SoftMoc Employee Reviews

Terrible Place to Work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON11 December 2018
Easily the most drama filled work place I have ever worked at, everybody gossips about each other as soon as one leaves the store- and most of the employees take hour long breaks even if it’s extremely busy on the floor. The pay is terrible, you get dragged in by the whole “you make commission here!” But little do they tell you that you only make $10.15 per hour as base pay. Your commission is supposedly supposed to boost you up to minimum wage. It’s overall a horrible place to work and there is no professionalism or organization, the store is a mess.
Pros
Discount on shoes, store manager was chill
Cons
The people and the environment, toxic place
Do your best not to stay at this warehouse long-term
General Warehouse Employee (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON10 November 2018
The warehouse grounds is disorganized, dirty, and overfilled with product. There is no air conditioning in the warehouse which makes it very difficult to work in the summer. Since there is no reward for good work performance, most employees are unmotivated to perform better which causes slackness and creates unrest between the better working employees. There is improper and unprofessional treatment from the boss to the employees and supervisors. Don't stay at this warehouse in hopes to be promoted to higher positions because it will not happen even if you had prior management experience. Even if you do get promoted, you are better off staying at the lowest level position, otherwise you will be constantly ridiculed or "reprimanded" by the boss.

The only thing good about this place is the steady work hours, the benefits and the location especially if you live in the Durham Region. Only work here if you need some quick money or something to hold you over until you get a better job or just completely avoid this warehouse altogether to save your sanity.
Pros
Stable schedule. Good location for people who live in the Durham Region.
Cons
Poor and unprofessional management. Toxic work environment
Worst place to work in all of Abbotsford, not even close to minimum wage pay for the workload and no room for advancement because of favouritism.
Part Time Retail Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford Bc8 November 2018
Manager did not feel the need to properly inform of hours and below minimum wage pay in interview, and hours are mostly given to assistant manager and manager leaving no room for anyone else to have decent hours. Definetely not a good learning experience, and also employees are very rude. Not a good place to work and as th esaying goes, overworked and severely underpaid. Unfortunately I wanted to like this company as a place to work, but the pay doesn’t match up with hours or the workload and sometimes manager and assistant are a bit rude to new employees, overall feels very clique oriented. Would not recommend sadly.
Pros
Literally none.
Cons
No breaks, under server wage pay, low pay for workload
Horrible place
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON22 October 2018
What a horrible place to work. Management? Well there is none the 2 degenerates that run the place should not! They are not management material they know absolutely nothing about running a warehouse of that capacity. They yell and scream, belittle all their staff and do not train accordingly. I would never recommend this place to anyway with a real brain.
The warehouse is so packed you can not even get around without tripping over something, you have to squeeze by skids upon skids just to move. This place is definitely a safty hazard with many staff hurting themselves on a regular basis. The ministry of labour needs to be called. Just today i twisted my ankle and not for the first time either this is a regular occurrence.
Cons
High paced, great place to learn customer service
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 October 2018
Needs better communication between management and sub-par training program, but overall a great place to learn customer service skills. Energetic atmosphere.
Pros
Flexible hours, paid lunch hours
Cons
poor communication between management
great work experience
Assistant Manager/Manager (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON2 October 2018
they dont tell you before but you must wear Softmoc shoes... price changes are challenging because practically all the prices change daily... big backroom that needs to be kept organized... love the Blundstones !
Pros
can wear Softmoc mocassins
Cons
need approval for employee discounts
Emploi d'apparence intéressante, mais sans plus en réalité.
Gérant de magasin (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC29 September 2018
Étant gérante de magasin, l'entreprise ne donne pas suffisamment de formation à ces gérant(es) de magasin.
-Le salaire de base n'est pas super, même avec la commission il faut faire bcp d'heures supplémentaire pour que ça soit rentable comparativement à d'autres emplois de gérant de magasin.
-Il faut faire plus de 3 fermetures par semaine ainsi qu'être présent à chaque vendredi et samedi sans exception.
-La charge de travail versus le salaire n'est pas proportionnel. Il faut traiter toutes les commandes en lignes, les commandes pour le magasin ainsi que les clients en boutique.
-Le point le plus difficile est que les supérieurs s'attendent à la perfection, malgré les facteurs de manque d'employés et disponibilités de ceux-ci. Donc, le gestionnaire prend sur ces épaules la pression inutile face à des choses qu'il n'a aucun pouvoir dessus.
-Peu de pause, seulement un 30 minutes payés pour un quart de travail de 8 heures, il n'accepte pas les 15 minutes. Selon eux, c'est du temps perdu.
-Les gérants de districts sont humains et font leur possible pour nous aider malgré la distance à laquelle ils se trouvent par rapport à notre magasin.
Pros
Rabais employés, possibilité d'avancement
Cons
Manque de formations, salaire, pauses, disponibilités
Cant believe I stayed this long.......
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Thornhill, ON28 September 2018
I have worked for many companies, this was by far the worst job I have ever had. once the manager quit everything went down hill from there. they expected me to take on all responsibilities of the manager, but not give me any raise or atlas make me acting manager, they did not appreciate anything that my self or any of the sales staff did. Management was Horrible, i still don't understand how a company like this gets away with everything! what I found interesting is how a Manager, Assistant Manager and Part time all made the same amount..... they claim we don't because of the commission rate, but no-one ever made commission in this location because traffic was so slow, and when we brought it up to our district and regional manager, we still did hear anything back from them.

lets talk policy shall we? ok so when you get harassed at work, and you put in a claim, you expect things to change right? NOPE WRONG SORRY they didn't care for any of their staff safety the only thing they cared about is their store.....
so a couple of us employees have decided to leave

Basically what I'm trying to say is, this company is poorly managed and you defiantly can not make a living off their salary. I can tell you one thing, you can not affording a car or rent under this salary.
Pros
Cons
Salary, Management, SHIPMENT Recalls
I loved working there
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 September 2018
It was my first job and I loved it there if I could work there again I would definitely work there. My co-workers were very nice and helpful and they would make me smile every day
Pros
Nice co-workers and managers
Cons
I got fired
Stressfull work environment
Store Manager/Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON19 September 2018
I loved working at softmoc for a while. Then I stupidly applied for a managers position and hate the job ever since. Basically there is unrealistic expectations. There is no support but then when you don't ask for it, they get upset because we should have.......

Just not the company for me anymore.
Pros
Managers Meeting
Cons
Everything Else
work as a volunteer with my mother being assistant manager
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 September 2018
everyone very nice in a welcoming way. we friends and employees. if you were a customer you would be able to see the friendliness between the co-workers.
Pros
got discounts off shoes
Cons
organizing shoe boxes in the back
Terrible
Employee (Former Employee) –  Medicine Hat, AB17 September 2018
The overall atmosphere of Softmoc is nice in theory but when you get in and behind the scenes that's when they show their true colours with slander, etc. Really slack environment with a manager who does the bare minimum and takes credit for other peoples work.
it;s okay
General Worker (Current Employee) –  Pickering, ON8 September 2018
Breaks are only 5 minutes, there is no organization, management is angry and they don't really train you.

Some positives are that they will give you amazing benefits if you work there for over a year and you can start full time.
Pros
easy work, they give you full time hours
Cons
lack of breaks, angry staff and managment, minimum wage
Place was run like an aweful high school
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON5 September 2018
Managment consisted on a moron that sat a computer all day...with no real world skills for his position. Any actual manging was done his less than protege that played favorites like no other
Hated my time there
Rotten coworkers were allowed to belittle others.
Pros
Don't work there now
Cons
Workers were allowed to harrass others. Extreme nepotism. Unqualified managment
Great place for a first job
Sales Associate/Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 September 2018
It's a great place to get a first job. The staff are friendly. The environment is fun. Great place to learn people skills and real world problems. And working at West Edmonton Malls make it bearable. They pay is not great. They made a very awful loop holes to keep up with minimum wage increase.
Amazing Staff and Customers
Retail Manager (Former Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC23 August 2018
The staff I worked with worked to keep every customer happy while maintaining company standards and proficiencies. Staff at head office are easy to speak with and come along side to help through issues and difficulties.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Very bad management
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 August 2018
The employees were very nice to work with, but working there was awful. They are not flexible with taking time off, no benefits if you are full time and they don't treat employees very kindly.
Even when I started as part time, they expected a lot from you and expect to devote your life to the company....it's pretty ridiculous. I do not recommend anyone to work for this company, unless they're desperate.
Pros
discount on shoes
Cons
management is horrible, terrible job/life balance
Good for temporary work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB15 August 2018
Low pay and commissions.
Yes you can make a higher wage if you sell more, but it is not realistic to do so with shoes.
If you don’t sell shoe care management will be on you to do so.
So if you’re not an enthusiastic and charismatic person I would not recommend working here.
Pros
Discount on shoes
Cons
Low pay for high expectations
My manager made a mistake, and scapegoated me.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 August 2018
As Assist. Manager, part of my duties were to deposit money at the bank. During one of these transaction, one of the carbon copies was missing from the secure envelope. I had returned to the store, and reported it to my manager, who refused to acknowledge what I was saying, as she was the one who filled the deposit the night before. She refused to acknowledge that one of the carbon copies was missing, and ordered me to sign off on the deposit.

One week later, she gets a called from district, and ends up running back and forth from the store and the bank, because of the missing carbon copy from the deposit. After she had finished sorting it all out, she told me I could leave early, and escorted me out of the store. At this point she had told me I was being fired. When I asked her why, she said she had no obligation to tell me the reason as I was still under probation.
fun workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cookstown, ON25 July 2018
hardest part of the job was the rude customers. it was a fun working environment with friendly team mates. It was easy to learn the cash. Another tricky part I found was trying to find all the stock

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SoftMoc. Our community is ready to answer.