Sobeys Liquor Employee Reviews

fun environment
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  red deer, AB6 March 2019
a typical day was serving customers while making sure the store was clean and the customers were happy and dealing with cash and making sure the till balanced at the end of your shift
Pros
comfortable uniforms
Cons
no cons
Fun place to work at times
Shift Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 January 2019
Needs security. Fun place to work but can get overwhelming at times. Between helping customers, running till and watching out for shoplifters its a lot.
It was a wonderful place to work
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB16 November 2018
My day was always kept busy. Customers and other staff were great to talk with and had were excellent colleges. Job involved some heavy lifting but was nothing over 25 pounds.
very productive and fun place to work
Cashier/Key holder (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB14 November 2018
i enjoyed my time here. the staff made coming to work fun and the management was very accommodating when it came to the balance of work life and home life. its definitely been a while since i was employed by this establishment but when i was there communication between employees was sometimes an issue. It has been a while since i have been at the sobeys WSCB and thats not to say they could have fixed the communication issue between employees.
It's oK
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 September 2018
Not enough hours, not reliably managed. It's a standard working class job - great people, but no possible way to build a life out of it. A lot of heavy lifting, plus constant threat from thieves.
Fun workplace, Productive and great team.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 September 2018
A typical day at Sobeys was relaxing, fun, energetic and completely surrounded by great team members. Learned a lot about management and how to behave and co-ordinate with critical and stressful situations at times. Customer service should be the first priority and that is what I'm focusing on since I have worked with Sobeys.
Thing I have learned from Sobeys Inc.:
2 Rules.
#1- The customer is always correct.
#2- If the customer is wrong, apply rule #1.
Pros
You can take couple extra breaks for like 10 mins if the store is slow.
Cons
Honestly, couldn't find any.
productive and fun environment
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB24 August 2018
working in sobeys liquor store is fun because as a customer service associate I get to know more people, help them out and it helps my communication skills.
Fun and schedule flexible
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB29 May 2018
At Sobey's liquor there was always a good laugh and the people I worked with had a great relationship with me and I got along with everyone. That goes along with my team player title.
a fun place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Calgary,AB10 May 2018
I loved working at sobeys liquor. it was a fast and fun place to work customer where always happy with help and I enjoyed learning new thing. most hard thing was when you have to refuse customer to sell liquor to them then they get all mad.
Great place to start learning
Manager / Key Holder (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, AB14 March 2018
• also keeping busy
• learning new skills everyday
• management was a problem never stayed long
• great staff to work with
• long hours has a manager
• meeting new people
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Great entry-level job, but also has great opportuntues to advance into a career.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB6 March 2018
Sobeys Liquor is a good retail job, but it is much more than that. There is so much variety in the workload. Each member is able and expected to run checkouts, stock shelves, help receive and out out orders, build displays, and more. The variety alone is appreciated and helps combat the monotony often associated with retail jobs.
There are opportunities to meet so many interesting people and to learn a lot about beers, wines, and spirits (especially helpful if one is looking for a career in hospitality).
Advancement in the company is achievable and linear, and anyone with full-time hours can apply for benefits.

I definitely enjoy this job; it is to date the best job I've ever had.
Pros
Monthly employee coupons . . .
Cons
. . . for only select items.
Poor management and tedious non rewarding work
Key holder / Clerk (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB9 February 2018
Bad place to work due too poor compensation and even worse management. Higher ups seem to not care about employees much and the work is repetitive and annoying with little to no life skills learned.
Pros
Cons
Low pay, poor management, low team morale
Cashier/Customer service (Current Employee) –  Chestermere, AB1 February 2018
Enjoy meeting and helping out customer. manage the store and good friendly staff I work with.. but looking for full time position and a better pay. Working in Chestermere is really nice as I stay 5 minutes away from workplace and the community is very friendly.

I am very committed to my job and like to do different duties at work. With a background with loads of work knowledge and experience makes it easy to learn and I like to learn and use my skills in different fields. lots of knowledge about different alcohol and never think that there is so much in the industry. This has been a great exposure and an experience.

Retail working has been a new for me in these last 2 years and I enjoy every day, every shift I work, but still want to explore more as I am very capable of learning new skills. If given an opportunity for an interview I will surely be very excited and appreciative.

Working as a cashier at the store has made my customer skills quiet good and a big time confidence with people. Once a week we receive new stock and it is quiet a rough shift but overall it is always fun and a great team effort.

Also, I do evening shifts which are not very favorable with my family time and I am looking for a normal day shift.

Thank you, Thank you!!
Okay
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 January 2018
Long term staff will give you better quality service if rewarded for all that they've done instead being discouraged to provide quality service when not rewarded. Consistently making good schedules regarding hours and keeping in mind availablility would help as well.
Co - workers where good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 December 2017
Working at the liquor store was not a good fit for me personally, the co-workers that i had where pleasant as well as my manager. there wasn't any big issues while working there
Great people
Key Holder/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 November 2017
The job is great hrs suck as sometimes unfair
I think they need to spread and space out shift to make them fair instead of same people doing the same shift all the time.
Pros
The people you work with
Cons
Stupid hrs
A Laid Back Job
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB9 November 2017
Working at Sobeys was never difficult. We had our shipment days which were probably the most work but mostly in the sense of just heavy lifting. But the staff were very laid back and everyone generally had a good time.
Pros
Laid Back Enviroment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB24 October 2017
Good people to work with. Lots of heavy lifting. Decent pay as well.
Good place to learn how to deal with difficult customers. Management is very good in providing everyone with fair hours.
good for the most
Cashier / Customer service (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB28 September 2017
from the start it was a good work environment. every one was good to work with and friendly. however the enthusiasm at work deteriorated as the management changed and we got some people who did not really inspire confidents from there employees.
Pros
frendly co-workers
Cons
did not all ways get the best managers
Relaxed environment, competent coworkers, good company
Retail Clerk (Current Employee) –  Beaumont, AB25 September 2017
The workplace is very relaxed most of the time but it's a job that hard to balance between work and life, but I can say that the people you get to work with are great and are very friendly, and you get to meet lots of colorful characters while work at the register.
Pros
Realaxed, no set breaks, friendly environment, helps with social skills.
Cons
Awkward hours, part time only (unless you are management), ok pay.