Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 2,491 reviews matching the search See all 2,537 reviews
Not a place if you want a career.
Retail Meat Cutter (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS19 December 2018
Ill keep it short and to the point!

Employment 1992-2000
Department-Meat
1992-2000 Rate of pay- 7.77-9.50
Meat Clerk
Meat Cutter- pay 9.50
Part time for 9 years.

Raises 9 years 1.73

I was not hired Full Time because of my Learning Disability.
During my 9 years with Sobeys I seen many many people older and younger than myself be promoted to Full time within the meat dept, by never me?

Sobeys stores I worked at because of a shortage of meat Cutters.

Sobeys primrose
Sobeys Westphal
Sobeys North / Windsor, hlfx
Sobeys South end, hlfx
Sobeys Cole harbour
Sobeys Hlfx shopping center
Sobeys Fall River
Sobeys Elmsdale
Sobeys Portland street, Old mall.
Sobeys Clayton Park
Pros
Employees
Toxic Environment
Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 October 2018
Sadly this experience reminds me of junior high, one popular clique and some outliers. Upper Management is only focused on the bottom dollar, denying p/t benefits even though hours are reached, not bothering with yearly reviews or raises. There is a lack of any unbiased human resource personnel to lodge legitimate complaints to, not only of broken procedures and duties but bullying from co-workers and managers as well. Harmful and shameful environment. Actively looking to leave.
Pros
Small discount offered.
Cons
Read review.
Productive and rewards long term
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK south albert26 November 2018
I worked in the back primarily moving produce. The managing in these stores is pretty good as they tend to promote already working associates, it very much is a long term job as the benefits such as pay increase come with the hours you work, and it's a high number of hours, the hours aren't very flexible but they are routine, a downside is if you choose a bad department such as produce their is little wiggle room to move to another department. Also in my 6 months working here I had one conversation, no one talks to anyone here, the environment is very much work dominated. They are good for breaks.
Pros
routine, pay increases
Cons
stuck in same department
Pharmacy Assistants and Technicians should be paid better wages
PHARMACY ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Bedford, NS20 December 2018
Honestly I loved my manager and the staff I worked with - I even loved my job because of it. However, Sobeys in general, needs to step it up and pay their Pharmacy assistants and Technicians what they deserve. Most certified technicians don't even get hired as Technicians - they make assistant wages even though they go to school and have to pay their fees, and still practice Technician duties to keep their certification. For the amount of work they do - pace they work at - and sensitive information they have access to - the average wage is absurdly low!

Their benefits program is very good which is a great and necessary perk.The hours at my pharmacy was great as well - all daytime.

There is little room for any type of mistake in pharmacy, and the knowledge and focus that is required is intense. It can be incredibly stressful - and be prepared to be yelled at for the ignorance of customers when it comes to medical coverage, and the medical system in general.
Pros
closed on holidays
Cons
high stress
Please... do not work here.
Salad Bar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 November 2018
I worked at Sobeys for just under a year, and I can say it was a complete waste of my time. My manager, who went out constantly for "smoke breaks" or to "check his tires" for at least 45 min each time, paid no attention to his employees. At first, i thought that it would be a good job. When it came to my own manager, he never scheduled me. I was a good employee - I showed up early and punched out late, always did my best and completed all of the tasks at hand. But when I went away for a week, I expected to come back to my regular schedule, but my name wasn't even on the paper. I kept on calling my manager to put me back up on the sheet, but he would only ever give me the next date to work. eventually, after I went to the store manager, I was on the sheet again. A few month went by and then, out of the blue, I wasn't on the schedule. I called multiple times but my manager was "in a meeting" or "on a smoke break". So, i decided to see how long it would take for them to notice. after 6 weeks went by i quit. Employees were great, but every other aspect of the store was a joke.
Pros
At least I got paid. Ish.
Cons
No benefits or discounts, At all, management doesn't care about you, schedule is on paper and not online.
Great place to work.
Sales Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lloydminster, AB18 September 2018
A sales representative in the food industry. Serving peoples needs. Being polite, helpful and kind. I learned how to handle money in a fast pace setting. In the food industry, "the customer is always right" motto, so always be polite and helpful to make a sale.
Management was organized, responsible and productive.
The hardest part of the job is standing your ground to be polite to a cranky customer. The most enjoyable , on average most people are kind and I enjoyed serving and selling product to the public.
Benefits
Cons
cranky public.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pelham, ON3 November 2018
Sobeys was a good place to work if you are the type of individual that enjoys working in customer service. However, the job can become quite repetitive. Sobeys is a great place when it comes to the flexibility of hours. In all, I would recommend this place to work if you are looking for a part-time job.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Repetitive, no opportunity for pay raise
Every day was a new experience in dealing with people
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS2 January 2019
Excellent employer would recommend to anyone, Sobeys gave me every opportunity to use the skills that i developed on an every day basis. Fun place to work and satisfying being able to help and advise staff on everything in life.
Pros
excellent pension plan and benefits, fun place to work, made lifetime friends through Sobeys.
Cons
dental plans do not carry over when retired
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort Saskatchewan, AB6 October 2018
I really enjoyed working for the company. I loved coming to work and seeing my coworkers and familiar customers. They all really made my day. The only issues I had was not being able to receive benefits for being part-time and if I wanted a promotion I would have to relocate.
Pros
Great environment and coworkers
Cons
Lack of benefits and promotions
Poorly run, many errors, unpersonable
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB23 October 2018
Sobeys has poor respect for their employees. Over worked. Under staffed. No benefits. Dishonest. Poor management. Easy miscommunication. There seems to be a secret world hidden behind closed doors and hidden behind the fact that their a popular "family" company.
This is the worst place I ever work. Sobeys Pembina Location winnipeg
Grocery (Former Employee) –  Sobeys Pembina at fort richmond winnipeg2 June 2018
- Lack of safety culture
- Low salary earning below minimum wage
- No benefit
- No good management skills
- Lack team work
- Good food though
- Safety is at zero level in this location of Sobeys
- Gossips is at it high level
- Especially there grocery manager has no or little knowledge of safety procedures at work.
- No use of hand clove at there grocery department
- Very poor and unsafe cat to store and carry out their grocery out of the store causing potential drooped hazard to the customers on the aisle.
- Staff contribution are always neglected in terms of safety at grocery department
Really good company to work fore
MEAT & SEAFOOD MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 December 2018
Good company, good benefits. Lots of opportunities for advancement. Great training programs, but poor scheduling anfd hours. Have to work evenings and weekends
Pros
Good company
Cons
poor work schedule
Terrible management
Deli Clerk (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON20 November 2018
A lot of work with no benefits, unorganized and biased management and a lot of labour for the pay you're getting. Schedules are based on how well you're liked and some weeks you may not even get a shift.
Pros
GIFT card
Cons
bad management, terrible work, lot of labour
Great Workplace
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2018
Productive and reliable staff , with many benefits such as flexible hours , benefits, .staff discounts, many areas for advancement. Close to all other shopping. Very friendly management.. Had staff parties to show there apprecation off staff
Pros
Staff and locations
Cons
Not enough hours in winter
Best coworkers
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stellarton, NS2 July 2018
Sobeys will always be very near and dear to my heart. Always great coworkers and my most recent manager and department were one of a kind amazing people. If every employee could experience the positive work culture that I did in my most recent position, it would absolutely give a memorable impression and experience that they would never want to leave. Great family company, flexibility as needed. Always giving back to the community.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
salary for certain positions is under the average
Great employees terrible managment from head office
Meat cutter (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS4 January 2019
When there you are just a number to them. Food saftey is over looked at times. No communication at times. Tell you one thing then scold you for doing it.
Pros
Ok money and benifits
Productive at times, small staff room with only one table for 169 staff members
Deli Clerk hmr clerk (Current Employee) –  Mount Pearl, NL21 December 2018
Sobeys is a good place to work but also has a few odd ins and outs that not many people know much about without working there. Customers are very nice most of the time. Coworkers are nice.
Cons
No discount, no free lunches, you get zero benefits
great first job really helps build experience in the workplace
Bakery, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Slave Lake, AB20 September 2018
This being my first job was great! helped me build skills in the workplace which ultimately has helped me. No matter where you are placed ALWAYS be good to the customer.
Pros
you get to bring home free stuff once in a while
Cons
raises don't ever seem to happen.
great food and benefits with decent pay
Fork lift operator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 August 2018
if you like working with machinery and being active , than this is the job. decent pay and flexible shifts with rooms for advancement and department changes. they also have their own cafeteria with a cook and big lunch room. great benefits and unionized.
Pros
great food at cafeteria, unionized, good benefits with decent pay
Cons
can be physically demanding
N/a
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  North Battleford, SK6 December 2018
I had a good experience working at Sobeys.
Great people to work with. Salary minimal, no room for advancement.I was personally looking for better and more secure job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.