how to use their system to enter customer orders and sales invoices. I also learned a lot about products and shipping.
- Management was always ahead and planned out everything in a very professional manner.
- Hardest part was trying to not over-work myself. There was always so much to do around the office, and I always wanted to be the one to get it done.
- The most enjoyable time was when I had to get the guests to sign in and they would have conversations with me about their day. A lot of the clients were regulars who we did business with so I knew them personally when they came in. It was amazing Creating friendships with all of the employees. Also, pay stubs had to be handed personally to the employees. I was the one who got to give the employees in the office, plant, and warehouse their pay stubs and it was great getting to know them. They all taught me so much about life.
Pros
Training Co-op students