SoftMoc Employee Reviews

My manager made a mistake, and scapegoated me.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 August 2018
As Assist. Manager, part of my duties were to deposit money at the bank. During one of these transaction, one of the carbon copies was missing from the secure envelope. I had returned to the store, and reported it to my manager, who refused to acknowledge what I was saying, as she was the one who filled the deposit the night before. She refused to acknowledge that one of the carbon copies was missing, and ordered me to sign off on the deposit.

One week later, she gets a called from district, and ends up running back and forth from the store and the bank, because of the missing carbon copy from the deposit. After she had finished sorting it all out, she told me I could leave early, and escorted me out of the store. At this point she had told me I was being fired. When I asked her why, she said she had no obligation to tell me the reason as I was still under probation.
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cookstown, ON25 July 2018
hardest part of the job was the rude customers. it was a fun working environment with friendly team mates. It was easy to learn the cash. Another tricky part I found was trying to find all the stock
Horrible management
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON24 July 2018
Not accommodating at all for hours, minimum wage, and no benefits. Not accommodating or understanding at all for single parents struggling to make ends meet
Enjoyable work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON23 June 2018
I loved working at Softmoc. It was only a short period of time but I would go back in a heart beat. Everything is organized properly and easy to find and the product is worth every penny. The assistant manager at the time did not like me for what ever reason and made working there very difficult.
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
Unprofessional assistant manager
Always a joy
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS22 June 2018
Typical work day was fairly busy, especially in the summer. Made lots of commission and great friends while working here.
I learned how to open a store and close along with cash balancing, and transactions.
Workplace culture was relatively diverse. We had people from different cultures and different age groups, and sex/genders.
The hardest part of the job is organization, as SoftMoc has many products sold.
The most enjoyable part of the day is seeing how happy and satisfied a customer is leaving the store with new shoes.
Pros
Easy-going staff, commission, flexible schedules
Cons
On your feet all day, lots of running around
Productive and Fun
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 June 2018
Overall amazing place to work at, coworkers are friendly and willing help when in need. Simple job, help and satisfy customers, keep store tidy and clean.
Don’t even bother applying here
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 June 2018
Start pay is $8, 2% commission. They bump you to minimum wage if you don’t make commission. Shift leaders start pay is 9$, AMR is $11. The only way you make some money is onlines which range from $0.20 to $3 depending on which shoes customers are ordering.
Management and head office are all horrible. Nobody answers you when you have a important question. Managers only care about the “bonuses” they get based on ratings, emails, phone numbers, shoe care and number of onlines being done. They get so desperate they usually do their own ratings so they get the bonuses. If employees don’t take phone numbers or email you will get written up even though customers refuse it.
Hours are horrible, as long as your assistant manager or manager you will get 80 hours. Etc. associate was hired as a shift lead but never got shifts in 3-4 months and when times got desperate they randomly got a shift.
Point of Sale system and computers are always breaking down. Tons of drop sales and mistakes.
Interviews are a joke, based on personality. Therefore, you’ll get hired right away.
Pros
Brands, defect any shoes just as long as it’s in stock, hire anyone
Cons
Wage, 40% of original price
fun atmosphere, chill workers
Sales Associate, Wearhouse (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON29 May 2018
over all great experience in customer service, amazing staff and management, super easy to make friends, busy busy in summer months and christmas time- you make the most money in these times, as its not the best pay due to you making commission.

great perks come with the job

40% off shoes for your self
20% off for friends and family

perks very year to year - while I worked there we received
- 60% off Columbia Sport wear online
- 60% off Sorel online
- Blunstones for $100.00
+ others i cant remember
Pros
Paid 30 min break, great staff
Cons
slow day, can get overwhelming when super busy, not the best customers shop at dixie mall
Payscale is a scam! This company doesn’t care about its employees especially managers.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON10 May 2018
Absolutely the worst company I have ever come across anywhere in retail. I don’t even know how they are allowed to get away with their pay scale. As an assistant manager I make 11.15 + commission!!! If your commission does not equal what it would have been at $14/hour then they adjust your wage so you make minimum wage. Meaning if you work a holiday you are actually getting time and a half at $11.15 NOT $14 like everyone else. How they are allowed to do this is beyond me.
Managers have to be in the back almost every day because softmoc absolutely will not stop sending stock way faster than we are selling it. The BACKROOM IS A DEATH TRAP and it seems to be like that at most stores. Head office and the regional manager visit often and don’t ever seem to think it’s an issue. Someone is going to get badly hurt. They send way to much stock that! You can’t even get to the washroom or the emergency exit without having to lift stock boxes out of your way.
Pros
Paid breaks
Cons
Expect way to much for what they are paying, have no respect for there employees, long hours, stock nightmare
bad
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 April 2018
softmoc is the most unprofessional place I've worked, the pay horrible. You do not paid enough to do so much. There is such minimal training. There was a lot of favouritism which affected the hours that were given out.
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
long hours, bad management, unprofessional, unsafe work environment, BAD pay
Not as good as they lead me to believe
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Canada14 April 2018
The pay was not as good as I was lead to believe and never got a raise until
I gave notice and the regional manager said they could give me raise if I would stay. No thanks, working 100+ hrs a pay period isn’t worth the small raise. The workload is huge and you get minimal hours to get it done (no time off the sales floor for admin or shipping-receiving tasks so personal sales per hour is really low) rarely got breaks because there's no hours for coverage (even though they say breaks are paid..yeah because we usually work through them). I worked for my great staff and friends, certainly not the company.
Pros
casual dress code
Cons
Long hours, minimal training, short notice for merchandise changes, Have to buy footwear often as it needs to be current product, minimal support from upper management
Lies about pay
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 April 2018
Was told I was going to get a certain amount of pay only to get less. When manager said dm was going to rectify this- it didn’t happen. Dm said the lesser amount was my wage. How is anyone supposed to survive on barely min wage?! As assistant manager I thought my wage was going to be higher than a part time associate that only works twice a week.
The company promises raises but only if your numbers coincide with what they want. ( getting customer phone numbers, emails and customer reviews).
Ridiculous that a company can pay almost nothing and get away with it. Also at full time don’t expect 30 hrs a week. I was lucky to get 20 most weeks.
Company demands too much but doesn’t deliver on their end.
Pros
Discount on shoes, most staff was good
Cons
Unsafe work environment, base + commission pay scale a scam
Reliable steady work
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB10 April 2018
SoftMoc has steady reliable work but the pay isn't great, the commission helps though. Management was very helpful and understanding to any problems that may have arose.
An okay environment
Crew (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON10 April 2018
The people were nice to work with but the managers were harsh and impatient. The ladders in the back were off balance and often made me nervous. However, it was a decent place to work and a fairly easy job.
Good Time
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Langley, BC9 April 2018
I enjoyed working here you guys should totally work there and the over all pople you should totally apply and that it will look great on a resume and i lvoed it
Bad management and staff
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON9 April 2018
nobody was there to have fun very serious environment and not a lot of work got done at the end of the day. and a lot of fighting between staff. Overall not a good place to work, not alot of hours either
Caution
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB19 March 2018
The manager at the time was selling drugs out of the store, she would manipulate the schedule to make it loos as of she was working days that she wasn't and she would smoke weed in the stockroom.
Do not work here! This is a scam!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2018
your commission is nothing because you only get it in the holidays! just because you said your available this time doesnt mean your gonna be scheduled on those days because they schedule you on the days you're not available. your maximum commission is 2% your wage is illegal = $11 and base wage is only 7.50 x commision but its a scam! McDonalds people make twice the salary you get here! dont ever think that every retail you work will get you rich money because you'll be better off working in a restaurant with loads of cash!
Pros
Discounts
Cons
this is a scam retail job!
Productive and fun atmosphere
Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON15 March 2018
It’s very good. Excellent workers and flexible hours. Great training. I enjoy my time at SoftMoc, but would like to expand and try something closer to my field.
Best Job I've ever had
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Vaughan, ON26 February 2018
This is definetly the best job ive ever had. The environment is very friendly and laid back. The commision however could be better but its still a very good job. Never stressed and the maagement is great. Well at least my manager is.
Pros
work life balance
Cons
low commission