Sobeys

Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 3,650 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,720 reviews

Insights into Sobeys

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Sense of belonging
  • Fair pay for job

No chance to get full-time

Not a bad place to work, but the wages are too low and it’s impossible to get full-time unless you’re there for 10 years. Also, you don’t get any store discount for working there.

Pros

Nice people

Cons

Unstable hours. Low pay no store discount

Voila by Sobeys

Pretty good, will get ware and tear on your body as it can get physical, only reason why I left otherwise great job. Colleagues were really great, made a lot of friends there, management was really great. Stress free job.

Pros

Work Culture, Management

Cons

Physical

Not great

Not a great driving position, high turnover of staff, there is favouritism for some employees that get along with management. Not much room for growth

depends the way you look at it

Good for part time but full timers often have to work every weekend and management has there favorites. Like everywhere it depends the way you look at it and what you put into it as well.

Pros

Nice co workers

Cons

inconsistent hours for part time

Amazing People

I worked at a smaller Sobeys so it may not be the same as others but it was a great part-time job for a student. The owner was awesome, communicated well, and made you enjoy your time there. At times the shift can seem slow and you can find yourself with not much to do, but co-workers help with that. I worked at this job for almost 7 years and was sad when I had to leave. I would highly recommend working at my Sobeys location for anyone who is looking for their first job or an easy part-time job.

Pros

Great staff, sense of community, easy to learn.

Cons

Slow at times, gets boring doing the same thing all the time.

Fair but boring place to work

It was an okay job that was fine as I was a student and was working part-time. Work is very slow-paced and managers are mediocre and unengaged. Wouldnt recommend if you want to work your way up in the company.

Pros

Goods Breaks

Cons

Boring

It was a fine job

Was a regular shift work job, I was told right off the bat what my minimum hours a week were and they never had me work any less than that. Management is hit and miss but that's what you get in a massive corporation.

Pros

Relaxed work environment

Cons

Thefts

Good place to work of your a student

Working at Sobeys is fantastic if your a student. Co-workers are very friendly and collaborative. Management is easy doing with flexible hours that suite your needs

Good Workplace for Students

I worked at Sobeys all throughout high school and university as it was an easy part-time job. You gain a lot of customer service experience and learn a lot throughout the job. However, working in the deli was stressful at times, and the job itself I found tiring. I would go home smelling like chicken and it was so hard to get rid of the smell. I would recommend working as a cashier as you get paid the same but do significantly less work. Management also sucked.

Pros

Get enough hours

Cons

Short staff, long list of duties, sometimes don't leave on time, pay

Good benefits..

Friendly team members and beautiful head office. Always changing which opens up to new job opportunities and advancement. Company has great family events.

Pros

free product samples

Fair

Working here is fair specially if you’re still a student. They know that your classes are your priority. People are friendly and you can easily make friends with everyone.

Rewarding and encouraging

Overall Sobeys is a great place to work, they value their employees along with customers… it is retail so work life balance is sometimes difficult. There is opportunities to advance as long as you show your initiative and eagerness. They offer constructive criticism along with promote teamwork. The pay is comparable to other similar jobs for other companies. Overall good company to work for thst offers corporate and franchise locations

Pros

Support to each other

Cons

Retail hours - open most holidays

Stay away

It's like being in high school. If the popular people like you then you are golden. Equipment is old and can be dangerous. Not very organized, need to move so many racks around to get your product. So repetitive it gets very boring. If you are there last you need to clean up after the earlier people, who make a big mess. Manager is never around, always sitting upstairs, when they do come down it's only to complain that things aren't being done fast enough.

Pros

Not much

Cons

Work hard for small wage.

Fun place to work

It a fun place to work manager are very nice iff you wotk day it be fine but keep away from night shift it full off back stabbing adult that act like spoil teen weird people most off them are undet influence off narcortic weed pill and iff you are not full time your hours are not garantie so make sure you have a seconde job iff not you can not survive on the hour you get thst can vary from 18 to 32 hour a week they will promise you hour but to not trust them even iff you a great worker and produce more it wont change anything it who they like it a click thing it high school for adulte

Pros

Friendly management

Cons

Hour never the same

it a good place to work

it a good place to work. of they have the hours to give you. there great people there. there lots of people to help you. there a lot of suggestions on things.

Pros

nice people

Cons

no hours

Management was a disaster and no real training. Had to learn as you go. If theres problems you just have to deal with it. No changes happen.

Overall I was disappointed in this. Not sure if it's just this location but management is disorganized. It was very clicky. No training and no problems were solved when you addressed your concerns. Pay wasn't fair for the amount of work you needed to do. They pushed you beyond what you were capable. I wouldn't recommend. Discount only 10%.

Cons

Pay and management.

Productive work place

Once training was done keep to what they want you to do and you have a great position with little problems an overall good working environment with room to advance into different positions if wanted.

Not Bad But Not Good Either

It has its ups and downs. I've explained in the pros and cons sections about what to expect when working at Sobeys. They have improved some things over the years to make working there more comfortable. But the main issue I have is how for some reason, the management and head office have a problem with proper directional signs to guide customers (Eg. Where to line up for alcohol and lottery ticket purchases). Me, other employees, and customers have complained countless times on how we need proper signage so there are no confusions happening. But they expect us to have eyes on the back of our heads, and they expect customers to be smart enough to know how things work in every grocery store.

Pros

2 week schedule notice, 10% employee discount when signed up with Air Miles, workers and some customers can be awesome to work and interact with, understanding when it comes to mental health, some paid vacation times, a lot of different promotional shirts (more free clothes), and diverse with which employees they allow to work with them (eg. Disabilities, ethnicities, sexuality, etc.).

Cons

Shifts and hours are always random, make you work almost every single weekend and/or holiday, some workers and customers can be problematic, full time work only applies to certain positions, working at the customer service desk requires too much multitasking, you need your Smart Serve to sell alcohol, only blank black sweaters/hoodies and shoes are allowed to wear, 14 vacation days per year, and there's lack of communication with what goes on for everyone (eg. Change in work protocols, etc.).

Good and fun place to work

Meeting different people everydayFilling up the stocks for customers to choose and purchaseLearned about merchandising, product FIFO and awareness of expirationDiverse and Inclusive workplaceThere are times the items in bulk reasonably heavy just be cautious as the hardest part but the most enjoyable is you can build camaraderie and easy to request schedules

Competitive but fun

It was a very competitive yet fun place to work, it was almost like a race, because you had all your coworkers working beside you and it was fun to see who could get their customer through the fastest whilst also being respectful of their groceries and their time.

Stay away

A surprisingly difficult job to get hired in. But once you're in it's when the hard part begins. No room for advancement, terrible management and a turnover in employees that is laughable and easily avoidable. If you're serious for looking for work at this company stay away as it'll be weeks before you hear from their hr department.

Pros

Cons

Everything else

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.3K