SMS Equipment Inc.

SMS Equipment Inc. Employee Reviews

Good job great wage

Loved the job You are expected to keep your area cleaned everything organized make sure the mechanics have what they need and the parts dept have what they need shipping receive unload equipment etc.but unfortunately got caught up in a downturn and was low man on seniority list laid off and never went back. You have to have whimis, dangerous goods, and forklift ticket preferable warehouseman ticket from college.

One of the good ones

Exciting work environment; Exceptionally talented coworkers; Freedom to create and push boundaries; Good clients with decent sized budgets; Interesting projects; Plenty of support; Opportunities for growth

Constant improvement

The company made a lot of improvements before I left. Even though I’m no longer there, I left on amicable terms and I’m excited about the direction of the company’s future. I would recommend SMS to anyone looking for work they can feel proud of.

So far, so good

I haven’t been with the company for very long, but from what I can see so far, it seems like a good place to work. Management is friendly enough and everyone gets along without any drama or arguments. The work itself is easy enough. You just need to consider yourself a “people person” and have a lot of patience. But that’s true of any customer service job.

High earnings potential for hard workers

SMS pays higher than its competitors because it expects a lot more from its Techs. They want us to not only do our job well, but take pride in our work – we’re paid to treat each and every project like we were doing it for our closest friends and family. You have to be ready to put in the extra work, and you have to know your stuff inside and out, which is why it’s not a great fit for everyone. But I love it here and wouldn’t want to work anywhere else.

Management do right by their staff

It isn’t hard to catch the attention of your superiors. Daily challenges are a given but at least they serve the purpose of keeping you sharp. The environment is safety conscious. You know you’re in good hands when you’re working here.

Moving forward one day at a time

I didn’t/don’t have a lot of experience and they still pay me more than I think I’m worth. It’s a good deal on my part. We’ve yet to see if it’s going to pan out for them haha all joking aside you’ll be hard pressed to find a better employer.

My time at SMS Equipment

Even though the company has been around for a while now, there are still plenty of opportunities to make yourself invaluable to the company if you have the drive, motivation, and talent to go after what you want. For the right people, there’s about a dozen or so ways to work your way up through the ranks. If you can prove you’re the best one for the job, management is more than happy to put their best players in the game. I’ve experienced more than my fair share of promotions and pay raises since starting with the company, but I’m not going to suggest it’s easy. The people who succeed the most here are the ones who have the right attitude towards hard work. A lot of people come in wanting all of the success without having to do any of the work, and they find out pretty quick that that’s not how things go down here at SMS. Management is fair and they do a great job at running things and keeping up with any changes in the industry. They’re not perfect, and there’s a few people on the management team who aren’t my favorite. But, overall, whether I like them or not I have a lot of respect for them. Probably because they don’t demand respect, they earn it. There isn’t a single job in the company that, combined, they haven’t all held at one point or another. They aren’t just suits, they actually know what they’re talking about. Thankfully COVID didn’t affect our business as much as it could have. Things were touch and go for a minute there, but they’re starting to return to normal and I couldn’t be happier to get back to an onslaught of clients with projects to work on. I feel -

Good pay and benefits

Lots of work and little to no down time. Time always flies by. More often than not I don’t even feel like I’ve worked an entire shift because I’m constantly on the move. Best part of this job is that I never get bored.

Never a dull moment

Exposure to various pieces of equipment. Experiences I wouldn’t have had access to anywhere else. Leadership that understands the daily plight of a field service mechanic. They give you the tools you need to succeed with no huff or no fuss.

Jobs at SMS Equipment Inc.

See more jobs

Really good if you’re a great fit

The environment is friendly and the staff are easy to work with. SMS values their staff and will help to develop you professionally. If you want to advance your way up the ladder you can do it, though it takes hard work and lots of grit to get there.

Horrible place

Way to much favouritism, just horrible management from the top down. The worst place I’ve ever seen for this!! The management here has no clue how to manage, each department is out to screw over the other department, it’s a very toxiplave to work.

Pros

Pay and shift

Cons

Everything else!!

Top notch experience

Was a cool gig that paid my bills and gave me job security for over three years. Sad I had to go but a better opportunity came my way and I would have been a fool to have let it pass me by. Still the best job I’ve had to date. We’ll just have to see where my career takes me in the future.

Great people across the board

So far so good. The people, the environment, even the work itself makes me actually want to come in to work every day. I’m really loving the vibe here. I get a sense that some people don’t like the way management runs things but I think they’re doing just fine.

Unfair treatment & favouritism

If you don’t party with upper management or brown nose you won’t last here. This place is very toxic. It’s disorganized with inexperienced supervisors, out of touch upper management, HR is biased, high stress job with no recognition for your efforts. Pay was decent but not worth working here. If you’re not in their click, they get rid of you and keep their brown nosers.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Too many to list

Great first job experience

I started working at SMS straight out of school. I learned a lot while working here, not only about the company and my job duties, but also what it means to have a good work ethic and make yourself valuable within a company.

Safety first

Very safe workplace environment. Got good work/life balance. Flexible time schedule and shifts. All regulations are 100% followed 100% of the time. Highly recommended.

A+ experience

Yup, definitely doesn’t have a “every man for himself” type of mentality. We either win together or we lose together but we never leave a man behind. If you don’t know how to collaborate before you get hired you’ll learn quickly.

Love working here

No abuse in the work place. No yelling, discrimination, or off the cuff snide comments. It’s a great place to work with a lot of flexibility to do your job without an overbearing amount of managerial oversight.

Best job I’ve ever had

It only took me a few months to feel like I’ve been doing this for years. I’m not exaggerating. The training and experience are world class!!! It all came so naturally to me. Had lots of help from my colleagues too. As the title says, it’s the best job I’ve ever had.

Toxic work environment, heavy favoritism

Decent pay and benefits, but that's where the plus' stop. Management in the ivory tower doesn't know whether to scratch their watch or wind their a** and will drop you for no reason. Other workers in your section will go out of their way to find fault with your work, no matter how slight, and immediately rat you out to the supervisor/chargehand/lead hand instead of helping you out.

Cons

Toxic enviroment, inept management, nepotism, favoritism.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SMS Equipment Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement

Compare SMS Equipment Inc. with

• SMS Equipment Inc.
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?