SMS Equipment Inc.
Here to help
Coronavirus update

SMS Equipment Inc. Employee Reviews

Canada121 reviews
Worked with some really great people. This place has bad apples that make an environment toxic but in all honesty all places have this. For the majority of my time I really enjoyed working for sms. Advanced training is available for those who want to further their career. The only downfall is that this particular branch is unionized so lazy incompetent employees get to stay while competent hard working employees lose their jobs when everything goes south.
Pros
great pay
Cons
union
When I first started, Acheson was a good place to work, but so much potential has been squandered here. An incompetent operations manager was that was extremely unqualified for the position took over in 2019 and started getting rid of long term, loyal and dedicated employees to make room for his "chosen" few. After a multimillion dollar expansion that had the Edmonton branch absorbed into the Acheson branch, they decided us long-term service employees weren't worth more than a cup of coffee. Terminated dozens of employees during the height of the Covid situation, knowing we will have an extremely difficult time finding meaningful employment (Talk about a lack of empathy)
Pros
Great pay, good benefits, RRSP matching, shop tools are always in good condition
Cons
Despicable management practices, safety reward system is a joke
I have been working for SMS off and on for about 4 years love the place and if you want to learn and be on the front line for the new technology it’s the place to be
The only down side is when you work for a dealer and the work slow down sometimes they do layoff but it part of the game

They treat you fair and a lot a good benefit

I hope do e able to do 5 more years and even more.
Pros
Pay, benefits, family oriented
Cons
Can be unstable
The HR Department cannot be trusted and the way they get rid of people is disgusting! They brag about culture but they do NOT have your back. The Technical Training Manager spent most of his day in the toilet with reading material and the only ones who advanced were those who licked his boots. The more senior trainers were great but the new ones were infantile. The President has no clue what happens behind the scenes and frankly, he doesn’t seem to care. Go elsewhere, they cannot be trusted.
Pros
The coffee machine
Cons
I worked here for a bit and well I got bullied and picked on. Management did nothing.
HR and management want the whistle blower to go.away not the bully.

I would NOT recommend working here at all. All the good people are going to end up leaving sooner or later if they already haven't.
Pros
Cons
Bullies
Great company, lots to learn. Pay was appropriate for the position. I have worked in the Hr department and my coworkers were awesome. I was pretty new to the job and had little experience, but my mentors were awesome.
They have little to no training because no one fully understands the operating system (including IT).

Very top heavy company (too many Managers) with little to no direction.

Operations manager is demanding, unkind and gets off on targeting people in order to dismiss them. Will micromanage people to the point where you want to rip your hair out.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everything else
Working for the company is amazing I enjoyed working there for the last 10 years .I have taken on many role as I have been there .I am leader and I also believe In a team that makes the job .
Pros
Great team 14 on 14 off
Cons
No cons with company
Good company with great pay and benefits. Family atmosphere. They have an awesome Christmas Party and they give out Costco Memberships at Christmas Time.
fair, honest, pay on time, some managers are to be avoided at all costs, my 2 cents just do your job and stay out of the union stuff..................
Not a bad place to work, job security is a bit flakey, feeling like we may not have work the next month. For the most part I enjoyed working for SMS the people are ok and as for a local job it is pretty good.
Great Team Culture with safety and employee satisfaction highest on the list of priorities. Friendly staff. Small Gym and locker room with showers on site. Active social committee with quarterly activities or outings.
When I first started it was a good place they hired really smart and hard working people. Then they decided to hire anyone with a pulse. Reman Shop management is full of it and they preach safety but when you bring up an issue they will delete evidence of any unsafe conditions. If you try to escalate it they tell you it’s not your problem and to leave it alone. They are all talk and don’t care about you. Policies are created only after someone gets hurt or some big incident. They don’t listen to employees about how to improve work conditions so don’t bother suggesting anything either. They lack support equipment and tools. Again they won’t listen on any ideas on how to improve these issues. I’m just sick of the management. Save yourself the headache and go to OEM or finning or anywhere else. Oh and forget about getting a promotion in the shop unless you have some knee pads ready.
Management has no idea what actually goes on within the branch. The company promotes from within a small group of friends. If you are not in that friend group you will be treated poorly. Pay is ok but when work slows down they will lay you off. Management has the mindset that the customers will always call instead of reaching out to the customer looking for work. My branch only really has one large coal mining customer. The company treats the customer poorly. Would be nice to see collaborative senior leadership with leadership skills. Not an attitude of a bully.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Useless management and union
terrible management , next to no training , they only care about the long term employees . horrible place to work . if the president knew what was going on in this company and made changes of the upper management it would be a much better place the product they sell is great .
You are rewarded generously for hard work. Compensation is competitive and generous. The work environment is busy, fast paced and fun, good worklife balance.
New GM was hired from Finning and came in after only being on the job for 2 months and canned a bunch of people that have been employed for many years
Pros
Freindly environment.
Cons
Management needs some work, you are just a number to them.
Good group of people that were very helpful when I had questions and well run business. Was an enjoyable place to work for the summer and would enjoy working with them in the future.
very unorganized top heavy and management has no idea of what is going on . they have sooo many staff and managers that are absolutely disconnected with sales and general staff . next no training its the attitude of here you go here is some online training good luck . they are too top heavy with managers who are all trying to get to the top .
Pros
good equipment to sell
Cons
they just don't care all the way around you are on your own
Very brash bullies in management. Hi turnover if your not one of their buddies. Union contract means nothing. Work the crazy hours or be punished and pushed out.
If you are truly a long term equipment sales representative stay away from applying here there are better equipment companies out there to work for .The management is so out of touch with what is going on it's unbelievable, they are completely disorganized and do not care about the work force out in the field doing the work , the top management and supervisors get shuffled around at a steady rate, meaning they are always in survival mode .they only want to help the old staff that has been around for many years ,Anyone coming in that is new will absolutely have the hardest time to get anything done and expect not be welcomed at all . they are run strictly be the HR dept . They keep all sales employees at a distance no conference calling, no group meetings , They know how messed up it is so they choose to ignore and not bring out the issues to make a better work environment . They get rid of or force out employees that truly care to replace them before the truth gets talked about . it is a sad thing because the products they sell is top notch and could be way more successful if they would change the things mentioned .