SNC-Lavalin logo
SNC-Lavalin

SNC-Lavalin Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Found 26 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,460 reviews

Lots of brains here

As long as there are projects great place to work, but if not....Multiple interesting assignments availableInternational opportunities if inferested.Nice office location in Vancouver

Pros

RRSP matching, Share matching

Cons

No free parking for non managerail staff downtown Vancouver

Department Coordinator

Management was a double standard in the interview was mentioned that on occassion I could work from home then when I did during the snow fall I was told that I was not allowed to be doing that only other employees were allowed

Great team and manager

Hard-workers will love this company. The processes are much more complicated than other company but you also learn a lot from how bigger company does things. Great team to work along with. Even though there are heavy over time, at least the team is working along with you and we had a great team and manager.

Pros

Strong learning curve for future

Cons

Long hours during month end

Interesting exposure to various projects, but lack of internal growth path

Very corporate culture in the company. There feels to be a detachment from the executives to the employees. Although there are big and interesting projects, but work has strong silo tendency between department and lack of collaboration.

3 p woes

The Canada line is a subsidiary of SNC Lavalin so it feels an awful lot like being a child in the middle of a bad divorce. Too much red tape and management lacks experience. The job is very stressful and there is a lack of empathy for employees who struggle. There is a disconnect because the parent company has no clue what we actually do daily. They are corporate and we are union. It’s a struggle.

Productive with new additions to the job through performance review

A typical day was very high energy. I learned a lot because the employer believed in upgrading education according to the position. The hardest part of the job was the travel time to the job. The most enjoyable was the data entry I was able to help with providing stats .

Pros

Steady Increases

Cons

Long Hours

Very corporate and non trustworthy management

The employees are always an after thought in any decision that is made at the corporate office in Montreal. False promises on promotions and wage increases are frequent and decisions by management are questionable at best. Any job that is bid on is done so at the lowest possible cost just to win the job. IF (big IF) the bid is successful they will then hope to not lose money.

Pros

Flexible hours

Cons

Pay grade

Getting into the company scandal

I don’t blame people nowadays will loose their trust and moral to the company, after they are involved in a tremendous anomalies of corruption to the Canadian Governments.. I feel discomfort working in this company as my reputation will become a trademark of dishonesty..

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Lack of management

Fun and profesional workplace

SNC Lavalin is an international engineering company that has built many highly technological advanced transport and infrastructure systems. They are highly qualified in the power delivery services and provides the full EPCM range of services. I thoroughly enjoyed my colleagues and enjoyed a greate relationship with our one client. That is the problem. When that client does not contract work out then the company lays people off. In this way they have lost some excellent talent to the rest of Canada and the US. The employees are very welcoming and supporting. Company events are fully sponsored and reasonable time is allowed to be taken off. Great benefits but no bonus

Pros

Challenging career opportunities

Cons

Unstable workload which can lead to lay-offs

Not Worth the time. Engineering Jobs will soon be outsourced to India just like IT.

Coorporate decided to outsource IT to India and they laid off a massive amount of Collegues in Canada. They just joined Atkins and with their Engineering center in india most of the work will be outsourced as well. This has already started with Canadian Projects already being done there. Management style is based on a Fireman approach put the fires out as they come along. No real long term planning, senior management spends a lot of money at conferences for themselves but they dont invest much in the people who actually do the work.. Work environment is ok, nothing to brag about. Our Head office is in Montreal and when they dont have work they come this way to steal work from locals and they do it in a very bullish way. This company strength is a lot of finacial backing but as far as a well managed company goes, it is certainly not.

Pros

Nice Office

Cons

Low Salary, Bad management, Terrible Head office attitude and Benefits were downgraded last year.

Jobs at SNC-Lavalin

in Vancouver, BC
See more jobs

Caring and excellent.

Excellent Work place to work with Management has very high vision Constant in mode of business expansion. Very professional and care taking management

Pros

Advancement

Cons

Big organisation

It was a Learning Experience.

The work place was enjoyable with the crew I had. We achieved a lot, but the Management is no management at all. I had a though time with arrogant people.

Pros

Good crew

Cons

Very bad Management

Nightmarish Hellscape

The worst company I have ever worked for, by a country mile. Rampant nepotism, a poisonous office culture, leading to dispirited, morose employees. A prevailing atmosphere of despair and hopelessness,

Pros

Central location of corporate office

Cons

Literally everything else

Good management but salary doesn't match with the high living expenses.

There are many kind people working in the group, and I am appreciated working with them. I learned to embrace everyone's opinion and try not to discourage their effort. Managers are very kind-hearted people, they will listen to employee's development needs. There are many coworkers that are very helpful when I ask questions. And when they encountered difficulties, I always help them back. The hardest part of the job will be maintaining my life quality with the salary that I got, I can barely pay my bills, the supervisor mentions that they cannot control how much employee got, only HR can decide how much employee can get. HR doesn't understand how difficult the employee's low pay affecting their live quality, and they will always cut down the increase of salary. No matter how much effort the employee is putting towards company's development. The most enjoyable part of the job are I can help with other coworkers to solve their technical problem and they appreciated my help. Also I am able to learn new drafting technique with company approved program.

Pros

Learning Opportunities, good managers, very friendly people

Cons

Low pay that doesn't match with high living expenses

Great team work

They had great leader ship and mentoring programs. Acomplished a lot as a team. I have worked in construction for many years yet had not built a light rail transit system before. The supervisors and the senoir experienced members of the team showed us step by step how to efficiently and safly accomplish the tasks at hand. I would work for them again for sure.

Pros

Felt like a member of the team

Cons

Short term employment

Productive and friendly employees.

The company helps me elevate my position from project coordinator to field engineer. Give more opportunity to learn new ideas, concepts and construction techniques.

Pros

Bonuses

Cons

Long Hours

Restructuring and Changing Direction of T&D Division

Being a Team Lead to provide guidance and training the Expediting team on processes and responsibilities. Generate, analyze and update material availability status on the Expediting Report Follow-up on materials availability with BC Hydro Materials Management Business Unit (MMBU) Manage releasing and shipping materials with suppliers and MMBU Coordinate with engineers and suppliers on material testing before releasing and shipping materials to construction site Follow- up with suppliers on shipping schedule to meet material arrival dates Investigate missing and/or damaged materials and arrange re-shipment Receiving materials in BC Hydro PassPort System and PM+ System Coordinate material returns from construction contractors and suppliers Pressure to ship materials to site asap. Being able to meet timelines of material delivery.

Professional with social

Drawing check and mark-ups Professional development Great team work Rewarding Effective team work Equal oppertunity

care health and safety of employees

• co-workers are well educated and experienced. • the work is easy to handle.

Motivating and Challenging

Working with the client was very challenging at times but with my good communication I was able to satisfy all their needs. At some point the client requested my name in particular to manage their projects ( new assignment) because they trusted me on achieving the time and budget that they allocated for that program

Lots of Contract Work

If you're hired on contract it is difficult to move up, or progress in your career.

Pros

Salaries

Cons

Contractor/temp work environment on projects

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SNC-Lavalin. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3Job security/advancement