SolarCity Employee Reviews

SolarCity Culture
Accounting Manager (Current Employee) –  San Mateo, CA21 April 2018
Typical tech company work environment where the employees and the company shared the same goal. The old SolarCity has been integrated into Tesla where the same goal continues to this date.
Great for starters in the sales department
FIELD ENERGY CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Santa Ana, CA19 April 2018
Its a fast phase sales work which I dont mind. I went from w2 to 1099 and that did not help because it takes time to close a project. However, the training environment is excellent.
High paced job
Sr. Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  Granite Bay, CA19 April 2018
High Paced Job. Lot's of hours. plenty of opportunity. Solar City is a job that requires one to work many hours in order to get paid a good salary. I believe that's a given with any sales job.
Great people to work with, fun environment
INTERCONNECTION SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV19 April 2018
sitting all day, but the people are great and the culture is diverse. There's room for increased knowledge. Hardest part was the quality, you need to do well or you can get your compensation deducted. I didn't hate going to work.
Pros
Parties, Perks, Friendly Co-workers, Healthcare
Cons
Required to take lunch, sitting all day
Meat grinder
Field Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CA17 April 2018
SolarCity was a meat grinder. By the time I left there, their financial picture was so bleak that they had to find excuses to let go of over 100 sales representatives like myself just before Christmas of 2016. Prior to that, the management style always seemed to be, "Let's throw this up against the wall this month and see what sticks."
Great place to get experience
INTERCONNECTION TEAM LEAD (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CA16 April 2018
Like a lot of environmental companies, you don't get paid a lot and you work hard. But, once you prove that you know what you're doing, they'll give you free reign to do your job and still have a "start up" feel.
Pros
Great cafe, soccer at lunch, relaxed atmosphere.
Cons
Not great pay, sometimes have departments working against one another
Daily Grind
Commercial TEAM Lead (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CA13 April 2018
Solar is an industry that is ever changing..... there is no space to rest and relax on your laurels..... SolarCity/Tesla clearly demonstrates this - Every day though is very exciting and rarely a "repeat the motions" kind of day.
Very nice environment, great team
Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Stockton, CA11 April 2018
I had a great experience at solar city. My manager and team were very hands on and were there for each and every one of us, if we needed assiatance with anything our supervisior would help us directly..
Pros
Paid mileage
Cons
Great benefits
Fast paced environment
Inside Sales Manager - SMB Commercial (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CA11 April 2018
SolarCity was fast paced with some very intelligent people wrking there. As the company grew things slightly changed with management processes.

i was able to work closely with some of the executives to learn and help provide feedback on new sales process rollouts.
Great Experience
Jr SIte Surveyor (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NM11 April 2018
Everyone on the team was welcoming and able to teach me everything i needed to know. I was able to start and run with everything being showed. Everyone is supportive and great to be around it is a great atmosphere.

Want to know more about SolarCity?

Ask a question
Stressful and demeaning environment to work in
Field Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CA10 April 2018
Most of the time after my training. I learned hardly anything about the product so I had to learn what I could from coworkers. Manager never gave me proper help or training and left me by myself in stores with nothing to work with. He would also make me work when extremely sick and throwing up all throughout my shift, almost falling unconscious during work. He would also invade my personal life and try and make me feel like I was less than him given his status as manager.
Good people
System Performance Team Analyst (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NV7 April 2018
Good place to work. Good schedule. Call center environment. Great managers!!! Good pay. Room for advancement. No pressure. Just answer calls and give good technical support.
Pros
Fun easygoing
They dont care about you
Roof Lead Installer (Former Employee) –  Foster City, CA6 April 2018
Just learn and get out they dont care about you. Its hard to get a promotions because they have color preferences and because your not white skin they dont give you a raise f... em
Pros
Racist
Cons
Ot
16 hours in the car a day
Energy Consultant (Former Employee) –  Norristown, PA5 April 2018
If your idea of a great job is spending 16 hours in cars and others homes with non qualified leads then this is the job for you. If you close the lead you don't get paid on it until its installed... typically 4-6 months so be prepared to live on your miniscule salary.
Startup Atmosphere
Documentation Coordinator (Former Employee) –  San Mateo, CA3 April 2018
I was very lucky having good managers at the SolarCity that helped me with advancement and building skills and leadership. It seemed that we had a startup atmosphere the whole time I had worked though although the company. The culture was very young, but I would say that the most enjoyable part of the job was getting to work with the people I worked with in my department.
Pros
People
Cons
Salary
SolarCity
Inside Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CA3 April 2018
It was a good place to work at in the beginning. Very fun culture because it was new and the office had a lot of amenities for the employees to enjoy. Over time those were removed and it became very stressful as numbers became more important by the minute. Leadership had high turnover along with high employee turnover. Unfortunately SolarCity is no longer around but it seemed to be a short term job after watching so many changes over the period I worked there.
Pros
Life long friendships built
Cons
Stressful and backstabbing at times
Productive and high energy work place with very little job security
PV Design Engineer II (Former Employee) –  California2 April 2018
Solarcity Corporation (now Tesla Inc) is an amazing place to work, learn and make a living. The workforce is comprised of diverse multi ethnic teams and people from all walks of life. Average age of the engineering team is in the mid twenties, so if you're a fresh graduate or a junior professional the work place is very enjoyable.

The work culture is quite competitive which keeps the teams on high alert. However, the competition is never to the detriment of the employees and the team.

Unfortunately, there is no job security and you and your team can get laid off without a moment of notice. During the down periods, the work can get a little frustrating as there aren't enough projects and you have to work during odd hours. The management doesn't reward individual accomplishments and tries to hide information till the very last moment.

Tl;dr: Great place for fresh graduates and junior professionals to gain some experience but not a place where you can make your career as there is no job security.
Pros
Flexible work hours, Bonus Structure, ability to learn.
Cons
No Job Security, Rigid hierarchy, Unstable business
It was a good job.
Field Energy Specialist / Representative (Former Employee) –  California31 March 2018
To keep it short, the company was awesome and encouraging. My teammates were always encouraging and supportive. It was the type of job where you were left unsupervised and in charge of your own progress. You had goals but there was really no pressure and the goals were more than attainable. The job had its moments were if you didn't have the esteem, it could were you down. You have to believe in yourself to really be able to make it or really be good at sales. It was a fun experience and you're able to make a good amount of money.
Sales force was better equipped than management.
Field Energy Specialist (Former Employee) –  Seaford, DE31 March 2018
Management was placed entirely to fast and most had only sales experience.Product was very good but it is a seasonal product and management was not understanding of this. Last thing folks are thinking in the dead of winter is the sunny days to produce electric.
Productive and exciting work place environment
Crew lead (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA29 March 2018
Company provides various types of training to aid advanced opportunities and promotions within. Great opportunities in the field to learn skills like electrical, building codes requirements, team building skills, crew management.
Pros
Great for entry level positions and competitive pay scale

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SolarCity. Our community is ready to answer.