Sobeys Employee Reviews

Fun place to work with room for excelling!
Senior Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 May 2018
Worked at Sobeys as my first stable job for a few years was moved from the North York location into the heart of downtown. Never did I have a dull moment at work always such a welcoming and positive place everyone treated each other like family.
Cons
Not the best pay scale/hours
Decent place to work
HMR Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tecumseh, ON15 May 2018
I worked in the HMR department so I served customers and cooked hot food and those were my general duties besides cleaning and washing dishes after 7. It's a pretty easy job and shifts range from 3 - 8.5 hours which isnt too bad. Management could be a lot better.
Pros
good amount of breaks
Cons
stressful rushes of people
environement positif
Assembleur de commandes, opérateur de transpalette (Former Employee) –  Boucherville, QC15 May 2018
belle formation mais après ce devient très individuel, avoir reponse a une simple question pouvait parfois être compliqué mais ça doit s'être régler avec le temps ( j'étais employer en 2013)
Pros
formation transpalette électrique 40h
Cons
blessure, beaucoup d'employés d'agences
easy going flexible work environment
Shipping and Receiving (Former Employee) –  Portage la Prairie, MB14 May 2018
Good night shift job, Flexible hours, Low stress work environment, lots of information about food and cooking. Lots of food samples, good management and employees.
Pros
low stress easy going work environment
Cons
physically demanding
good pople working there
Bakery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB13 May 2018
the people who worked there were good but the managers weren't the best I've seen. the bakery manager was not great. she forced you to stay late if you were opening shift when she got there she would not work till a couple of hours after.
Pros
good people
Cons
bad amangers
Great Job awesome manager
Meat Clerk (Butcher) (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON13 May 2018
I really enjoy working here my manager is really positive towards me and very flexible with my schedule around sports and school. I bring a great effort every shift because I enjoy working hard to help my manager keep everything intact. I'm not a fan of some of the other department managers but my Butcher manager is great.
Productive and laid back
Meat Clerk (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON13 May 2018
Typical day:
Cleaning department. Taking apart, and reassembling saws and work stations. Unloading and stocking shelves. Dating and pricing products. Interacting/serving with customers.

Management was great.
Easy and laid back work even on busy days.
Not terrible
Seafood/File Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Port Colborne, ON12 May 2018
It's typically a great place to work, friendly staff, nice management. However the owner(s) have quite the temper and are known to blow up without a lot of warning. I remember sitting there one day trying to make a sale sign, and he came in and literally starting throwing things off the desk beside me. It's pretty intimidating and he doesn't seem to care too much. So if you can get past the lack of professionalism from he ans his wife, then i think it's a pretty great place to work.
Pros
Friendly coworkers
Cons
Very limited hours, insane owners
Bonne ambiance
Commis d'entrepôt (Former Employee) –  Terrebonne, QC11 May 2018
Les travailleurs dégagent une bonne ambiance, les contremaitres sont agréables.
Terrible store manager
Courtesy Clerk (Former Employee) –  Cold Lake, AB10 May 2018
The store manager made the over-all work experience at Sobey's Cold Lake very poor and stressful. Made you feel unwelcome and unappreciated. The other managers (front-end, meat, bakery, etc.) were wonderful and friendly and you couldn't ask for better leaders, yet the store manager made the experience a very poor one. Never be an even slight inconvenience. Store manager will yell at you and call you names.
Cons
store manager is a jerk
My review is five stars
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS10 May 2018
the Management is good and the building A typical say at work is not hard i learned a lot the hardest part of the job is when it busy the enjoyable is
Pros
Punctual Polite Team Player Hard Worker Well Organized Work well under pressure
Cons
I have no Cons
travail en equipe
Commis d'entrepôt industriel (Former Employee) –  Trois-Rivières, QC9 May 2018
un très bon travail, je voudrais retourner au travail là-bas
Productive Workplace
Courtesy and Grocery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB8 May 2018
Great job experience and friendly environment, many positions to learn from and good hours as well. Friendly staff to work with and easy going supervisors.
Less than satisfactory
Safeway Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 May 2018
Management was terrible (not my immediate boss but upper management). No incentive or reward. Moral was low. The transition from Safeway to Sobeys caused all kinds of confusion. Customers left. Quality went down. The only things I liked about this job were that it kept me very busy, the wage was very good and my co-workers and deli manager were wonderful to work with/for.
Pros
Wage
Cons
Horrible company to work for
Productive friendly work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON7 May 2018
Sobeys was a very great work environment all co workers were friendly and easy to work with and the customers were very nice. I what I enjoyed most about Sobeys was the people I worked with.
Cashier - Front end
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2018
Daily tasks are simple. If you work front end your main job is to assist customers through the till, its a great place to work if you are a people person. Secondary tasks are general maintenance of the store and can be done when there is down time
Owner is awesome.
Cashier and Cash Office Support (Former Employee) –  Orangeville, ON6 May 2018
Cooperate store but privately owned. The family that owned the store was awesome. I enjoyed working for them. They have an awesome team. Union as well.
pretty good job
HMR Clerk (Current Employee) –  Waterloo, ON4 May 2018
Working at sobeys is pretty good although when your working in a small department it can be hard to deal with certain things like ppl just deciding they wont show up for work. It can become frustrating when you have to cover someone's shift once a week but can be nice if your looking for hours. Most coworkers are great and fun to be around but some are very lazy and refuse to do work. Super easy to switch shifts and get time off. Great and very flexible hours.
Pros
flexible hours, easy to book off work
Cons
no discounts, lazy employees
Disprespectful Store Manager and Assistant Manager
Produce clerk (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB3 May 2018
I've worked for Thickwood Sobeys for a few years and I have to say the only negative experience I dealt with is the Store Manager and Assistant Store Manager. They are rude, disrespectful, and talk bad about everyone no matter how great a worker they are. The assistant manager told me not to listen to my department assistant manger because he is "unqualified to do his job" and he did more then the actual department manager. What kind of person says that about another manger? The store Manager is like Godzilla destroying Tokyo, she stomps around belittling everyone and yelling at employees in front of customers embarrassing them. She called someone to the general office just to ask them if that person was on Plenty Of Fish while other managers/employees were present; embarrassing that employee in front of a room of other employees. It's ridiculous that these people are still employed when they bad mouth other employees behind their back to people under them, gossip like high school girls, and treat people like dog dropping on someone's shoe.
Pros
Most staff is friendly, funny, and enjoy thier job.
Cons
Poor store mangamnent, high school ridiculousness and toxic.
I was mostly a cashier
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Kelsey drive, St. Johns3 May 2018
It was an okay place to work. Breaks were as minimum as they could get. They were fair with your schedule. People that I worked with were friendly and nice.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.