SMS Equipment Inc.
Happiness score is 53 out of 100

SMS Equipment Inc.: 169 Employee Reviews

Canada169 reviews

equipmentheavysafetytrainingdecentlotyearthing

Great wage, good people, decent supervisors. Very repetitive work.

The job started out with great work/life balance of 40hrs a week but moved to 7/7 with 12hr days and a rotating night shift schedule that may or may not come back. The new shift has its pros and cons but it might not be for everybody. Some departments have better leadership than others and the safety culture is often ridiculous and excessive. Many meetings and adjustments to the FLRA system because they seem to think adding a new set of boxes to tick off every day will solve all their problems. But the pay is fantastic, there’s a few good supervisors and many great people on the tools. And it’s in town work where you can come home to your family every night. Currently there seems to be a high turnover rate for technicians where they either quit, get fired for safety related things or other reasons. Their green hard hat program lasts a year and a half so expect to be treated like a toddler by some people and regularly disrespected by supervisors talking to you like you’ve never held a tool in your life, even if you have +15 years experience in your trade. However, if you have a lot of patience and don’t mind extremely repetitive work (you’ll work on an endless stream of the same 3 or 4 components) then this really is a great place to work.

If you want to work in a place where the workers doesn't matter, and penny pinching management. Then this is the real sort for you.

Poor housing accommodations.Lack of leadership.All around toxic work environment. Very unorganized and very high turnaround rate.Lack of dealer specific training, and no room for advancement.Very high in favoritism.

Pros

Meal allowance

Cons

Poor management

Insights into SMS Equipment Inc.

What people like
  • Fair pay for job
Areas for improvement
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Support from manager
  • Inclusive work environment

Repetitive work boring no advancement

It’s a job nothing else sms doesn’t supply the tooling promised service trucks are mostly junk they don’t repair faults for months services always overdue , mechanics don’t look after the trucks or tooling bad management looking out for there bonuses not up keeping there equipment not even nuts and bolts at the branch a bit of a disgrace for a Komatsu dealership

Pros

14 days off training is ok

Cons

14 days on

SMS Equipment over managed.

SMS pays very well but there is a cost that your soul has to pay, slowly chipping away at it. To the point that you don't care anymore about achieving success there and just to the minimum effort to get by and stay above the radar. And there is a lot of employees doing the same. "Leadership Team" as they call them selves is about as far away from being leaders as you could get. The only thing the "managers" are managing is the path of there own careers, they have no interest in managing the things they were hired to do. The common feeling about the management group is very consistent amongst the people working on the floor. They don't care about the employees anymore. There will be many more good employees leaving in the near future.

Pros

Pay, co workers

Cons

To many to list, but management at the top of the list.

Great place to be employed

I hesitate to call this a workplace as it is very much an enjoyable place to be throughout the week. SMS places a high value on their employees and understands that they are what makes the company so great. I've worked for the competition and when it comes to culture, there really is no competition, SMS is the preferred place to be.

Pros

People, Job Satisfaction, Career Growth Opportunities

Cons

Some Processes & Use of Technology A Little behind the Times

Monotonous work

Your just a number. Management has no idea what’s going on the floor or cares. They say safety is first but isn’t really if it’s going to cost time or money.

Great place to work with engaged teams of people.

I enjoy working here and that's probably the most important benefit to recieve for any job that I have ever had, and my career has been a long one! When I reflect on why, its to do with the positive and progressive culture that is constantly evolving to support the business and its employees. SMS Equipment selects its employees carefully and recruits like minded people with positive attitudes. This is displayed by great teamwork between employees and their collaborate support for one another.

Review

Before I used to work shut downs, which really took away from doing things I enjoy and always felt burnt out mentally and physically. SMS reached out to me for an interview amd I'm very thankful I accepted. A company that sincerely cares about you and your safety. I do recommend working here.

Finding solutions through collaboration and teamwork

I have also said if I was to ever work outside of a mine operation I would work at SMS Equipment. The main reason that anyone that I interacted with over the 20 years was always upbeat and look for a solution to an issue I had even if it was not part of their business. Often they would refer me to someone else if they could not help.Since I joined I found that it was the first place I have worked at where I could bring my whole self to work. They appreciated my energy and passion to create change and move our culture. At SMS Equipment we all have the opportunity to improve our business.

A company that drives continuous improvement

Nearly three years in with the company and it continues to be a great experience. I have never had regrets of joining this team. The culture and interest in change is a fit for my personal work environment needs. Always peaches and cream? No, but the team atmosphere and open minds allow to overcome obstacles. Great work environment!

Pros

Diversity and team work

Cons

cannot think of any...

Strong focus on safety. A learning environment with cutting edge technology

At SMS Equipment safety is the priority. As an employee at SMS Equipment, I have the ability to contribute to the improvement of the way we do business. The leadership team is committed to the development of the workforce. Our employees receive OEM training and certification. We have access to the latest cutting-edge technology and products. I am proud to be part of this team.

Management are always looking to put a target on someone for there own gains

The pay is good the work that Managment puts a person in is to benefit the management not the worker. Also they lie to the new comuiters say that it’s unlimited OT which they pick and cas

Not quite what they say it is

The work culture creates a stressful environment do to poorly thought out and planned training as well as a constant fear of being written up. If there’s no work to be found you’d best stay looking busy. Talking to coworkers while sweeping is a no no.

Seems everyone is out for themselves

Okay if you keep your head down and stay stay out of the politics. Lots of games and gossip if that’s your thing. Overall it’s a paycheck and the 2X2 works well if that’s what you’re looking for

Great opportunities with this companyRepresentatives the best brands and product offerings in the market.Very welcoming when on-boarding, and provides excellent training

I would recommend SMS to anyone who works well in a fast paced environment. The pay is excellent and has good benefits. There is red tape, but less than other company’s I have worked for.

Great place to work and build your career!

Great place to build your career and learn new skills. Great team environment. Non-stop learning opportunities. Collaborative teams to work with. Fun place to work and lots of family oriented things for employees.

Fast paced, place to work. Good pay and very good benefits. Management not the greatest. Good place to work as long as you keep your self busy and don't put yourself on the Radar.

Toxic work environment

The management in Reman is run by an authoritarian dictator that will fire anyone at the drop of a hat. Nobody takes ownership as a result and everyone points fingers when something goes wrong. Moving up is impossible, if a new position opens they will hire from the outside rather than promote internally. Pay and benefits are cheap compared to industry standard.

Pros

3 weeks vacation.

Cons

Everything else, poor work environment, toxic management.

Great company to work for to learn your way around Canada's mine sites. Great pay.

Use to be very versatile with lots of travel to various sites and various tasks but since covid its become very stale with a few very undesirable shifts in undesirable locations. The environment can feel a little shady at times and leave a guy unsure who to trust or call a friend. But when you're with a good crew the rotations will fly by as quickly as days off. Unfortunately this seems rare lately. There seems to be favouritism in play as well in terms of people getting to decide who they work with and where.

Pros

Pay and days off

Cons

Too much gossip and clique type behaviour.

Really good place to work

Really good place. Great benefits, pay and people. Everyone really wants to make sure as an employee you are happy and ready to work. Would recommend working here

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SMS Equipment Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement