SmartStyle Employee Reviews

Found 25 reviews matching the search See all 1,230 reviews
une belle gang
Coiffeuse (Former Employee) –  Blainville, QC12 March 2019
mon expérience à ce salon fut courte mais ce fut une belle expérience
horrible place to get an apprenticeship
hair stylist (Former Employee) –  Fredericton New Brunswick11 March 2019
The women who run's this store treats her employees with disrespect, She scares them with threats or job loss, if they try to clean she gets mad, They do not clean Brushes /combs... She tends to lose what hour's they have worked and they pay employees poorly, yet expects them to work long hours. , She never keeps track of hours if an employee is doing an apprenticeship, I would not recommend this salon , i feel for those seeking employment here , or an apprenticeship This Salon is in Fredericton New Brunswick,
Poorly managed .
Pros
Cons
poorly managed, work long hours with little pay, no chance for advancement
environnement de travail agréable
Coiffeuse (Former Employee) –  Victoriaville, QC3 February 2019
es coiffeurs et les barbiers coupent les cheveux, font des mises en plis et offrent des services connexes. Ils travaillent dans des salons de coiffure, des salons de barbier, des écoles de formation professionnelle, des établissements de soins de santé, des théâtres et des studios de cinéma ou de télévision.
no customers
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  GTA, ON13 January 2019
there were less than 50 customers at the time that i was employed there
i really cant say much
i went to unpaid classes to learn
i ate a meal less than 1 time each day
Fun place to work
Hairstylist Apprentice (Former Employee) –  Owen Sound, ON20 July 2018
I loved working for smart style. I worked with awesome ladies and had great customers. product sales are easy with the flow of Walmart customers as well.
Pros
fun, great customers
Cons
alot of people dont know about smart style in walmarts
Good place to work starting out.Not so good if you like to make money.
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC4 June 2018
Understaffed and underpaid. No advancement opportunities. Education is limited to basic skills and common sense courses online. Staff not supported for any extra courses outside of (Regis Corp) education.
The pay structure is terrible and you don't make any money no matter how hard you work. Not much positive to say about this place other than you are garanteed to at least make minimum wage.
Pros
Always a paycheck
Cons
Low pay
Job was fine, management was great
Stylist (Former Employee) –  Airdrie, AB21 May 2018
Random schedules made it hard to get a clientel. Never having a weekend off made having a hoe life a struggle. However, loved the manager, she was awesome to work for.
great place to work
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  Waterdown, ON9 February 2018
I love meeting new people everyday no clientelle nedded they come to you only complaint is the manager no respect for her staff but overall love what I do
Pros
beefits
Cons
working sundays
Favourite salon I have worked at
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Abbotsford, BC12 October 2017
The people that work here are very friendly and management is great. I don't have anything bad to say about this salon, it was always a fun time even if it was slow.
We have everything you need to succeed as a stylist!
Salon Leader (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 October 2017
Working inside Walmart with thousands of customers walking by the SmartStyle salon everyday can become your guests! And once they're your guest, they are going to tell their family and friends, who could become referral guests, There are thousands of potential guests waiting for you!

Want to know more about SmartStyle?

Ask a question
Good experience if you are starting out as a nee stylist
Employee (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON1 June 2017
Working at Smartstyle has it's up's and down's.
It is VERY good if you are starting off and you want to grow faster in your cuts and service.
Not so good if you stick with them and no other salon...you could be working with some very unproffesional employees and even an acting manager. Oh yeah. And since it's in walmart the floor was stained beyond repair, one broken chair, hair all over the backroom, colour stains on chairs...in short: it's a dirty salon if they are cheap to fix it.

Oh YES...I almost forgot. Trying to ask for time off, especially for religious holiday reasons is almost impossible there. Better to work at a Sunday-Monday salon, even self-employment so you can choose your hours.
Pros
Good cutting experience, good pay.
Cons
Long hours, high turnover, walk-in basis, very unproffesional salon
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL7 October 2016
Good place to work the hours are all over for place which I am not to happy about. But as of right now we are short staff
Great co workers
Pros
Free pizza once a month
Cons
It's a Monday - Sunday job
Horrible Atmosphere Even Worse Manager
Hairstylist (Current Employee) –  Chatham-Kent, ON18 August 2016
No training. Everyone at the walmart checkouts stare at you while you do hair. No one with any skills works here. Manager knows nothing about hair, or business. She picks favorites and singles you out if you aren't on her good side. NOT PROFESSIONAL AT ALL. DO NOT WORK HERE!!!!
Educational workplace with Benefits
Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Rymal, ON23 May 2016
I have worked in this establishment for 2 1/2 years. There are many benefits to this job, you receive benefits and get paid either hourly or by commission. You start of by hourly and when you become frequently busy you receive commission. This company provides many educational opportunities which is great because not many salons offer that. Every Location is differently run and you will not know what the environment is like until you start. As long as you have a flexible schedule and are a reliable punctual employee there should not be any problems in this work place. It can be a fast paced workplace and usually I find the smart style locations get a large variety of service (colour, style,and cut) which is wonderful because there are many just cut and go salons. You get paid minimum wage, unless you become a manger or district leader. You do get to keep all of your tips which helps. If you plan to stay in the company for a long time and would like to become a manger/district leader when the positions are available it could end up being a wonderful place to work in the long run. Every employee environment is different but I found most employees and their managers are very friendly and understanding.Overall a great workplace and a friendly environment.
Pros
Free education, benefits, commission/or hourly, variety of services, keep all tips
hairstylist
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  Keswick, ON2 May 2016
This job was a great work experience, where I learnt to properly greet and service customers. Cleanliness of my station and work area. Obtain a professional performance all day and every day.
We had to work with chemicals and create a safe environment when applying color on a client along with keeping our guest happy. This was a great opportunity to offer sales of product to our guest.
Awful Salon
Hairstylist (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 August 2015
Treated me so bad, manager expected way too much from me. Coworkers were catty and drama. Boring and slow salon, no traffic.
No permeant schedule, always had to call in or they let me know when i work which was stressful.
Pros
In a walmart, easy access to food
Cons
Exactly what i wrote there
good job
Manager/ HairStylist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 August 2015
This company is great. the job offers benefits and great hours. Lot of opportunities to make commission. friendly work environment.
It was like running a daycare
Manager/Stylist (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON3 August 2015
The entire experience was a nightmare. Unreliable staff, staff turn over, walk-in system so overlap in chemical services, head office over ruling management.
Should be called "Dumb Style"
Manager (Former Employee) –  Milton, ON27 October 2014
I was Manager/Hairstylist
They are a terrible company!!
All they care about is pushing product
And hire unexperienced stylist.!!
Head office is horrible..
No appreciation for hard work..
Do yourself a favour.. Do not work in any location!!!
Pros
Customers
Cons
Management.. Lousy pay
Like the customers
Hairstylist at Regis (Current Employee) –  Abbotsford12 September 2014
Like making customers feel good.
Like cutting hair and styling.
Relaxed environment.
Pros
Bennefits
Cons
Not busy enough

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SmartStyle. Our community is ready to answer.