Smiths Detection Employee Reviews

I have been working for Smiths Detection for more than 13 years, Smiths was an excellent work environment to work with.
Sr. R&D Electrical Engineering (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 November 2015
Unfortunately the our location at Mississauga, Ontario was shut down and moved core of R&D and production operation to UK and US offices.
Solid
Test Technician and Calibration Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON18 August 2015
- Excellent place to work
- Friendly enviornment
- postiver attitude
- well organized
- Welcomming
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
The people you work with are great, Upper management, not so much
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON2 June 2015
The company used to be a world leader in trace detection equipment. However, due to a lack of innovation and an over dependance on consensus, it has fallen past the point of recovery.
Pros
Good benefits, People are helpful, creative and hard working
Cons
Lack of comunication between departments, lack of focus from management
Used to be a great company before it was bought out by Smiths Group
Electronics R&D Technologist (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON19 April 2015
The Canadian branch of this organization was originally known as Barringer Research (or Barringer Instruments), which had originally produced instruments for geological exploration, but whose later focus was on the design and manufacturing of instruments for the detection and identification of narcotics and explosives as well as Chemical Warfare Agents.

Barringer had a very pleasant atmosphere and was essentially a great and fun place to work, the core technology is excellent and very exciting to learn about and work with. The products were high-end and very sensitive pieces of equipment. The technical positions and projects were challenging, exciting and fun. You would briefly chat with your manager and immediately start working on exciting projects in a lab environment towards a real result. The people (i.e. author's immediate co-workers) were absolutely wonderful both on a professional and personal level. The benefits were excellent.

Circa 2002, Barringer Research was shortly bought out and by the UK-based Smiths Group/Smiths Aerospace and re-christened 'Smiths Detection'. Most of the Barringer technical and production personnel, who were the heart and soul of that excellent company fortunately remained with Smiths.

Unfortunately, as Smiths Detection, the Canadian branch of the company regressed from the outstanding 'Barringer Research' to what became a bloated corporation with a political atmosphere, excessive management and bureaucracy that stifled technical progress and undermined the genuine efforts of highly talented technical personnel to develop new technologies
  more... and products. There was also a gradual lack of appreciation and tangible rewards for the loyalty and hard work of technical and production personnel along with little or no pay increases or bonuses. Nevertheless, the technical people always remained professional and very pleasant to work and associate with towards the end (i.e. closure of the Canadian R&D and manufacturing branch).

Despite all the of the aforementioned changes, the experience, knowledge, personal relationships and friendships accumulated from employment with this entity have been extremely valuable!
Pros
Great People, Great technology, Fun job
Cons
Progression towards bad upper management, bureaucracy, lack of appreciation
Productive work environment
Electronics Assembler (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 February 2015
Typical day at work included setting up assembly lines, instructing co-workers and putting parts together. Testing was also a major component of the job.

Co-workers were pleasant and team players.
Enjoyable and Productive Environment
Lab Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON4 January 2015
A typical day at work required me to meet deadlines by completing prepared schedules. I had to learn how to manage my time and prioritize. Good communication between managements and co-workers were imperative in order to get the job done. the hardest part of this job was prioritizes because most time everything was priority, and that was where communication was essential. Although, getting the job by deadline was a challenge at times, the work environment was pleasant and fun which made the job easier. Everyone got along with each other. We were like family.
Pros
every culture was celebrated
Cons
Amazing company to work for, really take an interest in your development
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 October 2014
I have worked for Smiths Detection for close to 14 years and it has been an amazing experiance. Aside from loving the products themselfs as they were very interesting and fun products that were geared towards emergency responders, Military personnel and Security personnel, Smiths Detection was my number one supporter for ensuring I developed my talents and gained the experiance required to enhance my Career as I grew with them.

I will forever be grateful to have the experiance to work with Smiths Detection.
Best place to work.
Electro Mechanical Assembler (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 August 2014
Very good work environment. Gained excellent knowledge and experience. Friendly and team work environment. Multiple task sharing.
Pros
Free Tea/Coffee
Cons
Suitable over time
Technician (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON21 March 2014
At Smiths' Detection I came to know and learnt about an amazing technology namely " Ion Mobility Spectrometry ". Using this technology the security personnel at the airports and ports of entry can detect particles as small as 1 nano-gram of illegal drugs, and/or explosive or hazardous chemical substances.

Work atmosphere at Smiths' is superb and enjoyable. The only reason looking for another job is that Smiths' business seems to be getting slow and slower as time passes and chances are that they will lay off many of their personnel.
Pros
Flexible work time
Cons
Future is not dependable
Professional and decent company with very good benefits
Supply chain and Logistics (Former Employee) –  Toronto6 August 2013
I was with Smiths for 2 years and it is a busy company. Benefits are competitive and atmosphere is professional. I wish I could have stayed but my advancement was not forth coming.
Pros
Educational reimbursements, professional training