Sleegers Engineered Products Inc.

Sleegers Engineered Products Inc. Employee Reviews

The factory is not unionized, so the management flies by the seat of their pants. They choose new favourites each week. They punish employees who disagree with them by rearranging how the factory works. No job security. Hire unqualified people. People are paid different wages, whether or not they are new or have been there for years. There is no real scale/method to how people's wages are chosen. The week is a 4-day week, with opportunity of overtime - which is the only plus.
Pros
shorter work week
Cons
no job security, poor management, favouritism, imbalance of wages
I went in to this employment with a positive attitude, which unfortunately dissipated within the six months.Most of the management team do not support the team, most are very dishonest with the team but expect honesty and loyalty in return. They do not encourage teamwork, causing a spoiled environment. Management treat individuals differently, by colour, by gender. Being a woman appears to be the lowest on the totem pole, not worthy or intelligent enough to engage in a work related conversation.Supervisors have absolutely no people skills, because of their on job experience they were promoted to positions that as a whole they were not qualified to successfully achieve.
Pros
No break buzzers, supplied uniforms.
Cons
Mostly everything
Management favouritism. Contradicting information from supervisor. Wage increases and performance reviews not honoured. Will terminate without cause. My experience was horrible, even worse during this COVID pandemic with a lay off and being let go without cause Only 6 works days after being called back from a 2 month lay off. Mention anything about a union and you will be terminated immediately.
Pros
Im no longer employed by Sleegers.
Very fat rude boy will give you evil eye. Don work for dem because they will drain you of your soul. No one talks about the rude fat man because they are scared of being fired. He’s a rude rude boy, gonna get you fired if you ask for water during werk.
Pros
Cons
Little rude fat man
I was a welder/fitter for 18 months at Sleegers engineered products. It was by far the worst working experience of my life. The welding supervisor is extremely arrogant and demeaning, and he knows it. So does management. They don’t care and always have his back. He trains by negative re-enforcement and has zero sympathy for you if you’re a new welder or worker. During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic employees were given the option to stay home if they didn’t feel safe at the plant. These employees were mocked behind their backs being called useless by management and supervisors. If you dared breathe the word union or unionization. You and anybody else in on it will be fired immediately. The quality control team is a absolute joke. There is no consistency between any of their opinions. It’s all about how the guy inspecting is feeling personally, and how he feels about you as a welder that day. Many of us just tried our best. We had no clue as to what the quality standard was because it was constantly changing. If you want a raise. You must be perfect. You will have to consistently work overtime every weekend for months on end and not miss a beat. No defects, no mistakes, perfection. And chances are you’ll only get 50 cents if that. The Owner of Sleegers and his son truly believe they are one of the best employers in the city of London. Every now and then the owner will buy pizza for the workers and remind you what a valued team member you are lol. He classic catch phrase is “if you’re not happy here. Go be miserable somewhere else”. That’s exactly what I recommend - more...
Pros
Zero!!
Cons
Working there
Management cliquey, mention union fear termination without cause. Daily harassment by one particular supervisor part of the clique. Beware of this co.
Pros
Excellent hard working co-workers
Cons
The management clique.
Don't work here. First and last factory never been union but would consider it here it's needed. Don't get your hopes up here. I'd work a temp service before going back. Management trys to figure you and live and family just to manipulate you to work more hour. "Want a raise? Work more hours." Hearassing shop manager. Great floor workers and few team leaders and sh!tty manager. Don't work here.
Pros
4 day work week
Cons
Expedited Fri if anytime missed.
Management is dysfunctional. Watch your back all the time.They treat you poorly just "because" . Silent discrimination. No training, no support provided. Do not waste your time and health there.
This company has built its reputation on the backs of its badly abused employees. And their reputation is BAD. No one worth anything stays there long. QA/QC is an absolute joke. Whoever the president of this company is.... they need to be fired. They have an on site dedicated TSSA inspector in their pocket
I feel sorry for anyone who needs and wants to work and do a good job and then ends up at Sleegers. They will be bullied and lied to and put in to unsafe work conditions. Just read the other reviews and take note of their hiring blitz - high turnover at this place. I wonder why the shareholders have not taken notice of the reviews. The arrogance of management and the engineering group is unbelievable.
Managements pathetic attempts to boost their review ratings are ludicrous. It was admitted internally that top management is intentionally leaving their biased opinions in the hopes of redeeming the toxic atmosphere that truly exists. But hey, pizza party, you must be grateful... Acknowledge the realistic reviews left by the workers, not the fairy tales from the silver spoon fed individuals.
Unsafe, like crazy. They put people on Gantry lifts that have no former training or any business being on them at all. Everybody is paid differently there. Management is a joke. The Q.C. guy is a waste of groceries, what a goof. How many propane kiosks does the world need. Really.
Sleegers is such a good place to work. The hours are amazing, three day weekends with voluntary over time? How could you say no to that? I wish that I could have stayed there longer than what I have, but under my circumstances, I had to quit and move to a different city. But this place has been so good to me and the managment has shown respect and understanding to me. Highly reccomend working here.
Management is unprofessional and lazy I've seen a better management team at a Tim hortons. There is no control of this place all the way from the top of the food chain down its ran by its solid employees on the floor in which the shop supervisors are useless when it comes to working together as a team with them. If you like naps during working hours this is the place for you
My review of sleegers is as follows, The quality department manager is arrogant an extremely self centered , he often belittles his co-workers and lies his way out of issues everytime. This Quality team has absolutely no accountability or authority what's so ever. Yet are scrutinized daily. The moral on the floor is always poor and generally hostile. The production leader is one of the biggest problems with the place. He talks poorly to employees, degrades women, and is never wrong. He's constantly talking behind other's backs, he's racist and has poor hygiene... And when I was there had lost all respect on the floor. He has two side kicks who are completely uneducated and have basically worked nowhere else but have been molded the sleegers way. The supervisors have made so many enemies that I doubt they'll be able to work anywhere in London outside of those walls. There is an extremely high turnover, in office and production employees. You hardly see any lay-offs but they do an annual firing blitz of whoever isn't on the cool list at the time which is often organized by the production leader's little sidekicks. If you do get hired and or decide to take a job there, find the guys who are pro union as they are the solid ones and will train you properly. Needs to be unionized as it is too top heavy and unorganized. There is no such thing as seniority at sleegers either just favouritism and unequal opportunity. Signed, The loyal employee that quit after nine years.
Pros
Cons
see review
Avoid at all costs. This is by far the worst company i have ever worked for. You don’t receive praise or recognition, time off is frowned upon, expect you to work overtime with no benefits or pay. The pay is a joke for the amount of work they ask you to do. It is a high stress environment in which management, instead of educating you when you make a mistake, goes behind your back and attacks your character to otto your fellow coworkers.You are often the last person to find out you made a mistake... and it is usually not done in a constructive manner. Management is rude and yells and is aan absolute disaster.
Working for this company was a great experience and gave ample amounts of learning experiences to go with my time there. Management made you aware of any mistakes you made and did not chastise you for making. But would take the time to explain why it was a mistake and how to correct them for future reference. During my time there I was able to learn a great many thing such as how to operate and program for CNC plasma and bending machines, work with and design using solidworks.
I was an employee of SLEEGERS Engineered Products Inc. for 4 years and 9 months. I left on good terms when my girlfriend moved out east. The culture at SLEEGERS is truly positive and unique in a really good way. The building environment is unlike most production spaces I’ve ever seen. There is bright LED lighting all throughout the production floor, extra high ceilings with skylights in the roof which makes it really bright and spacious, and everything is really clean throughout. SLEEGERS put in a high tech air exchange system a couple years back. Even though it’s a weld shop, there is no weld smoke. I’ll never forget when the leadership team decided to supply all employees with 3M PAPR 9100 MP weld helmets back in the summer of 2015. The owner said during one of his regular floor talks that it wasn’t right that the industry takes young welders straight out of school and makes them buy their own welding helmet. Vision for the young guys is just as important as the older guys that can afford it and at SLEEGERS you are supplied with top of the line PPE from day one at no cost to you. That went a long way especially as I was starting out. I haven't found a job like the one I left and I miss working at SLEEGERS. Leadership always cared about what was going on in my life. Even the owner new me by name. He talks to everyone and makes it a priority to get to know you. Working here felt like being part of a one big team all working for the same goal. I never felt like I was told to do something, I just did my part along with everyone else. If you’re looking to work for a company that - more...
Pros
free lunches, no lay offs, no shifts, voluntary overtime, 3-day weekends
Worst place I ever worked. I am an experienced designer, and they paid wages of someone just out of school, and expected you to work crazy hours for free with the expectation of a bonus that I never got - this place was a stepping stone, and I worked there until I found somewhere else. Very high turnover rate, inexperienced staff - what do you expect when people are leaving because wages are so low.
An absolute dog and pony show on a good day, Sleegers Engineering is positively the worst company I have ever been employed by. The management team bullies and overworks their employees. When I was interviewed by the plant manager I was assured that the turnover rate is extremely low and that people loved working there. Within my first week on the floor I learned that management had lied to my face in the interview and that 6 employees had been fired only two weeks earlier. Within my four month tenure with the company, I watched as at least 10 other workers were fired for petty reasons and 10 more quit because the factory was so poorly run/managed. If you even TALK about a union and management hears of it, you are walked out immediately. Some people have been working in this factory 20+ years and are important assets to the company, but no one on the shop floor makes more than $25 an hour. They will start you at $17 and hour and give you a 25 cent raise after 3 months of you being your departments most valuable employee. Management is unprofessional and often oversteps their bounds. They also set unrealistic goals and I have even seen a team leader make an older female employee cry trying to push higher numbers. Also is an insanely unsafe work environment. When I started, I was trained for literally 2 days before being pushed off on my own to build pressurized PROPANE fuel cells that go under school buses! The toxic culture of upper management absolutely drains the employees of any actual motivation or happiness. The air is unclean. The people are generally unsociable. - more...
Laid off a week before my 3 month probationary period. Terrible staff that only care for themselves and use workers. Should be unionized, hard work for little pay, working long hours where they expect overtime with little to no heat breaks. 2, 10 minute breaks that turn into 5 minutes if u are lucky. No tools for new people so u have to steal everything. Expect u to wear old coveralls used by previous employees for first 3 months