SkipTheDishes logo
SkipTheDishes

SkipTheDishes Employee Reviews for Driver

Good only as a side job to a more normal one

You really don't get much cash from this on its own, and sometimes you can go hours without a single order. It can be a good source of pocket change but that's about it.

Pros

Very easy to work around

Cons

Barely any pay without generous tips

productive and fun to work

the most reliable and enjoyable work, fun to work, easy money, sometimes lean especially during summer time, best days are winter earn much money though its cold but worth it

Fast-paced and flexible

A great way to earn some extra cash on the side and it is flexible around your own schedule. The pay is based on each delivery completed and its tip but often works out to approximately minimum wage.

Part time job

It is a good option to work part time, you should know the city very well and keep a vehicle in very good condition. Do not forget the care that must be taken in the transport of food.

Pros

Free lunches

Cons

low paid

Flawed system, you will never make a decent income.

I have tried many different time slots for this company in Red Deer and have yet to make enough per hour to justify the wear and tear on my vehicle. My max was 17.00 per hour after gas but before calculating wear and tear and increased depreciation on my vehicle. The worst was $5.50 an hour pre gas and wear and tear. What made food delivery worthwhile before these apps was the amount you could make being way higher than most other part time jobs, these app based delivery companies have found the cure for that. The fatal flaws of this company and others like it are as follows: 1: They are tech companies run by accountants, as long as they are making their percentage the rest doesn’t matter. 2: You cannot do multiple deliveries so it’s drive to restaurant, wait, drive to customer, deliver, wait on next order, repeat, this takes a minimum of 15 minutes, more often 20+ minutes. Most delivery fees run from $3.50-$12.00, if you could do three twelve dollar deliveries an hour then the money would be tolerable but that is just not possible as those are few and far between. 3:All your income, as little as it is is taxed, it used to be when you were delivering for a food company most tips were cash, hence hideable from the taxman which increased your actual net, with everything including tip being paid online this is no longer the case. 4: Any delivery under eight dollars actually costs you money based on fuel, wear and tear, depreciation and losing a more profitable delivery fare as most deliveries take within ten minutes of any other delivery. To conclude, in Red Deer at -

Pros

They pay weekly

Cons

Pathetic remuneration

Advise you look elsewhere

Low pay lucky to get 50-100 dollars after gas in a day, management... Difficult to get a hold of at best of time, will screw over given even the slightest chance, had multiple orders that had already been delivered by someone else or cancelled that were supposed to have part of the transit payed that was never payed, other orders were given to us hours after they were supposed to be delivered, company is very unreliable when trying to contact for problems with orders can be made to wait 30 plus minutes and still not get a response, and the in-app chat is almost only automated responses that at times only slightly relate to your question and when you do get a person they usually make things as hard as possible for you

SoSo

After 24.15 hours of deliveries and 549 km of driving after about a week of having full availability. Taking into account for gas and the 74 dollar fee for back ground check and bags, and making back the $60 dollar float, I made a total of 123.95. After that I no long have to worry one compensate for gas. with figuring that out I made a total of 257.95. That avages to about 10 dollars an hour. I don't know about you but from a contractor stand point. once to take into consideration wear and tear on your vehicle. unless you have a fuel efficient beater like my first car which was an 1989 Honda Accord. I don't really see how this is gonna work out for me. The team is super encouraging and helpful, the app run smoothly with the down fall of Google Maps glitching at times, which has nothing to do with skip. The way the deliveries run it smooth and the runs are worth it but you'd have to get constant deliveries in your shift to make anything.Or prices will have to go up. in addition If it's a 7 dollar run check if they are tipping before excepting a $7 run mean 15 or so of driving.

Pros

App runs very very well as of placements for deliveries.

Cons

Just not enough constant deliveries to make any decent money.

Don’t work here

This is the worst place to work. If you’re thinking of trying it, DON’T. I started working for Skip when I was waiting for a new job to start and was completely desperate and going to the food bank. After my new job started, I needed to catch up on the bills I had accumulated while unemployed. After that, since my new job only pays once a month (ugh) I haven’t been able to break free from convience of getting paid every week. Skip doesn’t give a flying f about it’s drivers or the restaurants they have “partnered” with, they only care about themselves and their stupid customers. As far as drivers, they are taking advantage of good people who want to work hard and make extra income. Restaurants are on the hook for any costs incurred if anything goes wrong from the customer ordering and the driver making the delivery. They are on the hook for those expenses even though 99% of the time, it’s the stupid customer that has caused the quality of the delivery to go down. Example of the worst customer ever: A cash-ordering non-tipping customer orders food, lives far away either downtown where there is no parking or in the North End where there is the possibly of being robbed, lives in an apartment, doesn’t indicate an apartment number, or a buzz code, and doesn’t answer the drivers calls when the driver arrives and realizes it’s not a house, nor are they waiting at the door. What happens is that the driver has to wait around for seven minutes, wasting their time, until Skip let’s them know they can move on to the next order. Okay, great, the driver ends up with free food. -

Pros

Cons

Being desperate enough to work for this company

Easy to fit into every schedule

This job is great as a second job. Fits well any life style, and is very easy to do. The app does everything for you. Restaurant's normally have your order ready for you when you arrive.

Pros

Easy and Flexible

Cons

Own Gas, and some restaurants don't have parking, so you have park awkwardly.

Horrible

The worst service the worst company they are really terrible

Jobs at SkipTheDishes

Driver positions
See more jobs

Can be profitable, generally poor pay

I spent a lot of time waiting to get orders, and would prequently make less than 10$ per hour. It was not worth it for me due to the toll taken on my vehicle and the cost of gas.

Overall Good

It is a great part time income. You can pay your bills, grocery expenses and many other expenses working part time. working part time 25 hours a week you can make something around 280 to 320 after gas.

Pros

Work your own schedules.

Cons

Support Service on Shift are not fully trained.

Is useless job

It used to be good when they first started, now it’s not worth it , they cut the transit pay big time , and they hide behind the costumer tip sometimes, if costumer pays you tip they pay you almost nothing on their transit pay , you work 2 shifts for 8 hours to make 80-100$ , when you take your gas and expense you go home with 70 dollar , and if you work only one shift some days you go home with empty hands basically Now you helping them to make money , but you don’t

Fun work with not great pay

It was fun to work here but the pay is very inconsistent and most of your wage depends on the tip. Sometimes you wont receive order for a very long time.

Pros

No boss free work

Cons

low pay

No support to speak of. Also: DO NOT BUY THE BAGS!!!!

Beside the bad pay as a driver you will also have to deal with a complete lack of support. As an example: I bought the recommended Skip bags, but they started to crumble after less than two months of use. I took very good care of my purchase. Never even folded them, but the plastic is just disintegrating on its own. I spent about two hours (in three instalments) on the phone to get through, and when I finally got to a living person, I was transferred again, but this time I gave up after about 30 minutes. I sent an email too with pictures of the defective bag but received no reply. Be aware. You will receive no help from Skip.

Excellent and unique

Excellent and unique. There are work always all dependent on your availability. Extreme flexibility with work schedule. Dispatchers treat you like clients once you get hold of them. Love their App driven work instructions.

Pros

Flexibility, no shortage of work

Cons

lack of advancement opportunity

water

you can make good money if your car drinks water like you . you won't get tip because there is already a delivery charge to customer …… ppl tip pizza driver as there is no delivery charges in most

Um... not that bad?

Been doing this part time for a couple of weeks in the Burnaby/New West area. To be honest its not bad and I am actually making a decent profit. Beware of not having correct insurance doing this, the policy cost me an extra $125 a month, thanks ICBC! Anyway, I average 2 runs an hour, 4 hours a day. The runs have been netting me an average of 10 dollars each. Lets keep in mind I am doing this in a $1500 4cyl Nissan that is very reliable and good on gas, and I can do most of its maintenance myself for cheap. And I souped it up a little just for fun. I estimate I use less than $2 fuel an hour, and the extra insurance is running about $125 a month. So for me doing this part time, lets say driving six days a week, 4 hours a shift my total monthly expense would be something like this.... Insurance: $125 a month / 104 working hours = $1.20/hr Gas: $2 x 104 hours = 208/monthly Maintenance: Hard to say, but lets go to the extreme here and say I break a car every year doing this, or at least put its value back into itself each year in parts/fluids and my time each year. Total years working hours (24x52) 1,248 $1500/1248 hours= 1.20/hr Total expense per hour = 4.40 ***This does not consider $75 one time expense for bags!*** This means that the 20 dollars an hour I get is more realistically about 15.60. Still that's not a terrible wage for a part time, casual job. So here is my advice to anyone considering doing this in point form, 1. Get a used Japanese car no newer than 2005, learn how to do your own oil changes and basic maintenance. Even shocks and -

Pros

No Boss!

Cons

Does not explain costs to perspective drivers. Might not be profitable in every area.

Not a good place to make ends meet or to live off of.

If you are looking to supplement your pay by working part time, don't bother. For the last month, I have worked over 30 hours because that was all I could get scheduled for. I made less than $10./hr and during a 4 hour shift, if I deliver 6 to 8 orders which is highly unusual, it is usually 3 to 4 orders, one eighth of the people actually tip. My reviews have always been glowing with many "above and beyond", yet, no tip. I have spent more money on gas to use my vehicle for deliveries, than I make and a lot of wear on my vehicle. If you want a reason just to get out of the house to get your mind off of things, then work for Skip. That's all its good for. They schedule too many drivers all the time. Their mapping system is so poor, it will take someone who is parked on the West end of the city and send then to the East side to deliver to the central region while drivers in the East side sit waiting for orders that never come. The transit pay for this type of trip isn't worth it and if you start refusing trips, you get punished, go figure. Skip's turn around is huge, but there is always more who will apply thinking this is quick money only to figure out it's a waste of your time, your own money and wear and tear on your own vehicle only to be met with customers who don't know their own address, can't turn on their front light so we can see their address, or neglect to advise their apt or buzzer #, so when you try to call them, it's either a LD call which you also eat or the number is not in service or its turned off, and they're the ones that complain!

Pros

A chance to get out of the house

Cons

All of the below.

Treat it as it is

I've worked delivery jobs all my life. I've found that skip works on a driver reliability system. If you turn down orders yes you will be bumped down the list. If your reliable then you will have all the work you want and more. It takes time to get a good rating and when you do then your ok Treat you car well !!! Maintain your car because that's your bread and butter. I finally the work myself. Also try and stay park in a hot spot surrounded by fast food restaurants as the GPS will have you closest to the action. Give it some time and a good effort and it's as good as any job out there. It beats standing in front of an assembly line !!!

Pros

Flexible, nobody looking over your shoulders. Freedom

Cons

Sometimes slow but it will get better.

Worse Than Telemarketers

I made the mistake of signing up for Skip, they called me every night for a month, until I finally resigned and completed the employment review process, just to end the phonecalls. Then they started calling me relentlessly to pick up the delivery bags I purchased, as if having my money wasn't good enough, they now wanted me to drive. I get emails from them all the time now to update my availability, and basically I consider these intense contact tactics to be borderline harassment. It's not worth the less than minimum wage paying job, it still pays about as well as most pizza places... Pizza Hut pays less than minimum, so does Pizza Pizza, and a few other companies that don't respect their employees. I suppose the terrible accents are the silver-lining to these calls, because half the telephone support team do not speak fluent English, and their voices are garbled with thick accents.

Pros

Funny Accents

Cons

Everything Else

2.9