Sleegers Engineered Products Inc. Employee Reviews

Grasping at thin air
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 December 2019
Managements pathetic attempts to boost their review ratings are ludicrous. It was admitted internally that top management is intentionally leaving their biased opinions in the hopes of redeeming the toxic atmosphere that truly exists. But hey, pizza party, you must be grateful...

Acknowledge the realistic reviews left by the workers, not the fairy tales from the silver spoon fed individuals.
Run, run, run!
Flunky (Former Employee) –  London, ON4 December 2019
Unsafe, like crazy. They put people on Gantry lifts that have no former training or any business being on them at all. Everybody is paid differently there. Management is a joke. The Q.C. guy is a waste of groceries, what a goof. How many propane kiosks does the world need. Really.
The best place I have ever worked.
Long Seam Welder (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 December 2019
Sleegers is such a good place to work. The hours are amazing, three day weekends with voluntary over time? How could you say no to that? I wish that I could have stayed there longer than what I have, but under my circumstances, I had to quit and move to a different city. But this place has been so good to me and the managment has shown respect and understanding to me. Highly reccomend working here.
Like a kindergarden classroom
Labourer (Former Employee) –  Doesn't matter5 November 2019
Management is unprofessional and lazy I've seen a better management team at a Tim hortons. There is no control of this place all the way from the top of the food chain down its ran by its solid employees on the floor in which the shop supervisors are useless when it comes to working together as a team with them. If you like naps during working hours this is the place for you
Not worth the headache
Welder/Fitter (Former Employee) –  London, ON29 October 2019
My review of sleegers is as follows,

The quality department manager is arrogant an extremely self centered , he often belittles his co-workers and lies his way out of issues everytime. This Quality team has absolutely no accountability or authority what's so ever. Yet are scrutinized daily. The moral on the floor is always poor and generally hostile.

The production leader is one of the biggest problems with the place. He talks poorly to employees, degrades women, and is never wrong. He's constantly talking behind other's backs, he's racist and has poor hygiene... And when I was there had lost all respect on the floor. He has two side kicks who are completely uneducated and have basically worked nowhere else but have been molded the sleegers way. The supervisors have made so many enemies that I doubt they'll be able to work anywhere in London outside of those walls.

There is an extremely high turnover, in office and production employees. You hardly see any lay-offs but they do an annual firing blitz of whoever isn't on the cool list at the time which is often organized by the production leader's little sidekicks.

If you do get hired and or decide to take a job there, find the guys who are pro union as they are the solid ones and will train you properly.

Needs to be unionized as it is too top heavy and unorganized. There is no such thing as seniority at sleegers either just favouritism and unequal opportunity.

Signed,

The loyal employee that quit after nine years.
Pros
Cons
see review
Awful. Worst Years of my Career
Leader (Former Employee) –  London, ON22 October 2019
Avoid at all costs. This is by far the worst company i have ever worked for. You don’t receive praise or recognition, time off is frowned upon, expect you to work overtime with no benefits or pay. The pay is a joke for the amount of work they ask you to do. It is a high stress environment in which management, instead of educating you when you make a mistake, goes behind your back and attacks your character to otto your fellow coworkers.You are often the last person to find out you made a mistake... and it is usually not done in a constructive manner. Management is rude and yells and is aan absolute disaster.
Good place to work where there is a lot to learn
Operations Engineering Technologist (Former Employee) –  London, ON5 October 2019
Working for this company was a great experience and gave ample amounts of learning experiences to go with my time there. Management made you aware of any mistakes you made and did not chastise you for making. But would take the time to explain why it was a mistake and how to correct them for future reference. During my time there I was able to learn a great many thing such as how to operate and program for CNC plasma and bending machines, work with and design using solidworks.
Great culture, great benefits, great place to work
Welder (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 September 2019
I was an employee of SLEEGERS Engineered Products Inc. for 4 years and 9 months. I left on good terms when my girlfriend moved out east. The culture at SLEEGERS is truly positive and unique in a really good way. The building environment is unlike most production spaces I’ve ever seen. There is bright LED lighting all throughout the production floor, extra high ceilings with skylights in the roof which makes it really bright and spacious, and everything is really clean throughout. SLEEGERS put in a high tech air exchange system a couple years back. Even though it’s a weld shop, there is no weld smoke. I’ll never forget when the leadership team decided to supply all employees with 3M PAPR 9100 MP weld helmets back in the summer of 2015. The owner said during one of his regular floor talks that it wasn’t right that the industry takes young welders straight out of school and makes them buy their own welding helmet. Vision for the young guys is just as important as the older guys that can afford it and at SLEEGERS you are supplied with top of the line PPE from day one at no cost to you. That went a long way especially as I was starting out. I haven't found a job like the one I left and I miss working at SLEEGERS. Leadership always cared about what was going on in my life. Even the owner new me by name. He talks to everyone and makes it a priority to get to know you. Working here felt like being part of a one big team all working for the same goal. I never felt like I was told to do something, I just did my part along with everyone else. If you’re looking to work for a company that  more... cares for its employees just as much as it cares for its customers, SLEEGERS is your spot.  less
Pros
free lunches, no lay offs, no shifts, voluntary overtime, 3-day weekends
Horrible
Mechanical Designer (Former Employee) –  London, ON20 September 2019
Worst place I ever worked. I am an experienced designer, and they paid wages of someone just out of school, and expected you to work crazy hours for free with the expectation of a bonus that I never got - this place was a stepping stone, and I worked there until I found somewhere else. Very high turnover rate, inexperienced staff - what do you expect when people are leaving because wages are so low.
Awful, Life Draining and Unsafe.
Electromechanical Technician (Former Employee) –  London, ON19 September 2019
An absolute dog and pony show on a good day, Sleegers Engineering is positively the worst company I have ever been employed by. The management team bullies and overworks their employees. When I was interviewed by the plant manager I was assured that the turnover rate is extremely low and that people loved working there. Within my first week on the floor I learned that management had lied to my face in the interview and that 6 employees had been fired only two weeks earlier. Within my four month tenure with the company, I watched as at least 10 other workers were fired for petty reasons and 10 more quit because the factory was so poorly run/managed.

If you even TALK about a union and management hears of it, you are walked out immediately. Some people have been working in this factory 20+ years and are important assets to the company, but no one on the shop floor makes more than $25 an hour. They will start you at $17 and hour and give you a 25 cent raise after 3 months of you being your departments most valuable employee.

Management is unprofessional and often oversteps their bounds. They also set unrealistic goals and I have even seen a team leader make an older female employee cry trying to push higher numbers. Also is an insanely unsafe work environment. When I started, I was trained for literally 2 days before being pushed off on my own to build pressurized PROPANE fuel cells that go under school buses! The toxic culture of upper management absolutely drains the employees of any actual motivation or happiness. The air is unclean. The people are generally unsociable.
  more...

PLEASE DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER THIS JOB IF YOU HAVE ANY SELF RESPECT.
Don’t waste your time with this place it’s a joke
Welder/Fitter (Current Employee) –  London, ON30 July 2019
Laid off a week before my 3 month probationary period. Terrible staff that only care for themselves and use workers. Should be unionized, hard work for little pay, working long hours where they expect overtime with little to no heat breaks. 2, 10 minute breaks that turn into 5 minutes if u are lucky. No tools for new people so u have to steal everything. Expect u to wear old coveralls used by previous employees for first 3 months
Proceed with caution
Production (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 June 2019
Highest turnover rate ever experienced in the manufacturing industry. If you want to work for a bunch of clowns, apply to the circus instead maybe even McDonald's.
Cons
Kills you slowly
Perfect example of micromanagement
engineer (Former Employee) –  london27 February 2019
A bureaucracy populated by young engineers with no substantial work experience. A QA / QC department with no real authority. This company is a stepping stone for lazy engineers to claim experience in the pressure vessel industry. Reality is they produce cookie cutter products and the engineers use software to design. Not really engineers are they.

High turn around
Pros
nothing
Cons
management
i liked it there
Assembler (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 January 2019
pretty good place to work. i was there a month, i left because i had some $ i came into. people were nice.. never had an issue with management.. good place
Pros
good ppl to work with
Cons
nope
Poorly Managed, Extreme Favourtism, Basically a Highschool
Welder/Labourer (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 January 2019
The managers play favouritism, and punishment rather than correction and teaching.

There is no structure to how tasks are given out, it is purely based on how managers feel about you as an employee that day. They pick and choose favourites, and punish others strictly on the personal beliefs of the managers/lead hands, rather than the skill/work ethic.

There is no set wage, and due to being not unionized - they often hire unqualified or foreign workers and pay them significantly less than other companies. (So to my newcomers reading this - PLEASE PICK ANOTHER COMPANY). They have no real scale as to when and how they set wages or increase empolyee's pay. They often promise you promotion, and then will take away at any given moment with no reason given.

The head lead hands and management are comparable to a highschool clique. They gossip, bully, and play unfair as long as it is always to their advantage.

I could not believe how poorly this place is ran. There was maybe 1 pro about this place, but I'm not even going to mention it because my point is..... do NOT work here.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, underpaid, management, poor supervision, wage, no opportunity, harassment, bullying
very productive
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  London, ON23 October 2018
i learnt how to work as a team and individually. the management is great, very productive and very well organised. the work place culture gives out a comfortable and welcoming one.
good place to work
Industrial Painter (Former Employee) –  London, ON7 September 2018
my days at sleegars were long. the pay and management were good. I left on good terms. Just looking to go in a different direction. I would prefer house keeping but my options are open.
Good Place to work
B Pressure Welder (Former Employee) –  London, ON2 August 2018
Job was good the co workers were ok to get along with but the Salary was far below what I am used to from all my years working in Alberta eventually I had to leave as my Daughter became terminally ill. And right away was hired back to the company I worked for before coming to Ontario.
Dont do it
Shipping and Administration (Former Employee) –  London, ON9 May 2016
This is by far the worst place to work. Management is just plain mean. You will be embarrassed in front of all staff.
I could compare this to the classroom in the movie Matilda where all are afraid of the principal.
The owner is completely out of control and enjoys tearing a strip off staff in front of everyone.
fun and friendly
Welder (Former Employee) –  London, ON1 December 2014
a great experience all around. great communication between management and employee's, high standards, team environment, opportunities to learn additional skills with friendly and experienced trainers
Pros
straight days, good benefits, welcoming environment
Cons
wage

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Sleegers Engineered Products Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.5