Sofina Foods
Happiness score is 56 out of 100

Sofina Foods Employee Reviews

Canada182 reviews

Decent pay and benefits

The pay is okay for the work you do, and the benefits are also good. Monthly bonus if you don't miss any time. Short breaks and very minimal freedom, the place is locked down like fort knoxx.

Pros

Monthly bonus, weekly pay, benefits

Cons

Wet, stinky, stressful

Productive and friendly staff

Day shift is great! On site cafeteria! Job difficulties depending on where you work many different areas in the facility. Some long hours. PPE is supplied

Pros

Weekly pay benefits occasional give aways

Cons

Long hours limited parking

Na

Good company to work for. People are very cooperative, my manager was an exceptionally good person. If I can I will go back to this company. Amazing and relaxed place.

Good pay, but inconsistent

Worked there as a student last summer. People are nice and willing to help but the work schedule was very inconsistent. The pay was very good for students. It’s a fast paced environment.

Pros

Good pay for students

Cons

Inconsistent

Fun place to work at

Just started working here as a general labor and so far it’s the best place to work at and I would recommend it to anyone. They also have a great cafe with great food

Pros

Good benifits and work environment

Cons

Productive and professional work place

Very professional work place. Very supportive HR as well as management, right from the first interview till hiring.Good work culture. Good location .

A bad place to work.

Sofina foods has many problems, most of them come from management. If you are looking to be used and abused and tossed when you break then this is your place. They will tell you that they want suggestions on how to improve the place and then do nothing to fix things, they work you too hard for what they are paying as well.they also run their business expecting people to agree to do overtime while not paying a high enough wage so people will feel like they have no choice but to do the overtime to make up the difference. I would advise you steer clear.

Pros

The money is the only redeeming quality and its not worth it.

Cons

Terrible managment, staff do not have each others back and most will screw you first chance they get, You are over worked and under paid, so many other cons

lack of trust at all levels within the R&D department

they have likely one of the best technically educated groups , unfortunately they also have have a very toxic culture, micromanagement was at levels that I have never seen. There was no trust at all from management to the R&D team. Although very technical, they cut many corners in the process in order to meet cost< last but not least, ethics are horrible, you are asked to lie and deceive customers all the time. Hopefully has changed, but that was how it was back then

An amazing place to work.

Just loved to work at sofina foods at both the location in Mississauga and Vaughan too. Amazing staff, perfect Management and helping and lovely co workers.

Pros

Long lunch times, Amazing Pay

It used to be a fun and exciting place to work.

The new management has brought down the work ethics and interest in work. I suggest Mr. Latifi pay more attention to the current management as it has brought down the morals of the employees.

Great place to work!

I have worked for Sofina for just about a year and absolutely love it here. The people are great and you are treated like family. Like any job, the work is hard and you are expected to do it well. This is why I feel several of the negative reviews are not accurate. Don't fool yourself, when you come to work in a meat processing facility, the environment is cold, damp, dirty, sometimes smelly. If you can't handle these things, then you should go work in retail, but don't leave a negative review for a company that provides food to so many families and businesses. How do you think this food gets to your table? At the end of the day, yes it's hard work but you are well compensated for it and always appreciated by supervisors.

Pros

good pay, excellent co-workers, teamwork

Cons

some negative people

Fast-Paced and Challenging Work

A lot of the reviews here are pretty understandable considering some of the advantages and disadvantages of working at Sofina Foods. I personally, had a great time working here. I worked here as a general labourer for the summer jobs they were offering. If you are a student and looking for a place to work for the summer and didn’t previously have any experience, this is the place to do it. The hours are sometimes long, but the pay is amazing. They offer you overtime and a perfect attendance bonus if you’ve clocked in before the start of your 6 am shift. The environment is friendly and the people you work with day-to-day become like family. The supervisor’s are pretty understanding of most situations. The work can be challenging, but what job isn’t? I definitely recommend this place to students in need of some work experience and an overall great work environment!

Pros

Decent Pay

Cons

Short Breaks

Don’t waste your time

A terrible place to work. If your a yes person, you will be fine. If you are creative and speak your mind, forget about working here. The owner and management run this company like a third world prison. I wouldn’t recommend this company even to people I dislike!

Pros

You get a paycheque every 2 weeks

Sofina is alright...

It wasnt too bad when I was working there but they also had different management staff as well. I know recently they had a switch in staff and everything has gone down hill. I wouldn't recommend working here because of how badly it's gotten.Overall though the general labor work there isn't too difficult if you're in better physical shape. They will put you everywhere to test your limits and see if you will last.

Pros

Weekly pay.

Cons

Long hours and alot of break downs.

The heros are the supervisors and employees! They are the ones who get the work done!

Horrible high turnover of top management.plant manager is useless.Very high turn over of middle management.We made a really good product to a generic one my dog wont eat!!

Pros

Cons

Wet damp moldy dirty enviroment!

Very structured work environment.

You will thrive if you like structure. Everyone minds their business and does their job. High rate of employee retention and annual bonus. Good benefits too.

Pros

Employee pricing, flexible hours

Cons

WFH is not an option.

production place

me and my co-workers work hard at this place. the hours can be long, especially recently. but, i have been trained on the knife and get a good pay every week. i can't complain. management mostly works as hard as us, some more than others. best part is my friends on the line. we get along good and have some fun at work. a lot of us are like family in my department.

Pros

good people, decent pay

Cons

long shifts sometimes

You're just a number

This company doesn't care who you are, what you're life outside of their walls are like or how many hours/hard work you put in. They'll treat you like dirt from day one, to the day you quit. I do NOT recommend this place.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Dirty, cold, management, you're a number.

Poor Management and Salary

Management pushes production over everything and has a low opinion of the skilled trades. The opinion of them being easily replaceable and over paid has left the millwright stuff with a high turnover leaving only the oldest.

Pros

Tool allowance

Cons

Long hours, poor work culture

not a good place to work

communication between management and employees is poor, high turnover rate. alot of backstabbing, blaming, ratting out, from lead hands and supervisors in all departments, overall bad atmosphere to work in

Pros

pay is decent

Cons

working environment/management

Company lacks leadership to drive corporate culture

While the owner was active in the operations, there was a definite leadership style and adherence to the "blueprint"; since the owner has left that role, the new leader lacks the cultural appreciation and understanding that made Sofina a very unique place to work. Loyalty appears to be rewarded at Sofina as opposed to hard work, innovation and challenging the status quo. The people that get to the top are "yes man" and the owner and the his protege surround themselves with people that say "yes" and refrain from telling the truth or being honest. There is no governance or system in place to ensure management is following the rules -- "might is right" is what wins at Sofina and in the meantime, members of senior management are dropping like flies.

Pros

A lousy frozen turkey at Christmas time

Cons

Golf tournament that NO ONE below the VP level is invited to, a foundation funded by its employees based on guilt, having to wear formal clothes all week, no substantial discount on purchase of products.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sofina Foods. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.1Job security/advancement