Simon Fraser University Pay & Benefits reviews

Being a TA was great, otherwise SFU doesn't seem to hire their own grads
Teaching Assistant (TA) (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 December 2018
Teaching students was great. The pay as TA is not outstanding and it is a good amount of work. The university seems to pay some staff very well but I am not sure what one has to do to get one of those jobs, apparently getting a graduate degree plus tons of relevant work experience is not enough. A lot of the full-time, permanent staff members are unapproachable and a bit entitled.
Good, bad, ugly
Faculty Associate/PDP Program (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC21 November 2018
There are opportunities for great professional development with extremely well educated professionals. lYearly, I lose pay compared to working as a full time teacher as it is not year round salary,. There is also little job stability
Great with flaws
TEACHING ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC13 November 2018
working for SFU was a great learning experience. The amount of access to materials and resources is highly admirable. I'd like to see further compensation within different sectors that need it most.
Pros
Resources and access
Cons
pay
Exciting
Research Participant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON17 August 2018
Volunteering in a thesis project as a research participant was exciting, as the topic of the thesis was relevant to my life. Participants were provided with gift cards as compensation for their time.
engaging workplace
Track and Field Youth Camp Leader (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC8 April 2018
very friendly environment with helpful bosses, many opportunities to move up in ranks. Got to work with lots of kids which was by far the best part of the job
Pros
pay was very good
Cons
long trips to get to job
University Life Style
Undergraduate & Department Secretary (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC23 February 2018
Very academic so good for those who enjoy the academic lifestyle. Systems are all UBC so a huge learning curve for those coming from the outside having to learn them.
Pros
Hours - Short
Cons
Can be boring the work.
Very friendly people
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC25 January 2018
warm and friendly people
payscale can be bit better, and also the transportation costs could be given by the school as every day i had to travel long distance
Supportive staff, engaged students, low pay
Instructor (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 November 2017
For the short time I have been there, staff has been supportive and the students have been highly engaged. This is all good. The pay is considerably below the value I provide, though.
workstudy is the best thing you can do
Archaeology Lab assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC14 September 2017
workstudy is an amazing program that every student needs to apply for. it benefits each student to do work in their program of study before getting into the real world. loved the experience.
my thoughts
Indigenous Co-op Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 April 2017
This is a newly created role, marketing is the biggest hurdle, finding access to students is a process but worth it. I truly enjoyed it here, unfortunately it is based on contract. I need job stability that will allow me to enjoy my holidays and benefits with my family.
Pros
excellent support networks
Rewarding student position
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC20 November 2016
- Consistent and manageable hours
- Salary is flat rate
- Management and co-workers depends on your instructor and other TAs
- Hardest part is clearly communicating steps and solution to learning material
- Most enjoyable is engaging with students about their personal interests
Great Place to work while I completed my education.
Customer Service Associate/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC10 November 2016
Great People and a great place to work. I lived only two minutes walk from my job so it was pretty much ideal. I learned every aspect of retail operations to some extent, and had the chance to do basically everything as there was no manager in the store to direct our work most of the time.
Pros
Good Salary and Benefits
Productive and supportive workplace with great staff and various departments to work for
Human Resources Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC26 June 2016
Great place to work for with variety of departments to work under. Great supportive staff and environment. Lots of great benefits and good job security. However, the pace of the organization is a little slow given that it is in public sector and in a union environment. Would be great for professionals later in their career stage looking to settle down and not have a high demand for change.
Educational and rewarding environment
Teaching Assistant and Tutor Marker (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC24 April 2016
TA and TM positions require patience, discipline and hardwork particularly for first year courses. If you get positive feedback and students are receptive to your input then it can be a very rewarding job. However, for the amount of work you do particularly outside the hours you don't get paid nearly enough.
Interesting, fun and excellent place to work
Financial Analyst (Current Employee) –  Finance26 July 2015
Good place to work, steady workload, not a significant amount of overtime, excellent work/life balance, a lot of autonomy, interesting projects and a good / friendly work culture.
Pros
Potential flex work week schedule and 4 weeks vacation to start
Cons
Limited career advancement opportunities. Some (minor) bureaucracy
Welcome to the boys Club
Project Lead (Current Employee) –  SFU Burnaby23 June 2015
This is a great place to work, even more so if you are a guy. I have worked here for almost 2 years and I have only ever seen 1 non-male employee. Which is the biggest drawback to working here, I can't confirm if my managers are actually sexist or if they just don't have any female applicants but regardless it is very weird to have 0 women on staff. Other then that these guys are great, they work with you about your schedule and they are always willing to train you up to make sure you know what you are doing. The salary could be better but I understand why it is what it is.
Pros
learn new stuff, make friends, have fun
Cons
potentially sexist managers.
Enjoyable and helped develop my interpersonal skills
Recreation Sports Manager, Part time, 8hrs/wk (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC19 May 2015
My position as a Recreation Manager for SFU Recreation required versatility, a team mentality and excellent interpersonal skills. I was a fitting representative for SFU Recreation, where they promote active living and personal health in student life. I have received the Recreational Promotion and Leadership Awards multiple times in my time with this organization. This position required multitasking through managing multiple sport leagues with diverse teams of students, who differ in majors and years of study. In every semester, I am responsible for upwards of 200 participants and 10 staff members, of which I am the main point of communication. In my evaluation meetings, I am praised for my ability to form positive relationships with many participants.
Fun to work
Teaching Assistant Economics (Current Employee) –  Economics18 September 2014
great benefits

enjoyed working with students.

friendly staff
A great institution
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC11 August 2014
Simone Fraser University was a very nice place to work and the people were great.
Pros
Excellent location, great people, nice salary
Cons
No cleanroom facilities
Great University to work with
Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burnaby, BC22 November 2013
As one of the top Economics department, SFU is definitely a great university to work with. It provides nice offices for staffs, and the secretary there are nice and helpful. The best thing is that you get all the free time and free style of teaching as a teaching assistant.
Pros
freedom
Cons
Salary is not high

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Simon Fraser University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2