Smook Contractors Ltd Employee Reviews

Excellent people, famil
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB13 September 2019
One great big happy family with coworkers & Management. Family oriented workplace & community minded . The coworkers are fun to be around with which make a comfortable work Enviroment and highly recommended for those who want to work together as a team with high safe production practises. I miss working there.
For your own sake avoid this place
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB12 August 2019
The management culture is very poor and disorganized lots of yelling and growling.

All employees are viewed as expendable the GM actually said to me just get em here if they have a pulse, if they dont work out we fire em, people would be pulled from several provinces away traveling thousands of kilometers for a job and then get laid off very quickly or fired. The turnover is around 150% per year!

Rules are very inconsistent and the squeeky wheel either gets fired or some grease.

The apts they own to put the workers in, they will shove 3 of you in there with 30 year old furniture smelling of mold, some are newly renovated and nice.

They talk of a safety culture but treat HR and Safety like the unwanted stepchildren and a nuisance to the machismo.

The benefits dont kick in for 6 mths most people do not last this long.

They work the men in the field 21-30 days straight at 12 hour days and wonder why they are burning out and everyone is miserable.
Pros
some staff are friendly and knowledgeable
Cons
job security, culture, management, location, hours of work.
productive and busy
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB12 June 2018
long hours of work but enjoyable meals well prepped. great staff. out dated equipment was a down side.
35 days of work was a down side.
always kept busy with different objectives daily
Pros
have to keep your own room clean
Cons
have to pay meals
It's a job
Heavy Equipment Operator/Foreman (Current Employee) –  Thompson Manitoba12 July 2017
Company makes you feel apart of things. family oriented company they say. I found over time they are all about the buddy system. I'm not comfortable with this practice.
Cons
Supervisors are young, some need a reality check.
Heavy Duty Equipment Technician
Heavy Duty Equipment mechanic (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB6 June 2016
The Day Starts with Safety Meeting, worked with apprentice diagnosted repaired Machines and there engines.Shop supervisor and managment were helpful.
High paced, high attention to detail, learning experience
Purchasing Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB17 February 2016
The day always started with a Safety Meeting with all shops and foremen involved, discussing daily tasks that required Job Hazard Assessments, new or updated safety procedures or protocol, or reviewing near miss situations. I enjoyed working with all my coworkers, some more than others but always got to know everyone and never left anyone out of lunch room conversation. Management was always easy to deal with because I did my job and went over and beyond expectation, therefore management usually only came around to say hello and to check that orders and goods were moving smoothly, or to let us know what is in the forecast for upcoming jobs and projects. The most difficult part of my job was not being able to know more, learn more, do more. I have been interested in mechanics for quite a while now but haven't been able to pursue my dreams of becoming an female aboriginal automotive/heavy equipment mechanic. I enjoyed learning bits and pieces of knowledge from the mechanics, the crusher crew, and administration as I am always wanting to learn how to do it all. I enjoyed being able to exert full energies into working in the yard, or the larger warehouses, moving and organizing heavy equipment attachments and accessories, industrial machinery and a lot of times, garbage that others could not seem to find the proper place for. I enjoyed being given the opportunity to deliver on demand, and was instantly gratified when foremen were smiling (not often they do), and on their way back to the job site.
Pros
physical labor, on the job learning, fast paced, high attention to detail
Cons
shipping delays when it the product was needed yesterday, consistent mistakes from the same vendor
Smook contractors ltd great place to work loved the people treated me well
Principal Heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB26 October 2015
I have learned many things in the companies I have worked for, leadership skills, surveying, grading, people management skill, safety culture, maintenance and proper care of equipment, paperwork and payroll management, time management skills, listening skills,
Pros
paid lunch hour
great place to work
Accounts Payable Clerk (Former Employee) –  Thompson, MB16 July 2013
A typical day consists of processing invoices for payment. Answering emails and phones. Assisting with walk in traffic. Matching invoices with packing slips. Preparing checks.
Pros
Great boss