Smook Contractors Ltd

Smook Contractors Ltd Employee Reviews

not for anyone with a young family

I worked night shift for about six months at the Vale mine hauling different materials. it was close to home but hard on the family being gone during the evenings.

Pros

no traffic lol

Experience

Highway work is probably the busiest setting I've worked. Flagging is not really anyone's choice but someone's gotta do it. Standing on the side of the road for 11 hours on your feet does takes its toll but the pay is decent. Anything over 50 hours a week is time & half. Down side to working for smooks is working with the vets who are obnoxious & cranky all the time especially when your the new hire.

Good place with a bit of downtime

It was alright to work in the wash bay, at times had to find lots of things to do like house cleaning/ cleaning the yard up. Got to know some cool people working there

Excellent people, famil

One great big happy family with coworkers & Management. Family oriented workplace & community minded . The coworkers are fun to be around with which make a comfortable work Enviroment and highly recommended for those who want to work together as a team with high safe production practises. I miss working there.

Great Company. Lot's of room for advancement.

Started off as a flagger for the summer. When the job ended they trained me on a rock truck to keep me working rather than laying me off. They have a heavy equipment trainer who helps explain things to new operators. Most of the experienced operators were willing to give advice as well. Supervisors were good to work for. Hard working employees were rewarded with opportunities for advancement. They own an apartment block in Thompson so if you are from out of town they have a place for you to stay. They were in the middle of renovating it when i left. Production crew works longer stretches but gets a week off for every long weekend. Crews at the mine site in Thompson work 5 on 2 off.

For your own sake avoid this place

The management culture is very poor and disorganized lots of yelling and growling. All employees are viewed as expendable the GM actually said to me just get em here if they have a pulse, if they dont work out we fire em, people would be pulled from several provinces away traveling thousands of kilometers for a job and then get laid off very quickly or fired. The turnover is around 150% per year! Rules are very inconsistent and the squeeky wheel either gets fired or some grease. The apts they own to put the workers in, they will shove 3 of you in there with 30 year old furniture smelling of mold, some are newly renovated and nice. They talk of a safety culture but treat HR and Safety like the unwanted stepchildren and a nuisance to the machismo. The benefits dont kick in for 6 mths most people do not last this long. They work the men in the field 21-30 days straight at 12 hour days and wonder why they are burning out and everyone is miserable.

Pros

some staff are friendly and knowledgeable

Cons

job security, culture, management, location, hours of work.

productive and busy

long hours of work but enjoyable meals well prepped. great staff. out dated equipment was a down side. 35 days of work was a down side. always kept busy with different objectives daily

Pros

have to keep your own room clean

Cons

have to pay meals

It's a job

Company makes you feel apart of things. family oriented company they say. I found over time they are all about the buddy system. I'm not comfortable with this practice.

Cons

Supervisors are young, some need a reality check.

Heavy Duty Equipment Technician

The Day Starts with Safety Meeting, worked with apprentice diagnosted repaired Machines and there engines.Shop supervisor and managment were helpful.

High paced, high attention to detail, learning experience

The day always started with a Safety Meeting with all shops and foremen involved, discussing daily tasks that required Job Hazard Assessments, new or updated safety procedures or protocol, or reviewing near miss situations. I enjoyed working with all my coworkers, some more than others but always got to know everyone and never left anyone out of lunch room conversation. Management was always easy to deal with because I did my job and went over and beyond expectation, therefore management usually only came around to say hello and to check that orders and goods were moving smoothly, or to let us know what is in the forecast for upcoming jobs and projects. The most difficult part of my job was not being able to know more, learn more, do more. I have been interested in mechanics for quite a while now but haven't been able to pursue my dreams of becoming an female aboriginal automotive/heavy equipment mechanic. I enjoyed learning bits and pieces of knowledge from the mechanics, the crusher crew, and administration as I am always wanting to learn how to do it all. I enjoyed being able to exert full energies into working in the yard, or the larger warehouses, moving and organizing heavy equipment attachments and accessories, industrial machinery and a lot of times, garbage that others could not seem to find the proper place for. I enjoyed being given the opportunity to deliver on demand, and was instantly gratified when foremen were smiling (not often they do), and on their way back to the job site.

Pros

physical labor, on the job learning, fast paced, high attention to detail

Cons

shipping delays when it the product was needed yesterday, consistent mistakes from the same vendor

Smook contractors ltd great place to work loved the people treated me well

I have learned many things in the companies I have worked for, leadership skills, surveying, grading, people management skill, safety culture, maintenance and proper care of equipment, paperwork and payroll management, time management skills, listening skills,

Pros

paid lunch hour

great place to work

A typical day consists of processing invoices for payment. Answering emails and phones. Assisting with walk in traffic. Matching invoices with packing slips. Preparing checks.

Pros

Great boss

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smook Contractors Ltd. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5Job security/advancement