SMS Equipment Inc. logo
SMS Equipment Inc.

SMS Equipment Inc. Employee Reviews

Work-life balance

Good job great wage

Loved the job You are expected to keep your area cleaned everything organized make sure the mechanics have what they need and the parts dept have what they need shipping receive unload equipment etc.but unfortunately got caught up in a downturn and was low man on seniority list laid off and never went back. You have to have whimis, dangerous goods, and forklift ticket preferable warehouseman ticket from college.

Really good if you’re a great fit

The environment is friendly and the staff are easy to work with. SMS values their staff and will help to develop you professionally. If you want to advance your way up the ladder you can do it, though it takes hard work and lots of grit to get there.

Top notch experience

Was a cool gig that paid my bills and gave me job security for over three years. Sad I had to go but a better opportunity came my way and I would have been a fool to have let it pass me by. Still the best job I’ve had to date. We’ll just have to see where my career takes me in the future.

Great people across the board

So far so good. The people, the environment, even the work itself makes me actually want to come in to work every day. I’m really loving the vibe here. I get a sense that some people don’t like the way management runs things but I think they’re doing just fine.

Unfair treatment & favouritism

If you don’t party with upper management or brown nose you won’t last here. This place is very toxic. It’s disorganized with inexperienced supervisors, out of touch upper management, HR is biased, high stress job with no recognition for your efforts. Pay was decent but not worth working here. If you’re not in their click, they get rid of you and keep their brown nosers.

Pros

Pay

Cons

Too many to list

Great first job experience

I started working at SMS straight out of school. I learned a lot while working here, not only about the company and my job duties, but also what it means to have a good work ethic and make yourself valuable within a company.

Safety first

Very safe workplace environment. Got good work/life balance. Flexible time schedule and shifts. All regulations are 100% followed 100% of the time. Highly recommended.

A+ experience

Yup, definitely doesn’t have a “every man for himself” type of mentality. We either win together or we lose together but we never leave a man behind. If you don’t know how to collaborate before you get hired you’ll learn quickly.

Love working here

No abuse in the work place. No yelling, discrimination, or off the cuff snide comments. It’s a great place to work with a lot of flexibility to do your job without an overbearing amount of managerial oversight.

Best job I’ve ever had

It only took me a few months to feel like I’ve been doing this for years. I’m not exaggerating. The training and experience are world class!!! It all came so naturally to me. Had lots of help from my colleagues too. As the title says, it’s the best job I’ve ever had.

Jobs at SMS Equipment Inc.

See more jobs

Toxic work environment, heavy favoritism

Decent pay and benefits, but that's where the plus' stop. Management in the ivory tower doesn't know whether to scratch their watch or wind their a** and will drop you for no reason. Other workers in your section will go out of their way to find fault with your work, no matter how slight, and immediately rat you out to the supervisor/chargehand/lead hand instead of helping you out.

Cons

Toxic enviroment, inept management, nepotism, favoritism.

Tough place to work, was stressed out daily by management and safety culture.

Could hardly get out of the truck in the parking lot every morning, just stressed out about working there. Try to catch and blame you for any little thing.

Pros

Decent pay

Cons

Toxic work environment.

Poor job security, incompetent management

They make it seem like this is a state of the art facility, but is it not , for years they have been trying to get a proper Komatsu certification, but the place is filthy , clutterd and unsafe to work, mobile equipment is unreliable and often breaks down and there is not enough working equipment to meet demands , slowing down work extremely and it becomes unrealistic to even attempt to meet deadlines , making you look slow and incompetent as you wait and walk around the shop looking for a forklift. Management is a joke , they all have their favorite workers and there is no chance of moving up and building a career as they tell you when you are hired.They sugar coat their statistics to try and make themselves look like the proper place to work at , covering their rear ends , they over charge their costumers by making us charge work time into things that we never even did. Most importantly they never do employe reviews, leaving you in the dark when it comes to your performance , and for the 2 years that I worked here I never even knew if I passed the probation period, as they never do reviews on your status.If you plan to work here , take advantage of the company, as you are just a number for them and will terminate you without cause at any given time they see fit.

Pros

Good pay, good co-workers

Cons

No job security, dangerous and hectic environment, incompetent management, unrealistic deadlines and expectations

Good for a pay cheque

Incompetent management. Supervisors that lack knowledge or experience in what the mining field. Unfortunately that's all the branch deals with.Favoritism is rampant. Good for a job till you find a better one

Pros

Steady work if your high enough on the list

Cons

Beware of bag lickers

Patronage runs rampant

Patronage appointments are the fashion at SMS Equipment. People are put into lucrative jobs not because they can actually do the job, but because "they've been here a long time, we don't want to lose that knowledge," and questioning this practice gets you labelled as a "bomb dropper," while the patronage appointees get to collect a fat cheque for little more than sitting at their desk. Not a lot of accountability when something goes wrong, but lots of finger pointing between dept's and "it's this dept's turn to take the heat." The product is amazing, as are the front line workers, but the leadership is in desperate need of replacing.

Pros

Team members

Cons

Good place to work. Poorly ran management

There is management personal in position that they should not be and do not Have the proper qualifications or knowledge to run a department.Overall mostly good supervisors and very nice and professional employees.

Good pay

The compensation for working for sms in ft Mcmuray is very good, the work life balance is also very good. They are a little top heavy however so is the whole area.

Cowboy attitude and over the top safety perspective makes it hard to work when they give you less than minimum and want you to perform as the best.

Kamloops. Poorly run shop. Management is beyond disconnected from the hourly staff. Poorly tooled shop. Lots of homemade tools that get the job done, but if your caught using your fired. No life, work balance.

Cons

No tools and poor management.

Poor management and toxic workplace

I worked at SMS for twelve years and the last five years it became a very toxic place to work and our management was completely inept. They intimidated people during the covid-19 pandemic and it was understood that if you tested positive for the virus and shut down work you would be fired. The managers used their employees as scapegoats and didn't take the blame for their poor planning and decisions.

Pros

Decent pay and good co-workers

Cons

Poor management that uses scapegoating & intimidation

Pays well but the left hand dont know what the right hand wants

It paid well and gave me comfort in living, but the foremans and chargehands are unaware about most things its incredible. Also very busy/anxious work environment. Too many moving pieces for them to be qualified as safe.

Pros

Competitive Pay, Great Benefits

Cons

Hostile Working Environment, Rotating Day and Night shift

It was a good place to work

It was a great place to work with decent starting salary and great benefits along with a 5% matching RRSP. But since COVID hit, they took advantage and “temporarily” laid off countless individuals and there was poor communication about if you were ever going to be brought back. Depending on your role, the life/work balance was good, and you were never expected to work after hours. Great coworkers, although some of the management could be a little overbearing.

Pros

Decent wage, benefits, Rrsp, Room for growth

Cons

Too many managers, lack of job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SMS Equipment Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.0Job security/advancement