SkipTheDishes Employee Reviews

It's Meh
Menu Content Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 May 2018
Not steady hours. Fast paced and stressful. Easy to Learn. Overall for the pay you receive, it is an okay job. The people are friendly and the managers are understanding.
Can be very lucrative
Courier (Current Employee) –  Kanata, ON7 May 2018
I like working at SkiptheDishes because you get to set your own availability and have the freedom to pick up and drop shifts (48 hour notice) without getting fired. I love driving, so this is also perfect since I'm mostly just driving from restaurant to customer over and over.

It's usually set in four hour shifts (which you can pick up multiple if available) and these four hours can either reel in only $40 dollars or it can be as lucrative as making $200.

The downside is that there can be a lot of competition. When I started, there were always multiple open shifts to be taken and that isn't the case anymore. Even within a shift I can usually see at least five other Skip drivers (and it's a smaller zone).
Pros
Lucrative, set your hours, lots of driving
Cons
Can be highly competitive
Waste of money time and gas
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  London, ON2 May 2018
In a 4 hour shift I did 2 orders which made me $16.70! yea you heard me 2 orders, they expect you to drive around looking for the "hot spots" and at times you will sit for two hours and never get an order. Worst job you can ever do and on top of that let me waste gas driving around my city to find the busy area, no thanks!
Pros
Cons
worst job ever
Fun and good workplace
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 April 2018
Good workplace, you get to decide your own schedule, very flexible hours and you can pick up as much shifts as you want, if you need to leave early they're very understanding.
Pros
You're own schedule
Cons
May not get as much deliveries as some days
Worst Company ever
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON29 April 2018
No proper management
No structured pay. Call center reps wont provide a straight answer. Used to be good when it started with all the bonuses, now they are taking advantage of the drivers.
they pay 3.65 to maximum of $7 for a 20 min (11-14 km) drive. So think about how much gas you are spending.
Sometimes have to wait for 20 min at a restaurant and they wont pay for waiting. All they say is their system will monitor wait time and pay for it which never happened. I had to wait for 20 min once and 15 min many times. Skip team is useless to help with any questions. stay away from this company.

If you really want money, better go with UBER.
Pros
flexible shifts
Cons
terrible management, poor pay, long wait times between orders, knowledge of skip team is the worst
Glorified Call Centre
Partnership Success Manager (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 April 2018
Skip likes to talk about "culture" and "fit" and being a "start up" and while those buzz words may get you excited about working for a growing company, they shouldn't.

Their on-boarding process is pathetic. They'll hire you for a job that sounds amazing but tell you very little about what it actually is. Then they make you go through a month of cross training in various other roles including live support which is a straight up call centre. Once you finally get through that and you get to the team you'll be working for, you still don't have any idea what you're supposed to be doing but you'll realize that the entire place and every role within is call centre related. (Unless you're in the cool building with marketing)

Benefits are basic and nothing to be excited about, the "culture" is dirty bathrooms, dirty work stations, a 30 min unpaid break for an 8 hour shift, but hey there's free oatmeal!

Don't bother working for this place unless you're young and just getting started. If you have any work experience in anything, go use it somewhere else where you'll be more than a number in a call centre.
Pros
You can wear whatever you want. Some guy was walking around the office barefoot
Cons
Some guy was walking around the office barefoot
Payment is bad
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC19 April 2018
You drive a lot and pay for your gas as well as ware and tare and payment is low pay. you dive about 30 mins for 1 job and most give you about 2 dollar tips. this job is ok if there are close deliveries and good tips.
Pros
Make your own shifts
Cons
bad pay
Don’t waste your time!
Driver (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC14 April 2018
Don’t bother working for these people! They don’t pay by the hour so they “hire” so many people that they are constantly over staffed. Too many drivers and not enough orders... you’ll spend quite a bit of time just waiting for orders in your car or even waiting for a restaurant to finish making an order!

Customers also seem crazy cheap! I’ve worked in a pizza place before and the tip per order is pretty much 1/2 on average!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Horrible pay, call center agents, bad tips
flexible time hours
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 April 2018
Also, You can work whenever you want to make money,
Salary can be really low. this is the pros and cons

They also do not pay for the gas and salvage value for the car.
Not happy with earnings
Courier Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON28 March 2018
They send you far away to pick up food and deliver food.
And only getting paid $3.50 - $5. You can make money if you get tip on top.
Delivered 6 trips - average drive was 10 to 12 kilometres and 20 to 25 minuets each trip and average pay was $4 each trip.
Think about gas money and car maintenance plus time you spend to pick up food from restaurant and delivery food to the customer.
Not worth it at all.
Another thing is they charge you $75 for delivery bag which is not even worth $25. And this is how they make money in front.
When I called them to quit and asked to return bag And want my money back ($75) they said sorry we can’t give you refund.
I said why you didn’t tell me that when I signed up with you and he said it’s our policy.
Cons
Long distance and time to drive. Car runs a lot compare to what you get paid. $75 bag charge.
Flexible hours, but meant to be a PART TIME job
Driver (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON22 March 2018
Skip the Dishes is a great way to earn a little extra cash. However you need to have an open mind, zero expectations, and a positive attitude. You won't make the same amount each week, sometimes you won't get tipped, but on a whole its a pretty cool little side job. You do need to have a pretty decent data plan, and a fuel efficient car. While working for skip you do need to be reliable, be personable, and have patience. On a whole I like the job and with the right attitude it can be fun!
Pros
VERY Flexible Hours, a good way to earn some extra cash
Not Worth It!
Courier Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC19 March 2018
The only positive thing about working for Skip the Dishes is the flexibility of the shifts.

Just the start up costs of joining Skip is heavy.... You'll need:

Your own car and be able to pay for gas out of pocket
Smartphone with at least 2 gigs data
Pay at least 150$ for 2 delivery bags BEFORE getting a single shift

The pay is commission based that is calculated ONLY for the drive to the customer. !So your effectively only earning money for half the effort that goes into each delivery!. The tips you receive from customers is on average half than you would normally get at a similar job. The pay rate between deliveries of similar distance tends to be random.

At best on average you'll get 1 delivery per hour. Only getting more on rare occasions or the 1-2 "busy" days of the week.

The Operators on the Courier "Success" Team are terrible at their jobs. If you have a problem expect to wait 10min or more just to get their attention. They constantly mix-up information and tend to be quite rude when drivers do things "Exactly" as they supposed to.

This company has many divers already (Hundreds PER City). At one point I heard that Skip had almost 300 drivers in my city alone. Which limits extra shifts in the area.

Conclusion:

Low Pay
Pay for your own gas
Limited extra shifts available
Incompetent Operators/Dispatchers
Minimum 150$ start up cost

NOT WORTH IT!!!!
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Terrible Pay and extremely rude Operators
On your own contact work lots of phone support and a very accurate staff
Delivery Driver/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC9 March 2018
Perfect side job for few hundred a week, good turnover not an everyday thing I'd say. Call em up! Cool feature is the overflow warning so if you see it you know your gonna get delivery after delivery
Pros
Your own schedule
Do not
Driver/Delivery (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 March 2018
Been working 3 months. Terrible. You make little to no money and the chat staff is super ignorant or rude. My car got hit while I was working so I called to tell them I need to check out early and the dispatch said "ok" but they STILL kept sending me orders and never got checked out. Then was put as "unreliable". The dispatch is not helpful and the pizza bag you buy (not the cater bag) does not hold heat at all it sucks so the pizza gets cold. Also noticed (since I have ordered food off skip) most of the drivers in Calgary DON'T EVEN HAVE A BAG AT ALL! When you call skip to complain they don't even care. Seriously don't work for them . Save your time,car and money
Pros
Cons
Every single thing!!!
Flexibility and a chance to meet all kinds of people
Food Courier (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 February 2018
I actually like SkipTheDishes network, and I use it to order food too, it's a great idea and Skip made it the best in town. I also like working for them, as I get to manage my own time. The pay isn't very good but its not bad as extra cash.
Good for Students who need some income
Courier (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB27 February 2018
Been working as a courier for Skip for now 2 months and as a student it is very easy money. A lot of reviews say that pay is poor but really pay all depends on the location and the amount of people, I average around $100 per 4 hour shift ($25 an hour) and my car only uses $10 in gas per shift.

There are many flaws with the system however, the dispatchers and people who help you on the chat feature are sometimes rude and inpatient. Another flaw is that you cannot decline an order such as orders where the money is low (<$6), cash orders (Hate them) and alcohol orders (where you have to carry a specific licence).

Overall, this is a good job for a student who needs money on the side to fall back on if they need it.
Carry $60 float and wait SKIP the Dishes to re-imburse after a week
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Niagara Falls, ON15 February 2018
this company wants you to work for them but use your money to pay the restaurant? then wait for Mrs.SkipTheDishes to reimburse after a week for a declined order?
what a joke and that's how people will be treated because they are at their mercy for living.
don't expand your business if not capable of and don't use people's money and get rich
easy work
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON3 February 2018
very good app that provides the information about deliveries. customer service is also very good and effective. also provide a huge variety in eatables from all corners of the town.
Pros
good tips from cutomers
A great place for young developers to start their journey
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB23 January 2018
This is a great place to start if you don't have enough skills. You learn a lot about Agile Software Development Skills and Cloud Technologies. I worked at the Winnipeg branch and it was one of my most memorable experiences. If you are young, tech savy and you believe in Start Up Culture, you should definitely apply
Pros
Skip Credits, Exposer to High End Technologies
flexible hours
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 January 2018
The hours are really flexible and you can pick the days and hours you would like to work. The only downside is when people not give tips and house is really far

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SkipTheDishes. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8