Sobeys Employee Reviews

Found 2,428 reviews matching the search See all 2,471 reviews
fun workplace
Produce Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sydney, NS14 November 2018
Typical day at work was greeting customers and helping with their needs
Workplace was very positive made coming into work very easy and wanted to work harder for the company
Syndicat contre les employers
Assembleur (Former Employee) –  Boucherville14 November 2018
Les syndicats ne protege meme pas les employers ils sont contre ... des clics par ci des clics par la
Pros
Fruit et legume gratuit pendant les pauses
Cons
Syndicats contre les employers
Please... do not work here.
Salad Bar Clerk (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON13 November 2018
I worked at Sobeys for just under a year, and I can say it was a complete waste of my time. My manager, who went out constantly for "smoke breaks" or to "check his tires" for at least 45 min each time, paid no attention to his employees. At first, i thought that it would be a good job. When it came to my own manager, he never scheduled me. I was a good employee - I showed up early and punched out late, always did my best and completed all of the tasks at hand. But when I went away for a week, I expected to come back to my regular schedule, but my name wasn't even on the paper. I kept on calling my manager to put me back up on the sheet, but he would only ever give me the next date to work. eventually, after I went to the store manager, I was on the sheet again. A few month went by and then, out of the blue, I wasn't on the schedule. I called multiple times but my manager was "in a meeting" or "on a smoke break". So, i decided to see how long it would take for them to notice. after 6 weeks went by i quit. Employees were great, but every other aspect of the store was a joke.
Pros
At least I got paid. Ish.
Cons
No benefits or discounts, At all, management doesn't care about you, schedule is on paper and not online.
Basketball
Grocery Stocker (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 November 2018
Whenever with of work or when it’s a holiday we make plans to play basketbal. Produce vs grocery we always have lots of fun with friends and family...
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Yes long hours
Great for young people
Part-time selector for Sobeys and TRA Atlantic (Former Employee) –  Oromocto, NB10 November 2018
Fast paced. Interesting and unique crew of guys working there. Not a fun or glamours job. But it paid the bills. It's terribly hard on your body and isn't for everyone.
Pros
fast paced
Cons
afternoon shifts
cashier/customer service
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 November 2018
Working on Cashier for a Part-time and I have a knowledge for the cashier and how to respect the customers and working with them. The reason for leaving the work because it is so far from my house and my college.
Cons
short hours
fast pace and enjoyable job- Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Herring Cove, NS10 November 2018
-Great people to work with
-fast pace and fun
- customers make the job
- possibility for moving up in company

Will take their time to train and get to know employees.
Pros
Free cooking classes monthly
Cons
Very fast pace when busy
Ok place, lots of room to move up.
Manager on Duty (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2018
Not a bad place to work, especially for young people looking to get into the workforce. Employees were good, and repeat customers who got to know you was a rewarding feeling. Would recommend if young, but not if trying to support a family.
Pros
Paid lunch breaks, structure
Cons
Stressful
Great people
Administrative Clerk-Produce (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 November 2018
Great people to work with. Kept busy work days. Working in the office was a great experience. Awesome workplace culture. Enjoyable environment to be a part of.
flexible
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON7 November 2018
This was a great place to work. They offer flexible hours and they work with your schedule. It is a good part time job if you are looking to learn new skills.

Want to know more about Sobeys?

Ask a question
loved my job at sobeys
Produce Worker carts and front end (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON5 November 2018
meeting people and working with people everyday was the best part of working at sobeys....i enjoyed the produce department...and carts...and grocery jobs i had there
Pros
friendly
Cons
nothing
Love when they have sample tables out so the customers could try new things.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB4 November 2018
out of all the grocery stores I've been to, Sobeys was the one place that had the best customer service. THE Best comes from there period. They also have free samples during special days of food you may not have tried before.
Pros
Free samples
Cons
Long lines at the cash registers
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Pelham, ON3 November 2018
Sobeys was a good place to work if you are the type of individual that enjoys working in customer service. However, the job can become quite repetitive. Sobeys is a great place when it comes to the flexibility of hours. In all, I would recommend this place to work if you are looking for a part-time job.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Repetitive, no opportunity for pay raise
Its a great job overall
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Stonechurch3 November 2018
I have been working at sobeys for about 9 months now, sobeys is top notch, full service and very cheerful people to be around, its a very good environment to those who come
yes there was table Succor on the Break time we use to play that it was so fun and time goes fast.
FORKLIFT OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB2 November 2018
It was good company for work but not for carrier I work there one position 12 years but nothing improved my Carrier and finally I decide I have to move forward for my future so I did it.
Pros
nothing free
Cons
sometimes we gonna have over time thats make me extra money.
great place
Cashier April (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB2 November 2018
Its a fun great place to work. I love working at my store. I am a part time Cashier.There's a lot of fun things to do but i only like to work and cover as many hours that i can to cover my expenses.
Good
Cook (Current Employee) –  London, ON1 November 2018
It is a job that returns what you put into it. If you want hours you need to work hard. My gig was only part time therefore, it wasn't great pay. It didn't offer much for growth in the company. But, it was a great placement while doing other things.
Fun, day went by fast
Cook/Prep (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC1 November 2018
Got to enjoy the costumers on a daily basis, as well as the coworkers. Learned a variety of different things regarding the safe handling and preparation of food.
Good friends but low benefits.
Cashier/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Okotoks, AB31 October 2018
Sobeys is a great place to make friends. You'll always find a nice group of people to work with and I find that makes the work environment allot easier. However, there is very little training. Too often people are just tossed into a responsibility without a proper degree of training. Very little communication leads to confusion. When confusing situations occur management personnel are not always understanding or respectful of fellow employees. The department budgets are unnecessarily restrictive. Some departments must use damaged equipment when money is scarce to buy more. Blame is placed on the wrong employees when such equipment such as food containers become cracked or warped. While there is some room for technical advancement. There is no pay scale. While some effort is made to keep everyone updated, even those who do advance must intuitively understand procedures that may change at any time without warning. Because of the lack of a proper pay scale. Some hard working individuals are doing the work of an upper level supervisor or even manager without appropriate pay. Such personnel are quite inappropriately paid very similar to lower level employees, even though it is one of the most successful stores in the province. I am forced to admit that I have made some mistakes during my employment there. However, I am highly creative and thoughtful. These are qualities I never got to tap into there. Sobeys is an incredibly stifling environment for me. I feel trapped there. However I love many of the people there and leaving was hard. If you are a powerful personality that adapts  more... quickly to that sort of environment than you will excel there. If not. You may want to find employment elsewhere.  less
Pros
Highy social environment
Cons
No training programs / few benefits
Absolutely loved this job
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Sylvan Lake, AB31 October 2018
Working for Sobeys Sylvan Lake has been nothing but a positive experience for me. The staff are welcoming and supportive, the hours were flexible. The work environment is friendly. I cannot speak highly enough of my time here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.