SkipTheDishes Pay & Benefits reviews

Worst Company ever
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON29 April 2018
No proper management
No structured pay. Call center reps wont provide a straight answer. Used to be good when it started with all the bonuses, now they are taking advantage of the drivers.
they pay 3.65 to maximum of $7 for a 20 min (11-14 km) drive. So think about how much gas you are spending.
Sometimes have to wait for 20 min at a restaurant and they wont pay for waiting. All they say is their system will monitor wait time and pay for it which never happened. I had to wait for 20 min once and 15 min many times. Skip team is useless to help with any questions. stay away from this company.

If you really want money, better go with UBER.
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
terrible management, poor pay, long wait times between orders, knowledge of skip team is the worst
Glorified Call Centre
Partnership Success Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 April 2018
Skip likes to talk about "culture" and "fit" and being a "start up" and while those buzz words may get you excited about working for a growing company, they shouldn't.

Their on-boarding process is pathetic. They'll hire you for a job that sounds amazing but tell you very little about what it actually is. Then they make you go through a month of cross training in various other roles including live support which is a straight up call centre. Once you finally get through that and you get to the team you'll be working for, you still don't have any idea what you're supposed to be doing but you'll realize that the entire place and every role within is call centre related. (Unless you're in the cool building with marketing)

Benefits are basic and nothing to be excited about, the "culture" is dirty bathrooms, dirty work stations, a 30 min unpaid break for an 8 hour shift, but hey there's free oatmeal!

Don't bother working for this place unless you're young and just getting started. If you have any work experience in anything, go use it somewhere else where you'll be more than a number in a call centre.
Pros
You can wear whatever you want. Some guy was walking around the office barefoot
Cons
Some guy was walking around the office barefoot
Payment is bad
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2018
You drive a lot and pay for your gas as well as ware and tare and payment is low pay. you dive about 30 mins for 1 job and most give you about 2 dollar tips. this job is ok if there are close deliveries and good tips.
Pros
Make your own shifts
Cons
bad pay
flexible time hours
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 April 2018
Also, You can work whenever you want to make money,
Salary can be really low. this is the pros and cons

They also do not pay for the gas and salvage value for the car.
Not happy with earnings
Courier Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON28 March 2018
They send you far away to pick up food and deliver food.
And only getting paid $3.50 - $5. You can make money if you get tip on top.
Delivered 6 trips - average drive was 10 to 12 kilometres and 20 to 25 minuets each trip and average pay was $4 each trip.
Think about gas money and car maintenance plus time you spend to pick up food from restaurant and delivery food to the customer.
Not worth it at all.
Another thing is they charge you $75 for delivery bag which is not even worth $25. And this is how they make money in front.
When I called them to quit and asked to return bag And want my money back ($75) they said sorry we can’t give you refund.
I said why you didn’t tell me that when I signed up with you and he said it’s our policy.
Cons
Long distance and time to drive. Car runs a lot compare to what you get paid. $75 bag charge.
Flexible hours, but meant to be a PART TIME job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON22 March 2018
Skip the Dishes is a great way to earn a little extra cash. However you need to have an open mind, zero expectations, and a positive attitude. You won't make the same amount each week, sometimes you won't get tipped, but on a whole its a pretty cool little side job. You do need to have a pretty decent data plan, and a fuel efficient car. While working for skip you do need to be reliable, be personable, and have patience. On a whole I like the job and with the right attitude it can be fun!
Pros
VERY Flexible Hours, a good way to earn some extra cash
Not Worth It!
Courier Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 March 2018
The only positive thing about working for Skip the Dishes is the flexibility of the shifts.

Just the start up costs of joining Skip is heavy.... You'll need:

Your own car and be able to pay for gas out of pocket
Smartphone with at least 2 gigs data
Pay at least 150$ for 2 delivery bags BEFORE getting a single shift

The pay is commission based that is calculated ONLY for the drive to the customer. !So your effectively only earning money for half the effort that goes into each delivery!. The tips you receive from customers is on average half than you would normally get at a similar job. The pay rate between deliveries of similar distance tends to be random.

At best on average you'll get 1 delivery per hour. Only getting more on rare occasions or the 1-2 "busy" days of the week.

The Operators on the Courier "Success" Team are terrible at their jobs. If you have a problem expect to wait 10min or more just to get their attention. They constantly mix-up information and tend to be quite rude when drivers do things "Exactly" as they supposed to.

This company has many divers already (Hundreds PER City). At one point I heard that Skip had almost 300 drivers in my city alone. Which limits extra shifts in the area.

Conclusion:

Low Pay
Pay for your own gas
Limited extra shifts available
Incompetent Operators/Dispatchers
Minimum 150$ start up cost

NOT WORTH IT!!!!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Terrible Pay and extremely rude Operators
Flexibility and a chance to meet all kinds of people
Food Courier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2018
I actually like SkipTheDishes network, and I use it to order food too, it's a great idea and Skip made it the best in town. I also like working for them, as I get to manage my own time. The pay isn't very good but its not bad as extra cash.
Good for Students who need some income
Courier (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB27 February 2018
Been working as a courier for Skip for now 2 months and as a student it is very easy money. A lot of reviews say that pay is poor but really pay all depends on the location and the amount of people, I average around $100 per 4 hour shift ($25 an hour) and my car only uses $10 in gas per shift.

There are many flaws with the system however, the dispatchers and people who help you on the chat feature are sometimes rude and inpatient. Another flaw is that you cannot decline an order such as orders where the money is low (<$6), cash orders (Hate them) and alcohol orders (where you have to carry a specific licence).

Overall, this is a good job for a student who needs money on the side to fall back on if they need it.
easy work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 February 2018
very good app that provides the information about deliveries. customer service is also very good and effective. also provide a huge variety in eatables from all corners of the town.
Pros
good tips from cutomers
flexible hours
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2018
The hours are really flexible and you can pick the days and hours you would like to work. The only downside is when people not give tips and house is really far
Simple second job
Driver/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 December 2017
I'm not sure why everyone on here complains about low earnings. In a 3 to 4 hour shift I typically earn $70 - $100. Doing this job is not rocket science, it's the easiest way I've ever earned extra money on top of my regular job. From my very first shift I thought the whole thing was brilliantly set up. Pick your hours and do your deliveries. Yes it's that simple.
Pros
Flexible and decent income
Cons
Winter driving sucks. It slows down the number of deliveries i can make.
Not worth the gas money
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 December 2017
This job caused a lot of wear and tear on my car, as well as makin me have to pay $60 in gas every day that i’m working. I had some trouble with the app, as well as being sent to a restaurant, and then getting there to find the order had dissapeared from my jobs list (no compensation was given for the gas and time I spent on these orders to receive $0.

However, you can bring friends with you to make the job easier and faster, the schedules are very flexible, and you can get to know a lot of new restaurants in your city.
Pros
Can bring friends, flexible hours
Cons
VERY low pay
Good for part time/ extra money
Courier (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB27 November 2017
Worked here for 5 months in Calgary.

- Only days worth working are Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- Their app is pretty reliable and simple to use
- Dispatch and call center seem to be run by 18-25 year olds who don't seem to care too much
- Be quiet and don't complain to dispatch or they will give you no deliveries/ ones with little to no tips
- Be wary of your reimbursements for waiting at restaurants, often they will not calculate them properly or not give you them at all
- Average between $60/$100 for a 3-4 hour shift
- Easy to get rid of shifts, schedule and pick-up shifts if you're bored
- 2000-3000km per month on your vehicle working 20 hours a week
- Paid every week which is nice
- Not every customer tips well and is nice so be prepared to smile anyway

Overall a relaxed job but it will put a ton of kilometers on your vehicle. Good for extra income or those who are having a hard time finding employment.
Pros
Easy to get hired, Relaxing, Good scheduling
Cons
Dispatch typically isn't useful or nice, WATCH your reimbursements, Lots of kilometers
Good ideas, but not keeping up with the exponential growth
Live Support (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB18 November 2017
This job would be great for someone fresh out of high school. However, there are plenty of problems as they seem unable to keep up with the growth of their network. They seem to be organized yet I talked to many customers who had issues that were never addressed. There is also a definite lack of adequate communication between some departments, which I found odd since the technology is there to smoothly communicate. "Flexible scheduling" means that if you have open availability expect to work evenings/nights a lot. The pay is not competitive. The parking situation makes it even less competitive when you are paying $200 a month to park. The benefits are not good either. That being said, management, while sometimes not experienced enough, is usually pretty good. And there are some definite stand out team leads that deserve a standing ovation for how hard they work. It can also be a fun environment. The time typically goes back quickly. As I said, it's a good first job, but if you have experience don't bother because you will end up frustrated.
Pros
Good team leaders, great coworkers, always busy
Cons
Pay and benefits are not competitive, poor communication, general confusion during busy times
Total rip off
courier (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 November 2017
so iv been doing this for 4 months now part time and by part time i mean 7-10 shifts a week of 4-8 hours a day. after working out my net profit ( after tax, gas, data used for maps) it averages to about 3-7$ an hour. plus the amount of extra miles on your car and depreciation you incur becuase of it. your essentially working for the sake of working. is your time worth 5$/hour?
Pros
Cons
everything
You might want to SKIP...Skip the dishes
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 November 2017
There is a reason everyday in Vancouver(probably most other cities) the radio airwaves are full of Skipthedishes,ads recruiting food delivery drivers. The promise of a flexible schedule and paid weekly sounds great. And yes it is true, but the bottom line is you are lucky to make the minimum wage.

You are not an employee you are an independent contractor. So you are responsible for taxes paid, you car costs, fuel , insurance and repair and incidentals like parking meters.

Not every customer tips and most are not overly generous with tips. The fee you make for deliveries is very low and most times hardly covers your cost of driving from your location , to the restaurant and
then to the customer. Then there is your time. You actually never get compensated for it.

Management is young and suspect. You are not well treated and really there are no benefits working with skip.
Cons
horrible salary
Better off with Pizza Pizza or Domino's
Food Courier (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON26 October 2017
No minimum wage, no insurance coverage, not worth it.
Pizza places normally pay an hourly wage plus something for each delivery and you get to keep your tips usually paid DAILY IN CASH!
Cons
too many couriers in calgary
Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 October 2017
they have flooded Calgary with too many couriers, now getting a pickup is like winning the lottery. you will be lucky to make 60$ in an entire day minus gas expenses. I spend 80% of my shift waiting for a pickup. the more couriers there are the less money you make. not worth it.
Pros
no bosses
Cons
not good pay, wear on car
Good way to earn money when unemployed or need a flexible part time job
COURIER (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB10 October 2017
This job is for people who are struggling finding a job at the moment or for those people who needs a flexible job. Being able to pick your own shift and choosw when you work has been really helpful. Its great if you have a fulltime job and is looking to make extra money.

Downside for this is you cant make this into a fulltime. If no one orders, you dont get money. Not reccomended for people whos looking for an actual job.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
No orders, no job

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SkipTheDishes. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8