Smiles Dental Group

Smiles Dental Group Employee Reviews

Canada12 reviews

not a long term job

typical work day is busy, unorganized and unprofessional. there is a high turn over of staff members most enjoyable part of day is lunch break and end of day shift

Official response from Smiles Dental Group

9 December 2021
Thank you for your valued comment. We have recognized that in the past, there definitely was a high turnover rate. We have worked hard to improve this and can happily say that there has been an improvement and more job satisfaction with our employees.

Learning opportunity

Great learning environment. Fun culture. Started without experience and received on the job training. Staff were nice and it was a good team to be working with.

Pros

Lunches, activities

Insights into Smiles Dental Group

Areas for improvement
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Overall satisfaction
  • Clear sense of purpose

Fun place to work

I moved from Alberta or I would have stayed on longterm. I enjoyed working for smiles and liked the staff I worked with in the clinic. It was a good learning experience.

Pros

Support

Cons

Challenging patients

Stressful and Unappreciative

The owners of this company do not care about their staff and expect their staff to work long hours with little compensation. Management is unorganized and unprofessional. Their employees would be far more productive if they weren't hindered by constant micromanaging. Don't trust anyone in this workplace as gossip is prevalent. Also, don't be surprised when your hard work is undermined and devalued. This company is run by individuals who may act nice but really only see you as a means to cover for their own ineptitude. A lot of competent staff are taken for granted. There's a high turnover rate for a reason.

Pros

Cons

Long hours, poor management, ungrateful owners

Unorganized, stressful work environment

The positive reviews about were 100% written by the owners. They use to get us to write in positive reviews online all the time. Staff turnover is high, which it is evident why. Horrible management, very micromanaged. Poor dentistry, dentists are over booked so are always rushing from person to person. Patients are also like a revolving door. They very rarely come back. The offices are always short staffed and the job expectations are ridiculous. This is just a money hungry company. They bill patients for anything they are covered for whether they need it or not. Worst job I have ever done.

Pros

Cons

Open 365 days a year

Contantly overworked and getting criticized

This is an awful clinic to work at. Incredibly overbooked because the dentist just wants to make money, but not staffed enough for how they book. Dentists are constantly falling behind and everything that goes wrong gets blamed on someone else. Nearly every shift I was pulled aside to be told about how something was missed or how I needed to keep on top of something that shouldn't have been my responsibility (ex. Constantly reminding the dentist which patients were waiting for him) even though I was already super busy with sterilization (what I was actually hired for). Basically you can never meet their standards, will always get yelled at and almost always end up working 2 hours longer than you're scheduled because they fell behind. There were 3 girls working in sterilization and all of us ended up quitting after not working there long due to the bad work environment.

Pros

Literally only like 2 of the assistants that were nice

Cons

Management, The owning dentist, overtime, low pay

Fun and positive work place

Loved the job. Would recommend this company to anyone looking to grow and start a career. Was a good opportunity to improve my abilities and learn at a quick pace.

Pros

Lunches, benefits, hours

Cons

Strict protocols

Worst place to work

To begin with, they just throw you to manage and know everything on the very first day of the job without any help from your manager or co-workers, office gossips, poor management, horrible Manager, no respect for your work, favoritism dominates in this company, this job has huge potential to take a great toll on your mental level and personal life, stay away from them.

Horrible

Low company morale. High expectations with no training whatsoever ever. Extremely high turnover. No faith in the people they hire. They don’t like it when you ask question regarding your role.

Arrogant, Office Gossip, & Power-Tripping Middle Management

Provided little on-job training, unfriendly middle management who like to push their weight around while gossiping about other employees and even customers. High turnover and low pay with a very low office morale. The owner doesn't care about the employees as you will se in the interview process if you decide that route. He is rude, and thinks of you as a number not as a person trying to build a career. If you enjoy being micromanaged, overworked and under payed, supervised by mid level managers with a lack of education, and no job security this may be the place. If you're looking for rewarding work, fair compensation, fun atmosphere and a place to grow within, I work recommend bypassing Smiles and keep you're search going. You'll be happier in the long run.

Horrible work place

This is Not a place to start to practice right from graduating nor a place to work for long term. Always short staff because of the high volume of turn overs. No proper training, you just get thrown in on the job and then expected to know everything, then get yelled at. Be prepare to run all day, sometimes no lunch. There are no breaks and almost everyday running behind schedule. Poor communication with staff members and management.

Pros

Every other Friday work half day

Cons

Long hours, poor communication, bad management etc

1st 6 months of employment is not free

This company charges you $500 for training if you quit before 6 months of employment. There is no real training program in place just regular employment. Depending on location....be prepared to run for 8+ hours a day with out a break.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Smiles Dental Group. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.3 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement