SkipTheDishes
Happiness score is 60 out of 100

SkipTheDishes Employee Reviews in Vancouver, BC

Vancouver, BC22 reviews

skipcourierdeliverydriverappordercarrestaurant

Very promising but unstable place to work for

I initially liked the flexibility and possibility to make enough money to make ends meet. But hopes there get quashed pretty quickly as the fees can be pretty insulting when considering that: you drive your car, you fuel it, insure it, maintain / fix it and risk your life driving it. Skip the Dishes doesn't seem to care and very few customers understand that. Some deliveries will bring you less than a waiter makes inside a restaurant. This is unacceptable. If that was not enough, they keep hiring non stop and you find yourself competing with new couriers all the time. Many barely speak English, they are slow, place the food in the boot of their car, smoke, have a do, etc ... resulting in unfair competition as Skip does not reward good performance. What is the point then !?

Tips are random sometimes good sometimes bad.

The company itself is a waste of time and there is little to no support provided. I have even been as far as assaulted and they did not even pick up the phone to call me back to see if I was all right. If you have any issues with the company whatsoever don't expect to get it resolved. The job is good as a hobby to make a little extra money on the side but expect to have times where you will make nothing and spend hours sitting in your car.

Insights into SkipTheDishes

What people like
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

its okay if you dont want to work below someone

self - employed. great if you cant deal with the stress of working for someone else. the courier help staff are pretty chill about emergencies or anything of that sort.

Pretty relaxing

Its a good side hustle job cause there s no stress. Now that the gas prices are so high , its really not worth it. If company will pay a little more , it would be a great fulltime job.

Pros

Your own schedule

Cons

Finding parking

I really love this company

I REALLY LOVE THIS COMPANY. Because I am an independent contractor here. so I can take a schedule by myself self and I car work anytime if I want and earn a good amount of money.

Working at Skip is mutually beneficial

I started working for Skip in 2016, took a break and came back in 2020 and I have to say, the Skip system is way better. The biggest advances are in the courier software app updates. I also feel there are algorithms in place to ensure couriers make at least $20 per hour. For this reason, I accept all offers sent to me because it all evens out in the end of the day. A typical day entails driving to an area you may want to work in and wait to be linked to an offer. Once you are, the offer system kicks in and you will soon learn which area you will be working in. Some are better than others and that is just the way it is. When you are close to the end of your shift you will be asked to extend or sign out early. It is usually to sign out early if asked as there are most likely not orders. What I learned: 1. Best to accept all orders and be a team player. 2. When arriving at a restaurant, don't stress about waiting. This is a part of the job and it is better to have a good relationship with vendors as they are people too. 3. If you arrive at a restaurant and the wait is 15 minutes or longer, let dispatch know so they can assign a new driver and the restaurant wont get penalized. If you need to wait, you may want to let the customer know you are delayed but this means their food will be fresh off the grill. 4. Understand that online delivery is different than dine in. Dine in is limited by number of seats. Online is unlimited. I have been to places that have so many orders and some old lady is trying to figure things out. Having been a line cook back in the -

Good to learn how to run your own Delivery / courier biz.

I learned a lot from doing this as a contract / self employed man. Pick up shifts when you want, drop them at a reasonable time if needed, very flexible.

Skip The Dishes

I had a good experience working with Skip. The job is owner operator geared. With a dispatcher through an app. It’s easy to load and follow the app. The help desk and staff are always helpful and kind. Skip offered awesome shifts available to your needs. I gained experience in following an App for work purposes, for the first time. Driving and delivering around, the City of Vancouver ! It was a excellent experience. Skip The Dishes makes it easy when filing your taxes. All the information you need is right on the app. Worked between 2017-2018 🌞

Pros

Independent work-Excellent App easy to follow

Below minimum wage, very for management

I’ve been doing Skip The Dishes for two years in Vancouver and when I first started in 2018 I was getting an average of $11 per order so I’m roughly made around $25-$30 an hour. As of January 2019 the pay has substantially been slashed, almost in half. My average order now is about $6-$8 and the wait time per order is sometimes quite a while. The app is easy to use it’s really easy to have lots of free time and work when you want but when you see orders for $2.95 $4.20 $3.95 it’s a slap in the face. They are very secretive about how the payment structure works they just say at different times they get paid different amounts but they won’t disclose that information. I like Uber eats because they are very transparent with what they pay and how they pay as well as door dash but ive heard door dash steals tips so I i unno. All in all I wouldn’t recommend it at this point unless he started paying more and treating their drivers more professionally. Get a Courier job that you don’t have to drive your own vehicle because cats will kill you. I do Skip The Dishes full-time and I spend about $600 a month just in gas. That’s like roughly $2000 a month take-home, then you have oil changes and other car maintenance costs as well. not worth it

Pros

Flexible schedule

Cons

No money, Poor management

Increasingly terrible service both to employees and clients

Used to be ok to work for Skip, and in the past I made some decent money for how flexible the schedule is.... but increasingly they're paying the lowest possible (minimum) delivery rate and they have lowered that it seems. So if clients want their food delivered, they have to pay routinely more than the delivery fee on tips just to get their order delivered. Secondly, the service to us couriers has really gone down in terms of response time, actual problem solving help (not routine spam answers), and I have even experienced scary unsafe situations where I could reach absolutely NO ONE by phone or chat or anything for an unacceptably long amount of time. Often when you do reach someone on the chat "support" line, they just give stock answers, do not even read what you are saying to them, they so often do not listen, you have to repeat things over & over, then they have attitude and don't actually HELP which is ironic seeing as it's supposed to be an employee help line... LoL!! It really slows down your ability to do your job and help the client as well. I have been trying to communicate to them all my difficult experiences or when the app doesn't work right, NOT for the sake of complaining, but because I used to work in corporate business and if they listen to their employees, they could change and improve. We are the ones out there all the time. But they don't ever seem to listen. They just give stock responses and stock emails and attitude.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

so so many

Jobs at SkipTheDishes

in Vancouver, BC
See more jobs

Worst Job Ever

There should be a 0 option for salary/benefits (because there are no salary or benefits). 0 for job security/advancement because you are 100% disposable and “””independent subcontractor””” while also being fully controlled by skip, no opportunity for advancement. 0 for management because Im not convinced there even is any, Ive worked for skip for 9 months and have yet to be speak to one in any form over my many phone calls/emails/chats. Customers who complain say the same thing. Everything is hidden behind their low level employees. 0 for job culture because it is toxic, no one cares about you. Skip only cares about themselves, restaurants all hate skip and in turn hate couriers as well.

Pros

Free psychological and emotional trauma

Cons

Slave labour

You make more money unemployed!

Skip oversaturates their pool of couriers. This means for them there will always be a driver on the road, but for the courier it results in waiting sometimes hours without an order and returning home with next to nothing. When I first started, I could rely on gaining $100 a day. Now, I'm finishing off my work week with under $100. Skip doesn't care about you. At times, it can feel like they're just riding out the remainder of the time before they can replace all their drivers with self driving cars. I honestly hope their business survives until that point. At least then they will have to address the problems plaguing their App. Problems like failing to notify you of orders. I had to change my phone's display to be always on, never sleeping, otherwise orders usually wont trickle in until you're notified the opportunity is gone. More damaging App issues would be giving you the wrong directions for the order. The address will be correct but allowing the App to open up google maps to guide you to your destination, it will sometimes send you miles in the wrong direction. It happens so often that you can expect it to happen at least once a day. If you aren't careful and slip up, you'll be miles in the wrong direction on your own gas. Don't work for Skip. If you do, keep in mind you can refuse orders. If you get an order with no tip or the money isn't worth it, just tell Skip: "Reassign my order please" Don't do the low paying jobs! They just cost you money, and no one should be working for free when you account for the cost to your car and gas tank.

Cons

its fun and flexible job

One can gain a lot of customer service experience as a courier because one gets to greet and meet different kinds of people with different moods. Skip should focus more on their transit payments to the couriers depending on the weather conditions. These days couriers income is a lot more dependent on the customers tip rather than skip the dishes wages for the delivery which is making the business worse.

Pros

flexible and easy scheduling system

Cons

Low wages no health benefits

Falsehood

Today is a pathetic day. I was terminated from skip because my subcontractor accidentally pocket dialed a customer's number by accident and they claimed it as a "misuse of customer information". The reason for the subcontracting was because I was T-boned (not my fault) while working for them and needed to make some sort of income. I did this for only 2 days. They provided no evidence to support their claim. Furthermore, they do not follow termination rules which state that if terminated the employer must pay within 72 hours. This company is completely a scam and they do not value their workers. Their was no warning, no evidence, and no acceptable behaviour from the company. To top it off, they have basic employees explaining to you what a manager or someone of authority should be discussing with you. These employees should not be allowed to access your information and only someone of seniority should be addressing the matter.

Pros

Nothing, you are 100% on your own.

Cons

Everything, right down to how they manage their network.

Flexible easy very good money in vancouver

This job pays well in Vancouver. I rarely get less than 60 for a 3 hour shift and about once a week I get one pay 120 average for me is 70 to 80 so I am happy there. I work 5 days a week lunchtimes. It pays my bills but you could never rely on it for rent. I have never had issues with dispatch or chat support they have always done what I ask for example if I need to check out for 20 min to go get my kid etc. I have never met anyone I could remotely call a boss so that's awesome. I can take my kid along (she plays ds)if I need to. You need a car cheap on gas and couriers insurance to succeed in Vancouver. The tickets will do you in if you can't park in alleys/loading zones for free. So long as you get lots of compliments from customers you will get basically all the shifts and whenever you want them.

Pros

Flexible, can bring a kid

Cons

Random pay, car dies no money

Pay has gone down who knows if Skip will be around in the future

I started Skip The Dishes this past summer as a side hustle like many Courier drivers, and it was great. The pay averaged out to about $20/hour with tips. I love driving anyways so worked out perfectly. Recently, Skip has reduced the transit fee pay for deliveries and this is the reason for me to switch to their competitors. Myself and other courier drivers cannot believe our eyes they would have the boldness to start paying us $2.75-$4.00 for short distance deliveries. How can any Skip courier be motivated to drive when they know in advance they are getting paid peanuts now? Job is not hard at all and no stress other than rush hour traffic shifts....but it is very demotivating to drive to restaurant, find parking, park your car, grab your bag, go inside the restaurant, unless they make you wait and are not ready, grab the food, drive to customer location, sometimes they want you buzz deliver up the building or walk to the back of the house....for under $5.00 or NO TIPS This company does not like to take blame for faults and would rather pass the blame. Skip would match us to an order to drive all the way out to the University of British Columbia for some hungry student, and would not match you with an order to get you out of the university campus. They expect YOU to use your own gas to drive out of there so you can be matched with an order. Wowz. When you call them out on why, the Skip rep simply says they have no control over who gets assigned orders it is the system that does this. You are telling me the system does not see me sitting there waiting 15-30mins on -

Pros

can choose your own schedule

Cons

Pay has gone way down

Horrible in everyway

Horrible for the company who signs up for this garbage service, horrible for the customer who gets treated like garbage, and the drivers who don't get told anything and they get the worst of it all.

ez job high risk

this is an ez position , however the risk to your license in terms of points , using a phone constantly and risks of accidents make this a poor work choice

Pros

flexability

Cons

risk

Payment is bad

You drive a lot and pay for your gas as well as ware and tare and payment is low pay. you dive about 30 mins for 1 job and most give you about 2 dollar tips. this job is ok if there are close deliveries and good tips.

Pros

Make your own shifts

Cons

bad pay

On your own contact work lots of phone support and a very accurate staff

Perfect side job for few hundred a week, good turnover not an everyday thing I'd say. Call em up! Cool feature is the overflow warning so if you see it you know your gonna get delivery after delivery

Pros

Your own schedule

Avoid it unless you have no other options at all

Low paid. Even lower than minimum wage with gas and other cost. The extra money is very extra. The most terrible thing is the company never stand for the delivery drivers. Always put the drivers at last. Working with this company is very stressful.

Pros

flexible schedule

Cons

every thing oter

2.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement