Sioux Lookout Meno Ya Win Health Centre

Sioux Lookout Meno Ya Win Health Centre Employee Reviews

Canada8 reviews
Provides quality care to their patients and residents. Lots of room for advancing within the organization and lots of job opportunities. Remote community.
The Health Centre was a good place to work with pay comparable to other hospitals in Ontario. Reading negative reviews of management is a bit misleading as there are many great managers/leaders. I cannot remember a time when my manager didn't do their best to help me when I had issues. Can't help but think some of these reviews are written by some of my previous coworkers who had poor attitudes in general.

Teamwork is a problem as my coworkers always talked about being short-staffed but so many called in sick because they could. I don't think I ever worked a shift where there wasn't a sick call. Staff rarely answer the phone when calls happen so you basically knew that no one was coming in. I remember one weekend when there were 3-4 sick calls and photos online later showing my coworkers at a wedding party. Once employees have a chance to work at larger hospitals they will know how good some of the things are at Meno Ya Win.

Would have stayed had the cost of living not been so high in Sioux Lookout (rent, utilities, gas, groceries) and had there been more teamwork amongst my coworkers. The best part of the job is the availability of positions, quality of the building (pretty new) and chance to really get to know people.
Pros
Pay, opportunity, new building
Cons
Staff
Great Hospital and very good training for new employees but not very culturally diverse in terms of employees. The feeling of not being accepted by your fellow coworkers can be overwhelming especially as a new staff and moving so far out into a new town and sacrificing so much to be there. Unfortunately I did not feel supported as a new staff member working on the unit and an inexperienced nurse.
I worked there for several years and was forced to leave due to harassment, verbal abuse and a hostile toxic environment. Management needs a complete clean out to make it a desirable work environment again.
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
Poor management and all family run involvement
I learned so much from this hospital and the many amazing employees that work there. There is plenty of learning opportunities built in to the job and there is always someone around to help you.
Small town life -hospital is rife with favouritism, nepotism and arbitrary application of rules and punishment. Low staff morale and as evident in high turnover. Compromised patient care because of perpetual staffing shortages.
I gave management zero stars ⭐️.
Pros
Lots of overtime, great physicians
Cons
Social life, expensive living, casual racism
It is really nice to be a part of the Healthcare team in the hospital. I really enjoyed working here. Each day I could learn many new things in patient care.
The Management team is excellent and very supportive. The workplace is very clean, tidy and pleasant. I really cherished working here. The co-workers are really supportive, helpful and co-operative.

Many times workload goes so high and found it very challenging and hard to accomplish all the required duties on time, but because of the help from my co-workers, I could manage everything in a very good way and on the right time.
Although I do like my job here in Sioux Lookout, I am finding that this is a little too small for my taste. I feel like I need to be in a bigger city. It's over a four hour drive to the nearest city, And another 40 minutes just to get to the Trans Canada Highway.

As for the job itself, it's pretty good. I really enjoy my job here. Even though there seems like at some times there aren't enough people working, and it can get a little over whelming. We deal with samples coming from 27 northern reserves, and occasionally the workload is pretty high. Especially when working alone.