Sobeys

Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 3,633 reviews matching the searchSee all 3,703 reviews

Pharmacy assistant

Sobeys pharmacy is a great place to work! The staff are very respectful and willing to help teach. They are very good with training their employees before starting and yearly.Overall excellent work environment!

Pros

No weekend shifts

Cons

minimal hours

Good and fun place to work

Meeting different people everydayFilling up the stocks for customers to choose and purchaseLearned about merchandising, product FIFO and awareness of expirationDiverse and Inclusive workplaceThere are times the items in bulk reasonably heavy just be cautious as the hardest part but the most enjoyable is you can build camaraderie and easy to request schedules

Competitive but fun

It was a very competitive yet fun place to work, it was almost like a race, because you had all your coworkers working beside you and it was fun to see who could get their customer through the fastest whilst also being respectful of their groceries and their time.

Stay away

A surprisingly difficult job to get hired in. But once you're in it's when the hard part begins. No room for advancement, terrible management and a turnover in employees that is laughable and easily avoidable. If you're serious for looking for work at this company stay away as it'll be weeks before you hear from their hr department.

Pros

Cons

Everything else

Found something better don’t work for the crazy people who compare you to a robot

People so rude even when I complained about the rudeness of the colleague to the supervisors Suoerisor did not care to fix it he said that it is a very frustrated job here. Payment is very low to the cost of living they offer part time and the money is too little comparing the job they want you to do

Pros

No free lunch they have a crazy system u will not even have time to go washroom

Sucks.

I hate working here. Some of the customers who come here are so disrespectful. Management is terrible. I do not recommend working here.Supervisors and employees are kind however. So that's the only thing I like about here.

Pros

Air miles discount

Cons

Poor management

This place is an absolute joke

As title states, what an absolute joke. They start out nice and friendly telling you all the things you are able to achieve and how much they like you. But as soon as you get into the grit of it, and the Manager/Assistant Managers alike don't listen to their staff. The moment you try and make a stand to help improve your own experience and others around you, you are now the bad guy and absolutely everything is your fault.

Pros

Absolutely Nothing

Cons

Terrible managers, set in their ways, wont improve quality of working for their employees, demeaning, demanding, unprofessional

Poor communication between management and employees

It's a meat grinder, plain and simple. If you start here you won't be seeing day shift until maybe five years in if you're lucky. If you're young and want to avoid making minimum wage then come on down but this place doesn't even pay you enough to survive out on your own.

Pros

Benefits plan and pension

Cons

Poor communication

Leadership

Leadership and generator training processes were horrible. After 3 days they expect you to be able to work alone, with no resource or guidance available in that particular department.

Pros

Cons

Poor leadership and training

Decent place to work

I worked full time with the company for12 years and part time for 1year. I left to try something else but do scatter shift still when they need extra help

Working the night shift is the best job i've ever had

The hours were nice, there were no customers in the store so you could listen to music and wear whatever you wanted to work (as long as it wasn't offensive of course). There were only three of us working so most of the time we kept to ourselves except to ask for questions or whatnot. All in all it was a great time.

Poor Treatment

When I first started working at sobeys I was told it was a great work environment. At first everything was good until the new owners took over from there many people started quitting because they were being mistreated as if they were servants and not real people.

Pros

nothing

Friendly workplace

You get to know everybody and you learn from people who have worked there a lot and you create friendships with them that last a long time. Friendly workplace and a trustworthy workplace. Respect and cooperation are key with Sobeys.

Pros

Free food from a la carte and bakery

Cons

Difficult management at some times

Poor pay, sub par communication

Worked here as my first job out of hs. Had a decent amount of hours, but were 100% midnight shifts, and wasn't paid anything more than the bare minimum. Communication between management and night shift workers left a lot to be desired.

Pros

Decent weekly hours

Cons

Terrible pay, little hope of ever becoming full time

Good work for a short period of time.

I've been a team member for Sobeys Rsc for almost 5 years now. I started as a temp and got hired as a part time then became full time. The job was easy enough and there's a lot of overtime hours for the graveyard shift order selectors. I'm in a different department now and it's a steady 40 hour week job. Work life balance wise is not great since most the employees under 10 years will work night shift. Relationship between Management can be a hit or miss. They will treat you right if you're willing to kiss their behind and be their work dog. (Voluntold) Management appears to train their favorite "dogs" first although the warehouse is unionize and has a seniority list. The management wont fire or demote employees that constantly hit the racking, or won't meet the ELS.I do not care what other people says about Sobeys Rsc. Over the years ,it looks like that it became the retirement home of elderly people. I haven't seen the company hire young people. The new team members lack training, they keep bumping into things, they don't know where they are going and they put their pallets in the wrong staging lane. Job culture is poor the warehouse is toxic. The warehouse is full of tell tales and backstabs. The supervisors have their favorites. The warehouse has a high rate of employee turnover. Lots of employees are on modified duties for a long period of time (Trust me when I say a long period of time) Senior employees hoard all the overtime even though there's less work. The relationship between the morning shift and night shift is poor. Management don't care about the engineered -

Cons

"Family Nurturing Families" (if you know, you know)

Don't work there

Me, my sister and a bunch of my friends have worked at Sobeys (all different ones) and all of our experiences have been horrible. Horrible management. They didn't care about their employees at all. There isn't a single thing good about working there. The only good thing is that all the people that hated working there (which was basically everyone) got along well and were nice to everyone.

Cons

Decent workplace, could be better

Some managers are great, some not so much. Making above minimum, the pay is worth the work, but if you make minimum, it definitely isn't. Every department can be stressful, but it is a fast paced and easy to learn environment

Pros

flexible scheduling, lots of work

Cons

hard work, low pay

Bad place to work

Minimum pay and over worked People are nice but non management types. Other than that there is nothing good to say about working at Sobeys they are cheap

Fun place to begin at

Sobeys is a good place to work if you don't work cashing. Being a cashier there is basically becoming the know it all of the entire store. Basically people come to you and expect you to know everything. Management is very poor, barely any communication in-between them and staff.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, poor pay, management

Good if you’re in high school

The best thing about this job was the parties we had with coworkers after we’d get off haha. The job was straight forward and didn’t involve much thinking unless a disgruntled customer tried to get mad at you or something lol

Cons

Country Hills Location Management was disrespectful and extremely rude to both customers and staff

Overall Sobeys as a company is fantastic; lots of variety and great customers. However, the management I dealt with at the Country Hills location was beyond disappointing and disgusting. Not to say every single management individual was terrible (because the males were great), but the females specifically were shockingly rude. Their disrespect to not only myself, but the customers and other staff disgusted me enough for me to actually quit the job. There is a difference between being straight-forward and just plain up rude. At times there was disrespect to me in private but also in front of customers. The last straw was when the manager on shift and the supervisor disrespected a man with a service dog right in front of me. Not only did they try to deny giving him service but also being straight up rude to him. I have honestly never been more embarrassed or ashamed to witness such a scene. The female managers not only made me hate coming to work but caused me so much stress due to their actions. The Country Hills Sobeys customers are absolutely amazing (and really the only reason I gave 2 stars). They are kind, respectful and the entire reason I stayed at that job for so long. So seeing them being treated with such disrespect broke my heart. Like I say, Sobeys in general is a lovely grocery franchise but in terms of the Country Hills one; I would never recommend it to someone unless those managers were off shift.

Pros

Amazing customers

Cons

Female management was embarrassing and incredibly unprofessional

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.3K