Sobeys Employee Reviews

Good job for a young person.
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Acton, ON20 April 2018
Solid hours and large workforce to interact with. Opportunities to move up into higher positions with better salary. Lots of options and departments to work in.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Repetitive duties
Good place to work with good people and best receiving team
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 April 2018
It was my first experience in Canada. I started to work without knowing English. The supervisors and team really helped me to adapt there. I left this job because I have moved from Calgary.
Pros
Best team
Cons
Night shift
Over Worked and Under Paid
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Stellarton, NS19 April 2018
I worked for this company for many years. It was an amazing place to work at first. If you are smart and show interest in learning, you will end up doing the work of 3 people and get poorly paid for one. People are only really nice to you if you help them with their work but be careful, it very easily will become your work along with all of the problems with it from long before you came to the company. Forget pay raises, they are a joke. Forget good performance reviews, no matter how much you do, it will never be enough to warrant a good review. Forget life, overtime is not optional it's required to keep up. Sometimes unpaid overtime is required. You will go to work in the dark and go home sometime before the next morning. Forget getting help with problems that arise, that's your issue to take care of and if you get it wrong, you will be reminded of it repeatedly for years. You must be a mind reader, it's an unspoken job requirement. Forget needing time off for your kids or appointments, you'll have to beg for it and most likely be denied. Each manager sets their own rules, HR policies mean nothing. If you know or become friends with the right people you will do ok. If you don't, forget advancement. You are treated like a child. It's very much a high school setting where the popular rise and the rest don't. Also, great place if you want to be talked about behind your back by your manager and team lead....and their friends so forget confidentiality too.
Pros
met some very nice people
Cons
don't get me started
Not the best
Bakery Clerk & Coffee Bar Barista (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON19 April 2018
Bad management. Do not care about you and only care about the company. If you call in sick even with cover or enough notice they will cut your shifts even if it is your first time. Also an unethical company.
decent place to work but not for life
Edmonton - Customer Care Rep (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 April 2018
I enjoyed working for Sobeys Head office but there was not a lot of room for advancement and sadly the company moved to Calgary. If I had the oppourtunity to work for corperate head office again I would
great co workers, fun and room for growth
Bakery Clerk, produce, grocery and cashier (Former Employee) –  Sundre, AB17 April 2018
I really enjoyed working at Sobeys the managers are reasonable and I felt like family. I made many friends and learned in many departments. they provided great customer service and helped train me to provided great service. I learned so much in hospitality working at Sobeys in sundre that I now compare experiences in different stores.
Pros
advancement
Cons
some drama
Entreprise de choix
Conseillère Points de vente (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Est, QC17 April 2018
J'ai travaillé plusieurs années au bureau chef et j'ai beaucoup apprécié mon expérience. L'entreprise et ma patronne de cette époque m'ont permis d'évoluer et de grandir dans un milieu professionnel stimulant durant le début de ma vingtaine!
Pros
Salaire, évolution.
Great work experience
Front End Worker (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 April 2018
I did this job for a work experience class in school and found it really introduced me to a great work environment. The people were very caring and kind.
Horrible pharmacy manager
Pharmacy tech (Current Employee) –  Paris, ON16 April 2018
Everyone really nice except for the manager in the pharmacy is horrible with clients and staff.
She made my life terribleand I've never been treated so horribly. She is a miserable mean human
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No one did anything about her attitude
amazing co workers and great place to work.
Deli clerk (Current Employee) –  Dunnville, ON16 April 2018
Sobeys in dunnville is a wonderful place to work. Everyone is welcoming and helpful and always there when you need them. Being a part time employee, I just find I haven't been getting a lot of hours.
Don’t ever work at head office
Shared Services (Former Employee) –  Stellarton, NS16 April 2018
Working at head office is like high school all over again. People are only nice to you if you know the right people. You’ll only get ahead if you kiss the right rear ends.

You can pretty much guarantee that you’ll be doing the job of at least two people and receive the pay for only one of them. There is no work life balance. Working on weekends is common and necessary if you want to stay caught up.

I wasted years of my life there and it was a terrible mistake.
Pros
The benefits are okay
Cons
Pretty much everything else
Good Place to work during College
DELI CLERK (Current Employee) –  Moncton, NB15 April 2018
Very nice people and amazing environment to work in. It can be stressful at times but management always works around your schedule. Training was a good experience as well, you get plenty of time to get comfortable
Pros
Good Breaks, Friendly Staff
Cons
Stressful at times
Great Company to work for
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Stettler, AB14 April 2018
I like working at Sobeys but since my husband was injured they keep cutting my hours so right now I need to find something else to continue paying my bills. I also had some health issues which I have taken care of.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Lately feels like we are working in a prison
Good company
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB13 April 2018
- Good work hours
- Light job for students
- ok in general
- management is okay in general
- short breaks
- irregular work hours if new
- good workers/ employees
Great Team
Regional Procurement Manager (Former Employee) –  Palm Beach County, FL13 April 2018
Excellent buying team, great location. A great place to understand the different needs of the Canadians with 9 different distribution center located throughout the country.
part time hours for students and first time jobs
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2018
a good place to start off work especially when you are just getting out of high school. A great place to make relationships with others and work on customer service.
Frontend Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2018
Had a great time with Sobeys Edmonton. Management is good , make you comfortable while working specially store manager. Always co-operate whenever you need. Co- workers are excellent , always willing to help. I wish I go back and join them again. It is like a second home to work.
Pros
Good management
Cons
no words
Large break room and very friendly people!
Baker (Former Employee) –  Westlock, AB10 April 2018
I really liked working at Sobeys in my youth, however, I wanted to be more interactive with people and I always wanted to lifeguard. It was just time to change carriers. The owner was very kind but the management was poor and their was a large power distance there. It was my first job and I would recommend to young teens.
Pros
10% off
Cons
Managment
Easy job
Supermarket Cashier (Former Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON10 April 2018
Working in sobeys was a fun experience as it was an easy job was that you had to be standing all the time during your shift and some important things are not taught during training.
Struggle to keep up
Labourer (Former Employee) –  edmonton10 April 2018
The culture is based on like school programme and not real work environment. Its a busy environment but with high employee turn-over. There is no team work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sobeys. Our community is ready to answer.