Smart & Biggar

Smart & Biggar Employee Reviews

Canada13 reviews
Work is not too difficult but management doesn't care
training is quick and the people you work around are professional but not overly friendly. Some people try to do less and leave the work for others to complete. Accuracy is not always very good.
Pros
downtown area
Cons
expectations are high
Think twice before leaving a good job
I've made a mistake of leaving a good company for them. Training is a joke, deadlines are a complete mess. Very poor organization and management enjoys drama to the next level. Very sad place, so happy I left. And feel sorry to those who stayed.
Pros
Cons
Horrible attitude, chaotic training
Changing culture, but for the better
Some things are slow to change, but that's the nature of an old law firm. However, the people are all very nice, and it's a great environment to work in. I learned A LOT in my stay at the firm.
Low pay, terrible managers
Smart & Biggar has terrible managers, they mass fire on a regular basis, they don’t give raises, their salary levels are very low, there’s no advancement opportunities, they don’t support their staff, they don’t deserve the loyalty of their hardworking employees.
Productive workplace with professional staff
A typical day at Smart & Biggar would be super busy with processing 1000's of Patent files daily. Management was ok and the workplace culture was just developing to feel more inclusive for everyone.
The hardest part of this job was staying on top of processing mountains of CIPO mail daily. The most enjoyable part of this job was the teamwork and how we all got along like good friends daily.
Benefits
Cons
No cons for me.
Terrible
Worked here for 9 years. The pay started off good, and then the raised stopped altogether. Management/supervisors act like superior beings and dump work on you even if you are super busy. And the seemingly random firings were absurd. Overtime is unspoken, but mandatory if you don’t want to get in trouble. Sooo glad I quit.
Pros
Literally none
Cons
Low pay, below average benefits, random firings
Legal Assistant
Lots of support for assistants here and was a good place to work. I worked here while I lived in Quebec, I liked the fast pace of the job and the management.
Low pay good starting firm
The pay is low not even close to industry standard.

Mangement could care less about you. They don’t care about you.

There is zero and I mean zero advancement I spent 8 years in the same department

Yearly raises were minamal or non essistent
Pros
Easy can do very little and get by
Cons
Low wage no advancement
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Smart & Biggar?
A company that doesn't yet have their values straight
Training is chaotic 90% of the time - pressure to do everything perfectly with guidance that is sometimes unclear and incomplete.
Poorly value their employees. Work culture is poor - it is somewhat tribal and hard to feel welcome as a new employee. They do not seem to care about their employees - only about getting the results out of them.
Pros
generous vacation time
Cons
poor training
You don't want to work here as an associate
You really don't want to work here if you are expecting training or any sort for mentorship. The only thing I got from working here was stress, literally no one cares about you.

Don't work here
Pros
N/a
Cons
long hours, stress, no one cares
they look out for themselves
i loved working there, the people are great and the work is constant and rewarding. I learned to handle urgent issues, pacing and the need to doing things right the first time.
Pros
salary
Cons
no job security
productive.
outdated tools to complete jobs. inadequate support when needed. Taught me how to manage my time and maintain composure under pressure. I enjoyed working with my coworkers. Hardest part was inadequate resources and tools for job.
Pros
flexible
Cons
insecurity
Excellent and generous employer
Excellent and generous employer; busy productive environment; Wonderful supervisor; friendly atmosphere; generous vacation; good pay; professional.