Sky Cafe Employee Reviews

Top management incompetent
PAYROLL COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC4 May 2019
With a payroll system that rivals Phoenix this company hires unqualified top management and expects salaried workers to perform unpaid overtime to clean up their mess. Poor communication and inadequate training.
Pros
Insurance plan the only pro
Cons
Payroll system management refers to as Dayfucker
Great Workplace, Great people
Commissary (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC14 September 2018
I had a great time working at sky cafe even though it was for a short period of time. The workers were very helpful and welcoming, I had felt very comfortable working at sky cafe and am glad for the experience i had.
Pros
Paid lunches
Cons
bad place for an experince
Driver/Operator (Former Employee) –  Toronto Pearson International Airport, ON8 August 2018
the ppl works there bad attitudes and there vehicles aren't safe and they don't provide windshield washer for there truck during winter and summer the ppl works there don't have experience they just work as just to do so
productive and good atmosphere
Food assembler (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 July 2018
staff members and all co- workers are friendly. i enjoyed a lot while working here. thy give you training before starting and help you to get your task done on time.
Pros
you cant get bore on this job
hectic and unorganized
Driver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 July 2018
Management is a pain and trucks are often broken. Dispatch is not trained. Supervisors are newer than the drivers.Cant ask about union. Unfriendly work environment.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Not guaranteed finish times.
YUL Montreal
Kitchen Crew (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC17 June 2018
Extremely poor management and working conditions. No air conditioner installed and during the summer it gets really hot and hard to work since it's all manual labor. Managment only seems to care about themselves as they have their own little air-conditioned room. No signs of raise in salary no matter how long you've worked there. Hours are very flexible and full of nice friendly employees.
Pros
free lunches at times
Cons
bad working conditions
Fun and happy place to work
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Dorval, QC24 May 2018
Very nice and clean place with very friendly staff and co workers my favorite job so far to this date would of loved to go back at the end of my contract.
Pros
Fun, friendly
Cons
Short staff, go in on sick days.
YYZ Toronto
Commissary Agent 2 (Current Employee) –  YYZ Toronto27 March 2018
My first impression of the Company was that it is a fast paced environment, which was quite intimidating at first but it ended up being fun once I got the hang of it.

My first day, I was given access to online training which explained what the company does coast to coast and how I fit into operations. Then the next 2 weeks I was training while working, it was a on-the-job kind of learning process. It helped a lot because I learned the right processes from the start.

There's a lot of information thrown at you but luckily the HR helps with everything and answers all of your questions...even the RAIC transport application, which took me forever!

Management is also pretty nice, they definitely set the standard straight from the get-go. The culture, is all about positive vibes and helping one another meet targets daily. That's why I like it here.
Pros
Uniforms nice, hard work is recognized and managements approachable
Cons
Creative on-the-job breaks, flights sometimes get delayed (but we get OT at 40 hours so kind of a win..)
Fun and Positive Environment - Many opportunities for advancement
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 March 2018
I've been working at Sky Cafe - YYZ location for the last two years and I can honestly say its been an amazing experience. There has recently been many positive changes in the company, including changes within the management that has impacted the entire operation in a positive way.

If you are looking for a job that could potentially turn into your career, I would highly recommend becoming a part of the team at Sky Cafe. There is ALOT of room for personal growth and advancements within the company, job opportunities are posted on a regular basis at the YYZ location, and also coast to coast - giving plenty of opportunity to all employees. Personally, since 2016 I've had the opportunity to advance in the company a total of 3 times - If you become apart of the team, show your initiative and motivation to work - it wont go unnoticed!
Pros
Personal advancements, Career Growth, Amazing Experience
Great company, amazing friendly coworkers and fun environment.
Commissary Agent 1 (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON27 March 2018
I have been here in the YYZ location for almost 2 years now and in all honesty so far it's been great, coworkers are down to earth and friendly, a very multicultural environment and lots and lots to learn as well.. plus working at Pearson International is a privilege for me.

I'm not sure why the last comment was posted regarding this location the way it was but from the day Sky Cafe started and with the changes made on various staff and upper level early last year everything have become much better, clean and organized, it's outstanding how things have changed now and I feel all of us have a secure job we can rely on.
Fun work environment
Transport supervisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON24 January 2017
the crews are great, and its lots of fun to work airside, however the management is a joke. they are very incapable of understanding what to do and how to go about doing it. I was the Supervisor and the employees and I got along very well however the management believes in talking down to everyone a pose to fairly compromising. bad experience.
Pros
Fun place to work
Cons
Management was very rude
I work at YHZ (Enfield) and it's a great place to work
Builder (Current Employee) –  YHZ7 January 2017
I just read the review from someone who used to work here and I'm not sure what they are talking about. I've been here for about six months and it has been great. The manager and supervisor are respectful, helpful and give all of us their support. I wish we were paid more, but we just got a $1.00 raise so I am not complaining.
Pros
Friendly management
Cons
Warehouse gets cold
Working at the airport - how great is that!
CA3 (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC7 January 2017
I work at the Kelowna location with Sky Café. Having just retired, I still wanted to keep busy and this was a great opportunity. I work during the winter at the warehouse building trolleys and atlas containers for the planes. We then drive the containers to the plane and load them on/off.

The management is very supportive and friendly and I love being a part of the industry. Flight staff and ground crew are always great.

The hardest part of the job is if the airline changes the type of plane coming in. Then we have to scramble a bit to rebuild for the correct type of trolleys and atlas containers.
Pros
Being so close to the planes and seeing the workings of an airport
Cons
Flights can be delayed and then you have to wait for them
Strong leadership
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON25 October 2016
Company has strong upper management, it is always difficult in the airline industry. The company has a strong future and shouldn't risk losing any current contracts.
Pros
good corporate values
Poor workplace culture and task management
Commissary Agent I (Former Employee) –  Enfield, NS1 May 2016
This review is for Sky Cafe, the airline catering service in Canada, not the catering service in the UK. This review specifically refers to the Halifax location.

The Commissary Agent position requires the cleaning and loading of airline trolleys for snacks and drinks on-board flights departing from Halifax on specific carriers. The workplace is cramped and unorganized, with messages about changing requirements from the airlines being hidden on a whiteboard behind an open door.

The employees hate each other, often threatening violence and engaging in screaming matches. Management considers this situation normal, and as they schedule their workers for 60-hour weeks and have a high turnover, this may be true. This company took on another contract despite being unable to manage the contract they had. They pay slightly more than minimum wage.

The building and lot are cramped, and the sewer vents right next to the office door. The company is too small to afford a better building, but chooses to focus on that rather than the problems that they can fix, such as toxic employee relations and understaffing.
Pros
Occasional free food, hotel stays in severe snowstorms
Cons
Extensive hours, toxic employee culture, low wage, poor communication