SkipTheDishes Couriers Employee Reviews

17 Hours for making $150
Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB17 March 2019
Hello,

I have been working on this company since last late February. My overall rating is 0 star. Let me explain;

Work / Life Balance: Its terrible because you live in the car. Everybody says its FLEXIBLE. It`s partially true. You pick your shifts but you have to sit and wait order. It look like dating with a girl. Waiting waiting and waiting notifications.

Salary/Benefits: I don`t want to say anything. Whoever I talked skip courier everybody is angry. They are right. On 3 hour shift you make maximum 50 bucks TIPS are included. Mostly you make 35-40 bucks. Minimum is 22 dollar. In that time period you make easily 70 - 85 km. If you know math Calculate it. Also Benefits?? Are you kidding me, of course there is no benefits. You are CONTRACTOR.

Job Security: There will be always order, as long as you stay on the system.

Management: I don`t anyone from management but I keep inform chat guys if something happens. I respond and try to help.

Job culture: Its really bad I hate bad drivers. Sometimes I am thinking how they got these liecences.

Pros
No Boss
Cons
long hours no overtime bonus
Too many drivers
Driver/Delivery (Current Employee) –  Red Deer, AB6 March 2019
They have over stocked drivers in red deer. Don't even bother applying. This is an ad that needs to come down cause they are screwing over all the good drivers. You don't make any money because people do not tip well. They minimum tip amount is too low. They need to up delivery fees if people want there food. Otherwise the order will keep getting passed around from driver to driver. Who's gonna drove from Vanier to Johnstone to gas alley for 3.50?? You get maybe 1 order every hour and a half. Too many drivers. Low delivery fees. Waste of time. Not a good job. And I've done the delivery life for 12 years,
Cons
Low delivery fee for long distance, too many drivers, bad management, very few orders on the supposed busy night like saturday, Screwed over all good drivers by over populating drivers.
Not bad for a second source of income
Courier Driver (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL4 March 2019
It’s pretty cool driving around and listening to your own music and calling it a job. It’s not a hard job, but it does suck that you are basically relying on tips to make your shift worth it. I wouldn’t recommend trying to work this job full time. Doing shifts anywhere from 4pm-10pm (later on weekends) is the optimal way to make money with this job. Tips are usually better on weekend nights! I haven’t had too many problems but I sure wish the delivery fees were a little bit higher and made the trips more worth it. Imagine taking 25-30 minutes of your time and gas for $3.45 if the person did not tip you? That’s basically like doing it for free.
Pros
Flexible, being your own boss
Cons
You heavily rely on tips
You don't make money
Courier Driver (Former Employee) –  Waterloo, ON23 February 2019
You may feel you make money, but in the end, if you don't get tips, you will lose all the money you "made" in gas and maintenance. Nit worth it at all.
Pros
You can choose your schedule
Cons
Unless you have an electric car, it is not worth it
One of the best job
Food Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON23 February 2019
It was a fun experience,had my own schedule meaning I worked hours that was convenient for me and my family.and I made the most out of the busiest hours(pick time)
Pros
Work at my own convenience
Cons
Long driving hours
Um... not that bad?
Driver (Current Employee) –  New Westminster, BC28 January 2019
Been doing this part time for a couple of weeks in the Burnaby/New West area. To be honest its not bad and I am actually making a decent profit. Beware of not having correct insurance doing this, the policy cost me an extra $125 a month, thanks ICBC! Anyway, I average 2 runs an hour, 4 hours a day. The runs have been netting me an average of 10 dollars each. Lets keep in mind I am doing this in a $1500 4cyl Nissan that is very reliable and good on gas, and I can do most of its maintenance myself for cheap. And I souped it up a little just for fun.

I estimate I use less than $2 fuel an hour, and the extra insurance is running about $125 a month. So for me doing this part time, lets say driving six days a week, 4 hours a shift my total monthly expense would be something like this....

Insurance: $125 a month / 104 working hours = $1.20/hr
Gas: $2 x 104 hours = 208/monthly
Maintenance: Hard to say, but lets go to the extreme here and say I break a car every year doing this, or at least put its value back into itself each year in parts/fluids and my time each year.

Total years working hours (24x52) 1,248

$1500/1248 hours= 1.20/hr

Total expense per hour = 4.40

***This does not consider $75 one time expense for bags!***

This means that the 20 dollars an hour I get is more realistically about 15.60. Still that's not a terrible wage for a part time, casual job.

So here is my advice to anyone considering doing this in point form,

1. Get a used Japanese car no newer than 2005, learn how to do your own oil changes and basic maintenance. Even shocks and
  more... breaks are not very difficult and you save a fortune doing it yourself. Don't use a newer car that's complicated to fix.

2. Drive at least 20 hours a week, more is better. This will make the extra insurance worth your while. And don't just assume you can get away without it. You get in a bad wreck, get knocked out and they find that app running on your phone and food in the bag, your screwed my friend.

3. Find areas in your assigned zone that has the highest concentration of restaurants and hang out there. I'm lucky to live close to several areas like this, you may not.

4. Actually give good service! I was not getting much for orders until I started getting good reviews back. About 20% of my customers take the time to review me, and its been 100% positive. Driver rating is everything to the algorithm that decides who does what on this system.

The last thing I should mention here is the possible tax issue. They claim not to report earnings to CRA, and they don't take your social insurance number. They do say they issue a statement of earnings each year, but do not send a tax form of any kind to anyone. This could be good or bad. Full disclosure. Also the courier support is hit and miss.

Bottom line is, if your a gear head who likes to drive ratty little cars around and has 20 hours a week to spare, this might be an option. If your going to do this once in awhile in your brand new car, don't bother you will lose money.
Pros
No Boss!
Cons
Does not explain costs to perspective drivers. Might not be profitable in every area.
sad but enough is enough
Courier (Current Employee) –  Etobicoke, ON23 January 2019
Been with this company since day one, very eager to start and I did so, clearing well over 2000 orders, no complaints always providing knowledge to fellow new couriers new on the team. It wasn't until recently, I just got fed up with how poor the customer and employee care is. realistically you could take as many orders and not be paid and no one would know because there is no one at headquarters working. The company has become so large they now outsource meaning any dialogue you have with dispatch is someone foreign reading a script. Sad because it's a great idea but just not worth it in the long run. If you plan to work for them make it a short 2-3 month run, other than that you will find yourself running into 1000's of dollars in repairs, missed taxes and all the cash orders you're never reimbursed for when an arrogant customer decides to take the food and not pay.

I remember my final evening, my wife wanted to try it out, so I let her use my account and do so, she got a cash order, when she went to deliver it I'm assuming the man who ordered the food was extremely aggressive and took the food from her without pay. to this day shes still shook up and it amazes me skip simply had the response of " Well, don't give food if the customer doesn't pay" .. so if you feel threatened for your life you should stand your ground for a large fry and cheeseburger? it's Toronto SkipTheDishes. very sad this had to happen.
Pros
essentially work your own hours
Cons
zero courier security or accountability
Environmentally friendly!
Livreur (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC15 January 2019
At a time where my schedule depended on my husband's schedule and taking care of our children, this job was perfect for me. I got hired on the spot which was great because I am horrible at interviews!! I can make my own hours and you get paid every week which really helps out in tough situations. I love working for Skip the Dishes.
Pros
bonus des shifts
Cons
ya pas pour le moment
Waste of time and energy.
Courier (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 January 2019
Everything gets blamed on the drivers. A flat tire, an item not being provided by the restaurant, a wrong item, unforeseen road events (accidents, traffic, etc.), parking, and so on. You'd think they'd at least let customers know drivers don't have control over their order.
Pros
flexible, ?
Cons
no parking fee compensation, most things, you'll see
no money to be made anymore
Courier Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  South Calgary, AB18 December 2018
used to be busy. they have way to many drivers now. i worked today from 1345 hours to 2115 and made 49.69$. now worth it anymore in SE Calgary. the transit pay should be standardized to a minimum of 6 $ at least. they claim the system calculates the transit fee but sometimes its 3.45$ for 25 mins drive. you are left at the mercy of the customers tip to make any profit, given you are using your gas , so seems like a free service. not acceptable. they can do better. honestly in looking at door dash to see the difference. hopefully there is money to be made
Pros
flexible
Cons
low transit fee, long waits, lots of people operating
Too Many drivers to make decent money
Food Delivery Driver (Current Employee) –  Kingston ON14 December 2018
I took this on to make a bit of extra money. it is ok you are not going get rich. There seems to be way many drivers in Kingston area. I can say that you will be very lucky to clear $100.00 during a 5 hr. shift after gas is paid for. That being said the app works great, if you were to put in a 7 day week, that's $700.00 paid every Wednesday.
Pros
flrexible hours, not hard work
Cons
hard on the vehicle
Good comapny
Deliver Driver (Current Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 December 2018
if you want make more money you have to drive a lot of hours sometimes in Mississauga or Brampton but the trip in not very high but it not bad to get experience
Not worth it
Food take-out delivery driver (Current Employee) –  Coquitlam, BC28 November 2018
Salary is not worth it. However, it is a job only meant for part-time, but it is not worth it in the long-run especially with the constant wear-and-tear on vehicle.
Pros
Exploration
Cons
Pay is not worth it