SkipTheDishes
Happiness score is 63 out of 100

SkipTheDishes Employee Reviews in Red Deer, AB

Red Deer, AB23 reviews

Was not for me

I worked with Skip for one summer, and I would not recommend it as any type of job. I’m aware that over days, you should average out to $15 per hour, however, there are many days that I got less than $12 per hour after the gas that I used to do the job.

A Great Way to make extra cash on the Side...

Doing Skip the Dishes is a fantastic way of making some extra cash on the side. I started doing it when the pandemic slammed down, cutting off all my social activities leaving me with so much free time. You earn from delivery fees and tips...if tips are even made. Most people do Skip as a side part time gig to earn extra cash, some people might do it full time, I'm not sure how much they would make though. How much you earn in your 4-hour shift can depend from what day you do Skip, what time of day, and how much tips are too. If you keep a good record of accepting offers, Skip will add a few cents to the earnings. The down falls for the job would be people being stingy on tipping some don't tip at all, gas is a big expense, can cause ware on your vehicle, and you can find yourself sitting in your car waiting for a while, but there are some days where you doing one delivery after another. Depending on where you live, you can do Skip by bike which gives a great bonus for exercise. The scheduling is weekly, so if you have a job whose scheduling goes say 3 weeks, you can plan when you can do Skip easily.

Pros

Good exercise (if biking), extra money, get to see different restaurants, schedule when you want to work

Cons

Gas expense, waiting for orders, some don't tip

Insights into SkipTheDishes

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Fair pay for job
  • Sense of belonging

As I said, it's fun because you have a certain freedom and you meet new people.

On a positive note, you can work around your schedule, appointments, school, children at home etc. It's nice to meet new people. On a negative note, you can't call and to to anyone if needed. If you email or text,no one seems to pay attention, because you can't ever get a proper answer to anything. You can only expect generic answers that have nothing to do with the subject. Quality employee service is terrible. They also have an office, but don't take calls. How would you rate this company? The only good thing about working for skip is the freedom that you have, plus meeting new people. 👎😒

Just bad

Never start delivery with skips. They are robbing everyone of profit except themselves. You make no money, waste of gas. More than needed ware and tare on your car.

Cons

Lots of gas used, time waster, greedy

What you expect

This job is basically what you expect.Best for part timers.If you need cash to stay afloat while you look for better work, have people skills and a car, you can earn a small amount of money.You pick your schedule and sometimes can get extra shifts. If they have orders and no drivers your phone will go off when they need someone now, can pick up extra that way.Sometimes orders get messed up at the restaurant and you can't do anything about it except talk to the customer to have them contact support for reimbursement, most people are good about it.Occasional free food at end of shift. This was before covid and leaving food on doorsteps though.

Pros

flexible hours, easy

Cons

low pay

Work for well under minimum wage!

As an independent driver, the expectation would be to make at least minimum wage plus cost of fuel to get around. Most days I am fortunate to average $15 /hr BEFOREgas, so I make roughly $8-9 per hour, and this doesn't even come close to including wear and tear costs to MY vehicle. Plus I have never physically spoken with any type of management...it is all email, and no feeling of connection.

You can set your own time.

Good for part-time work as work schedule is very flexible. I would suggest having a better benefit package and also rewards for drivers who has not had many issues with deliveries. The milestones are nice to know but there are no reward incentives with it.

Pros

Set your own time.

Cons

Benefits are minimal.

You are your own boss and your office is your car

Super easy job. Just remember, when you are selected for an order, the customer, restaurant, and Skip Help Desk can see your location at ALL times! That means if you decide to be late getting to the restaurant or customer, everyone will know if it is because of you or not if something does go wrong.

Pros

Complete freedom with when you do and don't work

Cons

Some days are better than others when it comes to how much you make

Toxic business

They are very bad to work for. As I driver they were very poor is all ways. Wages were very low per delivery. You waste your time energy and your own money to work their.

Pros

Cons

Everything you can think of

Good only as a side job to a more normal one

You really don't get much cash from this on its own, and sometimes you can go hours without a single order. It can be a good source of pocket change but that's about it.

Pros

Very easy to work around

Cons

Barely any pay without generous tips

Bad app

Always have issues with the app disconnecting and connection errors and orders that are not there. Or waiting for hours for order in the hot spots just to drive across town to try another spot....then get a order from where you just were it's very spotty.

Over saturated market

I’ve been doing skip for a year. Do this only for extra cash as you can’t make enough or get enough shifts to live off. They have too many drivers in the area and it is difficult to get shifts. Easy job, but definitely not a long term solution.

can schedule your own hours

Its a great flexible job where you can schedule anytime to work and can make upto $100 to $350 a week. But there is no guarantee how many shifts will be scheduled, you can get 5 to only 1 or 2 shifts a week. its not great as a main income source.

Too Many Drivers Make It Not Worthwhile

To be perfectly fair, Skip was great for a large portion of 2019. If you were willing to put in the hours, you could work and get deliveries. In the summertime I managed $900+ in one week, free and clear. Other weeks were typically $550 - $700. However, once November 2019 came they did a mass hiring drive and now there's too many drivers to make it viable for full time work. Oftentimes I go on a shift and wait in a so-called "hot spot" for 2+ hours with nary an order coming up on my phone... One of the most stressful parts of doing Skip is dealing with their chat so-called "Support". It's horrible. Whenever you have to talk to them they don't seem like they understand English very well, if at all. It can be quite enervating just trying to report that a customer has failed to appear at the door to collect their order. It must be said, though, that when it's busy it's good. You are in charge of what happens; whether you want to take an order or not is up to you. You can go on break for fuel/bathroom/lunch whenever you like. One of the pitfalls I find with doing Skip is dealing with the restaurants. It seems some restaurant owners/managers/what have you are rather hostile towards Skip and I've found on more that a few occasions that I am ranted at about Skip and how their management team is a nightmare to talk to, how they requested more time and that I'm early for the pickup, and so on. I've had the unfortunate experience of having to report a few of these people for unprofessional behaviour and consequently refusing to accept orders from there ever again. -

Relaxing Job place but terrible management and pay

The job itself is very relaxing if you have no issues during your shift if you do happen the have any issues the online support was not very helpful and often gave the same response over and over. Another thing that my recruiter did not mention to me was that you need commercial vehicle insurance otherwise any insurance ou have is rendered void when you get in an accident

I like it

It's perfect for stay at home moms and people who hate the public. It's the easiest job I've ever had and I enjoy it alot. You have to learn the balance of gas money and wear and tear on the vehicle and then the money that is the income. It's worth it. You get to pause your shifts accordingly and its doesn't affect your rating or job.

it’s a good environment and enthusiastic

it’s a great job for someone who likes to explore the city. What I like most about SkipTheDishes is that you’re your own boss and it’s up to you what time and how many hours you want work! More importantly you get exchange smile and kindness with complete strangers!

Not bad as part-time work

I've been working as a courier for about 3 months now as a second job. I can't imagine trying to do this full-time and trying to pay the bills, but it's good if you're just trying to pay down some bills, etc. My advice is for ppl who order from skip- 1. if its night- turn your light on! 2. Underwear is not appropriate attire to answer door- ever! 3. Put your unit # or apartment # so I don't have to call.4. Don't leave your big dog tied in front 5. If you are at a business- put that in the instructions and 6. Exhale your puff of marijuana joint BEFORE coming to door!

Flawed system, you will never make a decent income.

I have tried many different time slots for this company in Red Deer and have yet to make enough per hour to justify the wear and tear on my vehicle. My max was 17.00 per hour after gas but before calculating wear and tear and increased depreciation on my vehicle. The worst was $5.50 an hour pre gas and wear and tear. What made food delivery worthwhile before these apps was the amount you could make being way higher than most other part time jobs, these app based delivery companies have found the cure for that. The fatal flaws of this company and others like it are as follows: 1: They are tech companies run by accountants, as long as they are making their percentage the rest doesn’t matter. 2: You cannot do multiple deliveries so it’s drive to restaurant, wait, drive to customer, deliver, wait on next order, repeat, this takes a minimum of 15 minutes, more often 20+ minutes. Most delivery fees run from $3.50-$12.00, if you could do three twelve dollar deliveries an hour then the money would be tolerable but that is just not possible as those are few and far between. 3:All your income, as little as it is is taxed, it used to be when you were delivering for a food company most tips were cash, hence hideable from the taxman which increased your actual net, with everything including tip being paid online this is no longer the case. 4: Any delivery under eight dollars actually costs you money based on fuel, wear and tear, depreciation and losing a more profitable delivery fare as most deliveries take within ten minutes of any other delivery. To conclude, in Red Deer at -

Pros

They pay weekly

Cons

Pathetic remuneration

Don't do it

The only way to get a decent income with this is working non stop even then no guarantee that you will get any orders. They don't care about their drivers, so you're on your own if something happens. They write it down in you file that's it...... Yea that's really going to help. I've had to wait over 45 minutes on hold to talk to the courier service people to talk to them about an order meanwhile the food is getting cold and disgusting. I was also messaging them through their app. It's not worth wasting your gas to be in a ”hotspot” so you can maybe get one order your entire shift. A load of Bull as far as I am concerned I will never work for them again and I'll tell everyone not to. I've also been told issues with them from the restaurants. Not worth it

Cons

No pay, waste of money, don't care

Too many drivers

They have over stocked drivers in red deer. Don't even bother applying. This is an ad that needs to come down cause they are screwing over all the good drivers. You don't make any money because people do not tip well. They minimum tip amount is too low. They need to up delivery fees if people want there food. Otherwise the order will keep getting passed around from driver to driver. Who's gonna drove from Vanier to Johnstone to gas alley for 3.50?? You get maybe 1 order every hour and a half. Too many drivers. Low delivery fees. Waste of time. Not a good job. And I've done the delivery life for 12 years,

Cons

Low delivery fee for long distance, too many drivers, bad management, very few orders on the supposed busy night like saturday, Screwed over all good drivers by over populating drivers.

2.4 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement