Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 2,587 reviews matching the search See all 2,634 reviews
good place
bagger and cashier assistant (Former Employee) –  Parry Sound, ON21 March 2019
it was a good place to work and gave me good hours. i was treated nicely and respectfully and never had any issues at the work place. i reccomend applying
stocking shelves
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  High River, AB21 March 2019
I was in charge of stocking shelves and organization the floor. I was in charge of cleaning the floors at the end of the day as well as opening the store in the morning.
Had a good time working there
Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK20 March 2019
Felt like a family and I did find it hard to leave learned more about the business and it was very much hands on and very good training could move around in different areas/depts as well we could also fill in the sept if there were sick calls
As long as we were trained
Pros
Created great freindships
Cons
Change of management
Productive and fun workplace
Clerk Produce (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB20 March 2019
I enjoy working with the people in our department and they have enough training for the job. They provide free uniforms and excellent benefit package and insurance. The hardest part is when you are not used to standing longer hours and unfortunately requires for the job.
Pros
very nice camaraderie with the people you are working for
Cons
very low salary compared to the job that you have to do
not a bad place
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 March 2019
i Just couldn't work there because of the seniority policies that they have they always try to put you down by restraining the fact that you can easily grow in the company
Good company
Produce Manager/Relief Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON19 March 2019
Pay is good. They ask you to work long hours but don’t compensate you for it. Only downfall of this company. Would still be there if I didn’t have to work twenty hours for free
Pros
Pay is good
Its sobeys
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON19 March 2019
Really laid back job. I worked as a deli clerk where I would serve costumers and clean up the entire deli. Management wasn't helpful with anything and more often then not wanted you to do part of their job for them.
Pros
Short shifts
Cons
Managment
Very busy
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Amherstburg, ON18 March 2019
This job had helped me learn how to juggle many different tasks all at at once it thought me good customer service and also helped me come out of my shell of being shy
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not very organized
Great place to work.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Tantallon, NS17 March 2019
Enjoyed my job it is a great place to work. Everyone is friendly and courteous. Great work life balance. You were able to get time off if you needed it.
Hard job, can be fun
GROCERY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 March 2019
Being a salaried manager expect to be overloaded and under supported. This is a challenging job and is certainly not for everyone. It can run smoothly and pay well when you are get help. The work/life balance of management in particular is sacrificed in order to meet labor budget requirements.
Pros
Rewarding to serve the community, plenty of exercise with this job
Cons
Long hours, not much support
Healthy Work place
Administrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL15 March 2019
Sobeys is a great place for students to start their work career with part time hours, the people are loving and caring. And it being a grocery store helps interact more with personnel.
Pros
More Hours
Cons
Long Shifts
Work can dry up instantly
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Westlock, AB14 March 2019
As a student working and looking for a early job, working for Sobeys was not as rewarding as shopping it's products. Overall I do not dislike Sobeys, however most local people know the issues with management and the owners of the company. They would hire many students during the summer and instantly lay them off, cutting full time employment down to causal or part-time. As a hard working student proud he/she got a job this can be demoralizing. The reason being the owners/managers decided they had to much staff and needed to cut back, but would not fire anyone. It has been a long time since I worked a summer here,and I do not know if this has improved.
Pros
can leave during lunch
Cons
Owners and management, buy your own uniform
Cashier / Cash Office Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS14 March 2019
Wonderful staff to work with, great way to learn the business and go to school while working. They help with school tution as well which is great from the company.
Isolated Inncident
Dairy Manager (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB14 March 2019
Before I start let me just make sure that you know that the problem I had with my company was most likely due to the managers of the particular store, not the company as a whole. I got hurt at work. It happens right? Well, the way I got hurt doesn't happen everyday. The shipper/receiver was extremely overworked and he didn't have time to rest in between shifts and one day he brought his power jack into my dairy fridge and he was in a bad mood. He couldn't get the door to move by hitting it with the power jack (which you shouldn't ever do anyway) so he shoved it and then rammed it really hard with the power jack again. I told him to stop and I lightly pushed the door open for him to get out. Then I turned around and shut the door and I guess him ramming the door with the power jack made the door jump off the tracks because when I went to close it the whole thing fell on me. Crushing my wrist and destroying my back. I had to go on WCB and they were fine to deal with but my managers? Oh they made my life a living nightmare. They didn't care about me. All they cared about is that they didn't get the blame for this. I had surgery for my wrist, and to this day it still ails me and I won't even get started on the pain I feel in my back everyday.
Pros
Cons
Everything to do with this particular store
People I served and worked with
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Stettler, AB14 March 2019
Meeting and greeting the customers, helping them to get what they needed. Assisting them to find everything they were looking for. Most of the other employees were friendly and if you needed help and they could they did. The owners and managers were very understanding and helped me any way they could.
Pros
Friendly customers and staff
Cons
there weren't really any
very slow pharmacy
Volunteer Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 March 2019
less patients so not really hard to manage it.
patients are really nice so easy to explain every one of them
nice place to work although the pharmacy is closed now permanently
Pros
nice environment
Cons
less rx
Great starting job
Stock Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort Erie, ON12 March 2019
A typical day of work at sobeys consisted of stocking shelves and/or dairy and frozen sections with the occasional collection of grocery carts from outside
Pros
Relaxed work environment
Cons
Working in the winter
Productive and fun workplace
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB12 March 2019
Worked 8 hours a day and as long as the work was done, the managers would be okay if you took a minute to chat with a co-worker or customer. I learned to improve my people skills and to deal with unhappy customers. The management was great. Always willing to teach me new things and trade me in different departments. The workplace was a lot of fun. I got to know everyone and everyone was happy to help out if I needed a hand. The hardest part of the job was trying to please a customer that couldn't be pleased. The most enjoyable part of the job was the casual workplace and the manual labor to keep me in shape.
Pros
Free snacks, discounted items occasionally
Cons
Co-worker drama
Good student job
Grocery Team Member (Former Employee) –  Aurora, ON12 March 2019
worked here as a high school student and it was a nice way to engage with others and a fun first job! I would recommend anyone that is trying to get a job to work in a grocery store setting as it was fun and easy.
A good place to work.
Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON12 March 2019
Sobeys provides a very good work life balance. You will learn the value of working directly for the company as opposed to a third party logistics provider. You will find that they treat their employees very well and only expect that you be a team player in return.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.