Sobeys

Sobeys: 3,951 Employee Reviews

Canada3,951 reviews

Found 3,951 reviews matching the searchSee all 4,034 reviews
grocerystorebakerycustomerdelimeatcashiershift

It all depends on who is running the location you are working at.

I have worked at many locations and up until 2021 when my last location closed for rebranding, I'd say I had a great experience! My store had such an Amazing team. I also worked for management that expects you to work long hrs with zero benefits sometimes no breaks.

Pros

Decent pay, good environment if you have a good manager

Cons

Long hours, hard work, lots of heavy lifting

Good for first job

Fair pay for entrance job, poor work life balance. Great people, some good management others not skilled at their positions. Would be a good job for students after school or while working through post secondary.

Insights into Sobeys

Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Fair pay for job

Fasted paced

If your looking for a fast paced job that makes the day fly by, then Sobeys is the place for you. Working behind a cash all day can be exhausting, but luckily majority of the days are very busy and the customers just keep coming which makes it a lot easier.

Hard work. Good people. Low pay

You’ll have great friends, but the pay is minimal. Company is very cheap and won’t give out wage increases. If you want to move up in the business you can.

Need to be sociable. Very nice place to work. The people were wonderful.

Made a lot of friends who started as customers that came through my line every week. I enjoyed working with everyone that worked there also. My hours worked very well for me. Just a great place to work.

Pros

Time went by very quickly because you were always interacting with people all the time.

Slow work place, coworkers are not the best

I don't get enough hours to live therefore my pay is poor. Coworkers are sometimes rude and have no respect for others. There's been yelling matches and no respect for personal space

Cons

Not enough hours, rude coworkers

Very busy, high paced environment.

Sobeys can be a fun place to work but the management and supervisors are terrible. Management will put you down in front of customers. Charlotte in particular is very difficult to work with. She is a micro manager, who often gets in the way of progress. Your value is underestimated and they only seem to keep employees who lack the skills required. When supervisors are allowed to swear and yell at you it's unacceptable but it happens all the time. Very unprofessional atmosphere.

Pros

Pick your hours.

Cons

Management isn't forward thinking, doesn't see potential and is very unprofessional.

Terrible stressful

I worked at Sobeys for over 7 yrs. I loved it at first then you realize if you're not a favorite then your out of luck. I worked hard and never was reganized as such...then time passes you get stabbed in the back and then fired ....

It was pretty standard for a large corporate business

There were many employees and yet everybody seemed to know everybody's names, which was nice.I had to set up an appointment to ask where my tax slips were, to find they were on a website they never told me about, let alone set me up with. That was less nice and took an hour to make it so I could access my account. That was less nice.

Pros

Most of management was quite nice

Cons

Very impersonal workplace overall

Worst Grocery Store in The Country

All I will say is, the bigger the corporation you work for, the less they value you as a person. Don't work for Sobeys if you want your managers to manage, your supervisors to effectively supervise, or your coworkers to take you seriously. Don't work for Sobeys if you want to make enough money to live. Don't work for Sobeys if you value being your own person.

Company doesn't care

Sobeys and safeway don't care about employees. Don't waste your time. Horrible company to work for. Low pay. They try not to hire full time employees so that they can work part time employees like full timers with no benefits

Pros

Cons

To many to list

Fair work

Very good company . I like to work there.very nice job culture. Supervisors are good. Breaks are paid. And you can get overtime when required. Very nice.

Productive workplace

Enjoyable work environment and management is very considerate. The people were wholesome and the work wasn't too stressful, especially with all the help that you get while working.

Workplace Environment

The workplace environment is lacking collaboration, positive work environment, and good management. Anytime I go into work, there are very few staff members that I want to work with. Everyone else is very depressing, and always down (talking about how they always want to leave and find a different job). When I work with my boss, they make it a more stressful environment which dampens the moral lower.

really nice people

the people there are all pretty nice, very helpful. based on the starting pay this is a good job for a high school student or supplemental income, depending on your hours. 10 percent discount, I believe. plus you always knew when the good stuff is getting discounted

Management isn't great

When I started working everyone was very nice and helpful but as I had been working there longer I started to notice that I was getting treated different than when I started. I was also informed that a coworker was making up lies and trying to make me look bad, this went on for months until I decided to talk to the manager . When I went to management they just yelled at me and said "figure it out or there's the door".

Cons

Poor management

Horrible place to work no respect for there workers

Horrible job treat everyone like dirt no compassion no appreciation totally disgusting, didn't like it at all totally overworked never home total joke absolutely Discusting

Pros

Cons

Lots

Great co workers

Hard to move up in the company it seems like, management can be a toss up depending on where you work. Co-workers were the best part of the job and having to work as a team

Work Environment

I work from home. Other members of my team are spread across the country. Work independently resolving support tickets assigned by the manager. Good pay. Good benefits.

No surprises

Worked at the old warehouse as they transitioned to the new warehouse in Campbell heights, was a good place to work for, management was decent, put your 8 hours in with no issues then go home. I advanced in the short few months I was there to get a more preferred shift. I had the opportunity to learn the machines but I preferred the repetative simple task of picking. I left to pursue another opportunity but soon realized I regretted ever leaving. Be prepared for an early start or night shift, and not having full weekends off to start. Good benefits after 3 months, unionized position.

Pros

Leave your work behind, decent management

Cons

Same work every day

Sucks

Worst place to work for, ever.Dont applyBeware.Terrible management. Backstabbers, liars, gossip No raises.No roon for advancementand plays favouritism

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement