SkipTheDishes Employee Reviews

Unorganized and Chaotic
PA (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 December 2018
Don't waste your time with this place. They are very disorganized from the top down and the managers are just there for themselves. The hiring process is essentially "if you have a pulse you're hired" so you won't be working with anyone of real skill.
Worse Than Telemarketers
Driver (Current Employee) –  Oakville, ON4 December 2018
I made the mistake of signing up for Skip, they called me every night for a month, until I finally resigned and completed the employment review process, just to end the phonecalls.

Then they started calling me relentlessly to pick up the delivery bags I purchased, as if having my money wasn't good enough, they now wanted me to drive.

I get emails from them all the time now to update my availability, and basically I consider these intense contact tactics to be borderline harassment.

It's not worth the less than minimum wage paying job, it still pays about as well as most pizza places... Pizza Hut pays less than minimum, so does Pizza Pizza, and a few other companies that don't respect their employees.

I suppose the terrible accents are the silver-lining to these calls, because half the telephone support team do not speak fluent English, and their voices are garbled with thick accents.
Pros
Funny Accents
Cons
Everything Else
You Get What You Put In
Driver/Operator (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 November 2018
Skip the Dishes is an 'in between' job, NOT A CAREER. If you need an income, any income, this will do. If you are looking to make $20+ an hour, look elsewhere. If you want a fexible schedule where you set your own hours and have lots of freedom, this is that.

I've met a lot of skip drivers who complain about the rates, but you have to understand that you are a food delivery person, not a doctor.

I pride myself on making the best of it and my customer rating reflects that. I enjoy the variety - the restaurants, the customers and the freedom. If I'm going to earn min age, I would rather do this than work at a scheduled job.
Pros
freedom, interesting, try new food, paid every week
Cons
waiting for food, no tip customers, to many drivers
Courier driver
SkipTheDishes Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 November 2018
There aren't enough orders for delivery drivers to even make minimum wage or to break even on fuel costs. I don't live in my delivery region so I have to drive into the city to do deliveries, so my fuel cost is quite high. During a 3/4 hour shift, I haven't made more than $42.
Cons
Less than minimum wage
Do not work for Skip The Dishes
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  North Bay, ON14 November 2018
I wouldn't work for this company if they were the last company on Earth. I started with Skip The Dishes and was immediately saddled with a bill for $75 to buy bags with their logo on them (paying to advertise for them). Then you go out for 4 hour shifts and might get 1 call. The pay is not worth it. It will cost you more money to work for them than you will make.
Pros
Make your own schedule
Cons
Too many driver's on the road. Not enough demand leads to low earnings and income loss.
If you want to be successful with skip!
Courier (Current Employee) –  London, ON4 October 2018
Driven with skip for 2 weeks, average 20$/hour with tips and minus car costs. Here's a list to be successful with skip.
1. English is essential
2. Own a reliable low fuel cost vehicle.
3. Have a positive attitude. Great charisma goes a long way.
4. Familiarize yourself with where your delivering, side streets, traffic, locations of restaurants and streets will really help you save time if you don't have to keep looking at GPS or cursing while you are stuck in traffic or by a train.
5. Sometimes finding parking can be difficult, sometimes walking the rest of the way to the location is faster than finding a close spot.
6. It is okay to wait somewhere between orders. Find a quiet spot with good signal and reliable data TURN OFF YOUR CAR, relax and watch videos or play games on your phone while you wait. The app is pretty reliable and works regardless of what your doing.
7. Different days, different results. Obviously people are ordering more food on the weekends, but be knowledgeable of special events happening. It can cause a lot more traffic.
8. Don't be afraid to ask the customer or restaurant for help. Sometimes they enter their information incorrectly or do not put enough information to find the place. Be patient, and be friendly and they will do their best to help you.
9. Get to know the app before you begin. The tutorial is there for a reason.
10. Most important of all, be a GOOD SAFE DRIVER.

Now for my personal perspective of the job.

I live in London Ontario (just shy of 400 thousand people) traffic is pretty good throughout the city most of the time
  more... regardless of how much people complain. Personally I really dislike delivering to apartments or picking up food from downtown restaurants.
The parking sucks downtown in many cities and apartments take longer to deliver the food.
But i really enjoy the work, you meet some interesting people and get some unusual orders that make me chuckle. And it can pay well, be smart and figure out what works for you.
Hopefully this review was helpful, happy driving everyone!
Pros
Flexible hours - potential for good wage - very easy to use
Cons
Car maintenance and mileage
Bad support service. It's just not worth it
Courier (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON25 September 2018
1. Very expensive to start it.
You have to spend $75 to buy the bags that meet the requirements. If you have your own bag, they will turn you down for any reasons! BECAUSE THEY WANT TO SALE THEIR BAGS SO YOU OWN THEM SOME MONEY ALREADY.

2. Very bad support team
the lines are always very busy and you just wait forever and it will hang you up.
even when someone pick it up, they are very rude and doesn't help you at all.
I lost my bag on the first day, but instead of giving me suggestions, they froze my account immediately. So basically I can't do anything unless I purchase a NEW BAG, which means I have to spend another $75 to meet their "standards".
So, DO EVER LOSE YOUR BAG, otherwise you just lose money and asking for trouble.

3. Very less pay, lower than minimum wage.
If you work for one shift, you are likely to get 5-6 orders. If you do the math, you will find that you earn from 12-13/hr, which is lower than the min, and you have to spend money on gas, and it doesn't look good on your mileage either.
So you are really rely on tips, but some people they just don't tip!
I got 2 out of 5 didn't tip, every high percentage.

4. Time is not flexible
They say is flexible, and you are your own boss that kind of thing. But the truth is not like that AT ALL!
You have to pick your time slot before you start, and it's 3 hours minimum for each shift! What is that?! I thought people would do it because they want to do it whenever they want!
YOU HAVE TO PICK THE SCHEDULE AND CHECK IT ON TIME.
which means when you have some emergency to deal with, you have to call
  more... them and cancel your shift (remember the long wait calls?), and you CANNOT do that very often.
When you want to cancel a shift, you have to give them 48hr notice in advance. again, what kind of rule is that? IT IS NOT FLEXIBLE AT ALL.

It's just not worth my time and effort, you have to purchase the bag first and then you can start, what an unbelievable rule.
Pros
nothing
Cons
expensive to start, rude support team, not flexible, little pay
effort determines success
Courier Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Vancouver Island, BC18 September 2018
inclusive and accessible:
-i have a serious auto-immune disease, one symptom is terrible dyslexia. combination of 1)technology 2)dispatch 3)the social nature of the job--> it has never been an issue.

-if you don't like people this job is not going to fit comfortably.

-the city/suburb income difference. when i worked in the city i made 5-11$ an order. in the suburb 11-25$ per order. 17-35$ per hour average except for last week of the month; that week most people are tight.

-power structure. skip doesn't lecture, they don't micro manage and they hand a lot of power back to couriers which you don't see with management too often: a customer hassles you? you let dispatch know and the customer will probably be banned from the service for life. a vendor behaves inappropriately? you can reassign orders. you get 6 couriers reassigning orders it sends a strong message to a vendor. a vendor targets a courier in anyway with personal comments? no no no, skip won't have it. a team is sent to remind the vendor what the acceptable behaviour towards all couriers is at all times.

-easy money. often good money. dispatch has your back.
Pros
my chronic illness and disability ARE NOT issues for this employer or my customers
Cons
it's true, if you drive a smart car (or a neon) you'll have more profit than i do
Horrible in everyway
Customer (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC16 September 2018
Horrible for the company who signs up for this garbage service, horrible for the customer who gets treated like garbage, and the drivers who don't get told anything and they get the worst of it all.
fun workplace
Customer Care Member (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB12 September 2018
very interactive workplace environment that helps you grow your confidence as an individual and supports you when you need it.
Helps a lot of students as they balance work with school
own schedule
Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON12 September 2018
I like skipthedishes over dominos and pizza pizza. because we can choose our own schedule and also earn good money. Even we can enjoy our own music, where as in uber, you have to put music according to customers
Terrible Pay
Courier Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON8 September 2018
You're basically treated as a freelancer, as you have to provide your own car and gas, as the company doesn't subsidize the cost for gas. They basically make you rely on tips. Don't ever take this job, work for Uber Eats if you want a good salary.
Pros
Chose own hours
Cons
Terrible Pay
In-depth review please read
Courier Delivery Driver (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB5 September 2018
Let me start by saying that I worked for skip the dishes for about 2 and a half months. Some weeks I worked 2 shifts, and others I worked 5 – so I have experience working for them in a part-time and full-time capacity. Prior to starting with Skip the Dishes, I did some homework and looked into how the company treated their couriers. At the time there were quite a bit of mixed reviews, but I thought why not give it a try. Unfortunately, my experience was extremely disappointing!

The biggest thing that attracted me to work for Skip the Dishes was the flexible hours, but the scheduling system is not as flexible as you think it is. First, they only offer 4-hour shifts. If you want to work more than 4 hours a day, you have to have 2 separate shifts with long breaks in between. This system kind was disappointing because you can pick a time you're available to work, but that doesn't guarantee that you will be working those hours. For example, if you enter in your availability for 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, you would think that you would be working and doing deliveries for 8 hours straight, but that isn't the case. The scheduling system will see the 9:00 am - 5:00 pm as available hours and will give you a shift that best suits their schedule so you would be given a shift within that time range. For example, 9:45 am - 1:45 pm, 11:00 am - 3:00 pm, or 12:15 pm - 4:15 pm, etc. Now you can still get 2 shifts in one day but with my experience, I only had shifts like that when I gave them an availability of a full day. So, for example, my availability was from 7:00 am - 1:00 am and I received
  more... shifts from 9:15 am - 11:30 am and 6:30 pm - 10:30 pm. For some people, they don't have that kind of time.

SIDE NOTE: Skip the Dishes told me that If I didn’t “confirm” a shift, then that meant I wouldn’t be scheduled for that shift. So, when they had notified me of 2 shifts I could take one day and I ended up only confirming 1, they then canceled the one I DID confirm. When I asked them why they said “You didn’t cancel/confirm the other shift for that day. This is just one example of their terrible communication/process.

Now, working as a courier you should already expect expenses that will counter your earnings like gas, wear and tear on your vehicle, vehicle maintenance, data charges (because they discourage you from using Wifi). With this in mind, I always kept track of my kilometers and gas. Depending on your make and model and year of your vehicle your earnings for the day will differ. I own a 2015 Mazda 3 and I felt the gas on my car wasn't too bad but it still added up around $6-8 per shift so I would take that off of my daily earnings which averaged from $50-60 per shift including tips. (Keep in mind this is an average - there were days where I earned more or less.) This paints a picture of what their average hourly pay is, which comes to $11-13 per hour. This is well under my province’s minimum wage of $15 per hour.

On top of the poor earnings and the disappointing scheduling system, the communication and courier support is what ultimately led me to quit after only 2 and a half months.

At Skip the Dishes there are 2 modes of support for couriers - CHAT support in-app or Phone support. When hiring you they do very little training which was fine with me. There are a lot of tech-savvy people nowadays that understand how phones, apps, and GPS works. But what they insist is if there is anything wrong with the order that you speak through the CHAT system within the app for support. I have had numerous experiences with orders that have gone wrong or that the address was wrong, but when I sought the CHAT out for support there was very little effort on their end to help solve the issues.
For example, one of the worst experiences I've had was when the customer accidentally entered the wrong address (which happens a lot). So my immediate response was to call the customer, but they had a long distance number and I did not want to incur the cost if I didn’t have to. I contacted CHAT support and gave them the rundown of the situation. I have screenshots of our conversation but unfortunately, I cannot upload them here, so here is how it went:

Me: Hi so Google Map is not bringing me to the right address.
Me: The Phone number is long distance I do not want to get charged.
Skip: Let me Contact the customer
Skip: Please Knock on the door.
Skip: I just talked to the customer.
Skip: The Customer has been waiting for the food.
Me: That is not the problem the problem is Google is sending me to a different address. might there be a mix up in the address?
Skip: Thank for the update
Me: Me please verify the address with the customer
Skip: Please put the address into your GPS. it will work.

**At this point I was extremely frustrated because they just kept telling me to input the same address that clearly does not exist in the area**

Me: I have and it still does not work
Skip: I can see that you are very close. you just need to do a U-turn and its just down the road.
Me: are you sure the house number is 150? because there is no number 150 in this area.
Skip: that is what is entered by the customer.
Skip: did you call the customer?

** So by this point I was already frustrated because for they were not helping the situation nor did they acknowledge that the address was wrong and now they wanted me to call the customer when I specifically told them at the beginning that I did not want to get charged the long distance fee.**

Due to my frustration I called the customer and got charged the long distance fee and sure enough, the customer gave me a different address because they accidentally put the wrong one in. So I proceeded to drop off the order. I then spoke with the customer and asked them if Skip the Dishes called them to verify the address. To my surprise, they said no. No one had called from Skip the Dishes to verify the address. So this showed me that courier support was not doing anything to help me out with the situation except for adding pressure to hurry up and get the order done. So at this point, I decided that my time with Skip the Dishes was done I did not want to support a company that does not support me and my efforts in any way.

I called courier phone support and told them about the whole issue and told them that I would be resigning from Skip the Dishes. They encouraged me to finish the shift, but I declined. They asked if I could speak with a team lead about my issues which I was happy to do because I wanted them to know why I was quitting and I wanted to give some feedback so they could improve their service and processes. I booked a time to have a conversation with the team lead over the phone like they had asked me to do, but they never called me.

So the bottom line is that Skip the Dishes do not care about their couriers. As long as they have a constant influx of people applying they do not care how bad their turn over rates are. I would strongly encourage people to think twice before applying because I can guarantee you that you will not be making a decent amount of money and that Skip the Dishes does not have your back when it comes to orders. SKIP THE DISHES DOES NOT DESERVE YOUR TIME AND EFFORT.
Pros
some what flexible hours
Cons
lower then average minimum wage, poor management, poor communication, does not care for their employees
Good to work when you are free
Food delivery driver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK29 August 2018
Good to work when you are free and earn some extra cash, you have to book your schedule a head before. overall its a nice way to spend your free time. great experience!
Money is low and they have false promises
Alberta (Driver) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB27 August 2018
The hours typically are very short or extremely long. The pay out is low and completely up to the tips you get. Also gas your use to drive around is no reimbursed at a real time rate.
Pros
Cons
Pay for own gas, Hours vary wild
Overall good experience
Courier service (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB25 August 2018
A good place to start work in Canada. It gives you a great experience and opportunity to understand better about a Canadian based business environment.
Pros
independent work
Cons
No fixed salary
Independent
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 August 2018
Typical day includes picking up ordered food from restaurants and delivering to customers.

Customer behavior is unpredictable.

Poor weather conditions can make driving unsafe.

Wear and tear on your vehicle.
Pros
Low stress
Good
Food Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK13 August 2018
Good place to work and be your own boss and choose your ownt time to work in the week, when ever you are free you can book an extra shift and earn some cash.
Pros
Self supervisor
Skipthedishes
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 August 2018
Great Startup company, however management is inconsistent in style and vision.

Executive management are younger overall and seem to be in over their head with their inexperience. Not willing to listen to feedback from more experienced employees.
good for extra money
Courier Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON5 August 2018
iam guy in brampton got 1.8 l car good in gas i accept my partime job is not per hour its per delivery yes we lose time sometimes to wait orders wait for 2 hours but i accept that skip is not busy everyday all depend on the time you get lunch time is good dinner is not bad as well take note this is only extra money for your pocket if busy you gain if not you lose time some costumer give tip some is not if ur lucky you get 8-10 bucks tips + transit pay and for maintenance just change your oil in time your car still good shape and please guys dont complain about the gas if ur car is dodge charger honda accord v6 hyundai genesis i seen it some skip drivers the worse thing i seen is audi a4 2.0t dont be stupid using this car with premium gas
Pros
your the boss / no rushh
Cons
no stable salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at SkipTheDishes. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8