Sobeys Employee Reviews

Don't Bother
Kitchen staff (Former Employee) –  Clayton Park, NS22 July 2018
Management was horrible, I wanted to use another word there but Indeed doesn't like it. Training was non-existent, then they get mad at you and insult you for things you don't know how to do. The managers think they are royalty and treat everyone below them like dirt. They play favorites and give the hard working people all the horrible hours, they don't care if you can pay your rent or bills. To them you are just another number walking through their doors. If you want to be working with the most miserable people on the planet, who will eventually suck you into the same mentality until you hate everyone and everything, then this is the place for you.
Pros
Literally the fact that it's a job if you need money. That's it.
Cons
Everything else.
Just another grocery store
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Picton, ON21 July 2018
Sobeys was a great place to work while I was in high school. I worked in produce so it was a very repetitive. Management at my location was not the best as they never acknowledged when I or another employee would go above and beyond.
workplace
Employee (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON20 July 2018
A good company, the workplace environment is a good play to work at if you just want to work the make money. the day to day work is easy once getting use to it
management was poor
Lead Supervisor - Front End (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB19 July 2018
Management seems to accommodate to customers before their employees, most staff are friendly as well as supervisors but management needs improvement, there seems to be quite a bit of drama.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Cons
Poor Management
learnt many strategies and how to work in a fast paced environment
Bakery Associate (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB19 July 2018
a typical day at work was busy and fast paced. I learnt how to take customers orders and work fast. The management wasn't the greatest but i worked to my best ability.
Pros
confident respectable workers
Cons
not great management
interactive welcoming workplace. family based attitude
Packager (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON18 July 2018
a typical work day for me is in the early morning and slow paced
I learned how to work in a team, preform excellent customer service, advance mathematically, build friendships. I also learned how to package product, bake products and decorate cakes
it was an enjoyable job with good pay and good hours.
Pros
1 payed break, 2 paid sick days
Cons
short staffed
Job to life
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 July 2018
Easy to work around school, or other jobs to help make life easier. Can be fun at times depending how the customers are treating you on that day. Enjoy your time there can be long or short
Great Place to work
Bagger (Former Employee) –  ESSA17 July 2018

Great Place to work.

would work there again if the opportunity were to arise.

they were there for me when i needed them, and helped me with a great place to work.
Great workplace with great people
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Sutton, ON17 July 2018
Sobeys is a very welcoming store with great workers and great deals. Most people have great reviews about the store and the cashiers try to give the customers a great experience.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Not enough hours
A Great Stepping Stone to Better Things
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON17 July 2018
I wouldn't treat this job as a life-long career; however, as a part-time job to get my through university, I could not have asked for anything better.

The pay was amazing (better than most places which require post-secondary education) and the job was pretty easy (picking can be tough at first, but the learning curve is very fair). The people are generally very nice and helpful (although there will be one or two who will try to bring you down).

Management varies from shift to shift (mainly due to the culture of each shift). For example, night crew is not stressful - the night shift lead is not stressed out. Afternoons is stressful - the afternoon shift lead is usually stressed out.

Hardest part of the job is the mundane nature of picking. The job is easy but very boring. During the job interview I was given a piece of advice that really helped me out: "Just realize that you're doing it for the money."

Overall, the job is great. It will provide you with more than enough money to obtain your education and move onto greater things. But while you're doing that, you can enjoy a decent job!
Pros
Plenty of Overtime opportunities; Job Security; Good Pay
Cons
Unprofessional co-workers; Union/Management drama; Potentially dangerous.

Want to know more about Sobeys?

Ask a question
a fun place to work
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 July 2018
A typical day at work was very much fun. We had fun as a team and work together. Since working at Sobeys', I have learned about wine and liquor. The hardest part of the job was remembering the different wines and beers name.
Pros
nice co workers
Cons
no benefits
Productive and generally an good place to work for.
System Administrator, Khalix/Longview (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON16 July 2018
Generally a nine to five job. Busiest at its financial period ends where we could experience 14 hours for a couple of days. People are generally nice.
Pros
free samples, team building
Cons
benefit and bonus cuts over the years
good place to work
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON15 July 2018
good and clean .most of peolple are very nice .i have been working there almost 5 years , but it is a little far from my home , i dont like to drive that far ,especiall in winter.
work life
Assistant Deli Manager (Current Employee) –  Ontario13 July 2018
to much is expected, dont have much of a life outside sobeys. Do more with less means over work the salaried empolyees, who work their bums off with no recongintion.
Friendly, easy-going workplace with free food
Seafood Manager's Second (Current Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS12 July 2018
The location i worked at was a particularly quiet one, as there was a second larger sobeys in the same town. this meant that work was easy and laid back, the worst things are probably the fact that management switches around a lot and there isnt much room for advancement unless you stay with the company for a long time. Other than that, pay was good, management was usually good, the culture was friendly... a nice place to work if you need a part-time minimum wage job for a couple years. helped me get back on my feet.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
being called in
Sobeys Inc
Deli Clerk (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NS12 July 2018
My time spent at Sobeys was awesome. I enjoyed my everyday tasks and the people I worked with became family. I learned a lot in my three years working there.
friendly staff
Supervisor/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, AB11 July 2018
Loved working here with the staff. Not enough room for personal growth.
The management and admin are good.
They care about the staffs families, and work with you to give you ample personal time.
Pros
10% staff discount on payday
Cons
No full time unless management
Average retail job
Casher, parcel pickup, grocery stocker (Current Employee) –  Saint John, NB10 July 2018
Average retail job. I was cross trained and did both cashier and cleaning/carts guy. Not bad at first. Good first job. New management has some unrealistic expectations of what they want done.
Pros
Good first job
Cons
Don't expect lots of hours or much more than min wage.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 July 2018
it was also a nice place to work in the problem was they give alot of hours and it was kind of my first kind of job here and i had school in the same time so it was pretty challenging
awesome place to work
Front End Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 July 2018
loved the environment and culture
had nice people to deal with
positive workplace
understanding of management
possibilities of growth
the place was not very busy though

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.