Smitty's

Smitty's Employee Reviews

Canada212 reviews
Come in for work and prep working stations then, unless you're on break, work/clean without stopping because work will stack up in the end for those with closing shifts if you slack during your shift. Management and communication in the is typically very good, especially the BOH management. There's online training as well as training as you go. Like most diners, it's fast paced, unlike many places that claim to be "fast-paced" but are actually not - so some people who've worked "fast-paced" jobs think they can handle the workload when they actually haven't ever experienced anything like it (this is the only reason I wouldn't recommend the job to just the average person). The hardest part of the job is when business is slow and staff are sent home early, then business picks up again but the place is then understaffed. The best part of the job is having a reliable team that's able to meet the workload together and work as a team, as well as being a reliable teammate yourself.
Pros
Discounted/free meals
Cons
Hours can be unpredictably short/long depending on slow/fast business, Closing hours are late and vary depending on customers
Long hours, almost no breaks. Everyone is tired and overworked but the managers don’t care. They don’t value us as employees despite having high expectations. They’d take the time to lecture you while you’re working on the littlest things even if it’s busy. Don’t expect much out of this job, to them, everyone’s replaceable. One manager tells you to do something a certain way and another tells you the opposite. Both will yell at you for not listening. It’s ridiculous. They all need to do better and start treating their employees with respect.
Pros
Good tips
Cons
Everything else
overall working at smittys was a super positive work environment you felt like family there! I learned lots of good customer service skills while working there and really enjoyed it. My only complaint is for the majority of the time I worked there the manager was terrible and never helped with anything and didn't set a very good example for other employees, every business needs structure and someone making sure the place as a whole is running smoothly.
Kitchen work is always stressful, however there are some veteran staff at this location who are friendly and willing to help newcomers. There is nothing special about this job, a good work experience for students or graduates looking for a summer job.
It feels like a family working together and serving others. Everyone is made to feel comfortable and part of the work team. They are welcoming to everyone.
For somebody that are not afraid of dirty work, getting your body and clothes dirty.
And for people with a fast-working pace,

Not afraid of in-rush work
Worked there for about a year or so, the manager would change my shifts as I was walking in the door for the shift he changed. Had me working 3 days after a surgury.
There wasn't enough time to be human and have time to do normal things that needed to be done in a day after work. Social life dwindled down to almost nothing. I picked up a few skills in the kitchen and while i was a waitress. people were pretty disrespectful including staff and management. I assume everyone was ticked off about how little time they had outside of work to enjoy compared to how much they worked. My favorite part of the job was being asked to work 4:30pm to 2:30am and then laughed when they asked me to be back at work by 6:30am to 2:30pm which usually lasted overtime plus sometimes checks didn't completely add up.
It's a really nice environment to work in with friendly staff in the front and back of house. Friendly customers, and overall happy experience, it's just slow-paced and it's hard to live with little paychecks.
Everyone deserves a better deal and a better life. Equally true. Flexi time but I was wired for 4years of work does not have increased of salary.but the extra amount of happiness is more important then.
Not a great job. I enjoyed my customers. I didn't enjoy having a boss look at me almost every day shift that I would worked and say you still work here really made me feel like i wasnt welcome. Job security is a joke their sadly even going on maternity leave and you make your manager promise that everything is filled out right and your going to get your job back 100% and not get screwed over its bs and you get screwed over. Its all lies sadly they will even go as far as to lie to labour board and give false statement's.
Working here sucked days off were not consecutive so planning anything fun was non existent, management sucked and was very demanding especially when things were slow and there was nothing to be done
I loved that we always worked as a team, especially when it was a busy day. At the end of the shift before anyone leaves, they always ask if we need anything else that needs to be done. Management was wonderful at accommodating my busy school schedule.
Smitty's was very unorganized and laid back. Things were not properly cleaned or cleaned when they should be. Food, we make in the back kept getting cheaper. But we keep selling it for higher and management that needs improvement from the mangers, too owner. Toxic relationships sit between the employees and employers. As well as a tense air space making you feel like you keen to crack under the pressure.
Difficult to get shifts, no set schedule, gives your schedule to you at the beginning of the week. Managers are fun, short shifts, good job for young people
Set up for success every morning, lots of bacon and pancakes on weekends! Big groups and lots of regulars also.. Sometimes pushed with volume but in a fun environment ! Great ownership also...
I worked almost everywhere in Alberta I am having a really good experience in hotel industry. And it’s very easy to learn and becoming a motivational person.
Pros
Really good experience
Cons
Learning new skills make you move faster to next level
My work would start out with punching "in" to start my hours going.Then i would wait for customers to come and i would seat them,usually i would ask where they would want to sit either table or a booth. If there is not a lot of customers then i would clean glass,floor,tables,chairs or booths.
And even after when i would finish i would help waitresses.If my work day goes slow my manager would let me go home earlier.
Work was almost always fast paced with many customers and prone to fluctuate consistently, but taught me a lot about keeping my mind organized. Workplace was kind of gossip-y and had a lot of drama but that may have just been employees. Dealing with angry customers was never fine.
Typical restaurant setting. Fun employees and fast paced so the shifts went by quickly and made decent tips. Friendly customers and a very social environment.
relaxed working environment with great staff who are supportive. easy place to work, management are always understanding of life/work balance. i found my days were virtually zero stress