Sobeys Employee Reviews

Very Productive workplace with great employees
Cashier & Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB30 March 2018
What I learned working at Sobeys is that to be successful at work and to make your customers happy, you always have to be friendly with your customers and have a smile on your face, because a happy customer is a happy boss, and when your boss is happy good things can happen.
Pros
Flexible schedule/hours, Friendly co-workers
Cons
Long hours, little to no benefits for part-time employees
Forklift Operator
Certified Fork Lift Operator & Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON29 March 2018
Would use automated radio system for picking and collecting various orders from entire distribution centre different kind of Lifts.Company has very good life balance and great company to work for.
Pros
Free lunches
great
Salad Bar Clerk (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON29 March 2018
it is so cool, sobeys is great because everyone is so helpful and friendly, however, I feel the pay is minimum but you do so much work sometimes that minimum isn't enough.
Good grocery store
Cashier and Deli (Former Employee) –  Tillsonburg, ON29 March 2018
Setting up the deli for open.
I learned how to use slicers and clean them.
Good management.
Good workplace culture.
Hardest part of the job was learning to convert weights.
Most enjoyable part of the job was cooking hot foods and preparing cold sandwiches.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Working short staffed when someone called in.
Cleaner/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 March 2018
- Clean the meat department, clean all knives.
- Management could get some work.
- Hardest part was to impressing the manager regardless of what I did.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Rough management
Good Workplace
Baker (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 March 2018
I utilized my long term experience as a baker in this company. working conditions are very good and staff are friendly. Management is also reliable and efficient.
Great management team and communication
Supermarket sales associate (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON26 March 2018
Management had great structure.
Positive work environment was displayed through all teams in Sobeys departments.
Day to day work was straight forward, stocking shelves and keeping the store clean.
Nice Store
Store Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 March 2018
Really a great place to work, just to bad that the store closed down due to Corporate restructuring, management and staff were great, environment was friendly.
Cons
difficult environment to work in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK25 March 2018
Sobeys was a great place to interact with people for those who are extroverts, however i found the managers were unfair in reasoning with hours for a full-time student- athlete
Pros
interacting with people
Cons
unreasonable manager
Productive Service
Cashier (Former Employee) –  St. Albert, AB24 March 2018
During a shift at Sobeys we are expected to created a friendly experience for the costumers, leaving the store wanting to come back. We are also expected to keep the front end as tidy as possible, keep our tills clean and handle money resppnsibly.
Overall an enjoyable experiance
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Olds, AB24 March 2018
Not much outside of the training weeks that was learned. Anything extra that was required was learned towards the end of my working at Sobeys. Working independent was very enjoyable.
Pros
Easy to take time off
Cons
Not easy to get needed hours
easy job with nice people
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON22 March 2018
alot of nice people and its really easy work. customers are mostly kind. two 15 minute breaks and a half hour lunch. you have to bring a lunch or buy it there but no employee discounts on anything.
Pros
nice people
Cons
some employees abuse their seniority to not work as hard as others
Kind of a bad place to work
Receiver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB21 March 2018
I was severely underpaid for my position, and promised advancement but management never followed through.

I was expected to perform the duties of several employees as people would leave, but replacements were not hired.

I was accepted into post secondary education and was told that I had to maintain my previous schedule or I would be written up for every day that I wasn't there.
Pros
Management mostly left me alone
Cons
Too high of expectations for the pay
Review of Cashier position
Front End Cashier (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON21 March 2018
Started working there at 16, provided me with flexible hours, good staff, good experience. Improved my customer service skills and organization skills.
Pros
Stable job
Cons
Not enough hours
good company
Front End Cashier & File Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON21 March 2018
a great first job. lots of room to grow and learn. flexible hours and understanding management, especially if you are a student. overall, i loved working here.
Overall Great Place to Work
Cash Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 March 2018
I really enjoyed the 2 years I worked for Sobeys. As a company, they are focused on employee engagement (morale) and on ensuring employees feel heard.

Some managers can be a little harder to deal with than others. Behaviour such as cutting hours to punish employees is frustrating to say the least.

Work/Life Balance is great. The hours are flexible and you can set your own availability (as long as you can be available at least one evening and at least one weekend day). They also offer a Sunday premium, which is great for those who don't have religious obligations.

Salary starts at minimum wage and then increases by $0.05 every 700 hours. The regular raises are a great incentive.
Pros
Great people
Cons
No shift premium for supervisors
productive and relaxed
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON20 March 2018
i would go in prepare orders and meals then clean up and go home, management was friendly and the environment didn't ever feel tense. The hardest part of the job is all the dishes you have to do and the best part is food prep
Pros
good hours
Cons
no advancement, no benefits/discount
Strategic Direction
Director (Former Employee) –  Ontario20 March 2018
Past senior management was not clear on strategic direction. With multiple banners and branding/offering, often times planning and going to market were not executed well.
Pros
East coast laid-back culture.
Cons
Too many decision-makers
Friendly workplace
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Windsor, NS20 March 2018
It was a good starting job for me. A typical day depended on the time of my shift. In the morning I came in and packaged what needed to be packaged and helped customers once the store opened. An evening shift I came in and was greeted by other then did my regular nightly routine, helping customers when they needed it.
Family like environment but small town store equals drama
Baker/Cake Decorator (Former Employee) –  Morinville, AB19 March 2018
Though I had a wonderful experience working here, not everyone did. It can feel very family-like in the way everyone is there for you but at the same time that level of involvement comes with the gossip, drama and petty conflicts. A select few managers are very proactive and well rounded, but a lot of "paper work" managers exist in which they disappear to do "manager work" and leave the employees to run the departments. As with most chains, the amount of new hires is fairly consistent and the ability to "move up" is not super prevalent.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with snobby customers, and the best part was the friends you make at work. The tasks are not rocket science and it definitely is less stress than a fast food service job and less labour intensive than a construction job.
Pros
Paid breaks, family feel, Low stress
Cons
On your feet a lot, Gossipy, Hour Fluctuations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.