Simon Fraser University Employee Reviews

Fun, interactive workplace
Ball Person (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 September 2019
In a typical day at work, my role was to work in a team environment and coordinate our responsibilities throughout the game. As the college players were on the field, I adapted to the rotation of the game and helped the referees and team by retrieving the ball. The most enjoyable part of this job was working in a team environment in a positive workplace.
I worked as a team player so it required lots of communication, patience and understanding and due to this the productivity of the work was better and
CLERK 5 (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 August 2019
the day starts with helping customers, attending phone queries, and responding to the emails.
I learned that different people have different needs and views.
Hardest part in any job is when the customers screams and swear at me.
The most enjoyable part for me at the job would be when I accomplish
a task successfully.
Pros
Extremely friendly environment and very approachable management team
Positive Experience
PEER MENTOR/BURNABY CAMPUS WELCOME LEADER (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC18 August 2019
Short term gig that could have turned into more but I turned down due to disinterest. Overall positive experience though, and could be even better for the right person.
A great learning environment
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 August 2019
Simon Fraser University is a great place for anyone who desires Grad School to further their education. The professors are very helpful and friendly. There are occasional socials for networking.
Pros
There are occasional socials for networking.
IT is an excellent place to work.
IT at SFU (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC9 August 2019
Most professional IT department in Vancouver. Highly regarded and respected throughout the higher education community, they lead in innovation and happy employees.
Run, run away screaming!
IT Consultant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 June 2019
There are some exceptions but for the most part it's a nightmare. Completely toxic culture. The staff there are mostly horrible to work with. They spend most of their days gossiping and trying to make other work groups look bad.
fun place
Student caller (Former Employee) –  burnaby,bc3 June 2019
great place to work. good managers. helpful co-workers. target oriented place. weekly snacks and parties. can get stressful. desk job. low pay but good experience
Hard work
Research assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC28 May 2019
Teaching at SFU is challenging work for many many reasons. I learned a lot from from doing this, and in many ways I would not be where I am without having done it.
Pros
learning
Cons
stress
Good employer and flexible
PYTHON DEVELOPER (PART TIME) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 April 2019
A good working environment. The work is clearly defined and any questions are promptly answered. Good people to work with. Work is mostly solo but a good experience overall.
Great place to work!
Student Temp Pool (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC15 March 2019
Being in the temp pool is a really great way to get started at SFU. Staff in the different departments are helpful, and nice - and the hours are great.
Office Politics and unions, few opportunities for growth in Student Services
Admin Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 March 2019
Worked at SFU for over 6 years professionally, but needed to leave to keep my sanity. Just disappointed I stayed as long as I did. The opportunities within Student Services are lacking unless you are with the in crowd.
Pros
Pension (currently...but isn't doing so well), Free tuition for yourself, spouse and dependents
Cons
The culture within Student Services is toxic, various people just waiting to retire, while the young talent deal with restructuring and office politics, Little opportunity for meaningful advancement with CUPE structure, APSA professional roles have poor work/life balance being promoted by the management, with overtime being expected almost year round due to staffing issues, The main campus is up on a mountain which isn't great during the snow
work life balance
student (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC12 February 2019
It is a good learning experience however each lab has its own way. The management is not following up with an established standard. There should be clear expectations from the beginning
great supports
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC31 January 2019
I was offered the teaching assistant position by Department of Mathematics, Simon Fraser University. The faculty and staff are supportive and helpful.
Great positions and excellent pay
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 January 2019
Lots of room for advancement and the pay is great. It is a little hard to get in and you may end up trying many times. It is best to start off in the temporary pool and work your way upwards. Persistence is key in getting in.

The workload depends on the project and the supervisor. If you plan on being in the research field, this is a great way to start
time spent
Community Investigator (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC10 January 2019
I am thankful that they are flexible and very accommodating. The times I have attended numerous meetings. The staff of the University were extremely helpful in guiding me to the right room.
Pros
very inclusive of marginalized populations
Cons
really don't have any
Being a TA was great, otherwise SFU doesn't seem to hire their own grads
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 December 2018
Teaching students was great. The pay as TA is not outstanding and it is a good amount of work. The university seems to pay some staff very well but I am not sure what one has to do to get one of those jobs, apparently getting a graduate degree plus tons of relevant work experience is not enough. A lot of the full-time, permanent staff members are unapproachable and a bit entitled.
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 November 2018
This is a great place to work; departments differ but the biology department is for the most part a great environment to work in. Sessional teaching positions and research assistantships are often available, faculty position also come up occasionally as well.
Good, bad, ugly
Faculty Associate/PDP Program (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 November 2018
There are opportunities for great professional development with extremely well educated professionals. lYearly, I lose pay compared to working as a full time teacher as it is not year round salary,. There is also little job stability
Great with flaws
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC13 November 2018
working for SFU was a great learning experience. The amount of access to materials and resources is highly admirable. I'd like to see further compensation within different sectors that need it most.
Pros
Resources and access
Cons
pay
Interesting work with rich job duties
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC7 November 2018
I have run two tutorials and held office hour each week to address students' course-related questions. Besides teaching, I also marked students' exams and presentation.

The work is heavy, but very fun and challenging to do. I have learned excellent multi-task and communication skills from this job.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simon Fraser University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2