Sobeys

Sobeys Employee Reviews

Canada3,432 reviews
Found 3,432 reviews matching the search
Each store/department is going to be different in regards to managentment and with different hours that you can work. Overall, not a bad experience in regards to coworkers and management. However, you need to be able to sometimes deal with difficult customers, and need to be able to stand on your feet for long periods of time.
Pros
Flexible hours, vacation pay, available cross-departmental training, casual days, shirts and aprons are provided, there are work parties, departments communicate with each other well
Cons
Few/no advancement oppurtunities, minimum wage, must buy your own black dress pants, long stretches of time standing on feet, few/no benefits unless full-time, no employee discount
A typical day includes serving customers and solving their problems should they have any.
I have learned to have patience in difficult situations that come along with serving the public.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing smiles on my customer's faces after their issues are resolved quickly as well as catching up with regular customers and having a friendly relationship with them.
Pros
enjoyable staff
Cons
Demanding, standing for hours
I enjoyed working here and would recommend it, especially from a student perspective it was a great first job. There is definitely room to advancement at the company as they seem to hire from within for higher up positions. I loved all of my co-workers and overall the customers were fairly nice.
It was a good work place. The staff were amazing and kind. I had good experience with customers and co-workers. Overall, it was a good experience and I would love to work at an amazing place like that again.
A typical day at work is waiting for customers to come along while trying to make yourself busy. Most managers at Sobeys Cranston have grudges towards other managers and in turn do not treat all employees fairly (it depends on the department.)
A lot will be expected of you if you show them your best work, so your best bet is to 70% it. At my store it's really hard to get fired.
You have to be willing to work any shifts, any day of the week, unless you happen to get a really great and understanding manager.

The way the company works, is they promote from within. So if you kiss a lot of butts you can go far. Management gets paid very well for the little amount of work they're expected to do. But expect to be shuffled around to other stores once you sign that mgmt contract.

Company pushes away the best employees by telling them they're not good enough and they need to step up their game. They promote the absolute WORST qualities in their department managers (basically delegate tasks and psychologically manipulate your staff and you'll go far).

The amount of work you'll be expected to do, in addition to constantly being interrupted by serving customers is that of two people, but you sure won't get paid for it.

Company constantly makes the most backward decisions without consulting anyone at the store level. Half of the recipes and products that come down, you'd think they were made up by monkeys. AND FLAPS ON ALL THE COOLER DOORS? FOOD SAFETY NIGHTMARE.

A good choice for a last resort, though. It's way better than fast food.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Managers are awful
Well we’re at Sobey’s is very fast pace and there is a lot of things that you had to keep on top of where else you were far behind your timing was very important and you just had so many things going on at once that would get overwhelming for most but if you’re good with time in people then it’s a good job for you
This job was very fast paced in the Morning, you have to pay close attention to ensure that you do the job correctly. I worked constantly upstairs and in the freezer. So you have to be prepared and used to working in a cold environment.
Pros
Great Management, Fun, Teaches Work Ethic
Cons
Sometimes to fast paced, standing long periods, Constantly busy
If you chose to work here be ready to be on call all the time. Weekends off are rare. The pay is not enough for the amount of work they expect you to do.
Pros
Friendly co workers
Cons
Low pay
I worked at a very high-popularity store, whenever there were more than about 70 customers the pressure would get supermassive for a few minutes.

I typically got 24 to 32 hour weeks, and based on my observations it takes a minimum of 10 years to even have the smallest chance of getting a full-time position. Approx. 99.9% of workers will NEVER get ahead, this is the classic definition of dead-end job. They have a habit of scheduling a shift that ends at 11:30 PM with the next shift starting at 8:00 AM, barely giving you a chance to sleep.

Since they have many student workers, it is difficult to get time off that you want, though they usually gave me time off that I wanted around 40-70% of the time anyway.

With that said, the company is very good with safety, they always pay you for every single minute of your punch time, and I never had a single problem with pay at all. For those worried about getting paid on time, Sobeys is awesome for this, I got paid on time 100% of the time and I got every single penny I worked for.

My co-workers were generally really good to me. The bosses are under pressure and they sometimes show stress annoyance but generally I got along good with bosses too.

Overall, pretty decent company, but not much to gain. I recommend that you work here for no longer than 3 years. Good job if you need an extra job or if you have your mother supporting you like I do, but most definitely NOT a full career by any means.
Pros
Excellent building design, clean, great people, paid on time, good working equipment
Cons
Dead-end for 99.9% of workers, stress and panic during busy times
Working at Sobeys was a good job, I only found memorizing the codes for fruits and veggies hard. Management is a hit or miss but the co-workers are amazing and one of the reasons why I loved going to work. The pay is good and working during Covid gave us an extra $50 per week. Cons would be the lack of respect from customers and the long shifts when cleaning carts in the porch or around the store .
Pros
Co-workers, fair pay
Cons
Lack of customer respect, cleaning hours alone
It was okay, I wasn't completely clear on what everything did and what I was doing. I applied for one job and got another one I wasn't prepared for. I felt like there wasn't enough people in the job I didn't ask for (Cashier), and I just wanted to stock selves.
Pros
Hours are good.
Cons
Gave me a job I didn't apply for.
I have worked for Sobeys Thickwood for many years, and I overall enjoyed my time there. The staff were generally friendly and I liked talking to them, joking around, and the family like atmosphere. A typical day work for me was removing moldy, bad, unpleasant looking produce from the shelves and rotating product so older product was sold first. Cleaning bulk bins, cleaning display cases, making sure department was free of garage and clean looking. I've learned a lot, most importantly how terrible the place to work. Store manager is a terrible person, she is very rude, condescending, judgemental, aggressive, and a bully. The way she treats the assistant produce manager (who should be the department manager) is disgusting. She is rude to him, gossips about him, tells people not to listen to him when he knows more the actual produce manager who doesn't even know her own job very well or at all. Her treatment of one of the courtesy clerks is horrible too, she has belittled him in front of customers and staff. Her behavior is unprofessional, like when she called someone up to the general office with a room full of people and asked them in a rude and judgemental way why said person was on POF. Favoritism is blatant and obvious, despite store manager insisting she treats everyone the same (she doesn't). Moral around the store is low or non-existent, most people are there just for a pay check and nothing more. It's oppressive and like a totalitarian regime run by a dictator who can turn against you in a flash and make your life miserable. Management likes to promote the idea of "family", - more...
Pros
Most staff was cool, like to joke around to lighten the dark mood inside.
Cons
Store manager is terrible, managment is not very cohesive and doesn't function well
I worked at the sobeys warehouse for over 3 months until I was pretty much let go due to injury and average day there is depressing allot of the people there are just not like most regular functioning human beings and they go through people really fast there will mess up pay checks write you up for things you don’t even do I think it’s not the greatest but the pay is good that’s about it.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Beware of people who are jealous of your success they will do anything to sabotage your position including making up terrible stories, then running to head manager and convincing them by whatever means possible
Pros
Interaction with customers
Cons
rude people
This evaluation is based my personal experience which was under the contract of an agency. Therefore, I most mention that a permanent position at Sobeys delivers a fair pay, good benefits and a stable job. Because my contract had the be reviewed and resign by Sobeys every months, I did not stay a long time.
This business does not know how to cooperate with their staff. Staff is mistreated and only their to get the job done then to go home. Training was two weeks and you could barely take off. One of the time my coworker had to go see a friend in the hospital our manager told her she had to find somebody to take her shift when nobody could the manager didn’t care. She quit the next day. I know lots of their coworkers wuit for the mistreatments and unfairness.
Pros
Money
Cons
They’re horrible to their employees
Idk if itll show my wage but its 13.60 its terrible
Dont work in the front end. A department of dead carcasses trying to maintain their high school prime of top dog in the social food chain. This of course applies to the entire store, though the front end is especially notorious for this for this kind of behaviour, whether it be due to the type of person being hired or the toxic environment instantiated by management. Your raises are erased by min wage increasing, more job duties for no increase in pay, conspiracy against one another to obtain more hours or just for the fun of it. Look at my hourly pay, I've been there for 5 years and had to fight to get a 50 cent bump in pay after 3 years lmao
Pros
Some decent people youll meet
Cons
The entire system, you'll hate your life
Very few chances to promote. Sometimes, in particular departments getting hours is very difficult. Overall, working environment is very good. Good learning opportunities.
Constant turnover within supervisory and management positions gives zero stability to groundlevel workforce, constantly trying to prove to someone new that you have any clue how to do your job, constant buckpassing where any worksite issue passes through so many hands it may as well be a game of telephone. This place is borderline criminal with how little responsibility anyone takes, do not bother, it doesnt even help the resume, they refuse to give references, so this is NOT the way to get to a better deli/bakery/butcher/anything really, its just a garbage job and a waste of time. I was let go by someone I have never met, and never spoken to, for following the advice of the assistant GM that had just transferred, which somehow rubbed the new assistant GM the wrong way, it was a pretty common sense thing as well, he got hot that I felt I was not wrong, and I was let go for violating the respectful workplace policy without ever been accused of any form of harassment or assault physical or verbal, they do not need to prove anything, a mistaken or well intentioned witness is taken as gospel, regardless of what even the victim may say, nothing mitigates the inital witness concern employees are obligated to report any potential violation or may be disciplined equally and what they say is documented as fact, without any ammendments. Apparently if a senior staff member has any sort of negative impression of you, founded or not, you will be on the fasttrack to looking for a new job, do not bother.
Pros
Don't seem to run out of money, so the cheques never bounced.
Cons
Sobeys will not give a reference as some sort of ploy, the longer you're here the harder it is to leave, and you should hit the paltry pay cap for whatever position you have within 2-3 years, no permanent full time staff, after 10-15 years you might get salaried.
Ils ne cherchent pas à avoir une ligne d'employés stable. D'ailleurs, patron n'est pas très agréable et très très peu professionnel même s'il donne cette impression de professionnalisme au début. Ne pensez pas rentrer pour y rester si c'est avec un poste étudiant ! Dernièrement, le fonctionnement de cet entreprise est très mal gérer ! "C'est gérer tout croche".
Pros
Horraire de jour
Cons
La direction