SkipTheDishes Employee Reviews

Wage is pathetic and the tech support is absolutely useless.
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Nanaimo, BC19 February 2019
I have been having issues with them for months now. I’m positive they’ve been reducing how much they pay couriers as well as wont help their drivers! I have literally waited half an hour for them to respond to their support chat while the customer and I are both waiting. There is no way of inquiring about a wage increase, refuse to offer hazard pay for working in dangerous conditions (a snow storm for example)as well as their delivery charge that they give you doesn’t cover gas most of the time. They DO NOT care about their drivers whatsoever. This company is a money hungry waste of time.
Must depend on yourself
COURIER (Current Employee) –  Kamloops, BC13 February 2019
This is a very independent job. Pick your hours and days of work. Must cover all car expenses, as you will not be paid for gas, oil changes etc. You don't get any hourly wage or benefits, and you don't pay taxes, so you'll need to keep track of your expenses and earnings. Completely rely on number of orders and customers tips to get paid. Expect not much help from the dispatch if you have an issue during your shift.
Pros
Pick your work hours, be your own boss
Cons
No help from dispatch, no benefits/wage, poor communication with anyone from the company
Very Low Pay-even worse management
Courier (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON4 February 2019
The pay is absolute deplorable. The fares are $3.45 for a 5 km trip. If the customer does not tip, that trip will cost you money.

I've spoken with their 'Courier Success Team' on many occasions regarding pay structure and if any increase was on the horizon. They responded with 'that is insider information that we can not divulge'

You will not make money driving for them.Period.
This business should not be allowed to operate the way they do in Canada
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Everything else
Decent side hustle
Couriet (Current Employee) –  Calgary2 February 2019
Skip is great as a side gig to make a little extra money. You won't get rich and it shouldn't be your only employment.

Been doing Skip for about 6 months now and I have averaged $15 han hour after fuel costs.

You need to like the hustle and providing goid customer service. Customers can rates your service and i think it influences what shifts you get.

The job is easy. Drive to restaurant, put food in bag, go to customer, drop off food. Rinse and repeat
Pros
Own bosd
Cons
Some people are cheap and dont tip
do not drive for these clowns
courer (Former Employee) –  Penticton, BC1 February 2019
not worth your car/gas money. would not recommend to anyone. they spend all their money on cheesy tv advertising with nothing leftover for drivers. could be a good model but skip dropped the ball on that
Pros
no boss
Cons
slave wags/too many drivers on call
My first day working for skip (Total waste of time and money)
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Saskatchewan ,Canada1 February 2019
This is honestly how my first day went

Do not bother signing up for skip , my first day I made $56 in a full day minus the $30 gas I put in so that works out too $24 and put 150kms on my car . driving around wasting gas , waiting on a order to come up . I started off by delivering a pizza to a customer which he tipped me $3.40 , then drove around waiting for another order 30 minutes later - no tip , I realized I was only getting $3.95 per order which is basically the gas money I used to pick up and deliver and on top of that the headaches and traffic . I went to the gym to release some stress from skip . Then thought I’d try it again as I am unemployed and have no other choice but to suck it up and get out of my financial rut I’m in . I was sitting in random parking lots to driving up and down the road waiting for an order . I made one order and the skip sent me to the wrong address not even close to the restraunt wasting more time and gas making me have to look up where that restraunt is , then I had to apologize to customer for taking so long . Stopped at McDonald’s to eat a burger as I barely ate anything all day smelling delicious food I don’t get to eat , I drive 5km and I get an order and I’m like ugh ok I guess I’ll do it and what do you know it’s at the McDonald’s I was just , so I deliver the food and I’m like I’m going home to bed it’s 2am and on my way out another order comes up for subway so I’m like ok this is the last one and then I’m done , got to the address and the customer wouldn’t answer after I rang doorbell/knocked 20 times messaging skip there like
  more... oh just wait 7 mins , Customer finally came 10mins later , after all that I had to speak to skip over the phone and told him how I wasted my whole day and gas , waiting on food in restraunts and his response was “ some days are slower then others and today was a slow day “ I told him I’m gonna write a bad review and that I quit and to let other people know this before they work for skip

There’s more to the story and I could go on but here I am in my bed finally and exhausted after a long wasteful day because I attempted to work for skip ending in complete failure

Everything I said is honest truth of what went down.
Please do yourself a favour and don’t bother working for skip or you’ll go through what I did .
Pros
Smell the food in the bag
Cons
No money to be made
Flexible and Fun - Good for Part Time Work
Courier (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB22 January 2019
Still a growing company with some growing pains, but VERY flexible and enjoyable to work for. Set a daily budget for yourself and you will succeed.

MAKE SURE TO OPERATE LIKE A BUSINESS.
Not bad as PT
Courier Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 January 2019
For a PT is not bad, flexible schedule. More than the minimum wage. Great for students. Very repetitive and start up with many many many many many many many many
Dispatch staff and app are terrible
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Barrie, ON13 January 2019
I’m a courier in Barrie, Ontario. I enjoy getting to cruise the city while earning income (typically minimum wage range after all costs), however the staff of Skip make the job unenjoyable on a daily basis. Daily I have to ask multiple times for things to get done as they’re not done right the first time. I can’t understand half of the dispatchers as their english is poor. The app will assign me an order then reassign it 10 seconds later which is extremely frustrating. The app itself is pretty s*****, always resetting and reassigning. 4/10 orders are tipless or minimal tip at all. It’s pretty rude not tipping your driver when he’s working for you at 2am on a Saturday, spending 20 mins on your order for little pay. I frequently reassign orders (1/3) due to no/little tip and distance pay. Overall, it helps pay the bills, but they need to fix a lot.
Pros
Own boss
Cons
Dispatch staff and app
Worse
Part Time Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Ajax, ON2 January 2019
Very Low Pay
Not enough orders.

The most frustrating thing is why I've to pay 75 bucks for 2 bags and you guys don't accept it back? It's stealing money.

Many other food delivery companies accept the return of bags if you don't wanna continue.

Don't steal the money. Pay your drivers if you wanna improve the services.

I'll never do this.
USELESS
Waste of time, kms of your car.
Pros
Cons
lOTS OF
Productive and fund workplace with kitchen zone and freenchocolate machine
Courier Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB27 December 2018
Fast-paced environment, taking care of all the parties involved in the network. You improved your soft skills to get the target because everything is about teamwork.
Pros
Discount vouchers and manager are open to hear your requests
Good money, sometimes support workers play games with couriers
Food Courier (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 December 2018
Good company to work for, overall.

My average hourly earnings are $23, after 500 trips.

Average tip is $3.50.

They do not require a background check to work for them, therefore people who've been in jail or prison can make a living with Skip.

Aside from the support staff playing games with couriers sometimes, Skip is awesome!
Pros
Good pay in big cities
Cons
Support staff play games sometimes
Logistics Controller (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 December 2018
A nice place to work, everyone is focused on the goal of building the company and it makes working there nice. You are treated with respect. Pretty fast paced and goal oriented.
Unorganized and Chaotic
PA (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 December 2018
Don't waste your time with this place. They are very disorganized from the top down and the managers are just there for themselves. The hiring process is essentially "if you have a pulse you're hired" so you won't be working with anyone of real skill.
Worse Than Telemarketers
Driver (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON4 December 2018
I made the mistake of signing up for Skip, they called me every night for a month, until I finally resigned and completed the employment review process, just to end the phonecalls.

Then they started calling me relentlessly to pick up the delivery bags I purchased, as if having my money wasn't good enough, they now wanted me to drive.

I get emails from them all the time now to update my availability, and basically I consider these intense contact tactics to be borderline harassment.

It's not worth the less than minimum wage paying job, it still pays about as well as most pizza places... Pizza Hut pays less than minimum, so does Pizza Pizza, and a few other companies that don't respect their employees.

I suppose the terrible accents are the silver-lining to these calls, because half the telephone support team do not speak fluent English, and their voices are garbled with thick accents.
Pros
Funny Accents
Cons
Everything Else
You Get What You Put In
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 November 2018
Skip the Dishes is an 'in between' job, NOT A CAREER. If you need an income, any income, this will do. If you are looking to make $20+ an hour, look elsewhere. If you want a fexible schedule where you set your own hours and have lots of freedom, this is that.

I've met a lot of skip drivers who complain about the rates, but you have to understand that you are a food delivery person, not a doctor.

I pride myself on making the best of it and my customer rating reflects that. I enjoy the variety - the restaurants, the customers and the freedom. If I'm going to earn min age, I would rather do this than work at a scheduled job.
Pros
freedom, interesting, try new food, paid every week
Cons
waiting for food, no tip customers, to many drivers
Courier driver
SkipTheDishes Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 November 2018
There aren't enough orders for delivery drivers to even make minimum wage or to break even on fuel costs. I don't live in my delivery region so I have to drive into the city to do deliveries, so my fuel cost is quite high. During a 3/4 hour shift, I haven't made more than $42.
Cons
Less than minimum wage
Do not work for Skip The Dishes
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON14 November 2018
I wouldn't work for this company if they were the last company on Earth. I started with Skip The Dishes and was immediately saddled with a bill for $75 to buy bags with their logo on them (paying to advertise for them). Then you go out for 4 hour shifts and might get 1 call. The pay is not worth it. It will cost you more money to work for them than you will make.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Too many driver's on the road. Not enough demand leads to low earnings and income loss.
If you want to be successful with skip!
Courier (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 October 2018
Driven with skip for 2 weeks, average 20$/hour with tips and minus car costs. Here's a list to be successful with skip.
1. English is essential
2. Own a reliable low fuel cost vehicle.
3. Have a positive attitude. Great charisma goes a long way.
4. Familiarize yourself with where your delivering, side streets, traffic, locations of restaurants and streets will really help you save time if you don't have to keep looking at GPS or cursing while you are stuck in traffic or by a train.
5. Sometimes finding parking can be difficult, sometimes walking the rest of the way to the location is faster than finding a close spot.
6. It is okay to wait somewhere between orders. Find a quiet spot with good signal and reliable data TURN OFF YOUR CAR, relax and watch videos or play games on your phone while you wait. The app is pretty reliable and works regardless of what your doing.
7. Different days, different results. Obviously people are ordering more food on the weekends, but be knowledgeable of special events happening. It can cause a lot more traffic.
8. Don't be afraid to ask the customer or restaurant for help. Sometimes they enter their information incorrectly or do not put enough information to find the place. Be patient, and be friendly and they will do their best to help you.
9. Get to know the app before you begin. The tutorial is there for a reason.
10. Most important of all, be a GOOD SAFE DRIVER.

Now for my personal perspective of the job.

I live in London Ontario (just shy of 400 thousand people) traffic is pretty good throughout the city most of the time
  more... regardless of how much people complain. Personally I really dislike delivering to apartments or picking up food from downtown restaurants.
The parking sucks downtown in many cities and apartments take longer to deliver the food.
But i really enjoy the work, you meet some interesting people and get some unusual orders that make me chuckle. And it can pay well, be smart and figure out what works for you.
Hopefully this review was helpful, happy driving everyone!
Pros
Flexible hours - potential for good wage - very easy to use
Cons
Car maintenance and mileage
Bad support service. It's just not worth it
Courier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 September 2018
1. Very expensive to start it.
You have to spend $75 to buy the bags that meet the requirements. If you have your own bag, they will turn you down for any reasons! BECAUSE THEY WANT TO SALE THEIR BAGS SO YOU OWN THEM SOME MONEY ALREADY.

2. Very bad support team
the lines are always very busy and you just wait forever and it will hang you up.
even when someone pick it up, they are very rude and doesn't help you at all.
I lost my bag on the first day, but instead of giving me suggestions, they froze my account immediately. So basically I can't do anything unless I purchase a NEW BAG, which means I have to spend another $75 to meet their "standards".
So, DO EVER LOSE YOUR BAG, otherwise you just lose money and asking for trouble.

3. Very less pay, lower than minimum wage.
If you work for one shift, you are likely to get 5-6 orders. If you do the math, you will find that you earn from 12-13/hr, which is lower than the min, and you have to spend money on gas, and it doesn't look good on your mileage either.
So you are really rely on tips, but some people they just don't tip!
I got 2 out of 5 didn't tip, every high percentage.

4. Time is not flexible
They say is flexible, and you are your own boss that kind of thing. But the truth is not like that AT ALL!
You have to pick your time slot before you start, and it's 3 hours minimum for each shift! What is that?! I thought people would do it because they want to do it whenever they want!
YOU HAVE TO PICK THE SCHEDULE AND CHECK IT ON TIME.
which means when you have some emergency to deal with, you have to call
  more... them and cancel your shift (remember the long wait calls?), and you CANNOT do that very often.
When you want to cancel a shift, you have to give them 48hr notice in advance. again, what kind of rule is that? IT IS NOT FLEXIBLE AT ALL.

It's just not worth my time and effort, you have to purchase the bag first and then you can start, what an unbelievable rule.
Pros
nothing
Cons
expensive to start, rude support team, not flexible, little pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SkipTheDishes. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8