Smoke's Poutinerie

Smoke's Poutinerie Employee Reviews

Good for a quick job
Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON9 February 2020
interview and hiring was easy going. after a month or two you’ll dread going to work. Long hours alone late into the night with occasional overwhelming rushes. training was unpaid and feels like you’re being taken advantage of most of the time. Good job to get some experience but once you get the chance run far away and never look back. Unethical and illegal labour practices at many locations. A shift at smoke’s poutinerie isn’t done until you’ve dreamed of quitting and finding a place that respects you
Very Poor Owner Attitude
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC4 February 2020
They will hire anyone as long as it means the owner doesn't have to actually work! The more time he has to drink the better. The only good thing this establishment has going for it is the manager! She is great to work with and is very good at training new employees. The environment is very high paced and the kitchen is always very clean but the owner is just to much to take.
Nothing to say
Shift Supervisor / Event Lead (Current Employee) –  Downtown Toronto22 January 2020
It’s a good company to work for. The hardest part about working is the over night shifts.But working in the events helps you get know your city abit more
Good
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON2 January 2020
It was good it was fun lots of strippers next door gangstas use to come in but fools try to floss can't step.on me I'm a humanitarian aid in the spring
Pros
Fun
Cons
Lots of work
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 December 2019
Worked here for a year and change, dont really have any complaints about it. Other than the fact that I came up with recipes in 2016 that are being released today.
Great co-workers, can be fast paced
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK4 December 2019
I loved the job, had great coworkers and management was awesome. I only left because I found a job that paid more. The work is pretty easy once you're fully trained and I loved interacting with customers.
Where to start..
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON25 November 2019
It should have been a sign right off the bat how desperate they were for employees. I walked in, and handed my resume in to two 19 year old girls who turned out to be "managers". My interview consisted of what music I liked, and literally if I believed in aliens. Nothing about my experience.
I was hired on the spot and asked to start the next day because they needed people immediately. They didnt offer much theyimmediately
Fun and Fresh place to work!!
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB7 November 2019
I absolutely enjoyed working for Smokes Poutinerie. As manager I had the opportunity to make everyday a great day. I love Smoke's 80's Glam Rock theme. The brand and culture are unlike any place I have worked.
A typical day at work consisted of; Preparing and cooking high quality poutines, as well as all management duties; creating schedules, reviewing resumes, emails, marketing. The staff are very friendly and have great drive.
Fun workplace, great staff.
Cashier/Cook (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON6 November 2019
Great environment to work in, the poutine was always fresh. I learned how different poutine's were made and how to keep safe clean work stations. I enjoyed the 80's music they played and all the friendly staff. Their location made it really competitive with other poutine shops.
fast paced and fun
Kitchen Team Member (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 November 2019
My experience at Smoke's poutinerie was fantastic and I recommend anyone to work there because It is very friendly and multicultural in terms of employees. The work here is fast-paced because you have to make food as quick as possible but it pays off because it helps use those skills in everyday life.
Understaffed workplace
Customer Service Representative, Fryer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 September 2019
Smoke's has only one person working at a time, having you multitask greatly by dealing with customers, fries, cutting and frying fries, cleaning, and preparing for late night set ups. The management is not very good. The benefits are okay.
If you want to be filled with anxiety everytime you work this is the place for you!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB6 September 2019
At first you will love this job, its laid back its pretty simple but after a few months you will be absolutely devastated. Management is awful, if it’s the regent location it’s usually only 2 people scheduled with no manager and if something goes wrong you have to call the downtown location for help and sometimes they can’t even answer because they’re so busy. Oh! And be prepared for your boss to publicly post about your mistakes on a forum on the scheduling app for all the other employees to see instead of being professional and talking to you about it privately.
Pros
Fries
Fun place to work
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON31 August 2019
I enjoyed working here. Nice co workers, nice boss and nice manager! Problems get addressed and dealt with promptly and professionally. My old boss threw us the best Christmas party ever last year!
Great work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Adelaide, ON25 August 2019
The staff was very friendly, we worked well together. A typical day at work would consist of blanching (preparing potatoes for the fries), food prep for regular business days and especially for busy weekend nights.
co workers were fun to be around and the food was amazing
Food Prep (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 August 2019
seating people, dishes, and preping food were the main things i did.
i learned to be less shy here so that i was happy about.
i enjoyed seeing regulars every week and feeling like a family at work.
my worst day along with everyone elses was the day we got forclosed :( i really liked that job
Pros
free food
Cons
always understaffed
Run by idiots
Cook/ Prep/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 July 2019
I worked at the Dundas location a few years ago and the place was fine in terms of customers and coworkers but everyone who ran it was stupid and duplicitous. They regularly failed to pay the amount they owed me. They made me work alone on Canada Day and failed to pay me 1.5, which is required for holidays. When I was ratted out by a sycophantic coworker for consuming a beer on shift, the management childishly yelled at me over the phone but didn't have the balls to fire me. Instead, they acted like I still had the job, but eventually stopped giving me shifts with no word about it. A year or so later I found out they had told my coworkers I was fired, but they never told me. Also they made us play the same tiny playlist of 80s hits all the time. I don't know who's in charge now, but in 2010 they were unprofessional idiots. I should have gotten the message when I learned that everyone before me at that location had all quit together in protest to mess up the scheduling.
Interesting work place
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  578 Queen St W, Toronto28 May 2019
If I get an early shift it will be mostly prep work for later that day but besides that its a pretty slow day. It's most busy at 6 and later. That's when you have to be really quick on your feet. By 8 pm kitchen workers will start prepping more fries for the days to come. My store is located near clubs so during later shifts so don't be surprised when you come by drunk customers and people with interesting costumes. Closing times vary but the latest closes by 4 a.m when clean up starts.

One negative part of the job was the training taught by the manager. I was more or less expected to learn on the job so I continuously had to ask my co-workers if I'm doing something right or not. But in the end, I got the hang of it which was good.

I think one of the best parts of this job was the interesting customers you will get since you get lost of tourists and party goers. Plus the customers tip well.

The hardest part of the job is probably all the time you will be on your feet not to mention the slow hours where there is almost nothing to do but stand.
Pros
Great tips
Cons
at least have one overnight shift
not a bad job
Shift Supervisor also Cashier (Former Employee) –  Port Credit, ON7 May 2019
The manager is a bully, it is really corrupt there, other then management that job isn't too bad. would love to have kept working there under new management.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
graveyard shift
worst restaurant ever
Cashier and Cook (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON24 March 2019
I honestly feel that people have been brainwashed into believing this to be a good establishment despite their senses clearly telling them otherwise.

It is a bad place to eat and a bad place to work. The food is stored improperly, and it tastes bad.

The only good thing they have, the thanksgiving poutine, is only available for a month.
Pros
free food, lots of people
Cons
it should be the villan's lair in a cartoon
Easy going and fun environment
Cook/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB16 March 2019
It was a laid back work environment perfect for some one with low level kitchen experiences. The late night shifts are difficult and past faced but great for someone who is a night owl.
Pros
Laid back work environment
Cons
Working till 4am on weekends

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smoke's Poutinerie. Our community is ready to answer.