Simon Fraser University

Simon Fraser University Employee Reviews

Canada158 reviews
fun within the environment full of student but there are a lot of rule on campus and you need to behave. not stressful. having a lot of opportunities there
It is a good experience with this univeristy. It is very remarkable to get educated here
Very active in creating new learning projects. Appreciate innovative ideas. Collaborate well with companies and research institutions. Very fair to employee.
A good working atmosphere here, people are friendly and you will learn a lot. The working culture here are also good, as your colleagues will teach you a lot.
I was a teaching assistant while I was a student at Simon Fraser University. Sometimes there was lots of work and it was a hard to stay on top of my own school work
Provided opportunities for students to grow. A typical day at work includes customer service, interacting with participants and supervising the rec center.
Pros
flexible hours
Volunteer for a Grad student on a product, it was a great learning for myself and the students. LOVED it. a great way to explore what they want to do..
Volunteering in a thesis project as a research participant was exciting, as the topic of the thesis was relevant to my life. Participants were provided with gift cards as compensation for their time.
Our lab allowed for an amazing growth opportunity, with a supervisor who ensured that we gained skills that would server us outside academia. Working as a teaching assistant provided a chance to improve public speaking abilities as well as the critical thinking needed to convey material to students.
Really great experience. Learning so much. Ability to work remotely from Ontario is a huge plus. Collaboration with many other researchers and freedom to work on my own hours.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Simon Fraser University?
Typical day was ok. I learned about genetic sequence analysis, scripting, cluster computing. Management was ok, could be improved. The workplace culture was different as is a university rather than a conventional environment .
Kick-started my career as a research assistant there. Learned a lot about employment systems in Canada and in the Academic field.
There are lots of options and opportunities, one needs to know what they want and go for it.
Not only was I able to learn lab techniques, I was also able to learn more about higher education options and how to develop my reach technician profile.
SFU is a place of anxiety and pain. Do yourself a favour and get out instead of getting involved.

Management is oppressive, oversight of how your immediate superiors treat you is anything from lax to nonexistent and the system seems to rely on whoever the present lowest employee level is working extra hours unpaid. If you care about the overall health of the school then you'll be crying trying to alter things, but if you only care about your own butt then you might enjoy life under some one of SFU's many rocks of nonsense.
Pros
There are some cool people here
Cons
Miasma of fear and oppression, devious management, wage calculated to make life so hard you go into debt
If you never become involved with HR labour relations side of this institution it seems like it is run pretty well except.

Like most public institutions there are too many mangers and too much bureaucracy but that is par for the course.
Pros
Generally a good cooperative atmosphere
Cons
commuter campus with minimal and expensive parking
very friendly environment with helpful bosses, many opportunities to move up in ranks. Got to work with lots of kids which was by far the best part of the job
Pros
pay was very good
Cons
long trips to get to job
My position often varied from week to week due to the diverse amount of projects and the different requests from different departments. This really helped me get exposed to a lot of different jobs and skills.I did not like dealing with waiting for different people to e-mail me back through the processes of the projects. I was always quite busy and it slowed me down a lot when clients would take longer than a week to respond about projects they asked me to do. However, my coworkers made up for any annoyances I had. I worked with a lot of SFU students so we got along quite well. Since they were senior students, I learned a lot from them as well.
Pros
Great work culture
Cons
A lot of busy clients to wait on
It was fun working with the student callers and watching them grow into their roles. Experience wasn't as important as your level of education. Financial goals were reached which was the best outcome
Pros
The hours were perfect
Cons
Management was challenging.
If you love reading academic texts and writing up long, advanced arguments about the state of your field of study then academia is for you. Your success is exactly what you put in and is definitely not for the lazy or faint of heart.
Pros
Fairly flexible and free working hours
Cons
Stress, writer's block, arguments and disagreements with peers common
As a work place, SFU always advocates cultural diversity and a respectful working environment. It always provides different opportunities for its employees to grow.
Pros
Free lunches all the time
Cons
on the mountain
Simon Fraser University allows its student to keep working and learning about their careers as they study through a work-study program. I have been working through this program since I started university at SFU.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simon Fraser University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2