SoftMoc

SoftMoc Employee Reviews

Canada283 reviews
Decent Environment No Life Outside Tho
Was an up and down company, they have in the last few years made some very good direction. At the time when worked there it was a very stressful work environment.
Pros
Good People (Most of them)
Cons
No Work Life Balance
Don’t work here
At first everything was good, then my shifts starting getting cut from five days a week to two, and they cut the commission rate at Christmas, not just for me for everyone. Then the drama started, constant back and forth between the assistant manager and another associate about who said what about the other online, the manager starting picking favourites, the whole thing just made me feel like I was back in high school. Finally, after I returned from vacation they stopped returning my texts, they didn’t even have the guts to tell me I’d been fired, or they were hoping I’d just give up so they could mark me down as quitting so wouldn’t have to pay me severance, either way who does that? Moral of the story, don’t work here, I wish I didn’t.
Here's a Tip: Just Don't Work Here! (Seriously, don't)
This company is run by a 1960's 'boys club'. Super egotistical and arrogant bunch of men. They have a tunnel vision mentality. Has one idea, runs with it into traffic without working out the kinks, and wonders why it didn't work out. Then when everything goes haywire, they're the first to lose it on you, and demean you for them not listening to your advice in the first place. A large percent of what goes wrong could have been avoided to begin with, if they were the type of employer who valued employee contributions of any means.
Blind leading the blind here.

I cannot express this enough....

Upper management does not care about you.

READ THAT AGAIN.

They only care about making money and pocketing it for themselves. Or you know...sending the money to Papa Krista in the Bahamas. (If you know, you know). Verbal, p & s abuse is a 'know of, but don't speak of' policy here. Upper management will either turn a blind eye to matters of safety of their workers in hopes it will magically disappear - OR - they completely demean their hard working staff. Your mental health will diminish here- fast. Oh, and don't worry if you're not the brightest in the bunch. Head office is located right smack dab on the border between Whitby & Oshawa...so be prepared to work with A LOT of uneducated, ignorant, trashy people*. (*An embarrassing percentage of these people are located in the Customer Service Dept. Sorry not sorry... it's truth).

Softmoc will employ anyone who's desperate enough to work for a consistent income & benefits. Don't expect to be paid a wage you can live on either.
 - more...
Great job when working with the right people.
Loved this job, when I was hired I had no experience and the manager at the time took me under her arm and taught me how to work in customer service. Forever grateful to her and I can proudly say that I excel in customer service because of her and had the numbers to show for it. Hardest part of the job is: if you're not a fan of feet, you have to suck it up and help the old folks with getting their shoes on (not the worst thing in the world, and most are extremely thankful). I loved the people I worked with, and they taught me a lot as a fresh 18 year old. About 5 years later they hired me again because upper management remembered my name and how much of a hard and dedicated worker I was and I was excited to work with them again, although with almost completely new staff, I still enjoyed my time there while I was working, and honestly just the people you work with can make a good job even better.
Pros
Good discounts, friendly staff
Cons
Angry customers, theft, sometimes can be cliquey
Unfair and poor management. They only hire their friends and families. You wont last if you're a part timer and nonwhite.
_Very poor management.
-Can't complain about anything to authorities because everyone's friends with each other. You'll end up losing hours if you complain.

- they only hire their friends and families (very unfair and unethical environment)

- you'll last if you're WHITE.

- managers from different store make whatsapp group where they talk nonsense about part timers

- part timers have no value whatsoever (5 hours max biweekly)
It’s ok
I worked at softmoc for 2 years and I love the people but management was messed up they only hired managers with no experience and it was very annoying
Too stressful
Started out ok. Got worse fast.
Supervisors are pushed hard to in turn push the other employees hard.

Bullying culture among the upper level supervisors that is either supported or ignored by head office management.
Supporting and best comapny
I really love softmoc. I always enjoyed working as a Manager at softmoc learned so many new things about managing high standards, managing lot of employees and receiving and sending out stock.
Pros
Manager's Tours
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at SoftMoc?
Competitive and Greedy
I don't recommend working here. Co-workers are rude and competitive with one another.
Management accuses others of stealing sales and stocking the store wrong.

The pay structure is unfair.

The work is so boring and slow.

Some customers would be nice and you'd make a good sale but there's no praise given for good work but you'll get so much negative feedback for a small mistake.

They expect you to know everything after one or two shifts
Fast Paced environment, with great discounts
I enjoyed working at Soft Moc. The team all got along really well, and worked great together. They give you a good discount, and i had opportunities to get shoes at cost. They also offer a 25% discount for employees friends and family. Management changed, and the fun environment turned into stressful one, which is why I left.
Great place for students as hours are flexible
The job consisted of selling shoes, organizing, cleaning and operating the cash register as well as complete inventory. It's not a difficult job and is great for students wanting part-time work, compensation is not much but in the busy season you get bigger commissions. If you have a friendly smile and are comfortable talking to customers and up-selling, it's a great place to start in retail.
Recommend
- great staff
- great learning experience

- understanding management

- easy and great way to learn what it is like to work retail

- gives you great memory skills
Richmond is the worst
the worst company to ever work for, management is terrible, whenever someone messes up there is always someone to put the blame on, a lot of drama and lies. There is no proper training through my experience I had to learn through mistakes. Would only recommend if your desperate for money. Upper management is a joke. DO NOT MENTION ANYTHING PERSONAL ABOUT YOURSELF OR WHAT YOU DO DURING YOUR SHIFT
Nice work place, customer service, learned new things, Softmoc is good work place for new comers. It proves flexibility so that yoiu can take any further studies or another job.
Overall it was an okay job
The management at the store I worked at was very unprofesional. A normal day would be cleaning, help some customers, clean the store. Made sure the shoes faced the correct way.
No worth it
Love the customers and staff i work with and even the job its self but you work very hard for little pay hrs never consistent from one week to the next.
Good
I did not worker there for very long so i cant provide a fully proper review, but from what i remember the people working there were always super helpful.
Easily the worst job I've ever had
Absolutely do not work for this company. They brought a "shoe rack" store to our city and I worked there for about two years. I was full-time as an assistant manager for a year and then part time afterwards. Management was working 80+ hours a week with no benefit to them. Our store was CONSTANTLY understaffed - we weren't allowed to hire more people in an attempt to save money even tough almost every customer review stated that the issue with the store was that there was never enough staff to help all the customers. We lost so many sales because there would be 30+ people in the store with only 4 staff. The district managers were dismissive and unavailable to staff with concerns about management and are also clearly only motivated by money (I understand that in retail sales are important, but you do need to invest time into your employees or you're going to lose money and staff). Honestly, this is the worst job I ever had - I can't even shop here anymore because I refuse to put my money into such a company
AVOID AT ALL COSTS
Pros
Paid Breaks
Cons
You literally never got to take your break
Stressful Plae To Work, No Work Life Balance
You are expected to do 80+ hours, as a manager you are on call at all times you must have your cellphone on which they do not pay for if anybody calls in sick you have to go in to replace them you are not paid for being on call.
envrionnement de travail agréable
l'environnement de travail chez softmoc est très agréable.
Low Pay but Easy
Commission is terrible. It is not minimum wage plus commission, its about 8.00 plus commission but always rounded up to at least minimum wage. Selling shoes is easy, they have stats to follow but they were never enforced at my location. If you want full time, look elsewhere.