Simson Maxwell Employee Reviews

Great workplace and talentated employtees in Generator Manufactufring business
Outside Sales Rep (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC23 April 2019
Typical day was searching for tenders throughout BC for generator bids and providing contact with engineering contacts. Creating quotes based on single line engineering electrical drawings. Followed up with customers on project reviews and detailed application for custom built prime powered and standby generators for various industrial markets including: Forestry, Mining, Marine, and other Power generation markets. Provided pricing and created submittals for engineers and consultants for review and approval on various job projects. Worked with various enclosure, parts and engine suppliers on lead times, pricing, drawings (mechanical and electrical) for submittals. Worked on the road to visit with clients and market the company for further business opportunities throughout B.C. Held conference meeting and presented work projects, teaching other companies on what we offered for potential future business.
balance of work load
Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB30 November 2017
very busy throughout day coordinating service calls with customers and technicians. Technicians very easy to work with and accommodating through out the day as needed.
always ever changing jobs and sites always learning
Apprentice Heavy Duty Technician (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB20 October 2017
Great place to learn and test your self . we travel to remote sites so driving in all sorts of weather and road conditions. we are on call 24 7 so you will get your hour and more .
Great Company
Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB9 October 2017
I worked for Simson Maxwell for a couple years. I enjoyed my time there. The staff were friendly and everyone worked as a team. The owner of the company was often at the location. He is very nice and approachable. Even though they were a smaller company they were able to be competitive with salary. There was s good work life balance which I find very important.
Pros
Good work life balance
Cons
It used to be a good place to work.
Mechanic, Electrican, field technician. Foreman. (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB14 September 2017
The long and short of it is there is nothing good about this place anymore. There hasn't been for along time. When I first started working there many years ago I was proud to be apart of the company. It's been a few years now since I've worked there and even now with their current standing I feel embarrassed to let people know I used to work there. By the end of my time the company was on the fast downward spiral. I'm only glad I got out when I did. Do I regret my time there? No. I worked with a lot of great people during my time there. I learned from some great people. I even taught some good people. Unfortunately upper management got this idea in their heads that they could do anything and the public would have no choice but to deal with it. As they were the only Deutz, Perkins, and Industrial Volvo Penta dealer. That was when it all went downhill. As it stands right now I would go out of my way to avoid any dealings with this company now. They are unreliable, in both sales and especially service.

Now normally I would never even post a review but I read one that was clearly posted by upper management. It was more like a job posting than a review. Following true to their deceitful ways. Which after all my years working there and seeing this first hand, figured if I can save 1 person from wrecking their career there then it was worth it.

I truly hope that Simson-Maxwell learns from the mistakes they have and are currently still making and turns the company around as it could be a great place to work again. But unfortunately at this time it's not.
Pros
Alot of good people no longer work there anymore.
Cons
No training, thrown to the wolves, zero customer service, poor company reputation.
good work enviroment, positive changes in upper management
Service (Current Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC22 August 2017
Simson Maxwell is a great company to work for. If you are a hard worker and dedicated employee, it does not go unnoticed. I personally feel that the recent changes in upper management are having a positive effect on the company as a whole. I look forward to continuing my career here.
Pros
opportunity to move up, great upper management who are very approachable
Cons
no longer doing social activities outside of work
Excellent company
Directeur Régional, Est du Canada (Former Employee) –  Montréal-Ouest, QC11 July 2017
Hardworking fun group that allows and welcomes different opinions and perspectives. The owners are forward thinkers and the managers know thier stuff.
Small Company Feel with Big Corporate Impact
Working for a better tomorrow (Current Employee) –  Corporate1 March 2017
Simson Maxwell has been in business since 1941 - and that isn't by accident.

Even through very difficult economic times in the industry, the company seeks strategies to try to preserve jobs and offer opportunities for improvement through training using the job grants available.

If you are just looking for a job, maybe look elsewhere but if you want to grow a career with an organization that cares about your future - Simson Maxwell is the place you want to be!
Pros
Small Company Feel
Cons
Tough Economic Times in the Industry
Fun job ,zero leadership, left to fend the wolves alone
HEAVY DUTY FIELD TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  British Columbia21 February 2017
Fun job if your a self starter , there is no direction and management has no clue .Very minimal training ,and advancement,put into situations of promises and no follow through with company , run by other branch administrator with no clue of geoghrapy or job scope, terrible data entry records or cordinators just to lazy to care , or undertrained! Was dismissed for no apparent reason and told corporate restructuring! No notice walk in and gone , alot of hard work for nothing!
Pros
Copany vehicle, Benefits
Cons
Pay cuts and pension cancelled reduced work hours
all around great work experience
Shipper/Receiver (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB1 August 2016
great work environment, great management, good advancement. Shipping and receiving most of the day, put away the other part. I learned how to send across the border and better counting procedures. Management was great, very understanding and lots of knowledge. Co workers were great and no problems. Hardest part of the job was draining engine cores and sending them back for credit. Most enjoyable part was learning about parts in a calm environment.
sad enviroment
Shop Foreman (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB13 July 2016
very low morale , Very unorganized ,Very bad discussion making and planing, very little social skills, lack in training for there product
Pros
free lunch every three months
Cons
location
Hostile Environment
Inventory Clerk (Former Employee) –  Port Coquitlam, BC29 June 2016
Worked for this company for couple of months. In all my career this was the worst job. Management is clueless & incompetent, co-workers are unfriendly, malicious & bully, they'll belittle new employee & pick on petty things.
The management will hire you for one position after couple of weeks they'll press you to take responsibilities of other positions. You'll end up doing the job of three people for the wages of one. HR is inept, won't solve any of your problems.
Don't seek employment with this company if you are looking for a long-term employment in cordial working environment.
Pros
Cons
The worst company to work for
Dissapointed
Service tech (Former Employee) –  interor BC26 May 2015
working for Simson Maxwell was as said before very disappointing after all the big hype. A promise of seeing lots of overtime was a shamb - seek approval for anything over one hour! Get real. You are paid less then average ticketed rate to do a dual ticketed job. You aren't compensated for working out of town and if you pay for something on your own dime the company beats around the bush when it comes to reimbursement. Consider yourself warned.
good work place
Shipper/Receiver/Sitdown forklift operator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB7 May 2015
Really enjoyed working here it was industry that I lost my job. I worked with really good people and learned a lot from those very knowledgable people.
Pros
had a great manager
Cons
lossing job
A productive and fun environment
Accounting Clerk (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB22 April 2015
I really enjoyed my time at Simson Maxwell and the opportunities I was given to learn new things everyday.
The corporate culture is based on employee empowerment. The controller treats every employee like a member of his own family.
Family Oriented Company
Office Administrator & Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB4 September 2014
Working with Simson Maxwell was like working with Family. Every one worked close and everyone got along great. Company functions were a big part in every day, As the president would say ``if you weren`t having fun at least 3 out of 5 days then you weren`t happy with your job``
My review
Service Admin (Former Employee) –  Edmonton16 June 2014
Working for SimsonMaxwell was a very disappointing experience after great hype.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simson Maxwell. Our community is ready to answer.

Simson Maxwell Reviews by Location