SNC-Lavalin

SNC-Lavalin Employee Reviews in St. John's, NL

Found 9 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,471 reviews

Good at putting out fires.

Management doesn't know a lot about their business but doing the best they can. Fair salary and benefits. Good work life balance. Left alone for the most part which is good if you know what you're doing.

Stressful workplace, do not want to pay for training for you to advance in their company

Stressful workplace. They not want to pay for training for you to advance in their company (ie government certification which would make you more qualified for your job). When they advertise for a “offshore NDT position” make sure you get it in writing that you will be on a three on three off rotation (which they will not do, and this will be your red flag that this position doesn’t actually exist and you will be in a call out position “ADHOC”) as all the regular rotation positions are filled. ADHOC positions could possibly be called out once every few months or more. On shore “NDT” positions consists of a 95% visual labor intensive job pulling slings (metal wire rope) with very little actual NDT work. Management (onshore job) will lie to you and say when there’s no NDT work you will be doing visual inspections in the sling yard which will be 95% of the time as this is most/all the onshore work they have.

Pros

Nice coworkers.

Cons

Horrible management

No work

They were a great company in the beginning. Management seemed to care. They only care about their own needs not the needs of their employees they don't look at other peoples needs

Pros

salary is ok

Cons

Work snow days when everyone is off

ok

This was a part time job working when the weather was good as the position was an outside position. Company worked on a contract basis and if the didn't get a contract your job may be in jeopardy

Pros

friendly

Cons

no job security

Project Muskrat Falls

This was a very exciting and interesting position and it was very stressful as well. The Company verses the Client situation was at times volatile. At the end, the Client took over and there were lay offs due to some shortages of work.

Pros

Money

Cons

Stressful

Great Work Environment

My experience there was very rewarding. I had strong leadership and great support to execute my role. I was well mentored and given opportunity to shadow my leadership to prepare for the next level in my career.

Position in NL both management & collegues were extremely helpful & supportive.

I was hired in Calgary, AB on contract but agreed to become permanent within a year. A position became available in St. John's, NL shortly afterwards & as I'm from NL, I requested consideration. It was agreed that I would be on loan for two years. This was extended to three years. A typical day was always busy. I learned how to participate/conduct meetings with Suppliers. Even though it was a fast paced environment everyone there, management included were very helpful & friendly. The hardest part of the job was keeping on top of manufacturing, inspection & transportation schedules to ensure on time deliveries. Learning about the equipment requirements for a new industry - Power. Best part was renewing old friendships & making new ones.

Pros

Being a part of a great project

Cons

Having to leave wheen my term was completed.

Team Environment

Organized, Functional and overall well balanced place to work. Good international opportunities if you are willing to take them

A professional atmosphere where I practice my line of work.

A regular day at work, I would go in at 8am to check in than I would proceed to the construction site I was assigned. I would make regular walks through the site and make sure everything is in order and everything is done correctly. Some of the jobs that are completed I would have to check and make sure it is done correctly. Every company has its own rules and regulation, although most companies would have the same because they would have to follow the Canadian standards. What I mean by this is for example the amount of compaction the aggregate needs to be in order to place sidewalk cement over it, another example would be the amount of manholes and catch basins to have and their locations. My group of co-workers were great. Everyone was very nice and very easy to approach. I did not find my job difficult at all and I enjoyed my entire time working with SNC-Lavalin.

Jobs at SNC-Lavalin