SMS Equipment Inc. Employee Reviews

Needs a major house cleaning, starting with management
Parts technician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB12 April 2018
It doesn't matter what you know or what you can do, its all in who you know!
There is little upward hiring. Most of the senior positions are filled from outside the company.
Pros
good salary
Cons
Constantly micro-managed by managers who don't have a clue.
Typical management blunders
Wheel motor shop (Former Employee) –  Achesson23 March 2018
Achesson branch. Super bad culture. Supervisors dont do any actual work. Few doing the work of many here. Management is old boy club type. Crowded and dirty. Borderline unsafe due to amount of people and traffic. No procedures. Reviews focus on the one thing you may have done incorrect and will come up everytime. No positive reinforcement. Bad vibes. HR is disconnected from workers. Hard to access HR.
Pros
Big company. Other opportunities within.
Cons
Soul draining.
Potentially a good company
Parts (Former Employee) –  Eastern Canada31 January 2018
This could be a great company to work for if they could get a few things organized in management. I observed that employees for the most part were not happy with their situation. There is a lack of training and guidance and respect for the emplyees opinions and concerns. This leads to a large emplyee turn-over in all of the Eastern branches.
Pros
Working for an OEM.
Cons
Lack of support
fast pace environment
WAREHOUS TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 September 2017
I loved working here but the job was oilfield related and not very stable. The day to day tasks kept me busy and I enjoyed the fast pace environment. Driving the parts truck and picking and receiving were part of the daily tasks.
Nice place to work
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 August 2017
Nice place to work, room for growth. Interact with many different people from all over Canada. Hours are flexible, overtime sometimes required. Lots of company functions.
Pros
Helpful staff
Cons
Unprofessional managment
Great work environment/co-workers.
Tech / Service Shop Laborer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB8 August 2017
Great place to work for heavy duty industry. Quality machines and good techs working on them. Yard is pretty messy once it rains and super dusty when its dry.
Pros
lots of appreciation to employees
Cons
dirty!
Terrible IT Management
Analyst (Former Employee) –  Acheson, AB26 July 2017
IT Management that plays favorites and manipulates people is the culture. Take a pass if you want team spirit or career advancement. Unless you are an absolute beginner it's best to spend your time and energy elsewhere for IT work.
Pros
Free parking m
Cons
Horrible IT management and culture
Ok
Journeyman Parts Technician (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB19 June 2017
It was okay working here. Sometimes it felt like if you made a mistake that was pointed out immediately. But if you did something right, that was never acknowledged.
Pay was great but that was it
WAREHOUSE SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB9 June 2017
Pay was great but that was it. The place was ran by immature, moronic warehouse wanna be techs. They did not know how to receive or pick orders and was always hiding behind the union.
Fast paced work environment w/t nice office space
Sales and Warranty Administrator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 March 2017
SMS Equipment is a fast paced environment that relies on specific personalities to move quickly as the company evolves. The time lines for deadlines are crucial.

The best part about SMS Equipment would be seeing how Heavy Equipment is managed from arriving from the factory to shipping it out on delivery to the customer. There are many steps to making sure satisfaction is met and allows very little room for error. This is great for customer demand and competition amongst other dealers. When I worked for SMS Equipment - I felt a sense of pride seeing the equipment on the road or on job sites, knowing how hard it really is to get them there.

The hardest part about SMS Equipment was meeting the demands of so many people with little to no acknowledgment. Working long hours to meet the demands of departments without compensation.

SMS Equipment does have some of the best managers you will have the pleasure of meeting - it was a difficult decision leaving for a healthier career path.
Pros
Office Space
Cons
Uncompensated hours
a good work environment.
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Wabush, NL23 February 2017
as a warehouse clerk, i was responsible for all shipping and receiving. my day would start with checking e-mails and notifications. also, i would frequently be in contact with our suppliers and customers, so a good communication skill was required.
was lots of room to move up
Manager, Welding/Shovels/Light Duty (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB16 February 2017
I worked there for 17 years it was a great place to work and it offered me lots I did my welding trade there and moved up the ladder very quickly the pay back then for management was a little low but a great place
Great wages/benefits. Pay for schooling with incentives.
Parts Person (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB30 January 2017
This was my best job I have ever had. I loved my job. The pay was great , benefits were awesome. Management in R.D is weak. Job security isn't the best. Was layed off and was the most senior person there. Was heartbreaking. But I would work for SMS in a heartbeat. Miss that company.
Pros
Great team atmosphere, BBQs, lunches, great pay, incentives, benefits
Cons
Job security
fun work place
Warehouse Clerk (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC24 January 2017
This company very good environment and they have excellent benefits for the workers. good management. Its a big company and all the workers are very friendly
suited my needs
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Elkford, BC10 January 2017
good company. I retired . now I would like to unretired. I am a man of few words, if you want more in this space, find someone else.
good place to work
welder (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB5 December 2016
Working 12 hours day
Good team to work with
lots of welding and fabrication work
Have to work on your knees a lot of the day
great place to work, Pay is good
supplies are provided whenever its needed to complete the job
Productive and knowledgable
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Yellowknife, NT1 November 2016
I worked at the Yellowknife branch and my experience was great. The management went over and above to meet my needs as an employee. The training is great, the benefits are good, and the staff at the Yellowknife branch go over and above for both customers and fellow employees. I recommend before passing this business up for future employment, use your own opinion and check it out.
My experience was great with them and I worked there for more than 5 years that has to say something!
Pros
Training and benefits
Heavy Haul Shop Laborer (Current Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB27 September 2016
Great company, just not very secure and i want to get back on the tools. The supervisors are good they treat us well, there is a lack of communication with workers and management.
Sms take a pass
Electrician (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB 63 north21 September 2016
Poorly managed company selling great products. People get advanced for being lazy or stupid or both, but if you willing to kiss your bosses butt all the time you might make lead hand with the bonus of having to do all his work. Was a secure job but not anymore. Union is weak and frequently walked over by management, with the new contract lots of cuts if your stuck and out of options try here until something better come along.
Pros
Union
Cons
Too many to list
Belle environnement de travail en général
Parts Technician (Current Employee) –  Saint-Augustin, QC11 August 2016
Belle environnement de travail en général

Bon salaire

Avantages sociaux correct

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SMS Equipment Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.