Smitty's Employee Reviews

Not a positive environment
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Steinbach, MB7 April 2019
They give very few shifts and not great hours. They hire anyone who applies so they are very overstaffed with hosts. Management there is all over the place. They gave very little training. Staff members lack communication and team work abilities.
Was okay.
Server (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK3 April 2019
Didn't last long as the location I worked at was shut down permanently. So did not have a chance to really get to know the place. But from what I saw it was a seventh place to work
First cooking job
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB3 April 2019
this was my first job as a cook, I learned many thing from the industry that I have taken with me throughout my career. my time here was short but worth it.
A good place to work, servers are money-hungry.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS1 April 2019
Overall, the management is kind and forgiving and will help you succeed.

The servers are money-hungry and will throw you under the bus for simple mistakes that they should have been taking care of themselves.
Fast paced and fairly busy
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK6 March 2019
Management was very helpful and gave great advice, show me different ways to do the dishes. Was able to get dishes done at a faster pace, so I could keep up with the afternoon rushes and not get to behind otherwise was a lot harder to keep up.
Great customers
Assistant manager (Former Employee) –  High River, AB6 March 2019
when i was employed there, the people and the management were really great. The day to day operations were really well organized and the overall experience was good. The last year there, everything went sideways
Did not mind it
Cook (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2019
was not managed well at all. Poor pay. Poor hours. Got treated unequally and am very glad i do not work there anymore. Although we did get to eat free so that was good.
Work Environment
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Edson, AB10 February 2019
I enjoyed my years working at Smittys. The manager is excellent to work for. My coworkers were wonderful. I moved up from being night cook to breakfast shift in a short amount of time. My manager offered good benefits for the location of the business.
Pros
wonderful management
Cons
nothing that I can think of
Productive and fun workplace
Hostess and Server (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB7 February 2019
The customers were always the best part of working there. You mostly served families and old couples. The employees were very kind along with the manager.
The manager is a child like coward
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS5 February 2019
Basically right from the get go I was lied to repeatedly about hours and the manager is very childish in his way of handling his employees.

Went in to work one day to notice my shifts went from 4 shifts a week to 1 (Easter long weekend is this weekend so that is understandable with the holiday I though and I would give him the be nicer of the doubt)
No but when I came in for my one shift the next week I noticed the new schedule my name was no where on the list and he had someone else hired on to work my schedule shift
fun to work at
Dish washer (Former Employee) –  Grasswood, SK28 January 2019
it was a fun environment to work at. nice people.. I no longer work there as a cook or dishwasher. im currently at a different job...…………………………………………………………..
Pros
free food
Cons
didnt make enough
This is the WORST company i've ever worked for
smitty's (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK21 January 2019
First of all, it was VERY Unorganized from when I was a host to server, I never got trained properly, SECOND the "manger" wasn't professional. He accused all his staff of stealing but yet when i offered to get a camera to record the till he declined. NOT only did he fired me over FACEBOOK, but he also lied about how i was fired to revenue Canada..food sucked always got complains.
Pros
they had hard workers working there
Cons
Everything else
okay
Prep cook and dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 January 2019
i had a great time working at Smittys but the people there were a little hostile and there was a lot of drama. probably wouldn't go back. really enjoyed the management tho.
Pros
free lunches
Fun filled family envirnment
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK1 January 2019
I love working at Smittys for 25 years. It is a second family. The staff is amazing which made my job easier. Lots have staff have been at Smitty's longer than 10 years
funwork place
Guide guests (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 December 2018
In a typical day in my last position I fulfilled tasks of opening and closing the facility, as well as overseeing a staff of seven individuals. Throughout the day I completed various administrative duties as well, including answering phones, drafting documents and emails, filing and greeting customers. I also provided strong customer service and resolved customer issues.
fun fun fun
Server/Waiter/Host (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB22 November 2018
loved it here. staff are great, management is awesome everyone gets along. everyone works as a team making work easy and productive. would work here again without a question!
always a busy place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Fort McMurray, AB14 November 2018
We were always busy and everyone helped everyone. customer satisfaction was main goal. as the hostess I had to make sure that the servers always had tables to serve.
Pros
one free meal/day
Cons
could not take meal out
Horrible place to work
Server (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 November 2018
Management is horrible, you are treated like garbage. All management cared about was making their bonuses and didn't care about quality of food or the employees well being. No training, just throw you into different positions and let you drowned. Hours were terrible. They scheduled you on days you were not available and expected you to get shift covered if you couldn't come in. DEFINITELY NOT FAMILY ORIENTED
Expected your availability to be 24/7 and god forbid something came up in your home life as there was no compassion for anything or anyone.
I do not recommend working here. Especially the regent location. Worst one in Winnipeg.
Pros
Discounted Food
Cons
Too many to list
Great First Job
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Camrose, AB25 October 2018
Worked at Smitty's for three years, and it was a great experience. The manager went to school for management and it really shows. He is great at managing the store and it was a pleasure working for him. Front-of-house management at the time needed to relax and not freak out, but aside from that it was a good place to work.

Employees working there are tenured and they have to like you, otherwise you will have a hard time. Like any place out there that will be present.
Pros
Free lunch, great management, and excellent experience
Cons
Low wage, and no advancement
Duties
Waitress / bartender (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK8 October 2018
A topical day at Smittys
I would be the first one in I would open at 6:30 am
Open the doors & get everything ready for the day
Start coffee
Turn lights and computers on
Make sure creams and sugars are done
Make sure there utensils on all the tables
Make sure everything’s clean and ready for the day and my other co- workers
Make sure everything is stocked
Pros
Got half price brekfest